main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    To be fair, Fantastic Four characters aren't any more inherently dull than Superman. The Reeve Superman was great because he was surrounded by interesting characters.

Not every superhero has to have the charisma of Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man or the likeability of Ruffalo's Bruce Banner. But if they're going to be old penny dull, then they have to be surrounded by fun sidekicks or fantastic villains.

The godlike pan-galactic, universe-spanning villains of the Marvel comic books are just too vastly vast in their vastness to be interesting.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The Galactus Saga / Herald of Galactus
    The Trial of Reed Richards
    Wild time-travel family escapades vs. Kang
    Skrulls and Super-Skrull
    Mole Man and the entire subterranean Earth saga.
    Battle for Atlantis, with romantic triangle aspects.

And, not least of all...

DOOM

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I fall asleep just trying to type out Galact.......;ajt mgggggggggggg

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    ******' Fox.

Still, money is at the core of all things. Perhaps the transfer of FF and related characters is non-negotiable because Fox DID make the movie they needed to make (even if it's a lump of foul smelling **** that will never break even) in order to keep the franchise, as per the terms of whichever legal agreement was drawn up years ago. The only other thing Fox would be willing to offer is a generous $lice of dollar bill pie in exchange of merchandising rights for the TV shows and future X-Men movies.

Still...a denial at this point could also simply mean that neither studio wants to confirm ongoing negotiations. These are publicly traded companies after all. Such a deal could make significant waves internally and externally, and it's only prudent that things are kept under wraps until all parties are ready to make an official announcement.

Edit: dp4m, lad, you're wasting your time. Jabba there has no idea what you're talking about. Either he had no comic books growing up or is just one of those guys that never cared about them and is only aware of guys like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man. There are levels of dorkiness all around these boards, after all.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

There was a rumor months ago that Disney got the rights to A New Hope from Fox. Perhaps this was the trade. Because let's be honest, Disney cares a heck of a lot more about Star Wars than they do the Fantastic Four. There's also the outside possibility that Ike did the deal to screw over Feige and the movie division. Highly unlikely of course, but who knows. My guess is Fox continues to ask too much and Marvel is willing to play the waiting game.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Which mean we may get the theatrical versions of the original trilogies on blu ray! I'll score that as I win if that's the case.

7. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    The FF (which is what we used to call Marvel's First Family) characters are not in any wise "dull". On the page in hundreds of comic book issues, they are vibrant, human, real-seeming people with depth and personality. I don't blame Jabbadabbado for thinking they're dull; none of the movies so far has managed to portray them accurately or with any degree of genuine pathos or joy. This doesn't mean it's impossible.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I definitely get a sense of the desire to get these characters right on screen. Hope you get to see that someday. Best bet is to hand them off for a Netflix original series.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    All they have to do is skip the origin story. Oh, and make it awesome instead of sucky.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Fixed that for you.

A lot of people complained about what went on in TPM. They didn't understand it.

Loki was tasked with leading the Chitauri during an invasion of Earth, on behalf of Thanos and his lieutenant, the Other. Pretty simple.

Thanos allows Gammora to go out and steal the Power Gem for him, but she plans to double cross him to keep it out of both his and Roan the Accuser's hands. The former wants to appease Lady Death, the latter wants to destroy Xandar despite the truce between Xandar and the Kree that the Nova Corps are trying to enforce.

When done right, it offers a sense of wonder and adventure. We can go to fantastic worlds and universes. We can see the Negative Zone and the Microverse. We can see Celestial beings interacting with each other and alternate universes. All while seeing a quartet of heroes who are at heart a family. Ben and Johnny bicker like children. Reed and Sue are a couple struggling with a relationship where one takes the other for granted. We see the long term bond of friendship as Reed wants to restore Ben to normal, while Ben has to accept his lot in life and struggles with his anger towards his best friend. They're not just teammates, but family.

11. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    To this, I would just like to say "yep".

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, if Marvel does get FF back, the Phase 4 villain should be Doom but the FF aren't in it.... until the last act of the climatic Phase 4 Avengers movie where the FF shows up full formed, kicks the bejesus outta Doom, shrugs like "hey, we were just over there" and, boyah, they're in the MCU.

13. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Heh, yeah -- that would be terrific! You're on a roll today.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That would be horrible. You have...eight films...building it all up, a two film finale and randoms show up and win the end game? I suppose you'd like the idea if you cheer on deus ex machina...

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    all said and done total, according to Box Office Mojo of the Fantastic Four budget was 120 mil and ended up with:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fantasticfour15.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $56,117,548 33.4%
    + Foreign: $111,860,048 66.6%
    = Worldwide: $167,977,596

(as a note, Force Awakens has already made 50 million in pre-ticket sales alone a month out)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Colbert: "ISIS has managed to bring the whole world together. The U.S., Russia, Western Europe, Iran and China have all condemned ISIS. The last thing that so much of humanity agreed on this much was that none of us would go see the Fantastic Four."

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm still bummed out that Fant4stic didn't turn out well, I was really hoping a dark and grounded version of the characters would work. I wouldn't mind the team, (instead of Ben) being militarized to start out. It's an interesting take and it might have been a way to distance themselves from the Jessica Alba F4 flicks, much Nolan did with his Dark Knight Trilogy.

I am going to watch this film one more time when it's available on cable or streaming. I would love to see some behind the scenes footage.

18. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I know what you mean... but "grounded" and "dark" are not really descriptors that can be applied to a colorful group of splashy-powered superheroes. Batman is inherently "dark" in tone and origins, and "grounded" in the sense that he has no superpowers. The F4, not so much on either score. Rather than confusing realism with somber-ness, this movie should have striven to present a real, relatable world in which these fantastic things are happening. They didn't and lo and behold, the movie tanks.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I hear what you're saying.

I just bought into Josh Trank's vision of the film, which was revealed in interviews and various articles. Where the team didn't initially take their new powers as gifts but rather horrible effects from an experiment gone wrong. I wanted Trank's version of the characters to be captivating and thought provoking, almost like a modern take on Frankenstein.

I'm thinking Fox is keeping Fantastic Four and will probably make them lighter in tone for the next film. I just hope they give Ben some pants.

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I agree -- it would have been damn interesting to see the Frankensteinian effects their powers might have had on their psyches, social lives, etc. The idea that they are now "monsters" as a result is intriguing. Somewhere there is a middle portion of this truncated film showing just that. Or maybe they never filmed it as written, I don't know. It would be great to see a director's cut one day, but I doubt that will happen given the lackluster box office.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    'Fantastic Four 2' Is Officially Doomed

22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You wanted it, now here it is:

23. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So guess it'll be changed to a reboot instead? They've got to make another one to keep the rights after all.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

I really hate for another Fantastic Four reboot by Fox.

[​IMG]

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless Fox wants to play ball with Marvel/Disney, or flat-out just let the rights relapse (I would think that would be likelier than playing ball), they might make a Silver Surfer movie instead, which they sort of threatened to do years ago. Hold onto the rights, not calling the movie Fantastic Four, that could be the next tactic (I think them trying to make a movie outta the cosmic elements of FF is probably going to happen, moreso than just letting the rights lapse).