main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Expanded Universe Discussion Thread~~ Current Topic: Backlashes against EU characters

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by BultarSwan, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    The Scene Where the Shaper lost her hand was perhaps one of the most graphic parts of the Whole series, but I think it served purpose in the story. It showcased how Fanatical the The Yuuzhan Vong were and it proved there was no limit to what they would do.

2. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I also agree with Joda. I found myself walking away from the NJO still angry. The glalaxy, which had seen terrible fighting for years had finally had a brief respite of peace with the Bastion Accords. Barely a decade later, much of what was the GFFA was a mutated, burnt, ravaged ruin. Coruscant was we know it is forever gone. Ithor is another Caamas. Entire races were wiped out in a scale even Palpatine might have given pause to. (mostly because he wanted subjects to rule, not for any morality :p )

One of the moments that best captured this for me was in Allston's Rebel Dream, where Wedge dressed down the usurper Chief of State Pwoe. The frustration, the sheer anger and seeing all he'd fought for, decades of losing friends, of sacrifice, all wiped away so quickly.

I feel rather ambivalent toward the post-NJO books coming out simply because I worry that the joy I took in reading the EU since HttE came out will be gone.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The joy of Star Wars will be gone because the post-NJO books are going to focus on the Jedi kicking the arse of the next galactic conquerer. I think that plot is getting a little old now and so are the Jedi themselves. Del Ray should focus on creating whole new characters, characters from the populace who arent force-sensitive, rich, powerful, or bloody famous. We should have stories focusing on the populace struggling to survive, a greedy pirate trying to take advantage of the situation in a remote region of the galaxy where the only Republic/Imperial support is a squadron of run down fighters or a small capital ship. A greedy banker usurping a planetary governor and turning the world into his own money making machine. Things like that or close to it. Del Ray needs to create new Han Solos. New Chewbaccas. New Leias and Lukes and so on.

Would you all not be interested in something like that than what the Dark Nest trilogy is going to be about and who it focuses on?

4. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I would like to say that I think that the NJO wasn't all that violent. I think it was just right. IMHO.

[face_skull]darth_nemisis[face_skull]

5. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Alright alright.

I've been gone too long, but here i am to restart this grand ole thread.

NEW TOPIC!

Borsk Fey'lya. Just a ruthless powermongerer, or did he truly believe what he did was right?

Discuss.

6. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Anyone?

7. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I thought Fey'lya's death was very touching in Star by Star. He was a broken thing that saw the galaxy he was supposed to protect crumbling down around him...

So he did what he could and tried to take down as much Yuzzhan Vong as he could with his death. He even endured great pain to try to get as many high ranking officers, including Warmaster Lah (Tsa Vong, I forget how his first name was spelled), as he could.

Although I feel Fey'lya was a horrible leader for the New Republic, his noble actions at his death kind of redeemed himself in my eyes. And Pwoe was no better.

Cal Omas had promise though....

8. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    (yay! my topic!)

I think Borsk really DID believe that the galaxy would be best with him in charge, and that ANYTHING was justified if it got him in power, becuase then he could bring about a new age of peace.

I really wonder what would have happened under Borsky if the Vong hadn't invaded.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I hate the little furball, but even I must admit that he probably thought what he was doing was for the good of the New Republic.

How in the nine hells of Corellia he could think like that is beyond a relatively simple man such as myself.

Seriously...what the hell was going through that idiot's head? And how did he get elected?

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Fey'lya, I feel, honestly was trying to help the New Republic, but at the same time wanted to make a profit, and promote the Bothan race.

His greed got teh best of him at times, and time and time again, the heros warned him of something, they were right, but he didn't believe them, but in the next book, he completely disregard their word.

Most of the time, he was a complete ass, so that he could gain power, or gain money. But in his final moments, he realised that there was nothing he can do, he can't get away. He should try and kill as many of the enemy as possible.

11. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I think the problem inherent with Fey'lya is one that is ultimately inherent with the Bothan society. IIRC, when he was introduced in the Thrawn trilogy Leia made a comment to the effect of saying that he plays by Bothan rules, and that's just how Bothans do politics. So he sees no wrong with how he does things, because that's all he knows, and others just don't play the game as well as he does. Also, I believe that his sacrifice in SbS shows that ultimately he had the good of the Republic in mind.

My preciousss...

12. DemonPrincess

DemonPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2004
    It seems to me that Borsk was a grasping, selfish, horrid lifeform for most of his career. But this was certainly not so when he died. I don't think he had the good of the NR foremost in his thoughts all the time. Perhaps not even most of the time. But something changed during the NJO and by the time of his untimely death, he was putting the NR first. He's one of those characters I love to hate, but to my eternal frustration, he redeemed himself in the end, so I can't hate him too much.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He didn't care about anything or anyone. He killed himself because he knew his political career was over.

He was worthless.

14. Gangrenous12

Gangrenous12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Unfortunately, Fey'lya is simply a nature of his species. His conniving, greedy, self-serving ways are standard cultural/biological instincts for the Bothan species.

That said, Fey'lya's accusations that Admiral Ackbar committed treason can never be forgiven. Not even with Fey'lya's death. There is absolutely no justification for such a wild and baseless accusation. Not even in regular Bothan society.

Fey'lya's downfall has come because of his presumed rivalry with Ackbar (in reality, they never were rivals - Ackbar was so much on a higher plane than Borsk.) And this insecurity on Fey'lya's part caused him to do some pretty ridiculous and unforgiveable actions.

Borsk always was plagued by his jealousy of the Mon Cals.

And this jealousy is what caused more than a decade of malfeasance and gross negligence on the part of Fey'lya and through him, the New Republic.

Furthermore, during his time as a New Republic representative, he gave clandestine support for the rogue, Garm bel Iblis at the New Republic's expense.

He ought to have been shot for treason long before he had to kill himself taking out some Yuuzhan Vong.

15. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    "How in the nine hells of Corellia he could think like that is beyond a relatively simple man such as myself.

Seriously...what the hell was going through that idiot's head?"

He'd probably made all sorts of plans for re-unifying the galaxy. Plans to restore peace, to end all the wars.

Plans that, of course, only HE could implement (at least, that's what he thought).

So anything that got him into that Chief Of State seat was justified. Because he'd make it up to the galaxy once he was there.

16. Ackyuna

Ackyuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Um... if you were a senator, and someone said that weird aliens with crazy biotech came out from another galaxy (which was known to be impossible before the Yuuzhang Vong) how would you respond. He thought it wasn't true, because it was so far-fetched, but it was true. Borsk Fey'lya is a noble senator who made a sacrafice is SBS. (I would have like Admiral Ackbar do that in TUF but no, they gave him a puny death... Damn you James Luceno!)

17. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Fey'lya might have been playing by bothan politics, but it is obviously extremely limited to Bothan Polititions, not at all related with their mind set. Asyr Sey'lyar was a perfictly good Bothan, nothing like the corupt and selfish Borsk.

18. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002

"As sole heir to the throne, did Tenel Ka have any right to avoid becoming Queen of Hapes and deny her heritage? Or should she have been encouraged to make her own decision, as her parents believed in the Young Jedi Knights series?"

Discuss

19. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I think it was right for her to try to find her own path, instead of just becoming a vapid Hapan court monkey like her cousins. If she didn't embrace her Dathomir and Jedi heritage, she probably wouldn't be as strong a person as she currently is. Without all the character building that she forced herself through, she probably would've folded during the events of Dark Journey.

20. Ackyuna

Ackyuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Well, they needed a leader for the Hapans, and she WAS the only one handy. The Queen of Hapes can do much more a single (probally not two but...) jedi. A jedi/leader of Hapes is pretty good.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    She should've been given a choice, but in the end, the noble lass would've chosen to rule Hapes.

Not that that would've precluded her and Jacen hooking up. But no, the NJO had to kriff that up, along with everything else. Honestly. Those two were destined to be together-well, YJK Jacen and Tenel Ka. The abomination known as NJO Jacen wasn't meant for such a wonderful person.

22. Ylesly

Ylesly Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 9, 2004
    *nods in agreement*

darn njo

23. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    the only real problem I have with Tenel Ka being Queen Mother of Hapes is that for some reason DR thinks that means her and Jacen can't be together. Other than that, she's just the sort of honest, respectable, and kick arse person the Hapes Cluster needs to get it back into the galactic swing of things.

24. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Alright folks, i have totally run out of ideas to place in this thread. This means either you have to send me more ideas, or i start comming up with horrid new ideas i thought up within 15 seconds after writing this post.

:p

25. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002

A government as large as the Old Republic encompassing so many species, should it have been done in the first place? A million systems, should they have been ruled from one planet? Should the republic been broken up into regions?

Discuss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.