Official FanFilms Social Thread -- Come on in!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    I personally use 2000 Pro because I don't have XP.

I thought you were on a Mac....
  2. NickLong Jedi Master

star 4
    i use macs at work, i use pcs at home (because i haven't bought a mac yet! :p)

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long
  3. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    I've heard durbnpoisn say Win2k is better than WinXP. Do you know why this would be?

I always feel compelled to jump in whenever I'm mentioned directly.

There's a lot of reasons to favor Win2k over XP. Stability and compatibility are first. Speed is a close second. But there's much more...

[Long blowhard rant]
    WinXP is indeed a resource hog. But, that's not even first on the list. It's basically an example of a wonderfull candy-like front end on a tweeked OS that's not as stable as it's predecessor. That being Win2k. There was no need for them to even release this OS considering there is not a single improvement. Unless you consider the front end and improvement. They released it to suck more money out of your pockets. Period.

It's less stable. It's slower. Too much of the important stuff has been tucked even further under the carpet. Be sure that there is more marketing than consumer interest in this OS.

Plus, MS pressured a lot of hardware makers to make exclusive drivers for machines with XP preinstalled, so you can't use another OS on the machine without replacing most of the hardware. Unethical. They basically have railroaded Joe Citezen home users into the OS for lack of any other choice.

But, there's also privacy issues to consider. I'm not going to get into that here. But, the registration process alone tells MS way more than they need to know about you. None of which is necessary when using Win2k.
    [/Long blowhard rant]

The bottom line is this; If you want to use a Windows OS, go with 2K.

If you want more info on anything I've just said, there are articles all over the place that back it up 100%
  4. Krapitino Jedi Master

star 4
    For the record, I like WindowsXP, and I prefer it over 2000. They're both fine OSes. XP has more over 2K than a shiny GUI and simplification. I find the in-OS integration of 3rd-party data CD creation and ZIP support quite convenient. Sure, the CD burning isn't mastering quality, but for a quick burn, it's really useful. XP can also tie in with Media Center edition, Tablet PC edition, Smart Displays, and other marketing gizmos which are great if you can afford them.

XP is MORE compatible than 2K, though anything written for XP (usually including drivers) is also 2K compatible, and vice-versa.

While XP takes up more resources, well yeah. But 2K takes more than 98, which takes more than 95, which takes more than 3.1, which takes more than DOS....

Sure, it's a bit faster, but at today's speeds, you can sacrifice 0.1% CPU utilization for a nicer interface. And you can always turn off the effects.

Of course, you'll NEVER listen to me; I'm the computer geek who conciously and willingly chose Windows over Linux.

EDIT: And re: stability, I've actually had better luck with XP rather than 2K for some of my machines. Also, don't forget that XP Home and XP Pro are different enough in user base that MS supports and updates them differently.
  5. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Krapitino... As much as I normally love to hear your input, you really didn't do much to defeat my argument there. :D

My major beef with XP is this:
    In terms of what an OS really is supposed to do, it doesn't do anything better than Win2k.
    That's ignoring all the front end enhancements and integration that have nothing to do with OS operation. That's just fluff. There is really no reason for it to exist.
    MS has once again tried to make everyone believe that they NEED this new system in order to function. And, they've strong-armed hardware manufacturers and computer builders like Dell and Gateway to get on board or be squashed.

Remember NT? Great idea. Okay for servers, but a collosal failure for normal workstation usage. 2k is basically a hybrid of NT with a 98 interface, but with all the bugs worked out of the kernel - plus some serious networking enhancements. Thereby making it the most function OS they've ever made.

Remember ME? Who does? Total waste.

Now where does XP stand here? It's really nothing more than 2k with a whole lot of misc. front end garbage and spiffy integration that 1) makes the system unstable and, 2) cuts better and more usable software out of the loop. The classic MS business model - "We can do every friggin' thing, what do you need other software developers for?"

I could go on forever about this. But, it's late, and I've been drinking. :p
  6. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Just came back from some student film screenings.

Student film = teh suck sometimes.

SO PRETENTIOUS! MORE VOICE-OVERS THAN DIALOGUE!

Rick McCallum loves you!
  7. BrentK7 Jedi Master

star 4
    AdamBertocci: Did a lot of 'em have the main character kill themselves at the end?
  8. SilverFox0440 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well folks, I just got back from my 24 hr banning, and I've decided I'm gettin' up and outta' here because frankly, I don't like to hold myself back in my treatment of certain issues, and it is (as you all should know this) not in the nature of the filmmaker to be oppressed. I bid you all adue and hope to see your names in credits of a major motion picture (or whatever) some day, and likewise, I appreciate the support you've given me in taking me that much closer to said goal. I'm off to work on the development of my own techniques and effects for my own film, and a new site will be sprouting up soon, in much the same spirit as this, but...a little less restrictive. Anyway, I plan to keep in contact with several of you via AIM, or, for those without AIM, PM's on this board. I will probably continue to read here every now and then (just when I check my PM's), but I have the feeling that I'm not appreciated here, and as such, will probably not post anymore. Thanks for the fun times, and...my parting wishes:

A) Nathan, get PTH up.

B) Everyone be nice to Fig.

C) Don't listen to what anyone tells you about your fanfilms -- in merely making one, you are infinitely further than anyone who hasn't, and as such, you are infinitely closer to becoming a professional director. In short, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

EDIT:

D) Ryan -- I never told you but I very much respect your work and I hope that we can work together some time in our future careers.

MTFBWY.

EDIT 2: Spelling. Gotta go out with style.
  9. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Silver, sorry to see a regular poster go -- I hope one day you'll return here to post some finished work of your very own.

Brent, in truth, this crop was not SO bad, but I had to vent. There were only three really pretentious ones (of the seven screened). One of them might have ended with a suicide. I'm not sure what the @#?! was going on in that ol' thing. It was called 'echoes' and had lots of shots of a raincoat getting wet.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  10. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, Silver, if you should ever return I for one will afford you the same respect I do now.

Farewell.

M. Scott
  11. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    I see a system going on here. People get banned, and then they leave. We're film people here, when you really think about it, it's a wonder our different styles and tastes haven't caused more problems on these boards than they have. Everyone is misunderstood at some point and gets angry because they take a communication problem as a personal attack. I'm guilty and so are most of us, whether we like it or not. Chili left us after getting fed up with the environment, as have many in the past. Just look back a few pages in this very thread. We've had resignations out the wazoo. Occasionally a person will retaliate and realize that things aren't that bad here, that nobody really means much offense to anybody who hasn't said anything utterly stupid, and that there's nobody out to get them. Then they come back under a different name. This happens on all message boards I think.

What I think allot of people miss in their view of this forum is how beneficial it really is. I personally have got allot out of the discussions here. I'm surprised at what I've learned in just this one past year. It's incredible really. Sure, a new movie comes out and everybody wants to mimic its effects, be it the Matrix or X-Men, or even the incredible mattes in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but from these inquiries we get people who actually try to emulate the effect and allot of people learn something they might have not known otherwise. It's an expansion of knowledge. I never intended to actually make a fan-film until I saw that I didn't JUST have to make fun of one sci-fi in one mini-movie:D This place, with an optimists approach, can be inspiring and educational. I think allot of people miss that, and see the communication problems more, and then they leave. Personally, I'd rather ask a question and make a fool of myself, than not ask the question and be ignorant. What's worse, embarrasment or ignorance? Really...

Silver: I hope to see at least the occasional post from you. You just need to watch the content of your posting is all. Nobody's out to personally attack anyone here unless you let them. In a way, personally, I think a break from the boards will be healthier in your instance. In all non-offensiveness, you do post so much that it's almost like you're always here, LOL. It's all cool, you get more from this in this case, but it's good to hear that you'll be working on your film. I hope to see it when you're done.

Winter_Chili, Spring_Warm, Summer_Hot, Fall_Crisp, Season_Element...whatever your name is...: Sorry to see you go. Personally, I always got a kick out of your name. Hope to see your film in the future.

Rive: So sad, I don't know that you'll ever see this, and I don't know that I'll ever get to say to you how very inspiring it was to hear about the budget of Duality. You have made me go from thrifty, to 'creative-shopper'. Thanks!

Everyone else: I'm not leaving yet, so I have no clue why I'm making a post like I am...guess I just like to talk...oh well, my sig says I'm long whinded, guess I have to live up to that, right?

Fictitious Roomate Hughbert: You're not real, so I'm just typing for the heck of it now. Maybe I'm bored...no...I think I just need sleep. In which case..............

-Matt
  12. SilverFox0440 Jedi Master

star 4
    You'll get the occasional post, and I agree, perhaps I just need to cool down, but I do think the boards are in need of a bit of reform. Also, sorry bout the lack of response to your Iron Man PM -- I accidentally somehow deleted it (?). As for seeming like I'm always here, I don't know how that came to be -- I just sleep late in the day and stay up late at night...so I make the rounds to every thread. I don't know. I'll be PMing ya, Matt.

Oh, thanks Adam and Dorkman for the comments.
  13. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
    As a poster who got banned for a week for using one cuss word in the same manner that other members (ChrisHannel, Nathan etc.) have done without even being asked to edit their posts... I wouldn't mind a little reform in this forum.
  14. CranieAmidala Jedi Knight

star 3
    Being a Filmmaker, is definatly a matter of opinion and seing things from different points-of-view.
    It's just a pity that the rules of the message boards, hinder or censor our productions.
    Unfortunatly the world isn't PG.
    I just want to say, that just because you may get somewhat rotten reviews on here, there will be tons of people, who will end of liking it.
    But the most important thing to remember, is that YOU like it, and it doens't matter what other people think.
  15. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    But the most important thing to remember, is that YOU like it, and it doens't matter what other people think.

Well, whaddif you don't like it? ;) :p
  16. Just_Joe Jedi Knight

star 3
    EDIT: Replacing letters with symb*ls doesn't make it okay. First and only warning, Joe.
  17. MacGyver635 Jedi Master

star 4
    Later, Silver.

-Mac

EDIT: Sorry, Darth O. I wasn't even thinking about that. Heh.

I hearby dedicate this post to you then. ;)....... and Silver.
  18. Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master

star 4
    Gah!
    Blast you, Mac! I was hoping for #4567.

Oh well. Wasn't that important.
  19. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    I like Max's new colors. :)
  20. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Whenever there's talk of reform, I always think of when friends would come over in high school.

There was this one guy who apparently never ate, ever. The first thing he would always do, without asking permission, was raid the fridge. Now, if he'd asked, I might have said yes. Sometimes. But the fact that he NEVER asked and ALWAYS cleaned us out really irked me.

And then, to top it off, one day he complained that we never had the kind of food he liked. How rude is that?

Kind of about as rude as coming to someone's message board and complaining about how they run the place, when it's your privilege, not right, to post here. On top of that, no one is twisting your arm to do so.

And let's not fool ourselves. When someone is banned, there's a lot more to it than using a dirty word or disagreeing with the mods. The bad word is just the last straw in a long line of offenses.

If you don't like it, leave. I want to talk about fanfilms and filmmaking, not revolt.

M. Scott
  21. Tempestjonny Jedi Master

star 4
    Well said dorkman.

I know nathan swears on chrono radio.....but i have yet to see him do so in the forum, the same goes to chriss.
  22. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well Silver, I'm sorry to see you go. You are encouraging to newbies and helped me feel like I was able to fit in half a year ago.

In fact, the only good thing about you leaving is that I don't have to spend half an hour on the social thread each day ;)

Farewell. Don't forget to write.
  23. Chris_F Force Ghost

star 4
    So long Silver, we lost a good man

Some n00bs may say your comments are discouraging, but I thought the opposite. I really respected your opinions. You really made it easier being here.

I'll miss seeing you in the Social thread 24/7. Its one of the things that brought me to the boars every day.

Can't wait to see your work in the future, I know we'll be seeing some.

Chris
  24. Tempestjonny Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope all the people leaving doesn't damage the fan film community.....i don't want to loss you guys. *sniff* i love you guys
  25. BrentK7 Jedi Master

star 4
    /hands Tempestjonny a kleenex
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.