main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As big as the FF are in the comicsverse, their origins aren't as well known as Hulk or Spidey's, despite the first film doing ok. So, unless they're regulating the FF to a support role (which I don't think they would), I think a new origin would be needed- especially to establish the dynamic and place of the FF in the MCU.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Only if they're going to be in the MCU and not in the Fox-world of mixed X-Men, bad intermingled plots and ... nothing else, since they sold the rights back to everything else.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that's what Yodaminch was hypothesizing.

Though as far as Fox goes, I think there's still a need to go over the origin if they're integrating with the X-verse. The FF are probably the most obvious example of the Marvel contradiction of how the public treats supers vs mutants, which would really need to be addressed at their inception, I think.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Was he, I thought I was the only one hypothesizing the rumors of the film being scuttled now was because someone had been negotiating a cross-over and didn't realize it'd be with baby-FFers instead of adults (and one young hothead)?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No- read the post right before that post of mine, he was saying that if the FF reboot is scuttled and the rights revert to Marvel, he'd like to see Marvel forgo retelling the origin like ASM did.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, oh, oh, I got it now. Gotcha...

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Non-fans also don't necessarily remember origins of superheroes that well.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Doing it more like "Incredible Hulk" would be the most reasonable thing to do.

Correction, the ones that aren't as big pop culture wise. Superman and Batman's origins are well documented. Spider-Man's is as well, since it was done twice in ten years. The Hulk's is well known, though it has never been done like it is in the comics. Your mileage will vary with other heroes.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, this story isn't exactly dying. BleedingCool claims to know of at least two directors that turned down the offer to take over FF. Another site says the truth is in the middle somwhere. All signs point to Fox executives being nervous about the film, but still going ahead for now.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Did they list names?

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe Fox should do a feature length documentary about fan boys bitching about their handing of the Fantastic Four, with just enough superhero content to keep the rights from reverting.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Fox should realize how bad the last two films were and know a sinking ship when they see one.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would probably be why they're rebooting it instead of making it a trilogy. ;)

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

That would probably satisfy everyone, to be honest. Fantastic Four action scenes intercut with talking heads discussing the challenges and negative media they faced making the action scenes.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What bugs me is they lump in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man when... gritty and realistic is not what I'd call it. As well, the tone of the X-Men was one of persecution, with gay and Holocaust symbolism because... that's what the X-Men's about? Similarly with Batman Begins / Dark Knight(s) and Frank Miller versions...

But the Fantastic Four has never been dark or gritty or realistic and were basically worshipped as super-heroes from the instant they got back, no? Almost like... the first movie? Because they were regular people who got super powers from a job accident rather than being a mutant...

Was this an Ultimates thing?

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Gritty and realistic Fantastic Four? Oh boy, I always wanted Hank Henshaw: The Movie!

Jedi Merkurian and dp4m like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They already have a release date for the sequel. LOL

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because gritty and realistic are the first things that come to mind pertaining to a story about a guy made of rocks, a stretchy dude, a chick that can turn invisable and make force fields with her mind, and a dude that friggin becomes fire.

22. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Even Ultimate Fantastic Four is pretty wacky and fun. At least at the start.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, even there, right... X-Men had some of the same things, but that was the tone. X-Men are about prejudice and hatred and overcoming it. FF are about... being awesome. Hell, I could see a gritty Plastic Man movie (EmpireForever )

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Do we really need another gritty and realistic superhero franchise? Weren't people getting burnt out by Nolan's Bat-trilogy?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I swear if they really do try and do a dark, gritty and realistic Flash series I will flip my poop... :p