main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    That last shot was executed perfectly. I love the way Anakin and Padme were facing away from the camera, as opposed to the usual hero's facing camera shot. I loved the symbolism there. That just kind of jumped out at me while I was watching.

2. Leiaosolo

Leiaosolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 1999
    I have only had 2 1/2 hours of sleep, but the showing at midnight today in Munich, Germany was a sell-out! And they were a great bunch of fans for the place rocked!! We even cheered when the house lights went out for the previews. (There were quite a few loud cheers for Spidey!) Then the lights went back on and back off again, to more cheers. Wow!! I had seen the premier on the 11th and had just read the book, so I knew what to expect, but half the theater jumped when the Naboo ship blew up!

The death scenes of Corde and Shmi were classic Western type deaths, though they looked corny. I doubt that the actresses would have made them so dramatic had they not been told to. Everyone laughed when Shmi stopped in mid "I love you" and let her head fall back abruptly, but Hayden really pulls you back in quickly and seriously moments later!!

I'm very happy with Padme's acting this time around. She has really gotten better.

Queen Jamillia was horrible.

Everyone laughed when the trooper ran up to Padme in the sand after she had fallen out of the transport and said "Are you ok?" to which she answers "Yes"............Ok, that was CORNY!!!

Loved the humuor of 3PO during the intense fighting. That is classic SW: to make fun of things when all is in chaos!!

Obi-wan............WOW. He seemed so much more like Alec Guiness. McGregor did super.

Hayden?...........double WOW. I knew he would do alright when I saw him act in Life as a House, but he was awsome in AOTC. I really enjoyed how he acted out the love scenes, like a much-to-heavy-on-the-hormones young man. His looks at Padme made MY heart go pitter-patter!!

I only have one question about what Yoda says in the book that didn't make it onto the screen. After he sees Anakin's trouble on Tatooine he mentions to Windu that Jedi can't come back to a state of conciousness after they are dead. I am wondering if, because of the meditating that Yoda is doing, he finds out in Ep III that it IS possible to return as a spirit form and then trains Obi-wan in it's use: "I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Your thoughts?

I really like the movie and am totally impressed with Yoda, though at first I didn't think that I would like him. ILM, you guys are the GREATEST!!!

Mas Amedda's lower horns need to be a bit stiffer, unless they are soft horns and are supposed to wobble when touched.

Loved Jar-Jar, again!

Second viewing of the speeder chase scene in Coruscant was better knowing how it goes in the book!

I suggest everyone go read the book AFTER the first viewing then go see it again!

I can hardly wait til Sunday afternoon when I get to see it for the 3rd time!!

3. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Ok bad radio, tell us why?

And don't use the word Jar Jar at all.

BYE

4. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh my, this is the best SW movie I've ever seen.
    I think it can only be topped in 3 years!

:D

5. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    OMG OMG, EPisode II ROCKED!!!

Critics Truly DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY TALK ABOUT!!!!

No problem with Hayden & Natalie's acting... THEY'RE INCREDIBLE, ESPECIALLY HAYDEN!!!! :D

MORE ON THIS LATER!!!!!!!

6. fat

fat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2002
    I could hardly believe that I was actually watching the movie as I saw it, but once I accepted that fact I became totally embroiled in the movie unlike any other movie-going experience I have ever had. It's an entirely different sort of movie than the other four Star Wars films, but it is very very much a Star Wars film itself. It went by so quickly, I must've missed so much. I need sleep now. I'm in shock. Wow.

Regards,
    fat

EDIT: First impression - quite possibly the best movie I have ever viewed

7. Leiaosolo

Leiaosolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 1999
    Hey, Bad Radio.......
    Do you want to express your opinion about WHY you think AOTC was "terrible"?
    Why do you think so?
    Just curious.............

8. shredhed16

shredhed16 Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    WOW
    Just got back from the midnight screening and I can now honestly say that this movie was fantastic! Walked out of the Phantom Menace with a shrug, walked out of AOTC in pure awe.

Random thoughts:
    -Love story was great! Although critics ravaged it, and while much of the dialouge was corny out of context, the way it played out made it seem much more realistic.
    -Acting was top notch too. Even Natalie, whom I was worried about, gets a lot of emotion in there.
    -Only dissapointment came from Jango Fett, who I felt was underused, and the fight between he and Obi was a bit dissapointing.

Overall, I felt this was a truly brilliant movie with an interesting plot and some amazing effects. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy an amazing experience!

9. JediMasterBrian4

JediMasterBrian4 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2001
    Attack of the Clones was incredible. Second only to The Empire Strikes Back. The battle scenes are simply amazing and the climactic duel was unreal. This is 15 times better that EP1 and restores my faith in George. The acting was actually pretty good with Hayden and Ewan giving impressive performances. This is a movie I will go to see many many times over.

10. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    Reaction? You want a reaction? You got it!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

OK, now that that's out of the way. . .

I was quite impressed by the acting in this one. Hayden, Natalie, Ewan and the rest did a great job. This is the best since Empire, hands down. It doesn't beat Empire, but it certainly is a movie worthy of the Star Wars banner.

11. kneesa

kneesa Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2002
    Attack of the Clones rocks, rolls, and does the watusi.

This is the film Phantom Menace should have been. Any weak spots fly by so fast they barely register.

I'll be seeing this again tomorrow for sure.

I feel like I did back in 1977. Total Star Wars high.

12. Blue_Saber

Blue_Saber Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2001
    Well, its 3 a.m. just got back! All I have to say is that I loved it! I now have a new favorite Star Wars movie!!!!!

13. klrobinson

klrobinson Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 1999
    I was completely blown away. This is NOT a movie you can watch just once; there is simply too much to process.
    My negatives would be: too much CGI, not enough development with the Lars family, and the rush-around on many of the plot developments. There actually seemed to be TOO MUCH plot....that is, too many planets, too many characters, too many twists and turns.
    HOWEVER, I loved the movie outright, it left me yearning for more, thought the acting was just FINE (the critics are wrong..it is NOT perfect, but that Hayden CAN act!), and the final battle is just out of this world. Nice touches like the diner scene and the padawan training were welcome. I also appreciated the subtlety of the end lightsaber battle between Dooku and Anakin...the shadowed close-ups sent chills down my spine.
    This was a fun, enjoyable film. I'll give it a B for now, until I can see it again and view it from a different perspective.

14. skibum

skibum Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2002
    f'n sweet I loved it. It looks like everything is coming together. Could have done without the Shaak ride but everything else I thought was great. A wonderful setup for Anikins character and despite criticism of the acting thought what needed to be brought across came across. Final shot parellel to ESB ending was sweet.

15. Live Fast...Dianoga

Live Fast...Dianoga Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2000
    im still unable to produce a cogent thought.

so, here's my gut reaction folks....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am definitely gonna try to score a repeat viewing tomorrow and friday as well. Then i might be able to let it all sink in and be analytical.

p.s. i could have sat through 2 hours of yoda kicking arse on its own. very well-done. it all happens so fast it caused sensory overload.

p.p.s. did anyone else hear the wah-wah pedal when mace sidled into dooku's box in the arena? you know, the 'wocka-chicka, wocka-chicka' sound? no? guess that was just in my head... ;)

16. Xwing_Pilot

Xwing_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2001
    Whew what can I say! I haven't visited this forum are watched any trailers in over a year and I was basically spoiler free for the first viewing.

Some things that stick out in my mind:

1. The movie was good, much better than TPM.
    2. Any scene involving Jango Fett was pure bliss.
    3. Amidala is looking extremely good.
    4. The Yoda fight scene stole the show, the whole place cracked up when he did the karate move.
    5. There was a lot of action, maybe a little too much.
    6. Jar Jar only had a few scenes, which worked fine.
    7. The robot assembly line scenes were a little "out there" and really not necessary.
    8. I loved watching all the Jedi fight together.
    9. Obi-Wan really shined in this movie, I think Ewan really grew into the part and he seemed a lot more like Obi-Wan from ANH.

That's it for now, I wish episode 3 was already done :(.

-Xwing

17. CTHD1303

CTHD1303 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    First reactions...

Well, I didn't want to think anything when I got out of the theater. I was totally confused as to whether I liked or disliked this movie. Personally, I think that it was saved by Obi-Wan's story line and the acting of Ewan McGregor. The relationship between Anakin and Padme I will probably cope with before I see it again in about 8.5 hours. I need some time to recover. The acting compared to TPM was better, however the lines were not. It is the subtle movements, smiles, glances which will be remembered. The most memorable moment for me, and lots of fans, was the fight between Yoda and Dooku. Not the fight itself (even though it was spectacular), but the little things: when Yoda appears in a shadow, when he reaches for his lightsaber. These are the things that we adore. However, hearing Obi-Wan say "my young padawan" over and over again is just a tad redundant. While segmented, the plot and storyline was good. And I cannot thank them enough for NOT killing Dooku in this one. In my opinion, Dooku is a great character that should be left with questions about in Episode III. Also, one of the most spine-tingling pleasurable moments for me was when Dooku held the holograph of the Death Star. It was definitely a fan film. Even though the Padme/ Anakin thing was rushed, it was good enough in the Star Wars universe.

18. BLKNIGHT18

BLKNIGHT18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2001
    I've been waiting 3 years for this...

AOTC is a throwback movie, a sci-fi serial in it's truest sense. The film is FUN, from start to finish, more fun than any SW movie by far. This will be a movie you will enjoy watching over and over. I really dug the love story. I thought it was more than adequate and the acting was great. I don't understand the "wooden" acting some of the critics say. Hayden is unbelievable, and Natalie is great. I think they actually save some of the dialogue with their delivery.

Coruscant chase is as good as people have been saying. Zam looks hot, there is lots of suspense, I loved it. On Naboo, Padme and Anakin's back and forth works well.

Meanwhile, on Kamino, Obi-wan meeting Jango is all that you can hope for. Two bada*#es sizing each other up, with Boba looking on and scowling. Ewan has Obi-wan down so well. Their fight on Kamino is good but I wish it was longer. I wish that about every action sequence in the movie besides the Coruscant chase though.

When Anakin and Padme go to Tatooine, they start to bond more, as Padme really connects to the loss that Anakin has. When Anakin finds his mother in the Tusken camp and she dies, I was getting angry before he did. I wanted to kill the Tuskens at that moment. Anakin pulls off the transformation from sadness to rage well.

When Anakin confesses to Padme, she doesn't outright approve of what he did, she just tries to comfort him, something that most of us would do in her place I feel.

Christopher Lee is perfect as Dooku, and when he makes his entrance into the film you feel it. His revelation to Obi-wan about Sidious leading the senate is tremendous.

The Genosian battle is well done, and you truly feel like Star WARS. Jango dies very quickly though. The fetts don't seem to do so well in SW. C3PO humor is great during the battle, but a couple of his lines miss their mark.

The final duel could have been longer too, but with the Sith being Christopher Lee, the battle may have come off as boring if it was the length of ROTJ or ESB duel. There is only one darth maul.

Yoda does steal the show. I knew it was coming and I was still grinning from ear to ear. When he gets back on his cane after the fight, you can't help but laugh. It ties in perfectly with how he toys with Luke in ESB.

Okay here's the problems in the film: First of all I'll say again, it's not the romance. And it's not Jar Jar either. You DO miss the cut scenes. I almost wish I wasn't spoiled. The scene I miss the most was the Trial scene with Dooku and Padme verbally sparring, and Dooku's great line to Anakin. I also miss the Padme family scenes, but not as much. You are left feeling like you want to KNOW this girl, know everything about her, and the family scene would help out big time. The other scene I missed was Jar Jar saying in the meeting w/ Palpatine, Mad Amedda, etc. that he would step up and give Palpatine powers. I think that would have made the senate scene you see in the movie more powerful. The only other thing that bothered me was that GL had a lot of stuff to do in this movie and the scenes all seemed a bit too quick. It's a very fast paced movie. Regardless, I loved it and need to see it a few more times, but my ranking right now is

AOTC-ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ

TPM.

19. sinsation

sinsation Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2000
    It was so good...so, so good. There was no lull like in the middle of TPM.

The acting was fine, with very little that stuck out as poor (cough*Shmi*cough*CaptainTypho*cough). Of course it was hard to pay attention to the action considering the brilliance of the visuals.

DLP is the future and the future is now.

Seeing this film in DLP is an experience in itself, and I strongly recommend seeing it that way if you have any means of doing so. The lights and signs in Coruscant were beyond vivid. No cigarette burns, no specks, no lines, just pure bright color. I'm still in shock. I'm not going to give it a chance to sink in yet though...I'm going to see it again, in DLP, in about 9 hours. :D Eventually I'll see it on film, just as a basis for comparison. I'm sure the DVD fans will be VERY happy with this movie.

I have no idea what the digital exclusive scene was...does anyone know yet?

Jango Fett was GREAT... the bit where he killed the Jedi that was about to get Dooku and then twirled his blaster before holstering it was very funny. Boba Fett was surprisingly fun to watch as well. Like my wife said, "that's a mean looking little boy". He's certainly not Jake Lloyd. :D

OMG Sonic Mines!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm on overload. I don't know how I'll sleep, but I have to.

Star Wars is so ******* back. Thank you George Lucas.

20. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I just got back from the midnight screening here in Philly.

And well... what can I say. It was so different from all the other SW films. Yet so much like all the other SW films.

My senses were overloaded.

I thought Anakin did a great job. I mean, a great great job. He did some damn good acting here. As did Padme. They had chemistry. Especially the love pledge at the arena.

Yoda kicked ass. The duel was very sweet. I only wish it was longer. But that's what the DVD is for.

But I don't know yet where I stand for this film. I loved it. It was grand. But mind you, I also loved TPM. And I am now deciding which one I loved better.

I like the story in AOTC much, much better and I love that dark edge it has as well as the action and tension. But I like the light hearted spirit of TPM and sense of adventure.

I can't decide!

I love them both. But I will have to see AOTC one more time before coming to my desicion. I can't stop thinking about it.

It was just... awsome.

I give it 4 stars out of 4.

All I know is that I liked it better than ESB and ROTJ. ANH is still my favorite.

Now, which will get second place. TPM or AOTC? I have to wait and see.

My only gripes about the film:

- I wish the huge ground battle was longer.

- I wish they used music in the asteroid chase. It was very sweet. But music was needed.

- I didn't want it to end. It was long as heck, but I didn't want it to end.

But I do know this. Great story, great acting.

Hayden owns that role. The expression on his face when his mother dies and goes nuts.

And when he reveals to Padme what he did. Very powerfult stuff.

Those two scenes were some of the most emotional scenes in SW... ever!

Man, now I can't wait for the DVD and see the deleted scenes and with luck, the longer version.

What a rush!

21. JediRaanic

JediRaanic Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2001
    HOLY HOLY WOW!!!!!!! I oved this movie!!!!!! It was beyond words how much I loved it!!!! Soooooooooooooooooo many great scenes, too many to list.....Jar Jar was tollerable, where was the Senatorial talk? F/X were mindblowing!!!!! Yoda fight..........I was hyperventalating...everyone in the theater loved it!!! Acting was awsome!! Loved it!!

It gets 5 "Holy Craps" out of 5!!

22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Well, this is my first foray into this here forum, as I am the non-spoiled type, and I haven't read any of this thread, as it's 3:30 in the morning, but here I go:

Amazing. So very, very Amazing. For a while I was very worried that it was going to disappoint, but after reading some overwhelmingly positive fan reactions I began to get excited. I wasn't even supposed to see it tonight, but I did, and I am so incredibly happy. I really have nothing of substance to say about the movie. I just wanted to let those of you who may value my opinion (cough) to know how great it was. I can't wait till Friday night when I see it again, in digital. Very exciting. Oh man, it was so great. I still can't believe it.

Ok, my rambling ends now. So great.

Amazing.

23. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    Well for me I liked TPM and I loved AOTC. Actually AOTC makes TPM understandable to a lot of people now. EIII will further it in my opinion.

Now my thoughts on this movie.

1.I have to eat TON OF CROW!!!! Count Dooku aka Darth Tyranus IS THE ****!!! Boy was I wrong thinking an older guy couldn't be a bad ass. The way he was taunting Obi Wan. The way he just calmly turned and looked at Obi Wan and Anakin as they came in the hanger with sabers ignited stuck out in my mind. The way he was toying with Obi Wan kinda hurt my feelings. Obi is my favorite character.

2.Yoda is INDEED THE MASTER!!! I can't describe how George Lucas made me feel this morning. I just can't put my feelings into words. To me the force & saber battles between Dooku and Yoda is what Star Wars IS ALL ABOUT!!!

3.Mace Windu!!!!!! Da Man!!!! When Mace's feet were shown walking into the arena everyone in the theatre said UH OH!!!! Poor Jango, when he got decapitated the entire audience seemed like they were in shock. It was so quiet in the theatre.

4.Hayden Christensen did a terrific job as Anakin. The moment he started challenging Obi Wan in his 2nd scene I knew Lucas scored right with him.

5.Ewan was super as Obi Wan!!!!!

The entire movie was awesome in my opinion. The one thing I could have done with out was the 3PO humor. I thought that was a little over the top. I wish Mace and Jango would have fought longer. I think Jango was done like Darth Maul. Not enough screen time. But I am being greedy here. I wish it could have been explained better how the reek obeyed Anakin. People didn't understand he was using the force to calm it. The love story went over very well with me, and the Sandpeople slaughter went over well with me to. And I have mixed feelings about it because if that was my mother I probably would have done the same thing. I was very pleased with AOTC!!!

If any LOTR, Matrix, or Spidey fan bashes this film it's only done out of jealousy. I liked LOTR, and Spidey. But in all honesty and without bias SW is still king.

24. dash101

dash101 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    ... this is why I love the JC..

:D
    -dash101

25. civil_dissident

civil_dissident Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    How about JESUS H. CHRIST this movie rocked!!!!!!!We all know why, the Tusken scene (off their heads! I love how you could actually see the heads roll off), YODA!, Anakin/Padme's first kiss, the clones kicked ass, and so did Mace, I thought Jango went out like a puss though.

I want to see it again, now.

Anyway, did any of you feel like the only person in the theater that was getting all the inside jokes?

I sure did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.