main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Official Events-June/July

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Greetings, all. Hope you're enjoying the growing warmth and sunshine, as we head into a glorious summer here at the Base.

This thread is to post announcements and dates for our planned upcoming events.

Many options have been discussed at the last few meetings, but few firm dates for things have been decided upon, so check back frequently to make a note of when we'll be doing what!

Upcoming activities include: a Thetis Lake hike and picnic; Camping on Gambier Island; horseback riding (lessons first, then a trail ride); laser tag; and laser bowling. Some others we may want to consider would be attending a movie (Terminator 3 opens July 2...); and a barbecue at a member's house, to celebrate Canada Day, perhaps? We also need to have a photo session to get member's pics for the website.

Dates are open except for the Camping to Endor weekend, which Sionnach is hosting at her family's cabin: that will be June 20-22: see this thread for details.

I'd like to host something at my place or perhaps do the Thetis Lake thing the weekend after next: June 13-15, for personal reasons.

Any dates for which anyone would like to do a specific event, please post it here.

More soon, I hope!

*Derisa*

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    What?: Canada Day gathering, barbeque and water fight. Starting the festivities off with a viewing of the annual Drag Baseball game, at Topaz park, then it's back to Derisa's place for an evening of conviviality and beverages (!) and a Canada Day Barbeque.

When?: July 1, 2003, starting at one-ish

Where?: Topaz Park, (Allard will provide details of the public venue as soon as he finds them) then Derisa's place. (PM me for address and directions.) We may go somewhere after dark to view fireworks.(We're open to suggestions).

Bring your own?: Bevvies; meat for the grill; water blasters and bombs.

What do you wear?: Sunscreen and civvies; swimsuits are okay for the evening. Bonus points for wearing red and white!

See you there!

*Derisa*

3. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Hey everybody, Topaz park at noon is the current schedule for the Drag Baseball Game. Topaz Park is just a few blocks up from my place on Blanshard. Hope to see you guys there and remember to bring sunscreen.

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, I've got my meat for the grill tomorrow....so's all I can say right now is....this had better still be on, and what's more, it would certainly be nice if the weather were to cooperate tomorrow to boot....because otherwise....well, I know that I personally don't have a BBQ here - so what I'd be doing with all this chicken, I really have no idea. :) Fingers and toes crossed, then, that the weather still holds.... And, by the way - I personally was not able to locate any sort of aquatic weaponry....although I trust....that this shouldn't pose that big a problem....in a group setting, that is....
    Dawn.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, I had a lot of fun at the BBQ yesterday, and I hope everyone else did as well! Thanks all for coming, and for the grand job Vills and her sexy friend did on my kitchen! :) The wtaerfight was a blast, except for Pol's banging his foot and aggravating his already injured toe, and Sheree, our one non-club member guest seemed to have a good time watching us get good and wet. (I'm glad I wore my helmet! :) )

Any chance Janitor Fett will post up any half-decent shots?

In other event news, it looks like most of us are game to go to the premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean on July 9. I'll go searching for more details, check back for updates, or check Alakin's Movie of the Week thread. Suggestions as to theatre of choice, costumes or not, that sort of thing, post here! See y'all soon! :)

*Derisa*

6. C4-One25

C4-One25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    well...i send my regrets for missing the festivities.....such is life....oh well, lets move onto the next thing!

7. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    Thanks for having us all over, Derisa! That was a great Canada Day celebration. And frankly, any afternoon full of sun, good barbeque, and water balloons is a good thing! Oh yes, and dragball of course...
    [image=http://images.flagspot.net/c/ca.gif]
    You may think that the kitchen raid was a good thing, but I can get compulsive sometimes... :p The waterfight was great! "Watch out, I have a TROUGH!" I'm glad that there was lots of ammo to go around, though our most junior attendee didn't quite get the idea that when you get someone wet, THAT person will want to get you, too! :)

Now, to plan an excursion to Thetis Lake, perhaps?

-Vills

8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thetis Lake... yeah. What days work for peeps? Keep in mind Thetis is as busy as heck on weekends... I recommend a weekday, if we can find a co-ordinateable day? Suggestions folks?

*Derisa*

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I wonder if Vills and her sexy friend have dried out yet.... :) Cor, I've never seen anyone get *that* soaked....impressive, most impressive....and looking at it, I think I'm still glad that I wisely decided to not get in the middle of that. When in doubt, act like Switzerland....

And - I helped out with the kitchen too, I'll have you know! :) There was an entire small pack of kitchen elves at work there.... *doesn't want to be overlooked again*

Dawn.

10. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    Dawn- I make it a personal practice never to dry up.... :)

As far as daytime activities go, Mondays and Tuesdays are the only days that work for my work schedule. I know that JF can only come on Tuesdays as well. How does that work with everyone else?

One other thing= the best place on Thetis isn't very kid friendly. Is that going to be a problem?

-Vills

11. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    Weekdays at Thetis would be cool..but I'm betting from the previous post that people are suggesting during the day and being a fully employed big title person I probably will miss out again....*shrugs*....I'll send along my stuffed husky puppy as a friendly reminder of my evil presence....WOOF WOOF!

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Tuesday at Thetis Lake starting in the afternoon and going till the place gets packed would work well for me... how does next Tuesday sound for everyone? Say 2pm till six-ish? Then our employed member(s) could come by for a space after work. ;)

(And Vills, my kids love the big sand beach: we'll make sure to bring along their buckets and spades and trucks to play with.)

I guess it'd be wise to bring your own munchings and crunchings, too, if we're going to be tehre for several hours.

*Derisa*

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Someone please refresh my memory....where is Thetis Lake again, and how does one get there? (as one of the aforementioned employed, I wouldn't be making it until that later time, if at all, depending....) Thanks.... :)

Dawn.

14. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    Sounds good to me! Most people I have mentioned it to can make it. My favourite thing to do at the Lake is to swim to Goose **** Island. :p But I'm a fan of the beach as well, let's hope that the area isn't too busy!

Okay, see y'all there on Tuesday! :)

-Vills

15. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *prods* Okay....is anyone going to give some kind of directions to Thetis Lake, a sense of where it is and how to get there....for those of us who, more or less, really don't know? The directions would be coming in pretty handy right about now, methinks....

Dawn.

16. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    Okay....confirmation time......'sup in the hood for tomorrow??
    We on/We off???

17. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    We're on as far as I know, except Derisa's got a pretty full day tomorrow (Tuesday the 8th) with work. Since I'll be at her house most of the morning watching her kids for her, phone Derisa's to speak to either her or myself to clarify directions to Thetis or arrange *limited* transportation in my van (space is limited, and you'll have to make your own way to Derisa's house).

- Rani

18. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    It was a great time had by all. Although not much of a swimmer myself, Rani kept me company on land as Derisa and kids got wet. All in all the afternoon was great fun. Cribbabe, Yahtzee and sand castles, how can you go wrong? Looking forward to similar outings soon.

19. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    work sucks

20. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I rather hope that in future, the necessary information regarding directions, and if necessary where and from whom to acquire them, can be disseminated much more readily, and substantially earlier....than the very morning of the event itself. That doesn't count as much in the way of real, helpful advance warning, given the work schedules that some of us keep. And without that needful, merited information that allows us to plan satisfactorily....matters can all too quickly go awry.

Dawn.

21. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    It might have been best if you called someone when your first post on the location of this event was missed.

As a project manager, I can understand how you might feel slighted. However, considering that I deal with jobs in excess of half a million dollars on a daily level, I know well that a simple phone call often sets the most precarious of situations straight and leave everyone smiling at the end of the day.

Forums are great for posting some information, but if you have questions, its often best to have a voice conversation.

As for work schedules.....when I put in 50-60 hours a week and spend a goodly portion of that time trying to work remotely, I can appreciate how difficult it is to run any group and keep everyone happy.

Be constructive and offer suggestions of how these sorts of situations could be dealt with more effectively in the future.

22. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Since you didn't call Derisa's for directions or a ride, Dawn, either you knew how to get there by yourself or you weren't interested in coming (like just about everyone else when they looked out there window this morning), so precisely what difference would your knowing a day earlier have made in this particular case?

- Rani

23. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    I apologize for bringing up old news, but JF has posted up the photos from the Canada Day picnic! I particularily like the ones from DragBall, taken par moi! :p

Canada Day DragBall and barbeque

There are quite a few photos unrelated to the exact day, so feel free to skip ahead. Too bad we don't get too see how drenched we all got! But... stylin' helmet, Derisa! :)

-Vills

24. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    Up, Up, I command you!!!! :)

Sooooo, what's up for September people? Or am I flogging the deceased equine thread?

-Vills

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.