main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Fanfilm Editing Competition (aka complete the circle)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Hey guys.

Ok, I have some great news for everyone. The biggest announcement is all the way at the bottom, and trust me, you guys don't want to miss that.

First off, everything is going very smoothly. I will be hosting a webpage for this all to go down, but still hosting would be appreciated for the actual clips.

OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES/INFORMATION

The Fanfilm that has been selected for this competition is KNIGHTQUEST. It currently can be downloaded here. Hurry up and download it, though, as these links are rotating (to my understanding).

How to compete.

Anyone can compete in this competition-- there is no limit on the number of competetors.

The steps to competeing

1) You must download the movie Knightquest. Not all parts are required to make your trailor-- choose the parts you wish.
    2) Seperate it into clips/load it into your editing program and edit a trailor.
    3) Export it, the settings are below:

SORENSON 3 QUICKTIME CODEC
    320x140
    15 frames per second
    MP3 Audio- this will be the standard, it is your choice if you choose to experiment/compensate.

4) Send it to me.

Instructions on how to get the tailors to me:

wixmmm@planetps2.com

Some internet email providers only allow file attachments to be limited, if you are one of these people who cannot send it over email to me I ask you to do this (in this order):

1) try using your ISP's POP3 account with Microsoft Outlook (Express) or whatever POP3 program you have.
    2) Sign up for an account with tripod, and upload it there. Send me the link at wixmmm@planetps2.com
    3) IF you cannot (for some reason) figure out how to sign up with tripod, tell me and I will create you an account you can upload to.

5) Await the announcement of the finalists (top 10) and then the poll, where everyone will vote on the top 10.

RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE CONTEST

1) The trailor can be NO MORE THAN 2 minutes long.

2) The trailor can be NO MORE THAN 15 megabytes big. The finalists WILL HAVE TO BE between 5-10 megabytes. If your trailor IS 15 megabytes when it is submitted, be prepared for it to be compressed down to closer to 5 megabytes. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED YOU DO THE COMPRESSION YOURSELF. The compression will be done with Media Cleaner Pro, but WILL NOT be done with nearly as much care as you would probably like for your "masterpeice".

3) The music can be ANY PEICE YOU CHOOSE, but it must have no swearing. Mind you, most of us are star wars fans here, so a larger percentage of people will prefer John Williams over Marylin Manson ;)

4) ABSOLUTELY ZERO tampering with the Knightquest footage for sick jokes or other inappropriate content. Not only will your trailor be trashed before it even is over, but respect will be lost on so many levels. I know this does not apply to 99.999 percent of the people here, but you never know when another "Bill from flaming BA" will come around. (for those of you here long enough to remember THAT episode ;))

5) BE CREATIVE! Almost everything is allowed here. Joe has been GREAT in letting us play with his movie (kind of a microcosm of this whole community Lucas->lets us play with star wars Monroe->Let's us play with Knightquest ;)). You BY ALL MEANS can, and are encouraged to, create text to go along with the trailors. Original shots may be created, but be careful here, no major FX shots may be created, as not all editors a) no how and b) have the resources to. Remember, this is a contest of editing, not Special FX... it would be a waste of valuble editing time for you to create a shot... which brings us to TIME:

DEADLINE!!!!!

The deadline is approx 2 WEEKS FROM TOMMORROW

August 1st will be the final day for you to get the trailors in.

The competition will be as soon as hosting is figured out. The finalists

2. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Trailer*

:p

*runs*

Carl

3. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Yep, I'm sorry, and you know what? I've come to accept that that is just how my brain has chosen to spell it, and if ANYONE has a problem with it... then, hey, I can't, say, stop your trailor from "magically not appearing in my inbox"

:p

Cya
    Mike

PS: Carl, you in?

4. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I think id be willing to give this a shot wix.

5. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
  6. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Hah ok no I wont be willing to give this a try since Knight Quest is only in WMV.

7. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    Whats the crack with Knightquest? Ive tried downloading it, but im only getting audio. Ive got every codec under the sun!

Any chance of a qt or divx?

8. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    You won't believe how many times I read you say "trailor". I've gone mad from it. TRAILER!!!
    AHHHHHHHH

Now, I'm getting confused with which way it's spelled. Please, PLEASE. I know you can do it.

9. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Heh perhaps picking a film that wasnt compressed in a format that non PC users have a HELL of a time watching, much less using and editing with would have been a good idea...

10. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Oh, I can't do this either. Premiere doesn't recognize WMV.

I'd say try getting the MOV version of Knightquest hosted, or I doubt you'll have many entrees.

11. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Doh!

I should've thought of that.

I'll get back to you guys.

And it has begun... the crap :(

Cya
    Mike

12. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm in, if you can get some sort of .mov format down (MAC user)

13. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Hmmm...very interesting.....perhaps I too will jump on this bandwagon!

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm on a PC, so I can watch KQ, no problem.

But I haven't a clue how to edit WMV files.

I'm in if we can figure this out.

(Not even our COMPETITIONS can meet their deadlines anymore...Mountain Dew anyone?)

M. Scott

15. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    *grabs a mountain dew* thanks! glug glug glug... ahhhhhhhhh...

anyways, i'm in once it's a .mov file (mac user ;) ) and i get the compressers or whatever i need (or get them to work, heh)

16. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    i'm in i'm in i'm INNNN!!!!

17. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I really want to do this, but neither Premeire nor After Effects can open the .wmv. I hope someone can convert it to a .mov or figure out a way to open it. I don't have any other editor to use. Any help would be hot. :D

18. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I, for one, want an update on this...And I couldn't let this fall into the abyss that is page 2.

Anyway, whats the word? Do we use another movie that we can all load? Do we try to change the format, and host it somewhere? Do we let the 2 people who can actually use .WMV files make the trailers? ;)

EDIT: Smiley

19. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, Windows Movie Maker can recognize WMV files, but that program is, well......crappy.

EDIT: I don't plan on competing

20. AndyBryan

AndyBryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm in if the Premiere thing can be sorted :)

21. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Just noticed a 'MOV' version on the TFN KnightQuest page. Is this new or something? (Though this is run of the TFN server, so it would most likely be slow to download...)

22. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I am in. Except MSP won;t read the wmv file either I don't think. I have Knightquest at home. Hopefully I have the MOV version heh.

Shadoes
    MSP Prophet

23. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    yeah, i noticed last night that the KQ main page has the 3 parts in MOV format, but since TFN's survers are a little... ahem, i was only able to d/l like 5 megs of it, and it said it was done, so i only got like, 1 minute... DARG! it's gonna take me 3 nights to d/l the whole thing, even if its on an emergency server!!!!!

24. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I changed my mind, count me in!

25. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Well the .mov version isn't going to be possible... I was at work all day so I couldn't give you guys an update... but here it is:

It looks like the next best option is Seeds of Darkness... I'm going to pm icicle right now... but for those of you wanting to have the most time possible, i recommend downloading it right now and get to editing, there is a very small chance he will actually say no, he's a regular on the boards.

BTW, the due date IS pushed back to the 5th, to allow for download time and announcement time.

Cya
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.