main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0bi-WanKenobi

0bi-WanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2002
    Guess who has a new favorite movie?

2. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I was talking to my friend on MSN messenger earlier, he's away at uni and told me his room mates went out to see AOTC today, he said: "the ones who went to see it thought it was the best film ever". :D Everyone Ive spoke to really loved it too :cool:

3. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Actually my first reaction was to buy another ticket.

4. Fitten trim

Fitten trim Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Not trying to bring anyone down, just trying to give my own opinion:

First reaction: Worst movie of them all, yes worse than TPM.

Now let me admit that I knew all the spoilers/there was an incredibly annoying woman behind me in theater who wouldn't shut up... yada yada yada.

I want to talk about the pacing/editing, and I know others have brought it up. IMHO, Lucas should have stayed with Anakin from the moment he left the Lars ranch through the Tusken slaughter. For me, the cutting away to ObiWan's story KILLED the momentum of finding Shmi.

I feel the exact same way about the Obi-Wan/Jango fight... we were watching some love scene between Ani & Amidala... then we cut to Kamino... Jango and Boba are leaving... then ObiWan appears and the fight starts. I did not feel the momentum had been built for a fight between Jango and Obi-Wan because... it hadn't built... it just happened.

Like others, I thought all the Naboo scenes were death-on-digital-film.

THE POSITIVES:
    Really liked Hayden's acting in all non-romantic scenes.

Loved the Tusken slaughter wipe to Yoda.

And like everybody, I LOVED the Yoda fight. It was wonderful!

I plan to see it again, and I hope my opinion changes to a more positive view of the film.

I

5. denseyjedi

denseyjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Amazing! The dialogue could have been better but I think the acting was solid and the plot excelent.
    By the way everybody just went crazy with the Yoda and Dooku fight it was the most wildest reaction that I have seen for a movie scene in all my life.

9.5/10

6. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
  7. CircleCompletion

CircleCompletion Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Regarding my first reactions to AOTC - alright ... here goes, this is from a late-20-something who has been something of a fan for a long time. An outline of my brief thoughts as I watched the film:

- The first scene was rather jarring; the movie got off to a quick start with the assassination sequence.

- Frankly, I found the love connection between Ani and Padme seemed forced at first - to my surprise, it did improve! IMO, Christensen is a much better actor than Portman.

- So many of the little pieces of the movie were well-done; I really enjoyed the Kamino world and the asteroid chase with Jango and O-W (couldn't help thinking of "ESB deja vu" at that point). ;)

- As usual with recent SW PT movies, I had this sense that I was watching a TV program I'd waited a long time to see. Not sure why, but one usually does get a feeling like that from SW movies...

- The Tusken Raider sequence was very obviously cut short (maybe to preserve the PG rating?), but nevertheless, the confession scene and the scene with Shmi was profoundly emotional. A strange sense came over me -- as if all my past Star Wars memories were bubbling to the surface, and, it was as if I couldn't help but feel Ani's sadness and anger.

- In a way, I'm sort of glad that I didn't see it at a premiere, because the Sunday afternoon crowd in the theater was very polite, you heard few groans, just occasional chuckles by some of the younglings there (which was nice to hear ;) ).

- I particularly liked the scene where the lightsabers gradually light up in the background at the arena; when you know the battle is about to begin. "This party's over". A great SW moment.

- There's just so much to take in during the first viewing, that as others have mentioned sometimes, it can be "exhausting". I think it will hold up very well under repeated viewings -- the same can't be said for a lot of movies.

Ok, that's all for now! :))

8. JOEYT5

JOEYT5 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 1999
    Lucas has done it! That was my first reaction. He finally has made the SW movie I was waiting for! With great dramatic moments, intense action scenes, sweeping music and stunning special FX, AOTC pleased me on just about every level!

I felt that Hayden nailed the Anakin character perfectly! I don't imagine it's easy to play the lead 'good guy' and at the same time show us an evil side, a bad temper and a possible obsession. In fact, has that ever even been done before, in a fairy tale/myth structure?? Ewan was an excellent young Obi-Wan, with many humorous lines, and I felt that Natalie was great; regal, beautiful, caring, but also ready to get down and dirty if need be! Christopher Lee is of course a seasoned thespian who handles Dooku's lines/actions with great panache. Ian McDiarmid was great as usual, and I even liked, though his "acting" part isn't very long, Temuera Morrison as Jango Fett! What a great scene between him and Ewan in the Fett apartment! Subtext, subtext, subtext! And how about Yoda?! I won't even comment about the heart stopping duel at the end, so many people already have offered volumes on that, but I was concerned about his look in the new film, after hearing he would indeed be completely CGI for this movie. I wanna say now that I've seen AOTC that Yoda looks AWESOME!! He truly looks like he is physically there, in the room with the other characters! I even saw his ears shake slightly when his head turns, just like the puppet Yoda did all those years ago!!

The story is much better and far more engaging than was the case 3 years ago. I feel that the dialogue was much more sharply honed, as well. This movie felt sooo much more "SW"-y to me than TPM did, and I came out of the theater talking a million miles an hour about all the cool scenes, characters, battles, plot points, visuals, new environments, story lines, humor, etc.

Some random things I also wanted to include here: I love how at the beginning of the film, a hologram of a Rodian appears in Palpatine's office to tell him that the Loyalist committee has arrived. Helped me to get even more of the SW "feel" early on! (Just as seeing TC-14 in the opening moments of TPM did for me!) Right away, Lucas shows us that while Anakin is a good person, a kind and caring protector, he also has a major problem listening to authority! We've barely 're-met' Ani and Obi before Obi is chastising Ani about "learning his place" and listening to his master. I ended up loving and feeling bad for Anakin by the end of the movie. I truly sympathized with him... which is what I had hoped would happen to me in this movie... it was the thing totally missing from TPM...

I also believe that I saw some of the best acting that there ever has been in a SW film to date in 2 specific spots: 1. Anakin's telling to Padme of how he has slaughtered an entire tribe of Tusken Raiders, in cold blood... (OK this is something I presume you are NOT supposed to do as a Jedi.. I absolutely got chills!) and 2. Obi-Wan yelling over the engine sound at Anakin while they are airborn on the Republic Gun Ship. "I con't take Dooku alown! I NEED you!" (read with Obi-Wan accent!) Powerful. Why? Because of the reason WHY he is yelling at Anakin - he yells at him because of a commitment he made over 10 yearso ago to teach this kid, he yells at him because he's tired of Ani not listening to him, and he yells because he loves Anakin and wants him to make the right choices. Nice work, George!

I also loved the Geonosian finale, all of it. BTW I thought Poggle' voice/dialect was the coolest!! I DID wish we could've spent a little more time with Jango Fett... even though he's not a HUGELY important character in the film, he must be at least twice the character that Darth Maul is! (I love Darth Maul's look, fighting style, etc. but he didn't have much of a character... how could you with only like 3 lines?) Mace hands Jango a fresh cup of DECAP and I jumped out of my seat! I wanted to see him in maybe just 2 or 3 more minutes worth of action, but oh well!

9. Master-Yoda

Master-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    This thread needs to be moved up :)

UP, UP, UP! :D

To keep all my posts on star wars:
    "May the force be with you!" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.