main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisho13

Daisho13 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 1998
    WOW!!!!

Just got back from the theatre in Adelaide

Loved all the references to the original trilogy - added a lot of interest to an otherwise mundane plot.

But it was sooooo much better than TPM - I think that so far it is the best except for TESB

Yeah - it's good.

2. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    i've just seen it (advanced screening). you're asking for my initial reactions right? the minute the credits started scrolling?

strangely enough, i'm indifferent, stunned silent and a tad bit dissappointed.

its strange because when i first saw TPM i was ecstatic at the end of the movie (of course its flaws dawned on me a couple of viewings later). but now for AOTC, i found myself frowning, folding my hands together thinking instead of clapping and waving my hands and yelling 'woohoo'. i really need to see the movie again. somehow those action sequences are too fast for one to take it all on the first viewing.

don't get me wrong. i thought Hayden, Ewan and everybdy else did great in bringing the characters to life and that there are plenty of scenes that was really good, but somehow i get the feeling that the movie just didn't "gel". i'm afraid to make a review right now because i fear it'll end up being mostly negative.

must watch this a second time...

3. _Holocron_

_Holocron_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2002
    EDIT: I shifted it to the thoughts thread.

I ABSOLUELTY LOVED IT. :)

4. Draethe

Draethe Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2002
    That certainly was alot better than TPM to me. The scipt was better (not hard), and it was more detailed.

The environments were amazing and I think they were probably the most stand out thing to me (apart from Yoda). Getting a more detailed look at Coruscant was something I was hoping to see especially the more seedy districts.

The ending was fantastic I was really hoping Yoda would get a more active role. I was getting stressed in the battle wondering why he didnt get involved. But then he turned up a wow what a great moment.

Only gripe the extended scenes between Anakin and Padme. They seemed drawn out and were pretty lack luster.

This wasnt a really great film when measured up against the old trilogy but it gets the job done and I enjoyed it.

5. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    DOES THE QUALITY OF THE ACTING IN ANY WAY AFFECT YOUR OPINION OF THIS OR ANY OTHER MOVIE?

no and yes

I'm not a star wars fan due to its acting... some "poor acting" here and there wouldn't tarnish my enjoyment of a star wars movie.

I'd rather have weak acting in episode 3 than a weak space fight finale.

6. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    My first reaction was--there was no reaction. I was way too overwhelmed by it. I LOVED IT!! :D :) The final battle was absolutely stunning, I'll have to see it ten more times just to stop my mouth dropping opens during the arena scenes. I hoped the wedding scene was just a tad longer, maybe with some dialogue, but it wouldn't do too much if it's lengthy.

7. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    Well this is not really my first reaction, it´s my second, I loved the movie. The acting was good and so was everything else about the movie. The only difference about my first and second viewing was that the first time I saw it the sound was higher so things like the sonic blast from Jango´s ship were much cooler (one of the coolest sfx i´ve heard) and of course i knew what to expect. My favorite scene in the movie is when Anakin walks out of the tent and kills the tuskens, his face right before the final kill sent shivers down my spine, the Yoda battle was fantastic as well
    ****/****

8. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I just loved it, every minute of it. Actors were great, plot was great and jokes were great. I'm still too thrilled to give any detail analysis. But I liked it.

"I love democracy. I love the Republic." - Palpatine

"Die, Jedi Scum!" - Threepio

9. Darth-Lunatic

Darth-Lunatic Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    IT was indeed a lot better than TPM. Had a lot more life in it, the characters the locations.

I really like the scene when Shmi is dying in Anakins arms. Then he kind of loses the plot, and slaughters the tuskens. This is the kind of evil i've been expecting to see. Brilliant!!

Yoda fighting. Well. Amazing! The audience started cheering when yoda's shadow appears around the corner. That whole scene was fantastic, Yoda is indeed the master.

10. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Yoda, The Pyscho Green Midget!

That battle was just simply the best way to finish off the story arc. I liked the way Yoda picked up his walking stick after the battle was over, nice touch. When we saw Yoda walking into the hangar, the cinema erupted, they went nuts.

Overall, seeing ep2 at Fox Studio's Australia with all the folk from fanforce nsw made it a great experience, even better as we all got into cinema 1.

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just got back, wow!! Thats my favourite Episode, simply brilliant. And to hell with the critics who say Natalie Portman is bad, I thought she was fantastic. There are some parts I wish were longer, but it doesnt matter, thats my new favourite film :D

Oh, and Yoda is playing the world for a fool with that limp, he moves faster than sonic the hedgehog!

12. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I wish, so very much, that I hadn't spoiled myself.

It definitely affected my enjoyment of a really fantastic movie.

I went to the cinema with 4 people, TPM haters all.

They all loved it!

Spoiler free for Episode III.

No-one I went with had any complaints about the acting. Ewan McGregor was incredible!

My favourite scene- Anakin's confession. Beautifully acted. Troubling and sad. I wish Palpatine was in it a bit more- but we'll see plenty of him in Episode III, won't we.

The best thing this film does is build anticipation for the final episode. Does a great job of showing the galaxy descend into chaos. Christopher Lee - what a prescence.

The romance- again, nobody had any complaints. Well played.

It is SO MUCH BETTER than TPM.

Must see it again- now I'm certain it's good, I can enjoy it more, relaxed.

Christ.

13. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I'll just repost what I said in FFNSW:

Wow..... MY GOD!

THE GOOD
    - Hayden just blew me away. He is Anakin; forget that Jake Lloyd brat
    - Obi Wan finally getting a plotline of his own
    - First 30 minutes
    - Last 45 minutes
    - DOOOKU
    - Special effects just blew my mind
    - The brilliant foreshadowing: Anakin's arm, "You'll be the death of me", etc.
    - The humour!!! It's back! I can't remember laughing so hard at 3PO jokes; they were just brill.! And, of course...
    - YODA! My-my-my-my-my-Y-Y-Y-Yoda! I just loved the big cheer that went up when he walked into the room with Dooku; everyone knew Dooku was in for a big ass kickin'!

THE BAD
    - Shmi... ye gads! That had to be one of the worst pieces of acting I have ever seen in a SW film. Worst overacting ever. Was the overexaggerated head tilt REALLLY necessary? Pity, Hayden did really well in that scene
    - Ani's "nightmare"... most suspicious scene in a SW film ever. How did editing not pick that one up?!?!?!
    - overuse of CG. George, could u not afford to employ actors to wear clonetrooper suits? They were horribly CG

THE UGLY
    - My popcorn. Can I have some popcorn with my salt?

But, overall, a FANTASTIC movie! The problems were relatively minor and were quickly forgotten by the last 45 minutes. I'll have to see this again in a few days (let my mind breathe a little... phew!)

New ranking (in order of favouritism):
    ANH
    AOTC
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TPM

Excellent. Wow

14. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    my first thoughs when i walked out?

muppets. kick. ass.

more later, i'm just still digesting yoda's fight scene.

15. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    - Ani's "nightmare"... most suspicious scene in a SW film ever. How did editing not pick that one up?!?!?!

^^ That is so true! :eek: And when he says "Mom!" it makes it worse! LoL

16. TANTIV

TANTIV Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2001
    Awesome i sat down to a packed house and everyone loved it

Yoda was Fantastic the house went Nuts when he came in and when he pulled out the old saber they brought the roof down so glad i`m seeing it again in 7 hours ;)

17. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    What does that mean? Why was that scene bad? Bad acting?

18. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    It just looks like Anakin is having a little fun in his bed or something [face_plain] not a nightmare :p

19. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    everyone burst out luaghing when that popped up, classic!

btw, anyone else think Yoda is on Crack? i hear it makes you go really crazy and you think you are 10 foot tall and invicible....

20. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    Maybe he was dreaming of something....else before that :)

Hehe

21. Obi_wan_fanboy

Obi_wan_fanboy Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    I thought that the battle scenes weren't very realistic and/or true to life. Back in my day, we didn't have all these fancy 'laser beams' and so called 'clone troopers'. War is heck man, even 'the star wars'. my mum smells of wee.

22. FrogSpiter

FrogSpiter Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Why these two Thread?
    I mean this one and "Official *** I've seen the movie, here are my thoughts**** thread"

?
    Both are "official"...

23. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I AM LEAVING!!!!!

IN ONE HOUR... WOOHOO!!!! :D

24. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    Ani's "nightmare"... most suspicious scene in a SW film ever.

LOL! [face_laugh] Oooh, the girls will love it. *snort* I can't wait to see the audience reaction when that scene "pops up". :D

25. Vhon_Gaerikks

Vhon_Gaerikks Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2000
    Just got back from UK midnight screening

The nightmare scene - wish I had nightmares like that....
    Threepio's jokes in the final battle made me cringe a little - too corny!
    I found the little in-jokes and references to the OT became a little distracting and were too obvious. They needed to be more subtle.
    There was a CG overload in the final battle. Sometimes I long for the realistic look of the OT, Real sand, Real snow, Real forests. Although CG effects are amazing, they still look unreal because they look TOO perfect.

Aside from these minor gripes I thought it was FANTASTIC!!!!

It was worth staying away from these boards for nearly a year (missed y'all though), although I'm planning on being totally spoiler free for EpIII...

Did anyone find Dooku's escape speeder in the final battle really funny? The 50cc moped of the GFFA!
    Also I want some seismic charges. They are class!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.