main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official General Grievous Fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darth_nemisis, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    He did willing submit to it after San Hill essentially told him there was no going back to Kalee and that he would die dishonorably...but when Qymaen still refused, Hill pushes a button and does something to him that hurts him(not sure what that is), then he submits completely.

But I thought I read in my ROTS Visual Guide that he also would agree...if they didn't alter his mind in any way(which they obviously did), so I wonder if he supposedly chose to be re-programmed if it was a mind alteration alluding to that and he just assumes that he agreed to it...I don't know, all I know now is Filoni has taken a different twist to it and everything that I know of the original backstory and this one can work.

2. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Well, good job destroying my theory with facts :p

Just knowing the original backstory of Qymaen, I find it pretty hard to believe that he could be coerced via pain or threats, especially given his physical and mental state after the shuttle crash ("Twenty-three of your twenty-four ribs are broken, buddy! Bow to me, or I'll break the last one!! I bet you're scared now!!"). Likewise, what's the point of reprogramming him if he remembers that they did it? Like most of the EU, it may be canon but it doesn't mean I have to swallow it.

Thanks for the info though, Ludo.

3. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Sorry...:p

I'm just going by my interpretation by what was in 'Eyes of Revolution' when San Hill laid out for him what he would be doing with the changes they proposed and Grievous said he didn't care about that and Hill pushed a button and caused him pain...then they go to a panel with Poggel and Dooku and Poggel says that the 'General' agreed to the proposal, but Dooku said that his agreement was shallow and that he needed more convincing(whatever that means...and then there is the whole 'Grievous was transfused with Sifo-Dyas' blood to supposedly give him limited Force ability' which failed, causing Grievous to perhaps in some way self loathe his new self and maybe try to prove himself better than Jedi without having Force abilities...arggh, the possibilities seem endless and it makes my head spin sometimes8-} )

Anyway, I'd just stick with what you believe is the right story. Besides, quite frankly I wish they would use your story as the backstory since yours is so full of detail.

4. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    My emo Grievous theory;

Grievous was vain, but also hated looking like a certain family member. Cut cut cut! The shuttle crash provided a certain opportunity to try and erase certain features. Or maybe Grievous had certain "unwanted organs" and wanted to change that. Yes, that theory again.

By the way, I changed my signature in honour of Grievous. It's an inside joke. I changed a certain name to Utaj to make the lyrics fit, but can you name the song?

5. Catgirl_from_Eoz

Catgirl_from_Eoz Jedi Master star 3

Jun 5, 2005
    "We wish you a Merry Christmas, We wish you a Merry Christmas,

We wish you a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!"

:) :) :) :) :)

[:D] Wishing Pleasant Holidays to all you GG Members out there! [:D]

**puts Santa cap on Grievous' head** You too, General! [face_batting] :D

6. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Grievous probably doesn't celebrate Christmas, 'cause he's a Kaleesh Animist. Actually, I think he still gets a mouldy sandwich from The Walrus (koo koo koo choo!)

I get a white Christmas this year. I'm an Udinist. Clapping for snow works? Grievous could win an internet argument about the existence of The Walrus with his mad tactical skills.

Grievous doesn't want to be caught wearing a holiday sweater from Grandma, does he?

I found this picture on another thread. I wonder what the original context was...

[image=http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l201/Lestat020/Photo22-1.jpg]

7. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Merry Christmas, my fellow Grievophiles!:D [face_dancing] I hope Grievous got what he wanted for Christmas...otherwise he'll go to the North Pole and split Santa in two!:p

But sadly, no Santa Grievous icon this year...:(

8. IronGoldie

IronGoldie Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    I bet Grievous is sitting in his castle today watching Die Hard or something.

[image=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/IRONGOLDIE/diehard.gif]

If he isn't, he should be.

Merry Christmas guys.

9. Grievous_forever

Grievous_forever Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2007
    I Love A-4D

sniff he was the only one that called Grievous Master sniff:_|

1. Is Hasbro making a A-4D figure? please say yes!

2. Did Grievous repair him?

Favorite quote from the show

Get Him Master Kill Him :_| RIP A-4D

10. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes, A-4D had a sassy attitude toward Grievous' numerous injuries and the fact he/she? would have to repair them....and I thought it was somewhat creepy that a med droid was cheering Grievous on in killing the Jedi....I guess med droids don't have to abide by the Hippocratic oath.:p

11. Catgirl_from_Eoz

Jun 5, 2005
  12. GENERAL-OF-KALEE

GENERAL-OF-KALEE Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2006
  13. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't suppose many of you have seen the Padme/Grievous thread in Clone Wars discussion?

XP

14. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    I have! :D

15. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    :(

16. Catgirl_from_Eoz

Jun 5, 2005
    Wonderful...So now George and crew went along with the idea of molding a perfectly developed character, with intriguing depth to his person and background already well established, into a shallow archetype of a villain, who is a real badaßß jerk just because he feels like playing the boss in the Galaxy!! For Pete's sake...WHERE'S the valid reason behind his decision?! Where's the explanation to his yearning for all that power, if we are prompted to remain bound to this new version of Grievous?! Vanity? Jealousy? P-LEASE!! To me, it feels totally as if the character's authenticity had been blown to the wind...

Call me a fanatic who is a sucker for twisted and dramatic tales with enough complexity to it which may actually provide it with seriousness...But General Grievous' very name pronounces a kind of darkness that barely leaves room for fun.

Okay, so we might as well entertain the thought of poking fun at him, I'm not saying I'm against that! :p But man, that reasoning above provided by the "brains" seems awfully poor to me. :( Lucas' decision doesn't seem to make sense. I understand the fact that the animated series is for kids and it probably seemed wise to alter the character's core accordingly and believe me when I say I'm *not* considering the pleasant merriment of laughter as detestable, quite on the contrary!! ... But if he's planning to maintain Grievous' new persona on a permanent basis, and even worse, as *canon*...I'm afraid my respect for the ol' Master just plunged into the deep. [face_plain] And not merely because of me being a GG fan...but because of the sad plot-choice altogether. Such a change isn't something I would view as development...but rather as unfortunate regression.

As one of my dearest mates up here would say... **behold the power of headdesk**

Seems like the overwhelming desire for entertaiment and publicity finally spawned effect... [face_talk_hand]

The original Star Wars I grew to love wasn't based on comedy... [face_worried] Nor on such shallow characters. >.< And don't anybody come to me with the story of a baddie being bad just because he's bad and nothing further is a good solution in a saga such as this one...EVERY notable villain had a hard core REASON to be bad da** it!! A mass murderer isn't born that way...but "created", usually by his immediate environment, or deeply rooted traumas he had suffered. It's plain simple psychology. Thus, the only REAL Grievous I'll ever be able to relate to is the one with a serious, and most likely tragic past, dotted with hardships. Either with Dooku's collaboration or without it.

~Rambling Over~ (( :mad: ))

17. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Agreed. It seems kind of silly that Lucas and co. would ever even consider the possiblity of making Grievous a 'fun' character, seeing as his very name is a contradiction of this new backstory. What a shame... :(

18. karabbackilla

karabbackilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    I thought that Dave Filoni said that he wanted to keep the whole backstory thing vague so that fans of the old one could be satisfied while fans of the new could also be the same? Guess that all went to hell in a handbasket eh? So this is the absolute gospel now hmm?

Well not in my book. Personally I have respect for the umpteen million sources that quote the original backstory. And the authors who wrote them. Why do I have the strange feeling that Lucas cronies are out there scouring the net reading the comments of all us 'kooky' upset Grievous fans, wringing their hands together and saying' excellllent' ala Mr. Burns? Son of a bitch, it really feels that way sometimes. Call me a conspiracy theorist. Grievous simply cannot have a more interesting/ tragic history than Anakin. Period. Making him a simple mass murderer makes him so much more interesting? Ah, no. What reason does he have to be so frikken angry for then? Nothing?? His name should be changed too. Grievous means that he GRIEVES for gods sake. Totally twisted hellspawn such as him shouldn't grieve. Change it to General Bloodletter or General Soulless or better yet General Satan. Yeah, I think that's the one..

Oh, and beat it Ronderu, looks like you never even existed.. :(

19. karabbackilla

karabbackilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    Dave: I tried to talk about this in the commentary I do online. Henry and I knew this would be a big one for EU fans. I tend to think of the Episode ?Lair of Grievous? as a look more into the mind of Grievous. How you interpret the story depends largely on what backstory you like. If you believe Grievous was shot down in a shuttle by Dooku and put back together, I think that story is there, it?s just that Grievous has invented this new ?story? of choosing his alterations. If you don?t believe in the EU version of the story or didn?t like it, then perhaps this new revelation that Grievous was a warrior whose lust for power made him choose to be altered, suits you better. Again a great many of the truths we cling to depend largely on our own point of view. Grievous was a great warrior in both stories, he was a Kaleesh in both stories, the major differences depend on what you believe about his past. In the end I have to say this, many die hard EU fans pick and choose the stories they think are canon based on what they like and what they don?t like. They read a novel they like it and it?s ?in?, they don?t like it, and it?s ?out.? Well, we get our like and dislike in the EU directly from George and he created Star Wars, I have to say that?s a pretty big trump card. Regardless, much effort goes into trying to word things or shoot things so that the existing EU can remain, if only at times from a certain point of view.

Ok, Dave, I feel A LITTLE better....

20. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I recently emailed Matthew Wood about songs that pertained to Grievous in some manner.

Slightly better than aggravating about the backstory thing. I hope the EU doesn't change its stance on Grievous.

I wonder if young Qymaen had body dysmorphic disorder and lost his pretty singing voice to the ravages of war ("No more sitar serenades for you, young cockatrice!") and lost that soprano leading role in the Palendre Opera Haus. Now he's emo, like a Clockwork wool penguin, yes. What if Ronderu was a robot in disguise and merely went to the meat freezer? Silly, I know. Some source stated that Grievous started learning about droids from the IBC. He could have learned earlier, with heartbreaking results.

"Nooooo! Say it isn't so! Why are you so WARM?"

21. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I just can't get over how hilariously incompatible those two statements are, and they were in the same paragraph.

I'm picturing Mr. Rogers here, wearing the Grievous mask:

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] We're having a blast now! Kids, can you say "murder"? [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

That was my reaction when I first saw Vader in ANH. "Now that guy knows how to throw a mean party." Who comes up with this stuff?

22. IronGoldie

IronGoldie Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    "Grievous is not a tragic character, he?s a cold blooded mass murderer, a classic old school villain (and different from Vader) in that he doesn?t have any redeeming characteristics."

This whole comment right here just made me feel like this:

[image=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/IRONGOLDIE/1186195572231.gif]

23. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    Oh, no. You guys aren't having any nerd rage without me. **Points to Catgirl** Especially you, meine kleiner Edelweiß... [face_batting]

Why is General Grievous' story turning into Boba Fett's in the 90's before the retcon? Seriously. The Jaster Mareel story conflicting with being Jango's clone was confusing enough. Now we have to deal with this all over again for Grievous' story? :oops: I also seem to remember when "a certain point of view" didn't mean hitting fans over the head with a 2x4. :mad:

We already had to deal with Lucas killing everyone's buzz after the Clone Wars cartoon. Is it too much to ask that the developers stop whaling on a character with good potential?

EDIT: Somebody else needs to write Star Wars, similarly as to how someone else got onboard for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, because it's creator can't. New Rule: You can't write Star Wars if your name is George Lucas, Dave Filoni, or Christopher Paolini. O:)

[]=====#[]<---------------- M_N! ----------------

24. GENERAL-OF-KALEE

GENERAL-OF-KALEE Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2006
    I agree with you completely, my friend :). A character?s development down this path of behaviour is in my opinion [face_peace], what makes that character interesting.

I don?t know :( with what?s been said here, it seems that Grievous has been given very little attention at all, despite a complete episode centred around him and (unlike the film) numerous appearances in the clone wars TV series (which has been pleasing to see).

When you look at the various fan fictions out there for the General (including your interpretation of the character, Mortimer :) not mention your own interpretation, Exeter :D) and what these ideas of Grievous? motivations, which have gone far beyond the thought that he?s just evil, has had on the imagination of the writers involved, you can really see that this character has more than enough potential to be even more a memorable villain?.I think Grievous deserves that complexity and development which so sadly seems to be at the back of the minds of his creators :(

25. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    The big problem I saw with Episodes II and III and a portion of the Clone Wars EU was that the Republic and the CIS were painted white and black respectively. Especially in the case of the former, there is a dehumanizing lack of character exposition on the antagonistic side, regardless if they use an army of mechanical men without feelings. The creators, I think, want to force the viewer into the mindset that the Republic is good and the CIS is evil beyond all shadow of a doubt. The thing is, though, it's not true. The Clone Wars was extremely grey. The Republic wasn't perfect with the corpulent officials and the arrogant Jedi not doing their jobs, and the CIS being run by a Sith Lord dictator, a brutal military commander, and a board of greedy corporate heads wasn't much better. Often times when you have to chose a side in a conflict like this, you're going to have to work with people that you don't necessarily like.

General Grievous, of course, is no exception to this fundamental truth. I would have much liked to see something along the lines of, "Hello, my name is General Grievous. You ruined my home planet. Prepare to die! Hello, my name is General Grievous. You destroyed my body. Prepare to die! Hello, my name is General Grievous. You killed my Roggwart. Prepare to die!" [face_devil]

General Grievous has to be one of the grayest characters out there. Yes, he is against the central protagonists, but he thinks that he is doing what he is doing for a good reason. Technically, if you think about it, everyone is a protagonist. The Jedi put sanctions on his already famished homeworld after the Yam'rii sacked it and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. It's not what you would call fair considering that the Yam'rii coveted the Kaleesh for slaves and the Jedi are supposedly the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy. What would you have done? Were I in Grievous shoes, I would snap and hit the Jedi back too. From his point of view, the Jedi deserved being killed by their own swords, shot in duels, or blown up in space. Grievous is a warrior; so, in the interest of vindicating himself, his natural response would be to hurt the Jedi like they hurt him. Grievous also doesn't like the Nute Gunray and co. and their constant whining about money, that of course being unimportant to an honor-bound warrior. But, it's not like the general had much of a choice. After all, from his perspective, the CIS saved his life after the shuttle crash.

[]=====#[]<---------------- M_N! ----------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.