**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FakeHandLuke Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just got back from finally seeing it, my response . . .

Thank the maker!

Yeah, I can agree with some of the bashers that the love story felt forced and some of the dialogue was bad, but I just didn't care. I loved it. I loved the Jedi, I really started to get Anikin, and I love the fact that Padme can hold her own alongside a bunch of Jedi, there is no questionin my mind that this is Princess Leia's mother. Yoda was great, not just his fight, but the fact that we saw his playfullness too. And R2/ 3PO comic relief was much more suited for the movie than the Jar Jar of Ep I. Speaking of Jar Jar, I actually liked him in this film, and I think I could have actually seen a little (not much) more of him. Ewan really nails down Obi Wan, brings alot and not just immitates but expands on what Guinness did.

Mace Windu is the man.

R2 rocks, but I would liked to have more of him.

The biggest supprise for me was I had always assumed the clones would be "bad guys", instead of helping out, and of course the revelation about the Jedi's loosing touch with the force.

The final scene was magical for me, again I never thought they would go through with the "married in secret" idea, I was always scarred the council would make some exception for Ani cause he was the "choosen one"

One thought is Boba Fett's story essentially the same as Anikin's, except he no one comes to help redeem him?

Overall I put this right in the middle of SW films, I don't think it replaces ESB as best, and it doesn't quite have the sheer joy of ANH, but I deffinately liked it better than TPM and ROTJ.

My thoughts from my first viewing.

2. TK414 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The most important thing I noticed is how this movie FELT like a bleedin' Star Wars picture!
    I agree that C-3PO and R2 regained the comic duo role they held all through the originals. THANK GOD! JarJAr, be silent, be still!

Lucas delivered! Nuff' said!
  3. w_sasso_mdtv Jedi Knight

star 2
    When I saw it, I was a little disappointed. Why? I don't know. Perhaps because I saw it at 1 in the morning, and I was dead tired. At first, I couldn't give it any higher than a B-, but the more I thought about it, the more I began to realize how good it actually was. Sure, it had its faults, but it plenty of good aspects, mainly due to the sheer intensity of the story telling. The way things began to fall into place was great. And I thought Hayden was pretty darned good as Anakin. He brought a lot of intensity and emotion to the role. When Shmi died, I could feel his anger, and what happens afterwards was incredible. Not for the Tuskins, of course, lol. I felt that I could really relate to him, and what he went through. I can't wait to see the movie again, as I know I'm going to enjoy it a lot more than I originally did. I can't wait for Episode III. My grade: B+
  4. Muellman Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay...I originally posted how much I didn't like AOTC after seeing it last night. I was saddened and disappointed. However, upon seeing it 2 more times today, I really enjoyed it a lot more. Most of the stuff I originally didn't like, I can now appreciate (eg. the wierd pacing and scene cutting). Anyway, I guess I can now say:

Great movie! Wonderful! Blah blah blah. I love Yoda. Etc.
  5. gromek Jedi Knight

I'm still letting the movie set in a bit.

What I liked:
    -Yoda, obviously
    -Fight scenes
    -Geonosis arena scenes
    -Chrisopher Lee and Ewan McGregor
    -I still like the way the story is being told. The way the cloning factory is shown and the way that Lucas added Boba Fett into the story.
    -I thought it was visually stunning. The CGI didn't bother me at all. There were a few instances where it was obviously computer generated, but it didn't bug me in the least.
    -Anakin killing the Tusken Raiders

Dislikes:
    -The love story. The dialogue in the love story was awful. I didn't have a big problem in that it was rushed, but I needed some more substance in the lines. And the sequence where Anakin and Padme were rolling in the grass was too much. As was that ugly looking creature that Anakin was riding on.

-The lightsaber fights were too short, though that's not a big complaint.
    -I thought Shmi's death scene was horrible. She just happens to die once Anakin gets there.
    -They used paintings for some of the backgrounds. What was up with that?

Overall I liked it. Again, it could have been a LOT better than it was, but it did feel more like a Star Wars movie, and certainly any real SW fan will like it a lot. I'm not so sure about the average joe.

6. DARTH-TURK Jedi Padawan

My first initial react is hard to put into words. I really like the movie, yet I can't emphasize that I don't think you can compare it to any of the other films of the saga. It makes you appreciate the other movies more.

I read the first bunch of posts and nobody commented on the score, which i thought was awesome, especially when anakin learned of his mothers capture and his purge.

The Jedi don't have a damn clue about anything. Guess thats why they become extinct.
    Hayden is the man, and played it well.
    3po was too over the top
    was hoping to see more of the other jedi

whats up with dooku's ship?
    any thoughts that maybee Anakin is using the Force to pursuade Padmes love?

the movie trancends star wars itself.
    peace

7. jedi-mind-trick VIP

star 5
    I saw it last night at a midnight show.....and I think I was just overwhelmed.....I didn't say much all the way home.

I saw it again this afternoon, and I think I can safely say that I enjoyed the film. Did I love every single element and treasure every second? No....but I never like everything about a movie. :p

Overall.......I enjoyed it very much. I do think, however, that they managed to pack a whole lot of story in just 2 hours and 20 mins.....it is a bit overwhelming the first viewing. I found I got a much better grasp of it the second time through. :)
  8. Aderagon Jedi Knight

star 1
    *SPOLIERS AHOY!*

Well, here be my thoughts on AOTC after two viewings.

First of all, better than Phantom Menace. Easily. I didn't think TPM was that bad, but AOTC was an improvement. Anyway, on to the movie...

Always good to see the opening crawl on the big screen. I'm not a big fan on the "pan up", and the scene of Amidala arriving in Coruscant wasn't as good to me as was hyped. Afterwards, when the Loyalists are talking with Palpatine, I think that they needed to really lay out everything that was going on with the Separtists. I don't believe a casual fan would fully understand everything after the crawl and the meeting.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's introduction is handled very well, with both of their distinct personalities coming through. Anakin's initial meeting with Padme goes well, and the "grown more beautiful" line seems OK by me. The chase through Coruscant is very nice and the events following up to Obi-Wan and Anakin going to Kamino and Naboo are solid.

Obi-Wan's scenes in Kamino are done very well. Ewan McGregor has a solid character for Obi-Wan, and he playes it nicely. The Kaminoans are done very well, as is Kamino itself. Jango and Boba Fett are surprisingly good. Obi-Wan and Jango's fight is pretty cool, and a nice refresher after all the politics (Which I don't mind). The battle in the Geonisis ring is pretty cool, and there's some awesome sound work with the Slave I's seismic charges. Good stuff.

Anakin and Padme's scenes on Naboo aren't too bad, but the visit to Padme's family should have been left in. There was a definite need for it, and it would've allowed Anakin and Padme to slowly become closer. The love story seems rushed, but it's still pretty cute, and I (a sucker for love stories) liked it. Just a few complaints - when Anakin and Padme first kiss and it ends, the music stops in kind of a playful way. That totally ruined the scene for me, it made it seem like a joke. I also believe the Meadow Picnic should have been extended, it had potential to be even sweeter then it already is. Anakin's dialogue in the Fireplace scene seems somewhat forced. Otherwise, good work on the love scenes.

Tatooine was nice. Good to see Watto again, albeit more out of shape. He had some great dialogue with Anakin, and showed a more serious side of himself. The Lars' were great, and I thought Owen and Beru (especially Beru) should have played a bigger part. Shmi's death and the scenes afterwards are nice and dark. The scene with Anakin describing his attack on the Tusken Raiders is simply stunning...Wow. Best scene of the movie, in my opinion.

Geonosis and the scenes with Dooku are pretty good. Anakin and Padme on the conveyor belt is not as long as I thought it would be, which is good. The "Love Pledge" is another great scene - Natalie really nails it, and it's a nice prelude to the...

ARENA BATTLE! Wow. All I can really say. Jedi en masse, combat, action - wonderful. Padme's quick kiss to Anakin is very cute and appropriate. Mace Windu is awesome. However, I think Jango's death came too quickly. I would have liked to see him fight a little more. Otherwise, awesome scene.

The interlude with Dooku is interesting, and Yoda saving the day with the clones is a nice touch. More action follows, all very good.

The Battle of Geonosis was nice, but at times it was difficult to tell what side certain vehicles were allied with, but it was an all-around awesome scene. The cut to Dooku talking with the Geonosians was good, though it seems Dooku is somewhat surprised that Sidious allowed the Republic to come into play so soon. Seeing the Death Star plans adds a nice quality to it.

More fighting ensues. When Padme falls out of the ship, the dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan is very good. Full of passion, anger...good stuff. The eventual encounter with Dooku is decent until Yoda's arrival. After that - simply amazing.

The ending needed a little work, I think. More was needed between Tyranus (coolest "Darth" name ever) and Sidious. Not enough sense of evil between them, but the following
  9. Athas Jedi Knight

WOW WOW WOW

This movie kicks more ass than Bruce Lee with a pair of nunchucks. After seeing it twice within the span of 24 hours, it may very well be my new favorite episode of the saga.
    I was believing the romance between Anakin and Padme, particularly in the moment of tenderness and honesty between them right before the arena scene begin.
    I was believing Ewan McGregor was a young Alec Guinness. I liked the music, especially at the point before Anakin is about to snap, how the music intensifies along with his fury. People criticizing the script? Poodoo! This episode has more good lines per square meter than Episode I ever did. The one that got the most audience reaction:
    Chancellor Palpatine: "I love democracy."

I loved seeing the Jedi in action, I loved seeing Jango Fett and the Slave I in action, and holy ****, Yoda vs. Dooku, that's classic.
    I'm so glad. I'm so glad the Force is with the saga again.
  10. General Veers Force Ghost

I thought it was great (first reaction.) I found myself smiling in the theater with relief that this is not another TPM. This is the movie that Episode I should have been. There were minor faults (3PO's "humor") and some of the CG, but I plan on seeing this one more than a few times in the theater. All in all, I am very, very pleased. I almost feel like playing with Star Wars toys again right now!
  11. Blue_Viper Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have heard a few complaints about Shmi dying right when Anakin comes to rescue her. I don't understand what the big deal is. She just gave up after seeing her son. She was happy to see him again, and tell him one last time that she loved him. That's all she wanted to do.

12. RoadStar1602 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I actually went to see the movie twice tonight. The first time with my wife and the second time with my daughter. I read the book the day it came out and was very curious how certain scenes would translate to the big screen.

The first time, I came out of the theatre thinking about the same thing as when I saw TPM. The special effects are great, but it's not Star Wars. Enduring the middle of the movie when all the romance happens was painful. I nearly got up and left and if I didn't know what was coming, I probably would have.

The second time, when I was with my daughter I put away my adult thinking a little more and enjoyed the movie. Even the romantic BS that Lucas spent way too much time on didn't seem as long or as unbearable. Maybe looking at the movie more from a child's perspective helped.

Jango was awesome and the boy who played Boba was outstanding! However, the book spends time showing the relationship between father and son. They go fishing, Jango let's Boba fly the Slave I at one point, and they interact with one another like father and son, with Jango teaching Boba everything he knows. Jango is Boba's hero in the book, but none of this comes out in the movie. The father/son time is completely absent save for the "get 'em, Dad," and the "we got 'em," during the asteroid scene. (Killer scene by the way. The Slave I rocks!) Anyway, I didn't expect this relationship to be completely cut from the movie.

There was a scene in the book in which Cliegg and Owen and the other moisture farmers go after the Tusken Raiders to rescue Schmi. It's how Cliegg loses his leg. I liked that scene in the book. It felt very "New Hopish." Unfortunately, it never made it into the movie.

Conversely, I expected some of the relationship between Padme and Anakin to be absent from the movie. Unfortunately, every bit of it was there in all its boring, time consuming and corny detail. Both characters deliver some incredibly bad and downright horrible lines. ("I've been dying a little each day since the day you came back.") I think Lucas is trying to appeal to women but it doesn't work. A New Hope was a guy film written by a guy for guys. Guess what? Women liked it too.

I was estatic to see Jar-Jar limited to 3 or 4 minutes of screen time and about 10 lines. Jar-Jar is a terrible character who ruined TPM. I kept waiting for him to be mowed down by a blaster bolt while reading the book, but unfortunately, it never happened. Jar-Jar is the second coming of the Ewoks. He is Lucas' attempt to make kids like the movie and he is a miserable failure. Read the last 3 sentences from the previous paragraph and substitute the word "kids" for the word "women."

Special effects wise, the movie has no equal. The special effects blow away even The Phantom Menace. I was pleased to see the new Yoda. He looks like he's completely computer animated but done incredibly well. He looks and moves like a real being instead of a puppet. I was very curious how Lucas was going to pull off the battle with Dooku without making Yoda look ridiculous. I kept getting mental pictures of Kermit the Frog flipping through the air and Miss Piggy yelling "HI-YA!" Lucas pulled it off in a big way, though. Although the audience around me gave a little chuckle when Yoda got into his Kung-Fu pose, Yoda ended up looking awesome. Very convincing. If you suspend disbelief just a little, you will love this scene and appreciate Yoda all the more for it.

Acting wise, Samuel L. Jackson was better than last time. His performance in TPM was very poor, but this time he does a little better, especially when he confronts Dooku. Natalie Portman was better, too. She still delivers a few lines like a robot reading a cue card, but not so many as last time and she is very good in the action scenes. Hayden Christensen is flawless. I was expecting him to fail but I was wrong. He nailed it. Very convincing. Ewan McGregor was wonderful just like last time. I'm a big Obi-Wan fan thanks to him. Ian McDiarmid was just as good as last time, too. Nice performance.

There is a special
  13. yodas_hairline Jedi Knight

star 3
    i think being thoroughly spoiled saved TPM for me. that being said, being thoroughly spoiled for AOTC ruined the film for me.

i was prepared to be disappointed with the love story. i was not prepared for the love story to go on and on and on and on in the same monotone voice. i've read the novel and i understand the characters. those characters and their motivations were not properly shown on the screen though. i'm not blaming the dialogue although there were more than a few downright painful lines. i'm not blaming the acting at all. i'm blaming the editing.

aside from anakin's comments about people needing a benevolent dictator, the entire picnic scene didn't do a thing for me. i understand the importance of the love story to the overall saga but on screen it played like a rancid version of BEFORE SUNRISE (in space!) padme's bodice was the only thing keeping me engrossed in the fireside scene, which was otherwise painful with its use of "the sledgehammer of plot".

the love story would have been much better served - in MY opinion - by cutting or tightening up the scenes that made it to this most recent edit of the film and restoring the scenes with padme's family. in the book, their interactions with her family and their comments about her family went a long, long way characterizing the two young lovers. imagine actually seeing padme and anakin play with or watch her little nieces and nephews play. imagine contrasting padme's loving mother with anakin's near dead mother. lucas just made some poor, poor choices in my opinion.

the political machinations and maneuverings were great. palpatine radiated almost believable sincerity and i loved, loved, loved yoda's cutting glance toward him when he professed his love of democracy. i also loved seeing palpatine guide anakin toward the dark side, feeding his ego and insecurities. that short scene added quite a bit to palpatine calling vader his friend in JEDI.

where was half of obi-wan's search for the origin of the saber dart, though? was it cut in favor of some more screen time for anakin and padme scratching their nails across the blackboard? cutting out obi-wan's search in the archives for the dart took quite a bit away from the on screen mystery. maybe i wouldn't harp on that if lucas had left in jocasta nu's conversation about the lost twenty. that omission in particular detracted from the movie and dooku's character for me. yeah, he used to be a jedi? waddaya know? he certainly wasn't "the most painful" loss to the order.

samuel jackson has been telling everyone in the media that he gets some action scenes in this movie. if the storyboards from long ago had made it to the screen i would believe him. he dodged a flamethrower, blocked some laser blasts and unceremoniously cut off jango's head. just boom, boom, boom. they really should have left in their battle with the reek.

that being said, boba's scene with jango's head was very touching. it affected me more than shmi dying.

speaking of shmi dying, where were the tusken women and their children in papooses?

where was dooku telling anakin padme had died? where was dooku's taunting? where was yoda telling dooku he has no interest in contests? where was yoda saying this would be the end of him and dooku saying "not yet"? i don't think ebert would have complained about the lack of memorable lines in the movie had those stayed intact.

for as much as i love the final battle, which trumps anything out there, it felt like a superior version of the FINAL FANTASY movie. the clones were great and yoda's command of them equally so. it was a computer graphic cartoon though - a reverse ROGER RABBIT, as one reviewer said. (an animated movie with some live action instead of a live action movie with some cartoon.)

i cannot give this movie more than a "thumbs in the middle". the stuff that was good was off the wall phenomenal, like the land battle and yoda's thirty seconds of sword play. the stuff that was bad, like the love story, was just completely horrible. in fact
  14. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yoda's Hairline, though for me the movie was a jaw dropper-and absolutley LOVED evey aspect of the film. I have one suggestion for you.

Stay AWAY from spoilers for Episode III. For some people, knowing everything causes you to overanalyze. Most of your complaints are for things you were EXPECTING to see, but didn't. If you can't know what's going to happen and clear your mind and enjoy the film like me- you shouldn't spoil yourself.

Now to my comments. I won't re-hash what others have already said, because those that loved the love story, the political story, the mystery, and of coarse the action have already stated why I love those aspects.

The only thinkg that bothered me in the least bit was Anikan on the Shak - and even that is OK because a CGI Anakin must be something very hard to do right. There were some seens that I thought would have helped- but my friends ( who are not huge fans like me ) got the story and loved it just fine.

I want to say a little more on the love story. It got more laughs than cringes, and even a few "Awww, how cutes". The biggest love story laugh comes right after the first kiss. (By the way for the guy who thought it too much of a joke I think it was meant that way ;) ) People seemed to realize that it was just for fun. And even laughing at corney love lines can be fun for a movie goer. Yet I could hear crying during Shmis death and Anikan' "junkshop seen" - and though they started to laugh a little at the "revelation of love" they went completley silent at the power of Natalie's delivery.

Best movie experience for me in a long time.
  15. Savle_Sostas Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

This was everything a Star Wars movie should be. I'll get the bad points out the way now.

1. Hayden is a bit wooden; people were laughing at the scene when Shmi died.
    2. As is Daniel Logan but he's only a kid. Thats why I never liked the criticism of Jake Lloyd - Kids don't make good actors, they haven't got the emeotional depth.
    3. Not enough Dooku
    4. The chinese whispers which went around the theatre when the Death Star showed up. Very annoying, but understandable.
    5. Threepio's "jokes".

Everything else ruled! Yoda, Mace, and the rest of the Jedi were fantastic to see in action (and about time).

Ewan is finally making Obi-Wan his own, and his perfromance also brought back good memories of Alec Guinness. He also puts across very well that emotional detachment which Jedi are meant to have.

I'd also defend the dialogue; it wasn't that bad and remember this is a film aimed at 8-14 year olds. If the language is too complex they'll get lost, and at least the dialogue didn't condescend to the audience. People who complain about the dialogue have clearly never listened to the dialogue in the OT.

The scenery was sublime and all my fears about obvious CG have been ill founded.

The final battle is the best battle scene that I have ever come across. I was simply blown away.

The plot has thickened and become more intelligible.

Finally, Yoda!! Finally we see why he is the Master. Big thumbs up to Chris Lee for making the scene so believable.

In sum: What a film! Already it is second only to ESB in the Star Wars saga and I think it rivals even ESB as the best. Roll on EP3.
  16. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think people laughed more at Shmi's head just suddnely dropping like that. But hey- that's what would happen. Also some people- especially guys, will laugh when they are feeling vunerable or nervous. There is genuine tension in that scene that is hard to describe for me. I cried and I'm not afraid to admit it.
  17. Savle_Sostas Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think you're probaly right about Shmi's death, but that doesn't detract from my point: Hayden was a bit wooden. His delivery was just stilted. The scene where he's having a nightmare also drew some laughs. The only part where he was good was the scene with Padme in the repair shop just after the Tusken slaughter.
  18. Tyrem2001 Jedi Padawan

I feel the same as some of you guys. I saw it for the second time yesterday night. This time not in German but in English. I must say that I enjoyed it SO MUCH MORE the second time but I don´t really know why.

Maybe the first screening was a bit to much for me. This time I did not try to concentrate on the fact that it was Star Wars... and that´s probably why I felt like watching Star Wars again! Sounds strange... but the second time I was not a 31 year old business man but the little boy that went to see ANH with his parents back in the 70´s. Even the love story seemed fine now.

There is so much in it and you see it best when you are more relaxed. AOTC IS STAR WARS like it should be. I guess I will watch it over and over again whenever I have the chance to do so. But one thing is for sure. No more spoilers for Episode 3. What a blast would this movie have been without knowing what was going to happen in it?!
  19. abobbs Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, it's good to be back...

Anyway, having just seen it this evening, I must say it was *excellent*. The plot was probably the most complex of any Star Wars movie, the action and drama were captivating, the writing more than decent, and Haydn just *nailed* the part of Anakin. He seemed just a little awkward in the love scenes, but you know what? Guys are that awkward in real life love scenes. Most guys are not James Bond, and I'm glad Anakin wasn't done like that.

EDIT: As a novie stage actor, I think I also have some sympathy for how awkward it is to act love scenes.
  20. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hayden doesn't say much except mom over and over and "Stay with me, mom" I dunno- it didn't bother me- but hey I'm no actor either. Maybe if you've got an eye for those things it could have been better.
  21. yodas_hairline Jedi Knight

star 3
    skywalk - true, most of my complaints about the film started with "where was...?" it was frustrating for me to see the love story come off so bland when there was so much source material to work with. it was even more frustrating for me to watch it drag on and on when there was so much other stuff george could have spent some running time on. that's my chief compaint - why was it like "this" when there was so much of "that" there to be had?

shmi's head falling to the side was goofy but it did end with the visual of anakin holding his dead mom in that position. i snickered a bit myself.

hayden's acting was very much up to snuff though - especially when his eyes read flat out rage and his lip was quivering while he recanted the slaughter to padme.
  22. JaggFel Jedi Padawan

WOW, I am in AWE. I have only seen it once thus far and can foresee myslef watching it many many more times, in the theater. Thia may be THE best movie of ALL time.
  23. Caveman_Lawyer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well my friends. I saw it twice today. First time at 11:30 am. There were only about 20 people in the theater. [face_shocked] I am afraid and sorry to report that I was TOO spoiled this time around. I found myself waiting for lines to be spoken, and scenes to be played out. The first 2/3rd's of the film were very slow to me. Probably because I printed out the script a month ago. I don't know...........

I must tell you that everyone I saw it with loved it. Fans, and non-fans alike. I, unfortunatley, felt like it was my tenth viewing. What was good about AOTC was still good. For me though, the good parts were all in the last 20 minutes of the film. I still must discuss things with my friends who saw it with me, but I felt it wasn't as good as ESB, ANH, and ROTJ. In ESB, for instance, the film flows beautifully. *Crawl. Luke and Wampa. Hoth battle. Hoth escape. Asteroid chase. Dagobah. Bespin.*
    The screenplay and editing are perfect. ESB is a film I could watch once a month (at least) for the rest of my life. AOTC seemed spliced together by a butcher. IT DID NOT FLOW. The screen wipes, (how many were there??, 20??, 30??) stood out like Rick Macallum in a Yoga class.(cheap shot) I felt like I was watching MTV.

The second viewing was at 7:00pm, on the biggest and best screen in town. Better sound. Better picture. Most importantly, it was a soldout show. The crowd was great. I definitely liked AOTC more the 2nd time. Crowd was goin' nuts. Still...........very slow until Geonosis for me. Obi vs. Jango was a letdown. Speeder chase........didn't quite rescue the first half of the film for me.

Good points. I liked Hayden alot. I was prepared to hate his performance, but I thought he was great. He's got some serious chops. Portman was good too.There were some cringe-inducing lines between them, but I don't know what some critics were watching when they bashed these two. Ewan.........He performed above and beyond. As Obi-Wan, and as an actor. Bravo. Yoda.......good the first time.....better the second. He is the Master. Dooku.......great with what he was given. Too bad he wasnt' even seen until almost the 2 hour mark. Can you compare this screenplay with any in the OT? What if Vader wasn't seen until the lightsaber fight with Luke in ESB? Can you imagine that? I am not a basher. I feel horrible that AOTC didn't work for me. I am depressed.

My third viewing is in just over 12 hours. I REALLY hope I see some hidden beauty the third time out. Perhaps it is impossible for GL to duplicate what he gave me with the OT. Just the thought of poppin' in ESB brings goosebumps. It is not only a great movie, it is woven into our culture and subconcious. Especially for people my age.

Hopefully, with repeated viewings, I will see the light regarding AOTC.

If anyone has actually read this review, I am going spoiler free for E III. Its the last one. I must be strong.

Overall score.....(all movies) 8 out of 10.

StarWars movie score.........5 out of 10.

24. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  25. GrandMoffMoff Force Ghost

star 2
    1. Yoda rocked. I don't know if you've ever played Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, but he moved exaclty like a diminutive dark Jedi in that game. Brilliant. i loved the karate pose he strikes before the saber fight too. The only thing that sucked in that scene was Christopher Lee's line "I can see that this will not be settled by seeing who has better control of the force. This must be settled... with LIGHTSABRES!" Ick.

At times he appears to CG, but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. His range of movement and facial expressions alone are amazing. I liked seeing him interact with the Bear Clan younglings. We get to see a light-hearted side of Yoda, which is often superseded by the gravity of his wisdom. He's warm and you can tell that even though he's semi-retired, he really cares and he teaches because he loves it.

2. Hayden did an excellent job with shitty material. He displayed an excellent and believable range of emotions. I feel bad for Anakin already and he won't fall from grace for another 3 years. Again, what was bad? The dialogue. The rambling, melodramatic pseudo-Elizabethan love talk in front of the fire place was nauseating. Likewise, I didn't quite buy the way he shifted gears while Padme is packing to leave for Naboo. He switches from being suave to bitching at length about his master. The transitions just weren't there.

Likewise, Ewan MacGreggor did a good job as ObiWan. He mimics Alec Guinness perfectly when he's sneaking around or speaking. Too bad he's a member of PETA.

3. The Fetts. What can I say, I've had a Boba Fettish since I was about 4 and now I have a Jango Fettish too. I'll address each in turn.

Jango lives up to his reputation as the best (non-Jedi/Sith) warrior in the galaxy. He has the moves, the artillery, the attitude and the look. Temeura Morrison was rugged, fearless, cold-hearted when it came to work and very warm to his son. I can't say enough about his role, you've seen it, so you know what kind of job he does. His death wasn't as anticlimactic as many felt it was. He get trampled, twice, takes the Reek down with one shot and then gets taken out by one of the four most powerful Jedi in the galaxy (we'll return to this in a bit).

Daniel Logan. Wow. He humanized the Boba Fett character to a level I didn't think possible. He turned in one of the best performances in the movie. His dialogue was believable, his movements were on target and you could see the hero worship in his eyes everytime he looked at Jango. The last scene we see him in, holding Jango's helmet, with head inside, was chilling. I hope we see him in Ep. III and rumour has it he has already signed on. Maybe those braids hanging off of his right shoulder are Padawan braids. I need him to get revenge.

4. Ian McDiarmid is doing a great job showing the audience Palpatine's transformation from physically solid, unassuming Senator to the decrepit and decaying emperor from ROTJ. His inflection and temperament are evolving along with the character. I still can't wait to see if Palpatine and Sidious are the same person, or if maybe one's a clone of the other. Also, how will he reveal himself in Ep. III? *shiver* Hopefully by killing Mace in the first 30 seconds of Ep. III.

5. Natalie Portman is mediocre. As always. But she has nice abs. And I like abs.

6. Mace Windu. Someone tie him to Jar Jar binks and let the Tuskens have a go at them for a month. Samuel L. Jackson flatlines. Again. If he isn't dropping the f-bomb every other word, he comes across as what he is - a poorly trained actor, who except for his good looks, as no business being in the business. Seriously, this guys the black Keanu.

The only line he says that's believable is, "This party's over." Sounds like Shaft bustin' in a door on some dope smugglers, hence, he pulls it off. Unless Mace turns out to be a bad guy in the next movie, his facial expressions are completely inappropriate. Everytime he looks at Yoda, you (and by you I mean I) get the feeling that he wants to kick the litt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.