main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** Official FanForce Movie Night -- Atlantis: the Lost Empire June 15th, 2001 ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The summer blockbusters are beginning to land all around us, meaning only one thing.
    Movie night, movie night, movie night.

The first of our official Summer Blockbuster Movie Nights will take place next Friday, June 15th, for the opening of Disney?s Atlantis. With voice acting by Claudia Christian, Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill ? is there any way that we could possibly miss this? ;)

The Plan? remains the same as always:

Where: Gather at the parking lot beside the York Cinemas, 101 Eglinton Avenue. This is about two or three blocks east of the Eglinton/Yonge subway station. As always, preference of theater to see the movie is the Eglinton or the York, but we take whatever is thrown our way.

When: Friday, June 15th -- 6 pm we begin to gather at the parking lot. 7 pm we head to one of the local establishments for a bite to eat. We then take in the 9 o?clock-ish show.

2. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    There is a preview showing a day or two before the 15th at the Uptown, which leads me to believe that Atlantis could be playing there.

Also, Raiders of the Lost Ark is playing at Bloor at 9pm, if I'm not mistaken. I thought there were plans to see that as well.

If Atlantis playing at Uptown, seeing both films (for those who want to stay late or what not) it doable.

3. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, with Atlantis being only 90 minutes, and Raiders starting at 9:10... it is probably possible to see both no matter where we see Atlantis. But do we really want to?

After ka-thunking for a bit more, I thought that seeing two movies leaves little or no time for grabbing a dinner. It leaves little or no time to actually digest and absorb your experience from the first film before launching into the second one. There would be no perusing the used book stores and toy stores that have become a hallmark of our gatherings.

After my initial excitement at finding that they were playing Raiders at the Bloor this month, I remembered that the Bloor plays Raiders about every other month or so. As well as Brazil, Blade Runner, The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai and dozens of other great movies that are worth seeing again on the big screen. So if we don't see Raiders next week, we will have other chances to see it.

The decision remains up to all of you. If most of you want to try and do both - or even if the majority want to forego seeing Atlantis in favour of Raiders - now's the time to decide.

4. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    I wouldn't mind seeing both, I haven't seen Raiders on the big screen before and am looking forward to it, as for absorbing the experience, I don't think it's altogether necessary with Raiders, I have seen it before, it'll just be fun to see it in a theatre as opposed to commercial loaded "super"station, which of course plays it every third saturday. I would like to see Atlantis as well though, I don't know how good a movie it will be, but with the cast it has how could I pass it up. I may grab an early dinner, thus will not have to get anything between films, which may be short on time. At any rate these are my thoughts, such as they are.

King Bob

5. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    AH, but we must remember that this will be opening weekend for Atlantis, whereas Raiders opening weekend was 20 years ago. (and some of us already have the distinction of adding to that movie's box office gross :) )

So, I'm voting for Atlantis!

6. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeah, he's right!

I'm voting for Atlantis too!

7. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Um oh yeah, Atlantis looks really cool.

I'm gonna vote for it too!

Yeah

8. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Kenobi...being...too...subtle...

9. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    I'll be there for atlantis

I'm not too sure about raiders though

:/

Yes, my fictional g/f will be there, and hopefullt so will the emporer of china.

>P

SZ

10. KingBob

Nov 30, 2000
    I, Adam, will be going to see raiders for certain and I am still considering seeing both.

King Bob (Adam)

11. krax_13

krax_13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2001
    I would like to see raiders as well.

perhaps we could meet at 6, go store hopping, and have dinner together and then split up to see the movies. Perhaps there will be a late show of atlantis we can catch after Raiders?

in any case something can probably be worked out..

-Joseph

12. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Personally, I plan on just seeing the one film. As Raiders is going to be at the Bloor again and again, I think I can put off seeing it for now.

Unfortunately, I'll have to take off shortly after the film in order to catch my bus home.

13. krax_13

krax_13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2001
    looks like one film is the only realistic alternative. For one thing there almost certainly won't be a late show of atlantis if shrek is any guide.

looks like a meeting at 6pm, dinner, stores and then split up to see the movie of your choice.. (raiders for me)

-Joseph

14. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well Shrek probably isn't a good guide since we saw that on a Saturday, not a Friday night.

I'm not sure which one I'll be in for, but I'll meet you all down there for 6:30 and decide based on the crowds.

15. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    The Emperor of China will most likely be seeing Raiders.

I'm just not all that excited about Atlantis, and would much rather see Raiders on a big screen for the FIRST time.

I'm not saying that I think Atlantis will be bad, I could just do with renting it when it comes out on DVD.

$4 for Raiders...$12.50 for Atlantis (most likely)

But I plan to be around for dinner and hanging out. If there's still a crowd when Raiders is over, then I'll join again to hang out some more.

16. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    FYI, Raiders celebrates its 20th Anniversary today!

17. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000

I just thought I'd mention this.I don't know if anyone else has caught it but the latest issue of Starlog has a blub stating that Indianna Jones 4 is all set to go they are just waiting for the word go from the studios. I wonder if that means Episode III will be prosponed any. Anyway carry on with the thread. It was just a rambling thought.

18. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001
    So, who's seeing what/where/when?

Here're the times for Atlantis:

http://www.eye.net/film/list_by_movie.cgi?key=992465661400

The movie is exactly 90 minutes long (not including previews), so seeing the 7:15 show at Silvercity would mean not being able to get the Bloor ontime for Raiders.

However, for anyone interested in seeing both, there's a 7:10 show at the Cumberland (in Yorkville - west exit of Bay station), after which the Bloor Cinema could easily be walked-to within 10-15 minutes. (And, the Cumberland is cheaper than Crappycity).

I'm still not sure what *I* wanna do, though (as I might choose to go to a concert at 9pm), but am still interested in seeing Atlantis beforehand if people are into that.

So, wha'happenin'? :D

~mike~

19. KingBob

Nov 30, 2000
    I will be seeing raiders and only raiders, I will join everyone down at the usual spot for dinner before hand, will go see raiders and, provided there is a gathering after, will meet up with everyone else after raiders ends.

20. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    My plan sounds an awful lot like Greg's--I mean an awful lot like Adam's.

~Emperor of China

21. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm still not sure. I'll be there for 6 - 6:30 and have dinner with everyone, then decide from there.

~Joseph

22. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    Leah and I are definitely in for Atlantis, but not if we're going to crappycity as 12.50 a ticket is really hurting our wallets. Plus I like the cheesiness of seeing Atlantis at an Alliance Atlantis Theatre. ^_^

I've also managed to talk Maral and Stuart into attending as well, so we'll be going there eitherway.

23. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001
    6 sounds best, David... 6:30 seems pretty tight to eat dinner and still get to opening night of a big film at 7:10 or 7:15, depending on whether people go to Cumberland or crappycity...

24. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME GREG AND JOSEPH?!?!!?

>P

SZ

25. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not making fun of you, I thank you for giving me such a noble title.

Thank you.

Now i'll throw in a ;) , to confuse you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.