main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive OFFICIAL: Fan Art Forum Coloring Competition Round 5

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by fightthefuture, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Not your original work. You take the line art provided above and you color it in for the contest.

AG88

2. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Okay, I managed to do something for this week's thing. Once again, thank god we have power.

I still suck at Painter, and, naturally, Painter Essentials isn't any better. So, yeah, I did this in PE2. Enjoy.

[image=http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3978/skytroopercolorlayers6cl.jpg]

3. fightthefuture

fightthefuture Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1999
    Nice Omnis!That helmet looks fantastic most of all.
    Way to bi@#h slap that girl Wilma too!Glad everything turned out ok.

4. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Very nice entry, Omnis! The helmet looks very awesome!

And sorry, lads, but I can't do an entry for this round, 'cause I'm on vacation until Friday (Nov. 4th). Really, really sorry... :(

I will make a pic of this lineart when I'm back, but it's not for the contest then ;)

5. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Had a go at the skytrooper. I love DZ's work so much so I couldn't not enter this round! :p
    About an hour in Photoshop.

[image=http://www.tansy9.com/skytrooper.2.JPG]

6. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    This looks very sweet, Esira!
    I like the dark look and the light from the background. Good job! I can't wait to see the other entries...

7. Esira

Feb 2, 2005
    Bump!

Come on! Anyone else got any entries to show??

8. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Word. [face_worried]

9. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Ok folks.,,heres the end of round 4.Looks like theres only 2 entries but thats better than none:)
    on a side note- u know i always make a "non entry " and I started coloring the grievous pic of Zemogs but i didnt want to rush it,i promise to post it when im done.

10. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    :)
    Zero votes this round....

This thread may very well be dead in the water.

Any Ideas? Suggestions?
    I was thinking of lengthening it,,picking harder linearts,,..

Im at a loss tho,..Its not a big deal,. Im more than willing to let it go if you guys arent in to it any more,we only had two entries this time and NO votes so next week Im picking the lineart and if we dont make any progress il just let it die.
    PEACE!

11. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    The reason i didnt enter this week was because the lineart was to complex imo, but that might just be me.

12. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    odj-Altho I dont agree this one was any harder than previous rounds,i hear you.So would your suggestion be that we lengthen the round to a monthly contest?Im starting to believe that might accomodate more people.
    Id like to add this bit as well-You might find the lineart chosen not quite interesting.
    Leme get at this point again.In every round the lineart is what you make of it.Your dont have to adhere to any "rules" like color schemes or predetermined character traits,any one can be as creative as they like.Including augmenting the lineart itself.
    The skytrooper couldve been colored red or black or friggin camoflage,its all up to you.The dead jedi coulda been layin in a pool of green blood.Whatever your imagination calls for.Didnt feel like coloring the jedi hes steppin on?-Erase em.These may sound like stupid suggestions,Im just trying to get my point acroos that-skys the limit.Have fun with it.

Edit:-Ive updated the first page with the new lineart for round five.This round will end in a month on December 5th and voting will be all the rest of the week till sunday,Dec 11th
    Lets see if this works out better.Good luck everyone ,hope you like my choice.

13. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Whatever happened to the winner choosing the lineart? :-\

14. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Nobody even voted. That's what happened.

I didn't vote because there were only two entries, one being mine.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I still think this is probably a fun thing to offer people. You might want to offer up a couple of picture choices though instead of just one. I didn't attempt this last selection because the picture didn't interest me. I'm also not sure what to do w/ the next one, so I might have to wait to see what else you'll select for the next round.

I thought only people who drew things could vote, didn't know that we COULD vote if we didn't create anything for the competition. [face_thinking]

Perhaps the voting intimidates people, maybe if it was just for show-off, fun, more people would contribute?

16. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    But, it is. The voting is merely to decide who picks the next one. That's how I look at it, anyway. Public voting is public voting. This isn't some kind of exclusive council (well...it's called the jedi council forums, but nevermind that). Anyone can obviously vote. :)

17. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I'm going to ditto PLJ on the fact that I haven't participated on the last few because the pieces don't interest me, and therefore don't give me much motivation to spend time on coloring them. Not sure I'll do this one either since it doesn't seem too interesting.

18. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Again il reiterate ,the art is what you make of it.Your creativity and imagination mean EVERYTHING in B&W lineart!Now dont get me wrong ,If your not interested in the lineart thats like a huge part of the problem,thats why we get some folks who enter sometimes and sometimes they dont ,personal taste is a big factor.Even in voting.
    On voting- its clear,.. and if its unclear we can set it straight right now
    ANY member of TF.N can vote in the contests if you colored something or not.That brings me to the fact that =even people who color in the rounds usually dont vote!Its not a presidential election people.The reason why we do the PM voting is ,.We dont want a public "in thread" vote.If you felt like voting for yourself everyone would know!And seriously,people might get offended feelings hurt etc,so we keep that private.

Here is the colored Vader pic straight from the comic it originated at.Hopefully it will inspire some,,creative lighting is key to this piece.What color light is it?What side is it coming from?Just the light off his saber illuminating the whole piece?Whats in the background?It could be a green saber,w/ a word balloon that reads"I see youve consructed a new lightsaber"Skys the limit folks
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/fightthefuture/vadre.jpg]

Edit"Take a close look at his eyes ,even the pro colorists that made this missed what the artist had intended

19. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't want to color that now that I saw the pro image. It perverted my artistic-eye. Hahaha.

20. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Another thing we might try since its now monthly.Lets see some WIProgress shots while your working.This is a forum,you might receive constructive feedback and tips.Questions on how to- may be asked and answered.Overall a good back and forth exchange of ideas is what this forum is realy all about

21. Esira

Feb 2, 2005
    Maybe if you held a poll for the voting rather than people PMing you then more people would vote?
    Some of us are a lazy lot and the reason I've never voted is I couldn't be botherd, if it were a poll then I probably would.

22. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I'm sorry the last lineart didn't please so much of you... but when I posted it, I told you to say if you don't like it... I got no relpies, so I took it.

I generally think it's better we put a few linearts up, and then we first vote for the lineart for the next round, rather than getting one lineart that most won't like.

I personally don't like the new Vader lineart. Just too many dark parts, hard to color properly. So, 'cause I don't like it, I won't participate, but at least I say so...

If you think the lineart-vote is a good idea, then we should do so... was just my two cents ;)

23. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    We dont do the poll because it would flood the forum w/redundant threads.If your to lazy to PM me a name,..theres just no hope for you,..thats realy REALY lazy.Especially if its a round you had an entry in..My REAL thought on that is (I hope)the reason why theres been a shortage of votes is the voting weekend.Ive noticed NO ONE realy pops in on the weekends and the board is stagnant.Thats why Ive lenghtened the voting period a whole week.

I wouldnt give what your saying about folks not liking your choice a second thought Corran.Like I say everyone has their own paticular tastes ,however the choice you made had blanket potential.The problem is truthfully all of you.You all see a skytrooper and think he can only be colored white,.and thats just sad.He coulda been a comander with red highlights in his armor or yellow,green ,..he couldve been jet black the list goes on and on in the potential.There was a BLANK background giving you the chance to establish whatever enviroment you can imagine.

I deffinately dont want to take away the prize of line art choice.This is a forum and it can only survive on interactivity like that.Mutiple choice lineart doesnt work for me because,in competition you all have to color from the same source,otherwise it becomes harder to determine "Who did the best job"If one guy colored one thing and another colored something different.Thats not direct competition.No matter what Star wars art,lame or cool is chosen.

Same is going on in this vader piece.It has a blank canvas potential.
    I tells ya,If I chose something more complicated rather than simple like this,..Your vote would be based more on technical accuracy ,rather than creativity or feeling..There was 10,000 better drawn Vader art that I might have chosen,..I WANT you all to approach this as:"Yes this is LAME,now,..How can I MAKE this cool?"I swear Im going to scoop some imagination outa ya even if I gotta take a spoon to your heads.Again-Why cant he be deflcting blue lightning ,then you can show the xray of his skull?Wheres your guys' imagination?The possibilities in this piece are limitless.Its a challenge of not so much whos the best colorist but "whos CONCEPT is the most creative"When were all drawin from the same well,who will have the tastiest glass of water.

I have no desire to be stubborn,..Something else CAN be chosen,..But I promise you it will be from the same stance,,it will be uncomplicated.If i do the deadline will be pushed forward(dont worry)Anyone you guys would like to see?No ,I dont mean start throwin out lineart links..Gimme a name.
    PEACE

24. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I'm pretty sure calling people lazy and uncreative isn't the best way to get people to participate.

Regardless of how much potential a picture has, if I'm not interested in it, I'm not going to bother with it. I don't care if it has a blank background, or a million different color palette choices, if it doesn't grab me then it won't grab my imagination. If it doesn't grab my imagination, then I'm not going to waste what little free time I have straining myself to come up with something creative.

Creativity is something that comes from having fun and be able to just relax with the work. If I don't like the base of the work, then that's not going to happen.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I hope that nobody takes offense when I said that I just didn't find the last picture interesting. Like BigFatty said, it just didn't grab my attention. The two people who colored in the pieces did a fantastic job. I just have next to zero interest in clones, stormtroopers, or anything of that sort. I usually am not into the Fetts either, but I liked the picture that was selected the last time and found it fun to work with.

I think a part of why the monthly challenge works is that people are given multiple choices to work from. I think this can be an active and fun competition if you provide 2 images to choose from, that way if people aren't inspired by one, they might be by the second one.

Perhaps you can pick one that's highly complicated and more challenging and one that's simpler. That way instead of selecting only a highly complicated image that might intimidate people, they might feel comfortable with the simpler one, and/or encourage possible newbies (*raises hand*) to participate.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.