main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official FanFilms Social Thread -- Come on in!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Uh-oh. "InconTHeivable!"

2. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Chris, when can we expect the caption to change in the humor section?

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I find it funny that newbies always have After Effects, Photoshop and Premier.

But never the manuals.

M. Scott

4. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
  5. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
  6. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    DorkmanScott, can I add that in there?

7. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    I ran out of soda...............

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

aw crap! there goes the stock market again ;)

8. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    best place for this: HEY GUYS! i need opinions... lately i've taken to doing some freelance graphics designing for a few select individuals... designing CD covers and such... this is my first, a CD cover for a local bandout here in LA... the name of the group is Power Express... what do you think?

[image=http://www.geocities.com/buliwif27/layout.jpg]

BTW, jedi apprentice... laughed my A** off!!!

9. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I think those look great! The planet on the CD label is pretty much like on the TPM soundtrack, but it rock nevertheless. I think the text should've been a bit more visible. The fact that it's yellow doesn't help it stand out against the background so well...

Anyways, on to MY question. Its very OT but hey! Thats what this thread is for, huh?
    Anyways, anyone seen the 5th Element? I've always wondered what is that stuff that drips down Zorg's face when he's talking to Mr. Shadow... anyone know what it might be? It couldn't be blood, could it? It has a much more brownish tone to it, especially when Zorg smudges it...

Carl

10. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I have no idea, metaphorically speaking, it could represent his fear for 'Mr Shadow' (doesn't it happen to the general when facing the evil earlier?)

EDIT: Multipass

11. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    LOL! Multipass!

Those air-hostesses are HOT!

Carl

12. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Useless fact: the actor behind Rune Haakos' mask in TPM (Jerome Blake) played one of the hulking metal aliens at the start.

13. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Buliwif,

So far so good. I really like the slightly retro visuals you've got going on there, they look cool (and I like the fact that the rocket is flying off on the back cover - nice)

The type isn't perfect though. There are a couple of things that are odd.

1) The fact that the name of the band is sometimes condensed, and sometimes expanded, the same with the name of the album. Personally I would create a styling for these elements and stick with them throughout the design, and all of their communications in fact. That logotype is basically their brand identity, so should (in theory) remain a constant in all messaging.

2) The type for the tracks is pretty hard to read. Have you thought about maybe ranging the type off the edge of the rings? So they follow a curve similar to the rings, (a) it may look cool, but (b) it should definately make the type a lot easier to read, since it''ll be on a plain black background.

As a personal thing, have you tried making all of the type just plain white? That's got nothing to do with any science, just a preference :).

But it's good stuff, and looks very 'professional' as it is. Nice work. :)

14. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    For the CD covers, I wouldn't make such a big deal over the credits - perhaps have them as a single line along the bottom?

15. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    thanks, everyone, and thanks daft... i'm not too thrilled by the fact that the text is so hard to read either, to be honest... however, the cover is based on a t-shirt for the band that was shown to me for reference... featuring (ick) yellow text... fortunately the guy i made it for LOVED it, so i guess i can't complain... lol... he personally approved of the text and images... as for the compression of the title on the front, the program i was using (never again) did that automatically, and it wouldn't allow me to fix it... to be honest i kinda like how it looks, i just wish i could have made the name of the band more prominent... on the bright side, however, just from this one cover i got 8 other bands begging me to do their covers... and i'm getting PAID for them! (i knew these fanfilmmaking skills would pay off one day... lol)

anyway, thanks again for your opinions! i'll post the next cover when it's done... it should be a VAST improvement over this one!

16. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Congrats! :)

17. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Look everyone, I'm a mod

Welcome to eternal hell, Chris Hanel! Enjoy your stay!

18. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    MWAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

19. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Homer: Sure!

While we're asking random things, does anyone remember the name of an 80s cartoon I'm about to describe? My recollections are really vague, but basically I think it took place in outer space, there were these creatures that looked like melting humans or something, a couple stories tall. If they touched you, you became one of them. A group of humans were always fighting them and getting touched. Anyone have ANY idea what I'm yimmering about?

I've heard the name somewhere recently, I think it was a play on some synonym for transforming...ANYONE?

That cartoon traumatized me as a child (no joke) and I'm trying to find out WTF it was.

M. Scott

20. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Was it anime style?

Chris

21. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    As I recall it was the Americanized anime, most prominently used in The Real Ghostbusters (anime style motion and line art, normal-sized eyes).

It was anime in some fashion, yeah.

M. Scott

22. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    J'aime manger le poulet! J'aime manger de la pizza! J'aime manger des popsicles! J'aime un bon nombre de choses!

23. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Blow the superheros thread off the board!!!! mwuahahahahhahahhahahahhaah!!!! :p

;)
    Kyle

24. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    You posted an extra exclamation mark! :mad:

:D

25. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    What the hell is this doing over halfway down page two?

I THINK NOT!

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.