main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Fanfilm Editing Competition (aka complete the circle)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    you sound real busy wixmmm. why not just call this current competition off until you have time to organize a new one? just cuz, i don't know about other people, but all this seems really complicated and confusing. all the converting, and then the changing of the film and everything.

meh, whatever you want to do.

2. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    hmmm... well, at least i HAVE sod downloaded!

now i get to scrap all my neat stuff and start over... but, if you think about it, that's a good thing... why? because, in the industry, stuff like this happens... OFTEN!

so just think of it as a crash course in flip flopping... :D

3. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, OK if it is definitely Seeds of Darkness I will begin downloading now.

4. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Thank you for making a final decision Wix and trust me I totaly understad the loaded work week. We learned a lot with the original saber competion and it was unfortunate that a lot people had to re-do things or didnt have time to do it again so they were basicly ousted from the competition even though they did a lot of valid and good work. I just didnt want to see a repeate of that. I empathise with the position your in in trying to get everything going and yes hindsight is 20 20 and you now know, and im glad you have learned as well. I only ask that when people want to have competitions or any kind of large scale event that requires submissions which are under the restrictions of rules that it all be well planned out a head of time. And if you need help dont be afraid to ask for it. If you dont know if something will work ask. This is agreat community and a growing one at that so all web resources aside there is a huge ammount of help to be had just from people who are as enthusiastic about doing things as you are.

*cuts the red tape* Let the editing commence =P

5. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow, I just wasted 3 days working on a KnightQuest trailer that was almost completed.

6. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Sorry Homer, but yes, Seeds of Darkness will be the official movie we are editing, I am very sorry.

And Shawn, I understand, thank you.

Cya
    Mike

7. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I'm in for seeds of darkness unless i can't download it for some reason, but if i can't download the .mov can someone host a .wmv .mpg or .avi or something like that. by the way if you want to convert wmv to avi or mpg or mov with windows movie maker it is very simple: import the file into movie maker and let's say you export the final file as trailer. instead of typing in trailer, do trailer.avi or trailer.mpg or trailer.mov

8. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Thanks, but Seeds of Darkness won't be a problem because it's .mov to begin with.

So remember everyone, Seeds of Darkness, August 7th, and the same settings in the original post.

Cya
    Mike

9. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    ...and the same settings in the original post.

...except no physical prize :p.

Well, I'm downloading it now. I'm already at 4% (freakin' dial-up). Well anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the compressor is for it so I can make sure I can play it when it's done.

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    It's Sorenson 3. So Quicktime 5 and up will play it.

11. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    can I post my KnightQuest when it's done? I at least want people to see it.

12. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I can't download SOD. It stops after only a few kb. Does anyone know why?

Oh, I'm so stupid. Just ignore this... :p

13. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    I finished my KnightQuest trailer. Since it isn't going to count towards a contest, I didn't follow the guidelines very much. It's MOV format, On2 codec, 15fps, and it's 5MB. Total length is 1:07. Most of it was made in Windows Movie Maker, so I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. I want to thank Twin_Suns for supplying the saber sounds, vader breathing, and the "whoosh" effect at the end. I also would like to thank JEDIBYKNIGHT for helping critique this trailer as it progressed. Special thanks to Joe Monroe for letting us make trailers of his movie, even though most of us couldn't make trailers due to the WMV being the only one hosted (I am aware this sounds like an acceptance speach). Adobe Premiere was used to add the music and sounds, as well as the compression. Here it is!

14. buliwif

Mar 28, 2000
    great trailer, lord homer......

*sigh* it's funny... KQ was working fine for me, but now everytime i import SOD to premiere and try manipulating it, my whole computer freezes!!! just my @#$*%$! LUCK!!! lol

oh well, we shall see what we can do....

try not. do, or do not. there is no try...

EDIT: i have a proposal, wixmmm... personally i don't think my computer like sod very much, because it keeps crashing my computer every time i try to edit it... so this is what i propose... why not give the contestants the option of the two films: KQ and SOD... which ever film they are able to work with (or prefer)? would that be acceptable? i understand that the point of this excercise is to see what different people can do with the same material, but this just ain't happening for me... i'll keep struggling to make sod work, but if not, i'll be forced to withdraw from this competition... gyaaa! *aggrivated grunt*

15. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Buliwuf just load up SOD in Quicktime, (I assume you can play it) and export to AVI. Unlike the WMV -> AVI -> MOV crap that doesnt work for macs, that should be very easy and not take to long.

16. buliwif

Mar 28, 2000
    well, here's the prob... i only have quicktime player... not quicktime pro... it doesn't have an export option... so i'm pretty much out of luck...

17. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Make SURE that your project settings are set to work with the exact settings of SOD.

eg, if your project settings are Quicktime 320x240 it will want to render alot of stuff.... or just go slow.

Or if you are running a .avi project, it won't work very well with .mov files.

Try messing around with your project settings, I am guessing that that is the problem.

Cya
    Mike

PS: ANOTHER 14 hour work day (sigh). It's looking like this weekend (fri-sun) is going to be a 30+ hours of work when it's all said and done... but after sunday it's back to getting up at 5am and getting off at 1pm. So I'll have plenty of time.

18. buliwif

Mar 28, 2000
    ummm.... yea.... move along people, nothing to see here.... ignore the man behind the curtain....

*i feel like such a newbie... *

i should have the sod trailer finished soon...

19. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Just so you all know, I'm throwing my tattered hat into this arena here. *flump*

Although most of you want to come up with your own ideas, if you're looking for good music for your trailer, let me know.

:)

20. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
  21. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
  22. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    wait, one second...

what's the prize now?

oh yeah, i'm in btw!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

23. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    Hey Homer,

I'm in the same boat as you, but eh. Really hope I can use Windows Movie Maker with Seeds of Darkness.

BTW, you can count me in if I figure out WMM.

EDIT: *Growls* You'll never hear this from anyone else but me: I'm converting a .mov to a .mwv. Yes, I'm sane; just lazy.

24. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I'd like to join in. Shame about KnightQuest, tho. The girl in that was a hottie :)
    Question, do we have to put the TFN fan film logo at the beginning of our trailer?

25. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    argh.. due to some time constraints on myself that have come up I am going to withdraw from the competition. Some family health matters require more attention than I had thought. Sorry guys.

Shadoe
    MSP Prophet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.