main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive OFFICIAL: Fan Art Forum Coloring Competition Round 5

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by fightthefuture, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fightthefuture

fightthefuture Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1999
    Beating around the bush doesnt help either, were attempting to solve the problem here.
    "Calling people lazy and uncreative wont get them to participate"
    Maybe in an underlying sense i was calling folks uncreative Il give you that and I totaly apologize.It WASNT MY INTENTION tho..Im trying to encourage folks to be that ,not imply that they havnt BEEN.Theres been a great abundance of creativity in ALL the previous rounds.NO ONE who looks through previous rounds could dispute that.I would never try and say you all havent BEEN creative that would just be nonsense.I dont think that for one second.
    As for callin folks lazy when it comes to voting,..It just is laziness.Theres no way around it and I wont play ring around the rosey with my vocabulary to get that accross.YOUR ALL LAZY!it doesnt take much to PM me with a vote.You put Round"blank"in the header and a name in the PM -Done.And belive me since Round 2 the votes have just gone down and down till now we have none at all.Once more Il say I believe its folks have missed the voting period window on weekends.Ive extended that, and if theres no change or progress,we can re-address that issue next month.
    Back to the topic of lineart-In EVERY round there will be some who say"that lineart doesnt appeal to me and Im not going to participate"-I see no way to address that issue.Its basicly your judgement based upon your tastes.Its the same process upon which linearts are chosen by the winner..What kind of ideas or suggestions can change this?Please-we gotta keep the forum of democracy alive.If you have an idea, lets hear it.A good way to approach it I guess is:What kind of STANDARD do we base a choice off of?Size?Difficulty?What side of difficulty,do we want easier arts or harder?AM i missing the point completely?

Ive decided I will change the lineart since so many folks are not pleased.Give me some time to find one, and then well readjust the end date.

EDIT:(I was writing my message while you were writing yours so,)Thats not a bad idea PLJ,Id go for it.As long as we keep it to two,not three four five thats what i was worried about.What does everyone else think?

2. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Why does there have to be a winner? I realize it's called a "Contest", but does it have to be one? Why not just put a few linearts at the beginning of the month and then letting people show off what they can do? That way you don't have to worry about voting, people get a variety of art to pick from, and there isn't as much pressure on new people in the thread.

3. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Put two new Linearts up.Lets keep the topic rolling and see if we cant solve some things.

4. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    The middle one is fresh. I'll work on it.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just thought I'd pop in here and make sure everything is alright. I noticed that things were getting a bit heated.

This was a nice concept when fightthefuture first proposed it to me. I would participate in it myself if I weren't up to my neck in school work. And I'd really hate to see this thread fall off the face of the forum. Anyway, if there is anything I can help sort out so that this thread runs smoothly, let me know. :)

As for the contest aspect - I believe that was one of the original ideas that fightthefuture had in mind. I personally think it's an interesting concept and it presents a nice way of picking new line art. However, it does seem that some tweaking could be done. And as I said above, just let me know and I'll be happy to help. :)

6. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    I know its not very good but i like it much better then the original one.
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/krnbanguboi/vadrefixed.jpg]

7. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Wow. Hey, thanks for the pic, there, Banguboi. I TOTALLY missed the eyepiece reflections.

We could've all went nuts with the skytrooper pic. Just look what I did with the helmet. I was out cleaning up hurricane devastation and I still managed to get something in. In painter essentials, too. [face_sick] (need. Photoshop.)

Hahaha. I love this thread, because it allows everything learn from each other. Every entry gives us a mutual bond of perspective and point of view, as well as individual taste and variety.

Don't let it die, guys. [face_praying]

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Thanks for the new pictures! I'm already working on that lovely, Sithly Ani [face_love]

9. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Nice to see new linearts... will see if I get time to work on the Ani one, 'cause it's a peroid of lots of tests in my school, and I really hope I'll get some time for doing this.

10. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Im glad folks are responding positivly:)If your happy Im happy.Im gonna throw one more up today since the one with Tarkin didnt get a good reaction.

11. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm almost done with mine, but it's midnight and I had to stop. It then hit me that I forgot all about WIPs. Luckily, I'd saved in the beginning as a jpeg, and my current progress is a psd (and now a jpeg, too)

So, I sort of have 2 WIP shots. I finally got photoshop elements to work (properly :rolleyes:), so, to hell with painter essentials! [face_dancing]
    Here they are:

WIP 1 - [image=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6577/swr71color8yv.jpg]

WIP 2 - [image=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3479/swr71color20it.jpg]

I know, I did the foreground first only because I wanted to mess with anakin's lighting and decide the best course of action. No layers were used at all in this, but I'm going to layer on the saber tommorow and see if I can hopefully finish up. School is eating my soul. Hahaha.

12. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Thats lookin good so far Omnis.I likey.Keep em comin

13. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Where are everyone else's WIPs? Lol. Inspire me.

Anyway, I won't be able to work on it some more until after the weekend, and maybe half the week. I'm doing a ton of work, including studying for 3 tests on the same day, and, currently, I'm trying to write my book report, which is a shrinklet poem, which is coming up on about 5 pages (single spaced, 12 pt. :-B), and i'm not even halfway done.

Heh. Come on, guys.

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Omnis

Wooooowwwww...Mustafar looks AWESOME! =D==D==D= I can't wait to see that finished! :D

You want works in progress?

Ok, well here's my Ani so far...I need to find time to work on him but here's what I've got so far:

[image=http://smicketysmom.bravepages.com/Es%20Art/Star%20Wars/Anakin%20Art2.jpg]

15. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Done.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/25243658/

Sith Lord Anakin on mustafar (with the planet in the background).

Like the comments in my gallery, I think I screwed up and reddened the face beyond correction. Oh well. Enjoy, and get those entries in!

16. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    bumpellujah.

17. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Your final color is killer Omnis,Its dark and evil.And since you stole my idea ;) ,..may I offer some suggestions.It needs some embers,..Create a new layer with orange embers with trails streaming behind.Also If you could google an image of lava erupting ,use noise removal (so it looks not so real)and place it on the pictures right hand side and a little behind his body,,..all that would be sweet..I know I know,,Ive got some pretty specific requests but,its all what I was gonna do,..Take it or leave it.Again,what youve done is great so,maybe you still got time to color one o the others..(Now I gotta think of a different enviroment for Ani)
    PLJ Where your heading is going nicely too,I dig the planet behind him.very pretty.

18. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Thanks. Heh.

Yeah, I wanted to do more with the embers on the bottom. I used vivid color on some parts, though, and I wasn't able to do any more lighting effects on top. That kind of sucks. I guess I can still tinker around with it some more. I might see if I can redo the lightsaber. It's way too huge and stuff. I finally found how to use the line tool in elements, so I won't have the same mistake that came by using the polygonal lasso and being overgenerous with the gaussian blur.

19. DCJosh

DCJosh Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    one thing ill encourage is that you find some more pics at a higher resolution

it kills to color stuff when its so small xD [especially things like sequential pages from comics and stuff]

20. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    True. Very true. Lol. However, it's still very workable. I don't mind it, even though hi-res would be preferable. Anything smaller than that Boba Fett lineart is real bad, though.

21. DCJosh

DCJosh Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    i didnt color the boba lines cuz they were so small. just so much detail getslost, i didnt wanna bother

anyway, here's some quick colors covered up by some neat filters xP
    sort of a pop art kinda style maybe. i dunno xD
    hah

ill be coloring another of the Vader ones though. i'll do it for real and make it look nice

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/dcjosh/Vader.jpg]

22. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Had to finish what i started....I need to go back and research where i found the mustafar background image,that guy deserves the credit...He had 2 different digital paintings to choose from and the rendered lava"collector",..Mad props too that guy
    Im still going to repaint him in a different enviroment,I want to figure out how to fix the slant so hes up straight,..If I find the time Im going to give the lil vader a shot too,I got sum idearz..
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/fightthefuture/AnakinMustafar.jpg]

Edit:Found the site again,dudes name is Daniel Broadway Awesome suff,thanks Daniel!

23. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    That's pretty cool. I like the little embers and stuff. I suggest you fill the lightsaber blade in with pure white, though. I think it'll look a lot better.

24. fightthefuture

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah ,Im terriblw at sabers,I just tried to fix it but,I made a lot of changes without saving it as a PSP image before I posted it as a jpg.Ive been trying some stuff and I know my next saber will be better

25. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Just remember that the color fades out from the blade edge, not into the blade edge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.