main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Official Games Night Mondays Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by fingthething, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    No, he's not kidding... I leveled them up (it was a pretty big adventure), and i gave them their choice of weapons. (heck if you want you can take their weapons away next adventure... It's not like he is that proficient with it...)

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, it really isn't fair of me to just simply "take them away" as that isn't what roleplaying is all about. We are supposed to be having fun, and it isn't fun for characters to be given something ultra cool one week, and then have it taken away the next, even if it is totally unbalancing to the game... that is a situation you try and avoid as a GM, just like it says in the book, both when you are creating and running your adventures. Every action has a concequence, whether it be good or bad.

I know that we aren't going to play these characters forever, so the impact on the further roleplaying adventures is minimal at best. But this is a situation that we must avoid in the future.

That being said, can everybody please post what level they are, what weapon they have, and what their attack and defense numbers are, with all bonuses? (14 attack +4). That way I can rework my adventure to compensate.

Thanks!!!

Indy

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Galak (human soldier)

Heavy Blaster Rifle +6 attack
    Damage: 3d8
    Range: 15 spaces

Melee weapon
    Vibro-ax +4
    Damage: 2d10

Defense is still at 17

4. JawaGirl

JawaGirl Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2002
    I'll post my stats once I grab my sheet from Danny's place :D

JawaGirl :)

5. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Sia-Lan Wezz (Human Jedi Guardian)

Double-bladed Lightsaber (+5 Attack)
    (Melee Weapon)
    Damage: 2d8/2d8

Lightsaber (+5 Attack)
    (Melee Weapon)
    Damage: 2d8

Defense: still 16 (believed to have gone up with the last level advancement but unsure...)

Level: 4
    Experience Points: 6667

6. Tohrgan_Fex

Tohrgan_Fex Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2002
    To avoid issues like this, each new GM generally gets the players to cook up a new batch of characters for their game.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but, for the GM anyways, no monkey-wrenches get thrown into anyones' plans. There's nothing worse for a GM than to put in hours of work on a game and find out that a bunch of stuff needs changing. With a level-based game, a GM has to design an adventure to the characters level. The farther the characters advance beyond the original GM's plot and concept, the more difficult it is to adjust it to the new party level and location.

Example: The party is on Coruscant and the story is leading up to something--the climax of the adventure. One day the GM can't make it and someone else takes over the party. The new GM takes the characters to Tatooine on a different adventure, not knowing where the first GM was going (as the new GM is a player...why ruin the surprises?). The first GM comes back with the party on Tatooine, far from the galactic centre and his climatic scenes, and has to try and pick up the pieces. Does he try and steer the characters back, or abandon his original idea and preparation; starting from scratch?

Another problem that would come up was fairness in dealing with the GM's own characters. That is, someone plays a character and then GMs a game with that same character in it. This has caused nothing but cause grief. Does the character get the same experience as everyone, even though the same effort wouldn't be there (you can't properly play and GM at the same time)? How much of the adventure was planned around the character or getting stuff for the character? I've found through experience that conflict of interest happens when a GM GM's his/her own character.

If the character is just "gone", then they miss out on experience. When the other GM comes back, they are behind the party. Is that fair either? The player DID put in a lot of effort, it was just behind the scenes.

Again, my advice is this: it's better all around to have different characters for every different GM.

(Sorry for being so wordy. I feel impotent sitting here in Grande Prairie while some wonderful gaming is going on hours away! Argh!)

7. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Hmm... You know it isn't really that big of an issue, I mean the lightsaber itself isn' the most effective weapon, having two blades just evens it up with the other weapons, he wasn't doing much better than those who had stuck with their original weapon.

Also, I did read the section on GMing in the rulebook, and I felt that this wasnt going to unbalance the game. I gave everyone their choice of weapons, and most of them chose not to pick a weapon... Also about taking weapons away, it isn't quite as posh as you might think, hey even nowadays you will get weapons taken away before you step on a transport, and you may never get them back...

Anyway on another point, John are you able to give me a ride tonight? Please PM me about this matter.

8. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    Double-bladed lightsabers work like normal lightsabers if you choose to attack only once per round with them. If you decide to attack more than once, you start getting negatives. In this way they are, in fact, balanced.

The best you can get with them is an extra attack at your highest attack bonus, but that and every other attack is at -2. For example, say Darth Haggis' character has a base attack of +4, Strength modifier of +1, the Ambidexterity feat and the Two-Weapon fighting feat. He could make one attack at +5 (as normal) or two attacks at +3/+3. If he only had the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, he could attack twice at +3/-1. If he had only the Ambidexterity feat, he would attack twice at +1/+1.

The rules for this is on page 156 in the Revised book, or page 138 in the Original rules. Keep in mind that, for a double-bladed lightsaber, the off-hand weapon is considered "light".

That is the benefit of having a double-bladed lightsaber over two separate lightsabers. With two separate lightsabers at the same time (both "medium" weapons), the off-hand weapon is NOT considered "light", and therefore incurs more penalties.

Edit: The lightsaber may not seem like much at first, but in the hands of a trained Jedi it becomes among the most powerful weapon in the game. What other weapon can have 6d8 (or in some cases 7d8) base damage, can allow the user to increase his or her defence, and give a good chance at deflecting energy bolts back at the attacker?

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    sorry, no rides tonight... :(

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    still on my way... no pizza for me

11. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Not to many of us last night. But we had fun. After you left Alex, I GMed a game. Which they still did'nt finish. GMing is fun, I might have to make a few adventures myself ;)

Next games night is Monday the 28th, who's comin?

12. JawaGirl

JawaGirl Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2002
    I am!

JawaGirl :)

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
  14. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    So, John, about a ride tonight.. Can you PM me?

I'll be there tonight Danny... How about you Terry, are you gonna bring those girl guide cookies :).

15. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Unfortunate no show. Too many errand to have to run before I leave. :(

16. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I actually have a dinner party to go to but I will stop by on my way and drop off the cookies. I'll be glad to see the end of them,you have no idea how hard it is to have that many cookies sitting there. :)

17. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    A few people showed up anyways to this last games night. Alex made an adventure....on the spot(No pun intended ;) ) and that seemed to drag on for a while as John and Alex were yelling back and forth about having to go through a meeting room to get into a hospital or something [face_plain]

But anyways, John has finished his adventure after many hard hours. So just to let everyone know, next week we will be playing Johns adventure that he has be making for a few weeks. And a few games of epic duels (Come a bit late Tavia, you won't have to play ;) )

Next games night is Monday the 5th, who's comin?

18. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    I think I'll be there! Seriously!

So, can I make a character? If so, what level can I make it? What class is everyone else? Is there a character type that the party needs? I'll play anything.

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I think we should start on our characters on the next games night (not this one coming up). I already have a few ideas depending on what era we choose. Actually I have a character for every era.
    I also bought the revised core rulebook today and I'm going to start reading it as soon as I'm done Force Heretic II (also got today)

20. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
  21. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    That's too bad Alex :(

22. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Tohrgan_Fex could aways take over my character, Sia-Lan Wezz, considering I'll be gone. :( It at least gives him the chance to come in with a character which is near everyone else's experience.

23. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    That could work...

That's too bad you can't come Alex... sounds like it is going to be a big night... [face_plain]

I am really looking forward to starting characters too Berx... :)

Indy

24. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    I can take over the Jedi Guardian from Steve (thanks for her current stats). It is also easy enough to create one at 4th level.

Either way is good!

Edit:
    Indy, it sounds like you have a game that you've prepared. Do you think it'll span one night or more? Are you going to want to continue with your campaign, or is everyone going to make characters for me to GM? I'm okay what ever you folks decide.

Like I said, I plan on coming to Danny's on Monday. I'm officially in town now. If anyone wants to meet over coffee before Monday, whether its to allow me to get to know people before I show up to Danny's place--or if people want to discuss character ideas for the game--I'm ALL up for it!

Bad: TELUS told me that I could have DSL starting today, but then left me a message saying that they wouldn't be able to set it up until next Wednesday! That bites! I wonder if that means I have to put up with 5 hours dial-up until then...

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm sure you can just drop in at Danny's. It's a pretty casual atmosphere there. We're all looking forward to meeting you and having the input of a veteran. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.