main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Expanded Universe Discussion Thread~~ Current Topic: Backlashes against EU characters

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by BultarSwan, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This begs the question of why disorder is present in the "house" to begin with. People do not generally rebel without a reason. Something must occur, or some problem must exist in society, which eventually forces them to take action.

This is true. However, I must point out something I had said earlier: the Rebellion was founded by greedy and corrupt senators. The selfsame senators that filled their pockets while the masses suffered in the Republic have founded the so called 'Alliance to Restore the Republic'. Given that the New Order is merely a reform of the Galactic Republic, it seems that all they wish to restore is the corruption and greed that ran rampant in the pre-New Order days.

Again, consider that the senators were so wealthy that they could fund the entire Rebellion themselves. Recall that Lando and Luke frequently made mention in Shadows of the Empire of using Leia's vast personal wealth to help them buy weaponry. If these so-called heroes had so much wealth, how did they get them? Why did they not use it to enrich others?

Surely, some people in the Rebellion were operating under a just cause. Wedge Antilles, for instance, was by no means corrupt. Unfortunately these few were mislead by the power-hungry leaders of the Rebellion.

The Bothans are a key example of this. Note how they only joined the Rebellion after it was clear that the Rebels were capable of winning the war. Many of the Rebellion's highest members were corrupt individuals seeking only personal gain. We only need to look to the earliest stages of the 'New Republic' to see how quickly they went back to the old ways of the corrupted Old Republic.

Not even the rank-and-file of the Rebellion is innocent! The Rebellion frequently used smugglers and pirates because they had greviances against law and order, and they had no qualms about using any methods necessary to kill Imperial officials. They even made a notorious narcotics smuggler, Han Solo, into one of their highest generals! Is this just? Is this right?

Or is it purely criminal?

The Rebellion fights for freedom, alright. The freedom to abuse and steal and corrupt.

Now, if I understand your above interpetation of the Doctrine correctly, it does nothing but prolong the conflict. Say a group demands the resolution of a conflict, so the government develops a source of fear to curb the dissent. The dissent continues, so the threat is acted upon. As a result, the dissent is momentarily curbed. But it will eventually rise again, threats will once again be made, and we never have resolution. So while this "solution" may work in the short term and prevent further conflicts, in the long term it probably causes more destruction, because it doesn't get to the root of the problem.

No, of course it doesn't. The Tarkin Doctrine is a preventative measure. It's not meant to halt the reason for such conflicts.

That's what the precepts of the New Order are for. Civilized culture and education will stop such violent conflicts from occuring. :)

When people are naturally inclined to violence, and when the previous government was so negligent and lax, it is expected that some might be upset. The New Order is geared towards making society as a whole more receptive to the idea of law and order. Justice would become not only an instrument of the government, but a notion shared and felt by all alike. It's a very unifying policy.

The rebels may have taken criminal actions in their quest to subvert the Empire, but one must consider their reasoning for doing so. To answer an early question of this debate: did they use terror tactics? I think we've seen enough to evidence to say that yes, they did. Does that make them terrorists? I suppose if we are to go by the black and white dictionary definition, then yes. But I believe this is one of those times where the dictionary definition just doesn't cut it. We need to consider their motivations and the circumstances that forced them to tak

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, I'm looking at the Dark Empire Sourcebook, the color insets, like the fifth or sixth page. It's showing a World Devastator with the quote.

When the Emperor created the Death Star, Calamari was at the top of the list of worlds scheduled to be annihilated by that dreadful battle station...

And there's been something I've been meaning to ask. I'm just throwing this out. Pro-Imperialists say that everything has a pro-rebel slant due to the 'Journal of the Whills' statement at the beginning of the ANH novelization. If that is the case, then how do we know what's what? Shouldn't there be some bedrock reality that we have to deal with?

If we can't take anything at face value, then what good is it discussing this in the first place?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmph. Yet another 'Dark Empire' related claim. I am beginning to wish that monstrocity was never canon.

Very well, then, apparently Mon Cal is on the Death Star's 'To Blow Up' list...

Yet I would point out that the Sourcebook is erroneous in indicating that Palpatine had anything to do with it. The Death Star was fully under the command of Tarkin.

EDIT:

If we can't take anything at face value, then what good is it discussing this in the first place?

History is written by the victors. Yet, we still discuss and debate it.

Supposing it's the same with Star Wars, then there's all the MORE reason to debate it if everything isn't as it seems. ;)

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    ...I am so not getting into a canon debate with you, Jello. I'd get my butt handed to me on a silver platter...

;)

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Would you like fries with that? Gourmet fries, I assure you!

;)

6. Empire101

Empire101 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    The Empire did form a peace over the Galaxy and fixed what the republic during the Clone Wars started.

"That would be a dictatorship"-Amidala

"Well, if it works"-Anikan

7. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    All right, it is that time all ready!! New topic!!!

TOPIC

Mara Jade...

Was she the right choice for Luke Skywalker? Would she have been better off as a character remaining Imperial, serving as an Emperor's Hand or just working for Talon Karrde as his second lieutenant in the smuggler's business? Or perhaps just another force-user thrown out in the galaxy to make interesting adventures? And if not Luke, then who would have made a better choice for her as husband? Kyle Katarn?

8. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I don't know who would take her place, but I think she would have had a much more interesting role to play if she had remained the Emperor's Hand. It seems like her strongest character traits faded after she married Luke.

9. WykdJedi

WykdJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    I think they make a great pairing... Mara to see that there is something that can be positive in her life, and Luke can finally have someone he loves without losing her to some tragedy...

10. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Mara is perfect for Luke. They work great in Survivor's Quest and the NJO. Karrde's got Shada now and the Imps have Pellaeon. I think it is fine the way it is.

11. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Geez, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. The Empire debate was fun to read. My opinion: the Rebels used whatever means necessary to get the Empire defeated. And vice versa with the Empire. I still believe the Rebels were terrorists, though. Now then!

I don't think Mara was right for Luke. She had wanted to kill him because the Emperor told her to, so since something would happen where she'd be prevented from doing so, some genuine anger had to be there. Granted, eventually it would have faded, but she always seemed better off as a friend/informant of his. I always thought Callista would have been better. Yeah, she left so she could get her powers back, but that wasn't going to happen without her going to the Dark Side. Why couldn't Luke've helped her go to the DS like he did in Dark Empire, and then bring her back? It might've worked. And if that didn't work, their relationship could've still worked, if she had truly loved him. If I love someone enough, I'll stay with them no matter what. But anyhew-it would have been interesting to see Mara as Karrde's second, with Jedi powers. The story featuring her in "Tales from the New Republic" was great-I enjoyed it thoroughly. For her husband-I never really saw her as married. The only person I can think of that might have worked was Lando. Just kidding. [face_laugh] A whole series of her discovering other former Imperials and them joining up would have also been interesting. For the time being, I see her as a bachelor girl.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Bachlorette.

I think Mara becoming a Jedi has destroyed her character. She was better off as this bad attitude ex-assassin who worked for a bunch of smugglers. If she wanted to broaden her force ability she should have just gone to the Academy, got some lessons and returned to her previous work. She would have been happier as a freelancer and with no restrictions on her life. From what I have read in the post HoT Duology novels, Mara seems rather unhappy despite her marriage to Luke. I believe she deeply misses being a freelancer and roaming the galaxy to find trouble and adventure.

As for Luke being her husband, I do not believe he was the right choice for her. She is an ex-Imperial, an ex-asssassin, and a smuggler. Her political views deferr from those of the Republic and the Jedi. She is drawn to the Empire as seen in SQ and she liked her previous Imperial life a lot more than she wants to admit.

Who would have made a better husband for her? Possibly someone who has similiar interests as hers and enjoys the life of a freelancer. Not a Jedi Master who has a guilt trip every five seconds because he had fallen to the Darkside and did bad things.

13. Empire101

Empire101 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    I think that they are a good pair for future stories because of their newborn son Ben.

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm not sure if Mara was THE right choice for Luke, but she would have been good for him. She could have gotten him to (*gasp*) lighten up a little, snap out of this moping around phase he'd been in for books upon books. She's a woman of action, and she could have helped Luke remember how he used to actually DO things.

All in past tense, as Del Rey did vile and evil things to her and this never came to be. :_|

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I will never forgive her for betraying her oath to the Empire and revealing the location of the Emperor's Storehouse on Mt. Tantiss.

As Mitth said, though, she is clearly unsuitable to be married to a Jedi Master and has undergone such changes to be nearly unrecognizeable from what she was before.

Granted, people do this--but was it the best thing for her character?

Not likely.

16. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    All right. I suppose the Mara character might have been able to pull off marriage to an enemy, but being a MOTHER??? Give me a break! She goes from being Sith Lord's personal assasin to mommy?

17. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    My .02

Mara, when introduced, was a very fascinating character to me. She pulled no punches, and I liked someone who would do that with Luke, Leia, and Han. And muc of the time, they reciprocated, making an interesting dynamic.

As for her being the best choice, that is debatable (hence this debate :p ) They do balance each other's strengths and weaknesses well, and make a heck of a good team. Are they perfect? Not really, but they are good together.

And I would disagree about Mara's decision to become a mother, Swan. If an ex-rebel princess who's the #2 person of the fledgling governemnt (and very shortly therafter, the head of said governemnt) wants a career, a little too much action, a fairly stable marriage, AND children, why should we begrduge Mrs. Jade Skywalker the same opportunity?

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Mara had enough action before she went to bed with Master Skywalker.

19. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Why do you dislike her so much, Jello? :p I don't think we can blame her for not remaining loyal to the Empire after all that Palpatine did to her. It's natural that she would want to get as far away from that life as possible and begin the healing process. That's where Luke was really able to help her-- helping himself in the process-- and it's no wonder they ended up together.

I think Mara was a great choice for Luke. The romance seemed a bit contrived at first, but as more novels elaborated on their relationship, it seemed to work. They really do complement each other. Marrying Luke and going over to the "other side," so to speak, changed her character but did not ruin it. My thought is that she would have been a static, dead-end character had she stayed with the Imperials or smugglers. At least with Luke her character had a chance to grow.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Palpatine didn't do anything to Mara and how do you know that her character would have not grown had she stayed with the Empire? I can tell you right now that one of the best Imperials, who's character has grown over the years is Grand Admiral Pellaeon. Just cause they are Imperial doesn't mean they'll be stick figures for the rest of time.

21. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I definitely agree about Pellaeon but unfortunately he seems like the exception to the rule. Nearly all the other semi-interesting Imperials are either dead by now or never get mentioned. I don't know she would have become an obsolete stick figure but I can't think of any good reasons for her to be an exception, either. That whole ex-assassin freelancer thing only works for so long.

22. Pelly-Welly

Pelly-Welly Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 10, 2004
    I don't like Mara much because she betrayed the Empire. Fine, is she wants to be with the Rebels, go ahead, I've no problems with that at all. But giving the location of Mount Tantiss to the Rebels was wrong. No matter what, it was wrong. Yes, she wanted to help, and yes, she was a Rebel now, but giving the location was wrong.
    I don't see anything wrong with her marrying Luke (dunno what they're like in the NJO though), they were OK in Survivors Quest, she and Luke are a nice couple.
    But still, I'd rather have seen her staying a loyal Imperial, I liked the fact she was thinking about that in Survivors Quest. She had some pretty good thoughts there, and I felt like screaming "why..why did you betray the Empire like that? Couldn't you have just gone to the Rebels without giving them important Imperial information???"
    But it happened. It's OK with me now, what ya gonna do,I'd say..don't think she should be with someone else. Would I've liked her more if she didn't betray the Empire? Probably.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Palpatine didn't do a thing to her. Mara always admired the Emperor, even after she got his last command out of her head. She was always longing for the Empire, but she just didn't think it was the same as the one she knew.

She was willing to take the luxury of living in the Empire, but she wasn't willing to work to save it.

That's dispicable.

That said, I don't hate her. I've never did. I just don't like her. That's not dislike, either... more of an apathy. There are few characters I genuinely hate.

24. Empire101

Empire101 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    The only true thing that I liked seeing was that they had a son, and that is really going to expand the universe in future novels.

Who do you guys think will be Ben's Master after Luke dies(or if he dies early on in the novels to come)?

25. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Jello, Mitth, we actually know very little about Mara's past. We don't know what her training might have entailed. Thus, it's an assumpton to say that Palpatine, or any of the people assigned to raise, guard, or teach her did 'nothing' to her. We have absence of evidence, which supports neither side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.