main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Indeed. There are audiences for all types of fantasy and SF. The trick, as always, is the quality of the delivery. And the FF are renowned for exactly that kind of, well, fantastic spectacle. The only mundane thing about them we should accept is that they are a family...of adventurers. We don't want to see them on a realistic setting. We want them rubbing shoulders or otherwise battling alien beings or ridiculous anthropomorphic cosmic powers and mystic threats. We want to see them taking on that overpowered MF of a villain called Doom. The Doom that could make Vader and his Emperor cower, not that pathetic cartoon we've had to endure one godawful movie after the other. Fox failed the FF. If they are indeed on the way to the Mouse, one can only hope that the ball is not dropped yet again with them.

Edit: Ah, sorta, kinda ninja'd by Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime and dp4m like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you want every superhero movie to basically be a guy reading the comic books the whole time?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    booooooooooooooo...

Update: Believable or not, we’re being told by our sources that this isn’t currently true. Whether or not that means Marvel will never get back the rights to Fantastic Four remains up in the air. But for now, it looks like everyone’s staying where they are.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

Sorry, I don't understand your point. I don't have anything against Guardians being the kind of movie where afterwards no one remembers a single thing about the plot or why any of it happens. That's ok up to a point. But not even TPM has that problem despite its many many flaws.

General audiences can be sympathetic with plot free movies (Transformers!) but they can have a problem with movies that are free of both intelligible plot and interesting characters.

That's Fantastic Four. Dull heroes. Unintelligible universe-spanning "issues."

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Jabs, perhaps you don't recall much about Guardians of the Galaxy, but did you leave the theater feeling like you have a good time? I think that's how most of the general felt after leaving the film. They just had fun with the characters and music.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I remember GOTG. What's the question?

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

Right. They had fun with the characters and the music. Fantastic Four is handicapped because the characters are not fun. Man of Steel: same issue. Galaxy-spanning blah blah blah and characters who were 100% not fun.

What happened?

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's why so many fanboys want Marvel to get the right to Fantastic Four. I mean, Iron Man was considered a B-List super hero before the film dropped, but looked what Marvel did with the character.

The F4 are not handicapped, per se, but rather hand cuffed by the Studio that doesn't know what to do with them.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was trying to make a reference to The Invention of Lying but couldn't find the right video.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    got it. We are not in agreement that there's anything fundamentally boring about the Fantastic Four or their particular villain issues. It's all in the execution.

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

So Marvel gives Fox tv rights in exchange for... nothing? Are they drunk? Did they lose a bet?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure Marvel got some royalties off the deal. Perhaps they didn't get F4, but maybe the did get some rights to some mutants and or villains.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Made a great film about him, and followed with two giant steaming **** sequels?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

One bad sequel, one awesome sequel!

/harumph

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

They made a deal just to get money? That's stupid they already get tons of money. As for sharing characters we already saw how that deal works with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, they don't share, they each just use one and the other doesn't.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Money is important. The could put that movie into other TV shows and development of other properties. Also, it could be a deal made to melt the ice between the two studios and set the path to better deals.

When I said the thing about sharing characters, I didn't mean in the way of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but rather the way Marvel and Sony worked it out for Spider-Man.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

But that's still dumb, they aren't in need of money and the one piece of leverage they have they would give up for that? It's asinine.

A join universe will never happen. The Fox universe and MCU are 100% incompatible, one of them would have to reboot their universe for it to possibly work.

Not to mention the idea of Fox's universe being part of the MCU is almost enough to make me want to quit the MCU as much as I dislike Fox's universe.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi Jabbadabbado

Earlier you said you didn't think you were projecting. You were, pal.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    But you'd agree that the vast majority of people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy in theaters have never read a Guardians of the Galaxy comic, and it's possible that those "big galactic issues" that thrill Marvel comics fans are probably not very accessible to general audiences and may not be coming through very clearly for the average audience of Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy?

Keep in mind, I've probably read every sci fi plot known to humans, and yet trying to understand what Loki and that funny looking dude who launched an interstellar invasion over Manhattan in Avengers were trying to accomplish confounds me.

Guardians of the Galaxy: I literally have no idea what that movie was about. But it was a lot of fun!

Rise of the Silver Surfer. The Silver Surfer is very odd. That's all I got out of that movie.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'd agreed to that and say that's why Guardians of the Galaxy was so good. It transcended beyond from being just a comic book film to a fun and viable scifi flick that was accessible to the general audience. So much so, that it didn't matter if they didn't get all the fanboy stuff. It's just a good and fun movie that can stand on it's own.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You don't think it's just that people were mesmerized by the novelty of a sci fi Ent and a wisecracking gun toting raccoon? I was enchanted by it myself, but I'm at a loss to tell you anything about the story.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's what I'm actually saying. The general audience didn't care about the comic book stuff. They just like the characters and the sound track. That's why I said Guardians of the Galaxy transcended beyond being just a comic book film as it was more than that.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd never even heard of the GotG. But that blue guy, Ronan, was mad that there was some sort of piece of accord with a generations long sworn enemy, got the gem and decided to destroy all life on that planet. I mean, it was a pretty simple, one note plot.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I do remember an angry blue guy and something about a gem.

Yeah, I mean, it's awesome to dangle a funny, mean, talking raccoon in front of people to distract them from the story, but what does Fantastic Four have to offer?

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm unsure. I didn't see any of the films because they all looked awful.