main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Fanfilm Editing Competition (aka complete the circle)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but where can I download Sorenson 3? My computer isn't up-to-date on codecs.

2. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    If you have the latest version of quicktime you get it.

If you guys have trouble compressing to sorenson, just give me what you CAN compress, but it NEEDS to be UNDER 15 MEGS.

I have Media Cleaner Pro that I am going to use to tidy things up anyways, so if you would rather like to hand in a small .wmv file, no problem with me... but it WILL be compressed to sorenson for the final competition.

Cya
    Mike

3. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Hi guys.
    Anyone else using Final Cut Pro to edit the SOD trailer? I'm having a real problem with it crashing whenever I try to edit or render long clips. I've allocated 800MB memory to Final Cut, which should be more than enough. Any advice?

4. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I've had that problem before, but only whilst using the On2 codec.

I'm also gonna have to withdraw my entrance from the comp for a few reasons:

1. i'd have to use Premiere (which isn't SUCH a problem, just not too hot on it, haven't used it for ages)

2. This PPC is full of tons of crap, and my other PC STILL isn't working.

3. There's no way i've got the time to do it right now.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

5. TwinSuns82

TwinSuns82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2001
    I'd like to enter, I can't seem to send anythign using my e-mail account lately, so I'll upload to my server and e-mail you the link. Also, when this first started and I thought it might be Duality, I made one of that, but now it seems my FTP is actinh up, I'll post heonce it's up and running.

6. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

I wish I had the time to do this.

When is the deadline now?

7. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Those having problems with the codecs crashing the trailer, I suggest using Quicktime Pro (if you have it) to render out an uncompressed version to edit from. It puts a serious strain on the system trying to deal with very long heavily compressed clips. You would also do well to cut up the footage you need outside of FCP and then import it if you can.

8. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    I'm going to have to drop out as well. I just got a new job and it isn't leaving me much free time.

Good luck to everyone else though :)

9. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    No, duality was "thrown around" as an option, but we decided to do Seeds of Darkness.

The deadline is August 7th... so I think there is time for pretty much everyone to get in on it if you really want to... even if you are really busy this next week, you can probably do a great one if given a week time.

Look at your calander and see what you guys can do... if AT ONE POINT you said you would, you will be getting a check-in email from me around the 1st.

Cya
    Mike

10. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    OK, I got the codec now. I just had an Idea though, wouldn't it be cool if we could make TWO trailers? a 'teaser' trailer, or a 'theatrical trailer, and have polls for both. Just a thought...

11. Trest

Trest Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey WIXMMM,

Stevot here.
    I have finished my edit for the SOD trailer.
    I'm having problems meeting the file size requirement.
    Sorensen 3...
    8 bit mono...
    I cant seem to make it any smaller.
    Still too big.

Any further suggestions?

12. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Figures that this is the two weeks when my cable is out... gad zooks...

Why 56k? Why don't I have a modem in my computers >Pentium classic?

I THOUGHT I HAD CABLE.

Alas, the horrers of forgetting to pay Cablevision for three months.

At least I'm getting my script done...

13. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    have you changed the dimensions down? Or is it still the same resolution as when you downloaded it?

If you need the dimensions check the first post.

Cya
    Mike

14. Trest

Trest Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    WIXMMM

Yes. I have the dimentions right.
    I'm @ 11.7 mgs

I shooting for 10 megs.

I'll have to try something else....

15. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Hey Wixmmmm, can the 2 minute rule length rule be bent a litte bit (as in 30 seconds or so). If I can still keep the file within the file size limit, will you accept trailers longer than 2 minutes?

Most full length theatrical trailers are around 2'30"

:)

16. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Is this still going on? I've finshed my trailer now. Just wondering.

17. MoffJake

Sep 24, 2001
    I'd also like to know if this thing's gonna happen? I don't want to put more time in it if there is no competition.

Thanks Wixmmmmmmm. :)

18. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Well guys, alot of stuff at work got thrown at me... it seemed every weekend I would finish alot, then think I was set, but then get more work thrown on me... this has gone on the past few weeks... this weekend I worked from noon until 5am on friday, and on saturday 7am to midnight, yes, that does mean I only got two hours rest.

My schedule is really hectic... if you look, i have barely posted at all lately (well, not as much as i used to :p)

But I need to know who has trailors done... since I haven't had the time to monitor the people who said they would do a trailor... so i don't know who has them done... so far i have heard from 3 people, the official deadline isn't until the 7th, so it's not over yet, but i need to know the status... if we get a decent amount of people then we will go ahead with it, i just wish i could have kept people more on track (eg frequent pms to check in) but in all honesty, i just didn't have the time.

My hats off to Kohai and Daft for pulling off the lightsabre competition.

So this is serious guys, i NEED a check in, if you don't even have anything done yet you can still join, but I need people's word that they are going to do this... and please, don't wait until you see 5 people say "I'm definately in" until you decide to chime in, or else we will never get anywhere.

Thanks,
    Mike

19. MoffJake

Sep 24, 2001
    I'm in as long as you'll accept my 2 and a half minute trailer.

20. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    as long as the size is reasonable, yes. At this point, I'll take basically anyone, but I might ahve to do some serious compression.

Cya
    Mike

21. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    god help me, i don't know why, but i'm still in... lol

22. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm still in too. In fact, not only have I finished the trailer, but I've also uploaded it. I just sent you the URL.

23. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

I'm in.

It takes a special style of editing to make a good trailer. I don't think I've got it, but I want to try. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.