main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official * General Grievous in TCW Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheTelmarine, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronderu_lij_Kumar

Ronderu_lij_Kumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2009
    I couldn't agree more ;)

Bring on my man Grievous!

2. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ffpBlLVAw

:eek: Best. Grievous. EVER! =P~

3. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Wow. Yeah. I'm not the biggest GG fan ever, but this... nice.

4. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    I did some scans from the Art of Clone Wars book and I thought you'd enjoy these:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/eleganceliberty/artofclonewars/025.jpg]

That top one is gorgeous.

5. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    That one is nice.

Can you do a scan of the clone renderings that are in the book?

6. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Heck yes! You can see elements of his microseries and ROTS styles brought together. DEFINITELY awesome. ^_^

7. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    I'm not going to watch these trailers because I don't want anything spoiled, but I will say that what I really liked about Grievous in "Lair of Grievous" is how mid-battle with Vebb and Fisto he folded out his 2 extra arms and started spinning those sabers above his head quickly in a 360 degree motion then brought them down to take a swipe at the heads of the Jedi while blocking their sabers with his lower 2 arms. The episode made real good use of how he can use his cybernetics to do 360 degrees spins to block away sabers and attack and enforce how you can't really train to beat him because his cybernetics make him too unpredictable - you simply need to be either a very elite saber user (Yoda, Windu, etc), supreme defense (Obi-Wan) or very solid all-rounder (Fisto) to survive or beat him.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I try not to watch previews, but I'm weak.

Wow, passion, drama, character motivation! Bravo! Encore! [face_love]

9. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    That clip....oh man, I am speechless right now!:eek: :D I can't wait until tonight, this is gonna rock![face_dancing]

10. avatarkenobi

Jan 2, 2010
    I thought in this series grievous has become a stronger character and he has been shown holding his own against Jedi masters in battle. However, the one thing I have noticed in the lightsaber battles is that Grievous seems to be besting the Jedi in combat, but has no defence against the force, in every lightsaber battle he is shown holding his own against the Jedi (e.g Kit Fisto, Eeth Koth and Obi Wan) but always loses when the Jedi use the force, like Eeth Koth and Obi Wan using force push. It seems that the writers are trying to make Grievous seem more plausable as a villian and a bigger threat, just wish we were able to see him finally kill some Jedi! the war was suppose to be devastating to the order, but we've seen one Jedi death so far!

11. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, short of him wearing ysalmiri(sp?) on his cloak, I doubt we'll see he coming up with an adequate defense against the Force, although I imagine his lightening quick reflexes and sheer brute strength could sort of make up for that, not to mention his MangaGuards which he used to great effect in his duels with Obi-Wan and Eeth Koth.

12. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    I liked how the Magna Guard's worked with Grievous when taking on Koth. They took the sides of Koth almost surrounding him while Grievous worked his way down the middle and tried to use a flurry of flashy attacks to push Koth back, and it worked to a degree but Koth being highly skilled started to use the force to his advantage which is something Grievous will never have - then Magna Guards started taking part and hitting Koth from behind the minute Koth had the advantage in the duel, in which he was about to strike Grievous while he was still recovering from the force push.

Similar thing happened with how the Magna Guards all attacked Fisto when he started to overpower Grievous. I basically see Grievous as needing assistance from the Magna Guards when taking on a highly skilled Council Member. I could see a similar scenario with Grievous taking on Mace Windu with the assistance of Magna Guards, but given how much more powerful Windu would be compared to Koth, you'd probably have Grievous and Magna Guards attacking Windu at the SAME time. Would be awesome to see the General face Windu at least once or twice, given how Windu himself said "Grievous will run and hide as he always does...he is a coward" - as if he was also talking from experience.

Nonetheless, with the animation now of Season 2 Grievous looks better than ever.

One thing I always wondered though, in ROTS, he doesn't have that rubber-like covering around his neck, he has the metal struts much like a Tactical Droid has - I'm wondering if ever in the series something perhaps will happen where he might lose that rubber covering. I also wouldn't mind a few more scuffs and scratches and slight dis-colourations on his face plate to give him more of a worn look - which he has in ROTS.

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    First time I'm posting in here.

I really like Grievous. In the Genndy Tartakovsky series and in ROTS.

They simplified design they chose for him in the show also works really well, apart from the unnecessary reduction from four "voice module teeth" to three. Love it whenever he's donning his cape. Especially how it drapes over his extended shoulder plates. Gives you sort of a wirehanger look that adds to the vulture like feel of his design.

What I don't like about his use in TCW, and this goes for a lot of other characters from time to time, is the repetitive and often redundant dialogue he is giving. Basically, it's "I am undefeatable.", "All Jedi must die.", "You are no match for me.", "Fool." or basically just speaking about his next move or how the plot of the show will move along. Yoda is primarily used for this as well. "Go there and do that, we must.", "Victories we must be.", "Lose this and that, we may not." Or Anakin's "We must catch Grievous/ Dooku/ Ventress to end this war."
    All those lines might work for the movies, but hearing them in almost every episode, and we're only a season and a half in, is becoming tiresome.

Grievous' past, training and motivations need to be explored, instead of just mentioned or hinted at to flesh out his character and make him more interested.

14. Ronderu_lij_Kumar

Sep 25, 2009
    All I can say is...

I LOVE GENERAL GRIEVOUS!!!! [face_love]

Sometimes I wish he were real

So do you think he will be in anymore episodes for season 2? I really hope so [face_worried]

15. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    Maybe later in Season 2. Having seen him in these two episodes, I'd like to see him involved in a ground-based battle, ala "Landing at Point Rain" at some point.

I do believe they need to introduce some new Jedi Knights and Padawans at some point in the series and kill them off at various point in the show - some last longer than others, etc. I'd love to see Grievous take on some new Knight/Padawan pairing and take them both down, collect their lightsaber and taunt their Jedi friends when he sees them asking them if they recognize the lightsabers he is carrying....etc.

But i'd definately like to see more of his explanation of his deep hatred of the Jedi that he displayed in "Grievous Intrigue" and him setting plans and traps that actually win a few battles and result in Jedi deaths.

See, thing is, "Grievous Intrigue" is a perfect example where had they let Nahdarr Vebb live from "Lair of Grievous" and used him a few times in Season 1, they could have had him in Grievous intrigue as a victim of Grievous. I saw Dave's commentary of Grievous Intrigue and agree with him 100% on letting Koth live in this episode, it's a real waste to kill new characters off in the same episode that your introduce them into the series (Vebb, Argyus, etc).

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Billy_Dee - I mostly agree with you. I really enjoyed the Grievous we saw in Grievous Intrigue, and I think he was the best amalgamation of the various Grievouses (Grievi? [face_laugh]) we've seen to date.

But yes, it would be nice to have his character developed. Ditto Dooku and Ventress. And Sidious, for that matter.

17. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    One thing I found that much like with "Lair of Grievous" I loved watching Grievous in action with his lightsabers - even more so in this episode because he kept twirling them in weird combinations. I liked how when he had kicked Obi-Wan to the ground and pulled the "this is where the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi ends" line and started spinning the lightsabers in his upper and lower right arms, but not his left. Also, I liked how in that scene and one other he started spinning them faster and faster and you could hear the wind up as his wrists turned faster and faster - much like the propeller of a helicopter - although gaining speed at a much faster rate. This also showed that he not only can turn his wrists 360 degrees, but also at variable speeds and choose the speeds he wants - and for which arm(s) he wants. I also liked how when battling Koth and Obi-Wan when spinning his sabers he scrape/lacerate the environment - awesome.

I saw Filoni's video commentary on "Grievous Intrigue" and he some excellent points how in ROTS we got a lightsaber fight very early on that was short but very very intense and spectacular to watch (obi-wan and Anakin vs Dooku). The Grievous vs Koth duel was similar in that manner and was perfect given that we hadn't seen a proper duel in a really long, long time, as well as having not seen Grievous in ages. It was a nice suprise.

Would be great if again, we don't see a duel in quite a while then in one episode we see a Council Member or two walk in on Dooku unexpectadly (without knowing he was there and no episode previews hinting he would be in the episode) on a Seperatist ship or base they have invaded - would be a wonderful shock/suprise, much like Grievous facing Koth - which would've been even more awesome if they hadn't of hinted of that encounter before the episode aired!

18. avatarkenobi

Jan 2, 2010
    couldn't help but noticing but in the duel with Obi Wan in the latest episode was he using Eeth Koth's lightsaber?

19. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    Yes, most likely it was Koth's. I don't see why he would let Koth keep it while he was restrained. Interestingly in the short duel that Obi-Wan has with Grievous in "The Deserter", Obi-Wan knocks a green lightsaber out of his hand before Grievous kicks him away - perhaps this means, providing it was Koth's lightsaber, Obi-Wan may give it back to Koth.

20. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Koth was originally supposed to be killed at the beginning of the episode, so it might be a slip-up like Palpatine briefly having Anakin's saber (hilt) in ROTS.

[Edit: Never mind, I've just realized that there's no reason for GG *not* to have Koth's saber.]

21. Ronderu_lij_Kumar

Sep 25, 2009
    I recently re-watched "Grievous Intrigue" for like the 100th time ;) and am wondering about the so called "history" between Obi Wan and Grievous, where Obi Wan says "Don't worry, the good general and I have a history, I'm certain he'll want to even the score". Can anyone tell me what happened? Was there a battle where they met for the first time and Grievous was beaten by Obi Wan? Maybe this was already discussed and I missed it somewhere.

22. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    They met and fought each other in the Malevolence Trilogy at the beginning of season one.

23. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    True, that they did, but I think the thing that had people confused is that the line implies they had a considerable history and relationship fighting one another, whereas we've only seen one of those times. So...potential for Grievous-episodes where he faces Obi-Wan? :p

24. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    That would be interesting...gods, I'd love to see the new Special, Special Edition of ROTS:

Obi-Wan: Hello there...again.
    Grievous: Ahhh, General Kenobi...you're still a bold one! Kill him!
    (Obi-Wan takes out his MagnaGuards, sighing under his breath as to how he's done this all before.)
    Grievous: Back away! I will deal with this Jedi scum myself...once and for all!
    Obi-Wan: It's about time!:p
    Grievous: You fool! I've been trained in the Jedi arts by Count...
    Obi-Wan: Yeah, yeah...I heard this the last 20 times we 'fought', General..:rolleyes:
    (Grievous removes his cloak, then seperates his arms and activates four lightsabers, whirling them like deadly windmills...Obi-Wan just stands there and sighs...)
    Obi-Wan: C'mon, Grievous! The lightsaber windmill? That's so two years ago!(Causally gets into a defensive stance, a confident smirk on his face...then the fight progresses as usual.)

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Please, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.