main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Great.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sweet, a gritty reboot.

3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So original.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank God someone finally has the courage to do a dark, gritty reboot. Maybe Hollywood will take notice.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/josh-trank-fantastic-four-movie-has-nothing-do-comics

If you have been following all the Fantastic Four news, this shouldn't come to that much of a surprise, especially considering no costumes will be used and they won't be referring to the characters as the Fantastic Four. You could also arguably add to that the casting of Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch.
    In the latest issue of Esquire Latinoamerica, Kate Mara, who is playing Sue Storm, says (translated via Google) they won't be using anything from the Marvel comic books.
    It's currently rumored that there is some heat between Disney and Fox, with it even said things are going so far that Marvel is cancelling their Fantastic Four and X-Men comics.
    It can't be all that bad, though, as Disney did announce Josh Trank on a Star Wars spinoff, mentioning the FF movie in the process.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

[​IMG]

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

How do you get that from that quote? Bit of a leap you're making.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    How do I get what from that quote?

11. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Ugh. And the companion piece to the above makes this sound even worse:

In an interview with http://news.moviefone.com/2014/06/27/fantastic-four-reboot-found-footage/]The[/url] Hollywood Reporter, Emma Watts, the president of production at Fox, was asked if the "Fantastic Four" reboot, featuring young whippersnappers like Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Bell would feature the same found footage feel that characterize "Chronicle," Watts responded that, yes, that would be a part of it. "It's Josh, so it can't not have that feel," Watts said. "That's his talent, that's what he does, and that's what excites him about it. It is a really interesting young cast, and he is the magnet that's brought them all together."

So, to summarize this reboot- It's not going to use any established Fantastic Four material, and It's going to have a "shaky cam/found footage" feel to it, for at least part of the movie.

This has got to be a ploy by Fox to divest themselves of the property. Maybe they paid too much for the license, and they want Marvel to take it back?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm glad I remembered to post this in February... :p

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    There have been rumors and speculation that Fox does not know to do with the Fantastic Four franchise and did want to sell it back to Marvel studio a couple of months ago. I don't think that would be the case, but I found it more interesting than where LeBron James would sign.

I'm not a fan of found footage, especially with Marvel's first family. I don't have a lot of confidence this will be a great film from the things I've read. Hopefully Fox will reveal something at SDCC to change my mind.

I just hope there isn't any "found footage" with Trank's Star Wars spinoff film.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Trank's spin-off film is going to be Doom-style with video footage from inside trooper helmets...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Haha this is going to suck so hard.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    [​IMG]

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I would love to read just what the contract for Fantastic Four stipulates. Because at what point does just keeping the names, presumably powers and gender (although female Doom was once rumored) count as no longer being the Fantastic Four. At what point, if any, could Marvel actually sue them and say they can't fundamentally change the characters? I think they've skated just along that edge to be safe. Had any of the characters had a name change or power change, then I could see them going to court. But this feels just close enough to be a decent screw you to Marvel by Fox.

What I don't get is why? Especially if they ever hoped to connect this to X-Men? Then again, perhaps they are trying the First Class formula. Which, aside from the names and appearances of some characters, also drastically changed the comic version of the character (Agent Moira, completely different first class, Raven as Charles' step sister, Shaw & the Hellfire club etc.) However, even that seemed to be better tethered to the comics than this movie appears to be. This one seems to be going as far as it can from being the Fantastic Four that we know.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Okay, shaky cam and found footage, but what we really want to know is, will it be dark and gritty?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They already said that.

23. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Ok, so they already said it would be dark and gritty, but will there be shaky cam and found footage in this?

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Michael B. Jordan Says New ‘Fantastic Four’ Will Be Superheroes With ‘Disabilities’

This just doesn't make me want to see the film if it's going to be called Fantastic Four. One of the biggest appeals about the Fantastic Four is that they are heroes. They are the Marvel Universe's Superman and Justice League. The public heroes that the world trusts and loves. Celebrities in fact. This idea of coping with their abilities and trying to be normal bugs me. This feels far too much like X-Men. Just tell me that now Reed's out and Wolverine will be leading the team and we're good to go. :oops:

The sad thing is, the premise presented here might actually be good...as a separate property. But to basically take the characters of the Fantastic Four and FORCE them into this story, I don't see it working out well based on all of these reports. We'll see. First Class was a happy surprise, but I just don't expect the same from this one.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, okay -- for the first time, I'm going to side with something one of them said. That actually makes some kind of sense, in order to explain logically. What Kate Mara and Josh Trank said are pretty horrifying, but MBJ's works.

So, like say you got blind all of a sudden -- it'd be an adjustment until you learned how to operate at peak efficiency. That's a logical way of explaining how someone suddenly got incredible, cosmic power -- they'd need to learn how to utilize the new powers and how to best live their life with them and become heroic. There's just no real good way to explain logically something out of a comic book.