main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official FFUK: North Myspace Group??

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Spike2002, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    OK, Cozmic and I were just talking on MSN about the need for somewhere to upload and post pictures from events, make updates and also post information about ourselves as a group to anyone who might be interested in joining us.

My idea was a myspace group. It's public, and open for people to join us rather than being a private board, which I don't agree with the idea of anyway. This way we can have a place for us to put all our event photos up, attract new members and of course help the North grow even further. Myspace was chosen because it's just that popular that it may be practical.

This group won't be a replacement for these boards, BTW. I'd die before I turned the North into an insular, self-absorbed, members-only club that doesn't accommodate outsiders. The proposed myspace group is a way of attracting new members by means of another social network, and helping them find these boards when they may not have been able to find them on their own. And even if that doesn't work, our established regular members can still use it to upload photos without taking up their own bandwidth.

And, if we think about it, the more photos we post of us having a good time and enjoying ourselves, the more potential members are going to be attracted into joining us.

Anyway, thoughts?

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Well I don't really need to say how I feel about this idea :p though I did have an idea to use something like freewebs.com (Which is what the Uk Rebel Legion use) But happy to go either way :)

3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    I actually like the idea with myspace since it seems many of us are already a member there. that means we are aware how it works and each of us there has it's "network" and such
    why searching something new when myspace works quite fine for it?

4. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, it's kinda the point. Building our own separate place would be counter-productive, especially as we don't want this public board to go dead, and members would still have to find the other place in a search, by accident, while on myspace there's a pool of Star Wars fans waiting to be tapped up.

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    What I said was just an idea :p Myspace has a lot of potential to bring in new members.
    Would we run this as a group or leave it to one?

6. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, I doubt the group would require much moderating. We could pretty much have it that the incumbent CR holds the moderating job until someone else takes over, and then he passes it on to his successor.

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Fine with me, I don't know much HTML codes :p

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah don't worry, I'll try getting that one sorted. Group pages usually don't have HTML stuff on anyway.

9. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Totally agree! Its pro-active.

The Freewebs site isnt great for piccies tbh - it is limited for space (so is Myspace though isnt it?). RL are now using a different site for pics because of this.

[face_peace]

10. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I can handcode HTML if needed. I am guessing you'll need my pics too?

11. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I think it'll be cool:cool:

12. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    You would use a seperate site anyway, such as Photobucket, then just link them to the site. Also, if you wanted to upload anything bigger, without using your webspace, use Fileden, it's free and unlimited! :D

13. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    [image=http://www.simpleton.com/img/80s-ateam.gif]

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Well, it's good that the idea's getting positive feedback! :D

And like the man says, I love it when a plan comes together.

15. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Spiffing idea!

16. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I think a 'myspace' page is a very good idea - as long as it doesn't detract from 'post event' info like photo's from being posted on here

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    You don't have to worry about that Spike, posting any pics on the myspace page is just show non members what we're about :)

18. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Sounds like you guys have a really hoopy cool idea goin' on!

Nice one Coz and Sie!

I use Photobucket for my personal photo albums - I think its great! http://photobucket.com/

For business, I use Image Event - but they charge something like £20 subs for the year. http://imageevent.com/

19. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Yeah Photobucket is good, I've been using it for years :p

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    OK, it's my day off tomorrow so I'll start proceedings on building the group and sending out invites to those of you with myspace accounts to join.

21. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i have never understood myspace and i kind of don't care about it much. if my involvement could be restricted to looking at it occasionally and wohooing, i'll be fine, i guess.

22. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    There's no pressure for non-myspace members to join. It's a way of attracting new members that are on myspace themselves. More for the new, potential members than already established ones, although oldbies are of course welcome.

23. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    How's the page going Sie?

24. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'll have it unveiled by the weekend.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    OK, apologies. Later than usual! Those of you with myspaces will have received an invitation to join the group by now, but for those who don't, here be the link!

http://groups.myspace.com/ffuknorth

It's pretty basic at the moment. I welcome anyone who wants to HTML etc to make it look better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.