main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Fanfilm Editing Competition (aka complete the circle)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I'm in!

[EDIT] I think there is a converter (sp?) here.

I haven't tried it though.

Another edit... You can't open wmv files in movie maker. But you can import them. ;) So for all PC users out there, if you don't want to d/l the mov file, just import it to movie maker and then export it as avi. It takes a looong time to import so I think it will take a long time to export it too.

This is the first time ever i've tried movie maker.

Yet another edit. Movie maker can only export to wmv. It's usless!

I'll shut up now! :D

2. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    There IS a mov version for KnightQuest you know, wixmmm? It is about 120MB though altogether and on TFN's server. If you can get it temporarily hosted for the contest that would help out a lot of folks and Joe wouldn't feel so left out. :)

Chris

3. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Wait... I'm going to hold off PMing Icicle... this converter... can everyone here use it?

If everyone here can manage to get the wmv version and convert it themselves, it would be a huge help... and I don't think I can get the knightquest .mov hosted... we don't have anyone to host it.

But if this converer works, we stick with Knightqeust... someone PLEASE get back to me soon about whether or not this works.

Cya
    Mike

4. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I already have a rough draft of my trailer.......

5. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    wix, it might now be a good idea to have everyone transform the wmv to mov themselves, because some ppl have problems running some progs, when others dont

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey Redicolous, which one is it?

M. Scott

7. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    I'm going to give a day to see if anyone can figure out the converter, if they cannot, we'll switch to Seeds of Darkness. If you really want to be on top of things get both fanfilms on your hard drive now, and if you have knightquest, try converting it.

If conversion is just too tough for most people, we'll switch to seeds of darkness (it looks like that's the way it is going.)

If ANYONE has converted it successfully, please tell the thread how you did it!

cya
    Mike

8. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    Hey! I've been working my butt off editing a trailer for Knight Quest! Is all that gonna go to waste?! :_|

9. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I hope not Homer.

I'm in, by the way.
    Was wondering if we do switch, will there be a deadline extension?

~DK~

10. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    As of now, count me in...all depends on whether this computer can keep up.

11. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    I'm in. I'll get them both downloaded just in case.

12. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Hey Homer, what editor are you? Because all the editors I have used can't open .wmv's.

13. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    fine, I'm using Windows Movie Maker

EDIT: and the quality is turning out fantastic! :D

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Wix,

Try contacting Azeem (sorry Az :) ) he successfully converted the WMV version to a MOV file, as that's how we got the MOV version here on TFN in the first place...

15. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    well, all I need to do is add the sound to my trailer and then it is done! :D

16. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    So sorry!!! The link I posted is wrong! This should be the one to the converter.

[EDIT] It's gone! They've removed it. :(

Found it again! :D Zip

And if that link doesn't work here's a link to the main d/l site. It's in german but I found the d/l file anyway. link

Argh! what did i do now? I don't have time to fix that. I'm late to work.

17. CoruscantProductions

CoruscantProductions Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
  18. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Please do see about a MOV version. And if PC users can use it fine as well it would be ideal since there will most likely be a bit more quality loss considering it will need to be recompressed in MOV. otherwise if your going for AVI it just becomes a pain in the rear on macs.

19. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Here's another free converter. Looks really nice.

Have fun.

20. CoruscantProductions

CoruscantProductions Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    I think you have to convert first WMV to AVI and then AVI to MOV.

21. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    ok, all this converter stuff is just getting wierd and confusing. "No i think you have to export WMV to AVI then AVI to MOV" what is that? To much work that proly wont work for most ppl!!! I say we just go to SOD or get Knight Quest MOV version onto a reliable server...

22. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    hey! i just dl'ed the Stoik Video Converter that padawan nick recommended... it's pretty impressive! it'll not only convert wmv into avi with no problems, but it'll even split the video into a CLIP SEQUENCE! saves you time in cutting it up yourself! lol... this trailer is gonna be a breeze!!!

23. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    that stoik converter only converted 31 seconds of KnightQuest for me. Is there something I need to do to get it to convert more?

24. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    This reminds of me of the original light sabre competition. There was no organization or forethought put into it. If this competition really wanted to work you would have needed to make sure everyone who wanted to join could (As it is now its looking more and more like macs are screwed), you would want to wait until all applicants are ready before giving out the materials for the competition (IE which movie and the link etc) since people who ARE able to use the WMV now have a very distinct advantage over people who do not and are waiting on a decision regarding what the heck is going on cause so far you havnt really told us anything.

Set some standards and get yer act together please.

25. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Listen, I just got back froma 14.5 hour day work day filming a wedding and at the same time going back and forth to an RV to edit the show to be shown at the reception OF the ceremony and mid day footage, so I am burned out. So please don't get on my case about being unorganized, because i'm the only one working on this (i got no help) and I am just too tired from work... I logged 56 hours last week, and this whole weekend looks like i'll probably put in 45 hours alone... I have two weddings and receptions with shows to do tommorrow, and I"m not looking foward to it until I know they will be done.

But I'm still taking the time to post here, so cut me some slack ;).

Now, Shawn, beleive me, I COMPLETELY understand. I warned everybody above that Seeds of Darkness might need to be the one we use so don't get too far into Knightquest if you can. I said the deadline will be pushed back and I also said that please tell me IF THE CONVERTER WORKS.

The deadline WILL be pushed back again to August 7th.

The movie is now

SEEDS OF DARKNESS

I am very sorry to all who started on Knightquest, I sincerly am. You may want to send Banshee (joe monroe) what you have done and see what he has to say about it, he's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd be really happy to see what you got done.

But PLEASE STAY IN THE COMPETITION. I have to say, I tried to think this out, but one small problem can lead to one giant problem, and for that I am sorry... but hindsight is like foresight-- without a future. (brownie points to anyone who can find out what film I got that from)

So, seeds of darkness it is, and it is in a nice movie file.

I really did try to think everything out... but Shawn, how would you have recommended I start the competition? Say "here's the competition, but don't do anything?" At SOME POINT I would have had to announce Knightquest, and at THAT POINT this inevitable problem would have occured.

So once again, I am very sorry to all who were effected by this problem.

So let's go... August 7th is the deadline. All the same rules still apply.

Cya
    Mike

PS: If spelling or whatever is off, forgive me, it is really late here and I am beat off my ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.