main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Official Games Night Mondays Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by fingthething, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tohrgan_Fex

Tohrgan_Fex Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2002
    Not many responses...

I'm free on Wednesday also. Did you want to have our first game on Wednesday? That'll give the people that couldn't make last Monday a chance this Monday to make characters (and tell me what skills they are taking).

Oh! Something that I forgot about: languages. For every +1 modifier to Intelligence, the characters can choose to Speak a language. For example, someone with 16 Intelligence (a +3 modifier), can speak 3 languages in addition to their starting languages (which is often Basic and one other language if they are alien).

You can choose to be able to Read/Write a language instead of Speaking it.

2. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Umm... I am sorry, but honestly, I can not take much more of this... Who do you think you are?

First you try and rearrange our games night to Saturday afternoon, because it isn't 'convienient' for you to go on Monday's because of your job. Then you have the nerve to go and cancel it because few people would be willing to show up. Now you try to rearrange it for Wednesday, and tell us that we can spend ANOTHER games night creating characters.

Come on, no offense but I think you are being just a little bit controlling, you just got here and allready you are changing our scedules... There WAS a reason we picked Monday nights. We picked it because that was the easiest day for all of us to go out on.

I saw this before you got here to. We aren't an RPG group, we never will be. This is just a game we are trying out and having a little bit of fun with. Some of us don't even like the RPG (not me but others), and we aren't going to start excluding them. Personally I think that maybe, just maybe, you should try to conform for a little while before you try to change the whole group to "Edmontooine, The RPG Sector". Accept what we do, and join in, but don't change us.

I apologize if this is harsh, and I know I haven't met you face-to-face yet, but I know I will have to deal with you some day. I hope you can try to fit in, and I also hope that we don't develop any negitive feelings towards each other.

3. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Ya, sorry Troy, I've been away from my comp for a bit.

Well today wasn't a good day anyways because Adams brother is staying with us for the weekend. And Wednesday I work :(

4. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    I like flowers... they are pretty...

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Okay Alex, that was way, WAY, WAY outta line... like big time wrong.

I will respond to a few things you have said, after that, if you want to continue this conversation, it will be done by PRIVATE MESSAGE which is where that post should have gone.

Firstly, I saw nothing saying so, nor did I get the impression that Troy was trying to change our "Games Nights" to saturdays. He simply asked if people were free on saturday if we would want to get together and play, like regular friends would. Nowhere have I seen that games night mondays would be cancelled or changed.

As far as becoming an RPG group, who says that the group of us who "DO" want to play the RPG can't get together on a different night and play, or barring that, who says that we are even trying to be an RPG group? I have stated before, and everybody agreed, that we are not going to exclude somebody simply because they don't play the RPG. We are ALSO not going to exclude somebody because they are super-enthusiastic about playing the RPG. We have dealt with this situation before. To bring it up again is pointless.

As far as Troy offering to play on Saturday, or Wednesday, I see that as making an effort TO conform... he is offering his services as GM to whenever is most convenient to all of us, giving us many options and days. I don't see this as controlling, I see it as somebody being enthusiastic about finally being able to hang out with a bunch of people who have the same interests as he does. Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, if further discussion about this is needed, which I think it is, we will do it via PM or we can use MSN. We have to resolve this, because I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that I don't want another Alex/Steve type war going on at games nights.

Indy

6. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Hear. Hear.

Personnally, I don't think Alex needs any more enemies than he has already created...
    Preventing one more fiasco is advisable.

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I might not be able to make it to this games night ppl. I've got a REALLY bad cold. I guess I'll see how I feel Monday :(

8. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    Edit: I'm sorry, John, but I feel I need to say this publicly. After this, I will confine all comments to PMs.

Alex:

Obviously you have some misconceptions about what's going on with this RPG thing. You seem to be lashing out, and I have no idea why. Perhaps if I tell you the way that I regard the situation, we'll understand each other better.

I've been waiting to meet you guys since November. During one of the posts (I can't remember which one) the RPG was brought up. I have a lot of experience playing this, and I offered to GM, because there seemed to be ample enthusiasm in the group. In fact, many people went out and not only bought the Core Rulebook (a $50+ book!) but were SO interested in trying it out that they bought the "starter" game--Invasion of Theed. There is a lot of interest in getting the game going. This much is very clear.

We agreed that Monday would be the first actual game (apart from character building). Since I couldn't make it this Monday, I was suggesting a different day in order to not rob people of a chance to play. Would it have been better, in your opinion, to say, "I can't make it this Monday; the characters you made last Monday will have to be played some other Monday--in the future--who knows when"? Would that have been convienient for YOU if you had just spent hours making a character you were itching to play? Please be reasonable. In fact, the ONLY night this week that I DON'T work is Wednesday...that is why I suggested it. I'm giving up my ONLY free night to play. If I'm being "controlling" and this is not acceptable or appropriate, I'm sure my wife would love the company.

Do you even know what is involved in GM'ing? The RPG isn't Epic Duels with your own deck of cards. It is a complex and imagination-intensive, creative storytelling game where the players and the GM works together to craft a epic tale centered around the players' characters--staged in the grand Star Wars galaxy. It's a stage beyond any sit-down, interactive game ever devised. In that, it takes A LOT of effort to plan and design a campaign to play. It's part WORK. I spend hours making adventures, and it isn't always fun. Everyone else gets to come along on game night with their dice and paper to play. I'm the only one that really has to do game "homework". If I were to suggest that the people interested in playing should at LEAST have their character completed before we play, I think I'm being FAIR. If you (or anyone else) wishes to wait to make their character until a day we are going to play the RPG, by all means, wait. Obviously, a person without a character (or an unfinished character) won't be able to play. You may have to wait until the following game to start playing, as the other players and I won't have the time to help. In that way, suggesting making a character earlier was in YOUR benefit...as you'd be able to jump right into the game.

I think your personal comments are unfounded as well. I'm not here to change the group. If you were here, and met me, you would have seen that it is not the case. We played some games of Epic Duels before we even mentioned the RPG. It was one of the "regular" members that brought it up!

I was trying to accommodate the group, just as Indy said. I was not trying to fit the groups' lives to my schedule.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to private message me.

~Troy

9. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Well, on a different note...

I won't be able to make it this Monday (or any Monday until September) seeing as how I am currently in the Yukon.
    Enjoy, and have an awesome night.

10. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, I guess I'm another one who isn't going to be comming to Games Night anytime soon (no real suprise) :) Between scheduling difficulties and lack of intrest in general I'm just not up to it right now. I'll still be around on the board and stuff.

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm still not feeling to good but I'm gonna try and make it tomorrow. Haven't missed a games night yet ;)

12. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    CHANGE OF PLANS

Being that we're not going to have much of a turn out for this games night, and we really can't play the RPG because not everyone has a character ready. John, Mindy and i thought that it would be a good idea to go Mini golfing at the glow-in-the-dark place. We have LOTS of two for one passes, so it will only cost like $4-4.50 to play.

That being said, lets say we meet in front of the mini golf place at 7:00PM. If you guys don't know where that is, its up the top floor up by Reds.

See you there :)

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well, I guess I'm out. Thanks

14. JawaGirl

JawaGirl Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2002
    Not sure about everyone else but...

Next Monday the 19th is Victoria Day.
    I will most likely be heading out of town for the weekend and will not be able to attend.

JawaGirl :)

15. astrozombie

astrozombie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2002
    ...this would be a good time to mention my upcoming trip to Australia. I'm leaving next Monday and coming back late July/August. This doesn't help much in the RPG-ing crowd department, I know, but have all the fun I hoped to have...without me!

Ooo! And if anyone has obscure information about Star Wars filming action down there, I'd love to know!

ta-ta

16. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    I was hoping to meet you! Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait. Have a good trip!

17. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Good luck in Australia, Tav. We'll all miss you.

18. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well, seeing as summer's approaching and most people are going to be busy why don't we cut down games night to maybe twice a month instead? Just until September when everyone's back to being cooped up in their houses again

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Games Night? anyone?

I'd host but we're renovating here, and no one knows where I live

20. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    I'm out of town and won't make it. :(

21. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Heh, what a coincidence. So am I! ;)

22. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    Games night is Cancelled this Monday due to the lack of people. :(

Sorry to all that were looking forward to it.

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Didn't think so... Ah well, maybe next week (hint, hint)

24. Tohrgan_Fex

Nov 27, 2002
    I *should* be able to make next week. :)

25. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, as im sure you've all seen, certain issues have come up about games night Mondays. And how we may have to start themeing them to include EVERYONE. So what would you like to see be played next Monday?

A) RPG

B) Epic Duels

C) Crainium

D) StarWars trivial pursiut

E) Something not in this list

F) A combination of any of the above.

Indy and I would like to see as many people show up at games nights as possible, so its important to us to hear what you want to do. Only together can we make games nights flourish as they once did. :)

Next games night is Monday the 26th, who's comin?

And what are we doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.