main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robot717

robot717 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2001
    I can NOT wait to see this thing!!

2. bw_dave

bw_dave Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    OK after having time to sleep on it - here's a few more things I remember:

- loved the bit during the first kiss where the music suddenly stops ... very humourous and got a good reaction from the crowd.

- The crowd seemed to find all the Australian and kiwi actors quite amusing. Especially at the Lars homestead ... it was like watching an Aussie TV show!

- Hayden pleasantly surprised me, and I thought he pulled it off well. Was it just me, or did he come across as a bit leering and lustful in the "love" stuff? If I had a daughter I'd certainly think twice before letting her go out with a guy like this.

- I also though the 3PO stuff was fine, and the crowd loved it. I was expecting it to be bad after hearing negative reviews - I think maybe some people just need to lighten up a little.

3. KITTY_FISTO

KITTY_FISTO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    BRILLIANT movie. Utterly superb. By far its the best StarWars film to date. Only from time to time was the dialogue a little corny, but the acting and emotion - especially in Hayden's Anakin was top quality.
    I really got involved in the story and the action scenes were both intense and beautifully choreographed.
    Coruscant chase, Jango and Obi's battle in the rain, the Droid Factory, Arena beasts and battle and Yoda's lightsabre battle were the highlights.
    I only faulted one effect, and that was Anakin riding the Shaak creature in the meadows of Naboo - other than that, all of the effects have come so far since TPM.
    Yoda was such a accomplishment to ILM. Bravo.
    Did anyone notice how at the start of the movie, Cordes shoes got blown off in the explosion ? Bizarre. Also - did anyone notice how Jango hit his head on the ramp as Slave1 took off from Kamino ? Was this a homage to the Stormtrooper hitting his head in ANH ? hmmmm....
    After seeing AOTC, you want more and the need for Episode3 is now so great !
    Definately an 11 out of 10

4. bw_dave

Aug 19, 2001
    Yeh I noticed the jango hitting his head bit. I think a lot of other people in the audience did too, judging by the chuckles around the cinema.

How about all the jedi leading the clone troopers off to battle as well?? You'd think after their mammoth fight in the arena and the narrow escape, they'd be ready to put their slippers on, and sit in front of the fire, but nooooo ... they're straight into it. Pretty cool.

Was anyone else surprised at how much we saw in the Tusken slaughter? It must have just sneeked into the PG rating restrictions, since we saw numerous heads go flying!

5. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    Just about to take of to go to a midnight screening in los angeles.. gotta get in line early to get some decent seats. Its playing on 9 screens at the theater i'm going to and they're all sold out.. good thing i got em early.

The anticipation is swelling in me now. May the Force be with you.

;)

the spoiler forums have been fun. cya all in the ep 3 forums.

6. SMPEARCE_22

SMPEARCE_22 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Just got back from seeing the midnight showing and i really enjoyed it,

So i'll give my opinions on the great bits, the good bits, and the 'bad'

1st off, i'll start with the acting.

Hayden: Touch and go i thought, the bits where his performance mattered this guy acted most the others off of the screen.
    He was simply brilliant wen it called for him to show any kind of serious emotion,

I never considered id finding myself liking the character of Anakin so much, being that Obi wan has always been a favorite character,

but hayden brought so much life to Anakin it was hard not to genuinly feel sorry for Anakin, or outright fear him.

Wen it called for Anakin to go dark, he was simply haunting, and so emotionally charged you could see this guy WAS vader, but in some ways so much more fearsome, cos you could see the anger in his eyes and his line delivery was so full of hate anger and raw emoiton.

And i also thought his love for padme was quite touching, i got the impression he was afraid to loose her feelings, even b4 he had lost his mother, he has an empathy with her, he knows it, and wants her so badly he doesnt know wot to do.

Hayden has so much emotional depth it was great to see so much life in a character i was determined to dislike on principal, i will swallow my pride and say, Anakin's emotional scenes really made the movie.

However Hayden was unengaging at times, mainly his 'filler' dialogue was delivered in monotone, and was quite crap to be honest, very....i dunno, just the delivery seemed disjointed without any real reason.

But wen it mattered he was great so it more than makes up for it.

Ewan: Well as a Mcgregor fan, and Kenobi being my fav character, i guess i'll be bias.

Simply brilliant, has the character nailed, and the role is now his.

But i think wot disjointed me so much from this film was the technical side of this character.

I mean Obi wan, was done brilliantly, he had the most scenes that seemed classic starwars, and some cracking one liners and a good story line surrounding him.
    So that was fantastic

BUT i was constantly dostracted by the continuity in his character, only physically.

It was the same as episode 1,

When the film had gone into pick up shooting, Mcgregor obviously required a wig, and a fake beard.

And once again it was sooooooo false (especially the beard)that it drew me out of the movie for a bit, now this is just me being nit picky, and i hope it didnt spoil any1 elses enjoyment, but it was just enough to make me dread the next scene anticipating wether he would look like Obi wan, cool looking Jedi, or guy going in fake wig and beard dressed as Obi Wan at fancy dress.

I hated that it did that for me, cos i love the character, and i enjoyed the film, it was just a minor detail that got to me.
    Others wise i wouldnt say so.

Another Obi wan fault, which again just disapointed me was the re-dubbing in post pruduction.

Mcgregor had the deliveries spot on in the trailers, and since some/most of the re-dub was done after their release, it was different and in my own opinion nowhere near as good, and the only reason it niggled at me is cos id heard those particular lines delivered better b4, and i just wondered why they couldnt have kept the best version.

Thats why i say the only faults with Obi wan were technical cos it wasnt down to acting or character or story just the post production process and me being overly critical of such minor details.

Christopher Lee: Wow, this guy was great, he was just brilliant and i cant say a lot, but im glad Lee got the role cos i cant imagine Christopher Walken or Gabrille Bearne making this character wot Lee did, Lee added a certain charisma, charm, and intelligence to the character and was exactly wot he should have been.

Only critisism....Not enough of a good thing. More of him for Ep3 please

Padme: Hottie. She sexier, smarter, and more confident in this episode, ok, she like Hayden has weak moments but she is captivating to watch, she is simply beautiful.

But her acting real

7. Khanus

Khanus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Its been two and a bit hours since Ive seen AOTC at Odeon, Leister Square(UK). It's now 4.50 am...What do I say?

WOW!

Call me a gusher but THAT was a Star Wars movie!!!

What a great atmosphere we only had Anthony Daniels introducing the film with four stormtroopers!Then a brief cameo by Rick McCallum!!The audience including me went wild!!!!!!

The film started and again cheers! Forgive me for the incoherence but my head is still buzzing!

The love story? It worked...yeah, some lines were cheesy but in a lovingly Star Wars way. The only scene I didn't like was the rolling in the grass..it was like an Indian film in space!

Hayden was brilliant, so was Chris Lee but Ewan MacGregor RAN the whole film...the audience lughed at the one liners and subtle nods and winks to the OT...they also laughed at Anakin moaning during his nightmare, (it wasn't the best acted scene) but they went absolutely wild when the Jedi's entered the arena...the final battles match any classic scene from the OT. Jango vs Obi Wan was brilliant but of course the show stopper was our beloved Yoda...the endearing memory of this entire night was my girlfriend on one arm enthusiastically cheering whilst my brother jumping up and down shouting "THIS IS TOO MUCH!"- one of THE great moments in cinema...

AOTC is a classic Star Wars film that eclipses Jedi and Menace and is rivalling Star Wars for number 2. Subsequent viewings will make my decision. Empire is still number 1 but roll on episode 3, its position could be threatened!!

AOTC is Star Wars at its best!

8. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    I'll be short and sweet.

A New Hope, Empire strikes back and Attack of the clones own me......enough said.

Fantastic movie.

9. DarthSam

DarthSam Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    The Day after the night before! I went with friends, and was decked in the full Darth Vader outfit, Man it was awesome!

First i just want to say, How AWESOME was the Yoda Fight scene? definately the best part of the movie, just seeing him walk up to dooku the whole audience started cheering.

I have some grievances though, WAAAAAAAY to many puns and one liners, i mean 3PO? what was he thinking? "what a drag" "im beside myself".
    Also, i think that the whole anger/angst anakin character was a bit over acted, and also Padme fell for him much too easily. after what, two attempts to crack on to her seriously, shes like, "ive been losing a part of myself everyday since you returned"
    dude, either he's one slick guy or she's just desperate! and lastly, i though Zam Wessel wouldve had much more time than that on the screen!

As for other awesome bits! When Mace goes : "THis Party's Over" and "I dont think so". the booing Jar Jar recieved when he first appeared. When you see all the jedi suddenly surrounding the amphitheater. Natalie portman in that White Top :).
    Jango Fett and his KIWI accent. (Aussie Aussie Aussie!) and all the other kiwi/australian accents.

I could go on and on, but to wrap it up before i get stuck here all day, Im left with kind of a sense that i know whats coming next, as it has to lead into episode 4, and thats a bit of a downer, but you know what they say, Getting there is half the fun!

yours until Yoda gets plastic surgery,
    Sam

10. Master-Yoda

Master-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    How was Obi-Wan in AOTC?{he is my favorite hero other than Yoda. :) And no one has said anything really good about him yet.

I get to see AOTC tomorrw at the HIGHLANDS RANCH AMC 24, in COLORADO, at 12:30 P.M. :D It may not be midnight but I'm so happy to see it that soon!! :D

MASTER-YODA :)

11. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Wow, great

DEATH STAR...WOW

Yoda fighting...WOW

Dooku....KICKS MAULS BUTT ANYDAY

unfortunately...

CGI...nothing spectacular. Not that big of an improvement of TPM...Kaminoans in their city looked a bit off.

Yoda mouth was off (but I have never seen a good CGI mouth)

They overeditted the two fights with Jango...even the select pic with obiwan and Jango was gone..and Mace and Jango was blink and you miss it stuff.

And the droid factory scene was not necessary.

Other than that, because I won tickets to the advanced screening, I WAS MORE SPOILED THAN SITH INTERCEPTOR FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS!

12. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Master-Yoda, Ewan was great. I'm a huge Obi-Wan Kenobi fan too. He gets a lot more to do here than in TPM. The only bummer I found was that you wish his action sequences lasted longer. His fight scene with Jango and his duel with Dooku fly by.

13. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Ok, I got to bed at 6 in the morning yesterday... we had dinner after the film (at about 3 in the morning) and then came home.

Got there about 9:30 PM to wait in line (all 10 of us!). None of us were dressed up, though there were several Jedi, one Palpatine (with make up), one Queen Amidala (with dress and make up), two Leias (with buns) and three guys wearing potatoe sacks and plastic Yoda masks!

Eventually we got in and there was a mini-lightsabre tournament up the front. It was ok (the guy with full Tusken Raider gear with his PROPER Gaffi Stick kicked everyone's ass). The best bit was then a guy with Two Red Lightsabres brought down a Jar Jar head, through it at the guy he was fighting, then they both ran up and started hitting the Jar Jar head with their sabres (the Tuskan also joined in).

That brought HUGE cheers from the audience, but not a huge as what was about to come:

20th Cent Fox logo - Big cheers.
    Lucasfilm Logo - Bigger Cheers.
    STAR WARS logo and fanfare - Place went nuts.

Then we started and everything was really cool. Speeder chase was a great deal of fun. Obi-wan kicks ass. Blah blah blah, they talked a lot but I didn't find it slow. If anything the movie went TOO fast.

Yoda's looks at Palpatine were nice. You can tell he thinks something's going on.

Anakin was whiney, snotty and a complete brat at the begining, exactly how he was in that part of the book, and Hayden NAILED it perfectly. The fighting with Obi got laughs from the audience, as did the "death of me line". Actually, with that line there was about a 2 second pause, then people started laughing as they got the joke.

Speeder chase, fantastic. That's all I can say. It beats the Pod Race hands down (although not the extrended Pod Race on the DVD).

Dex was nice, a different SW character. Reminded of the pirate from the Simpsons the way he talked. Him pulling his shorts up got a lot of laughs.

Younglings scene was great. So cute, got a lot of laughs ('cause it was so cute!). Yoda looked fantastic in that scene. Hats off to ILM there.

The Kaminoins were strange, Lama Su sounded too human (if you ask me). Clones, great. Jango, fan-bloody-tastic. Boba, about 10 bazillion times better than Jake Lloyd (not that that's hard mind you).

Obi v Jango fight: OMFG! That was great (plus had the best line in the film - "O-oh... NOT GOOD!"). Plus Obi doing old Ninja movie fly kicks was cool. Jango's blade thing shocked me, didn't know he had that. And I feel sorry for the British Audiences (if the headbutt was actually cut), it looked SO painful!

Anakin and Padme on Naboo. Yes they say every love cliche in the world. Yes it's cheesy. But did it work? HELL YES. Natalie struggled a bit (probably because she was concentrating on breathing in that tight black thing more than anything else) but Hayden, again, nailed it.

And Anakin nightmare got a lot of laughs from the audience. Somehow I don't think that scene came off as it was meant to.

Over to Tatooine and I think Beru had, like, a line! Owen looked positivley stunned (which is fine, as Joel Edgerton said that's the way he acted it, as Owen would be in awe of his worldy step brother Jedi). Cleigg was believable. 3P0 was great! It was great nostalgia for that "meal" scene as it was filmed at the same angle as Luke and Owen's argument over the academy. Quite nice. Looked like the same set.

The Tuskan Massacre? The look of HATE on his face when he did that, and it was so fast. Works much better implied than seen.

I head Qui-gon's voice, it was Liam Neeson. It sounded like the "Anakin! DROP!" from TPM, but with No, and then NOOOOOO, put after it.

The confession to Padme - Beats whiney Lukes "NO!" when Vader drops the bomb any day of the week. The seething anger in his "I HATE THEM" send chills down my back. Again, Hayden NAILED it. How can ANY critic attack him? He was perfect in that film (other than the nightmare scene which was funny for all the wrong reasons!).

Obi v Slave I - Another cool scene. Everyone mentiones the sonic mines, but I'll mention them a

14. bw_dave

Aug 19, 2001
    Yeh I thought OB1 was great too. Ewan really owns this part now, and has some classic moments. Its much easier to feel drawn to our favourite jedi in this movie that in TPM.

Also he has all the best lines and delivers them well. Look for his facial expressions in the arena when he spears the crab-thingy... classic stuff :)

However after showing him as a master swordsman in TPM, I too thought his fight with Dooku was too quick, and he was whipped too easily.

Can't wait to see him in EpIII, kicking Anakin's butt.

15. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    bw dave, "Good call"(as Obi-Wan says) about Obi-Wan's facial expressions when he stabs the acklay creature. That was sweet!

16. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Somehow I don't think that scene came off as it was meant to.

Then again, maybe it came off exactly as it was meant to. ;)

That was bad, sorry, but I couldn't resist. :D

Thanks for the reactions from everyone who has seen it. It's always more fun to read reviews from the similarly obsessed. :)

17. Jedi_Kit_Fisto

Jedi_Kit_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    ONG :eek: I just saw it.
    It was AMAZING :D
    I love how Mace cut off Jango's head :) Sweet :)
    It's hard to narrow AOTC down to certain scenes.
    But the whole movie was just awesome :D

18. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    GREATEST. MOVIE. EVER!
    I went to the 7:30pm sneek preview show here in Albuquerque, NM. All I have to say is I was completely blown away by this movie!
    I'm sure much of what I have to say will be repeated in the days to come, but here I go:
    Threepio had some of the funniest lines in the movie. His entire Arena ordeal was hilarious, and had the theater cracking up.
    Powerful acting by both Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. Shmi's death, the subsequent Tusken slaughter, bringing her body back, and the garage encounter were some of the most emotionally-charged in the film. I really felt for Anakin during those scenes. I also enjoyed Padmé's revelation of her love for Anakin before they were taken into the Arena. Brought back memories of ESB for me, and in my opinion, it was Portman at her finest.
    Of course, I have to mention the fight scenes. Count Dooku makes you look at Darth Maul in a whole new light. Where Maul was scary, Dooku is downright evil. I loved when he used the Force lightning to throw Anakin aside on his initial charge. Watching all of the Jedi in the Arena was the best; it was over too quickly for me! 8-}
    The score was brilliantly done. I had avoided buying the soundtrack until I had seen the movie, but I'll be sure to go out and get it tomorrow. I loved how themes from both TPM and the OT were woven through it. It really helped bring the movie into perspective with the others.
    I'm going to see it again tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be back to post more then. What a way to culminate three years worth of anticipation! WOW!

19. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Watched the midnight premiere last night. Excellant movie. The final battle action sequences were of course the highlight. I was especially blown away by the special effects in the Clones vs Droids battle. Amazing.

And also, when Anakin searches and finds his mother, it contained one of the, if not THE most emotional scenes in the entire Saga. I thought alot of the acting was well delivered :)

Was it just me or did the beginning of the movie have dark lighting?

And at the beginning, Yoda didn't sound like Yoda. He sounded...different.

Anyways, this would definately be one of my favorite Star Wars movies. Probably second to Empire Strikes Back. :p Gonna go see it again next week after my exams :D

20. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Yoda rocked.

Obi-Wan a close second.

Love story not so good.

But overall, very good.

21. DarthBooger

DarthBooger Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    Hottie. She sexier, smarter, and more confident in this episode, ok, she like Hayden has weak moments but she is captivating to watch, she is simply beautiful.
    >>>
    Yep and if you saw her in The Professional it is destined she will be a great actress and has had some nice roles already. "Anywhere but here" is not bad and "Where the heart is" is a very cute film.

But you nailed it as her in this movie shows how she can be the genes of Luke and Leai. Gutsy, not scared of nothing and beautiful to boot.
    Was nice to see them put some outfits on here that showed her body but in a good way :p...maybe that explains Anis dream [face_love]
    They wanted her to be Beautiful and they pulled that off easy by using flowing clothes and just well, not covering her from head to toe.
    Then going from the looks that would make any young guy fall in love to the girl in the wight torn outfit shooting anythijng that got in her way.
    She showed all sides too.
    Ani did as well I thought. he had to show many levels of emotion
    Some better than others but to already know that the evil is just underneath it does make sense that he at times is rather out of control with emotions...

anyways, all in all it's a great film.
    All of them have flaws as the Original 3 surely did from dialogue to acting.
    To compare you need to compare the others on the same level and it is on or above all of them I think
    and the cgi with Yoda really changed him forever
    I mean I was watching EP5 the other night I think it was and Luke running around the swamp with a doll tied to his back well, it was rather obvious.
    So, compare that to THIS and wow, times have changed for sure!

TB

22. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, Yoda didn't sound like Yoda at the begining. I don't know why that is.

I actually noticed the first line where he sounded like Yoda.

Bizzare.

BYE

23. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    AWESOME, this movie is the best, it doesnt have the classic feel as the originals, but its worthy of the name star wars. The first 15 minutes were more exciting than the whole of Episode I.

And the Yoda lightsaber battle made Duel of the Fates look childish. WOW! Who would have thought Yoda could move like that?

Get this folks, the stuff that was supposed to be funny actually was funny. :eek: George Lucas has a sense of humor.

But how did everyone like Jar Jar being responsible for bringing about the Empire?

24. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    That was a terrible movie.

Now I know how all those people felt who didn't like Menace.

EDIT: I shouldn't have said ?terrible,? but it was the worst of the bunch.

25. HarpuaFSB

HarpuaFSB Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Just got back. Oh my god!

Yes the romance is cheesy but it's only about 15 min and it's cut between that and Obi-Wan's investigation, the thrashing of the romance is undue.

You will not be dissapointed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.