main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official * General Grievous in TCW Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheTelmarine, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Way back when Grievous was swinging post-RotS, I read parts of Eclipse, which is an excellent story. I think that's what made me want to see more interaction (the fic also ships Dooku/Padme, cough cough) between the characters.

The moving platform scene in the latest episode...ai. Grievous isn't paying off the investment on the ship.

2. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    I'm still trying to forget the Dooku/Padme stuff in that Eclipse story, well-written though it was. I confess I value it most for its take on Grievous. He lived on an asteroid in that one, too, asteroid Oovo IX, and wouldn't it be coincidental if the Grievous ep coming up next incorporated some variant of that? But then, Genndy's Grievous and Ventress and Durge were running around on some sort of asteroid/moon-based fortresses at times in the CW comics, weren't they? I imagine some of those comics ideas will get re-used in TCW series...

3. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    What Eclipse story are you guys talking about?

4. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    'Eclipse' is a fan novel that's primarily about Dooku attempting to sway Padme over to the Separatist side before and during the war. Long--over 286,OOO words--and gets into some weird territory between the two, weirder than I was really interested in, but that's only due to personal taste. Grievous is introduced about midway through and is in it for about ten chapters. Very intriguing interpretation, although it's now one which would be considered out of character, and he has some fine scenes pitting him against the likes of Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, etc. The most memorable scene for me is one of young Boba Fett asking to finish off Mace Windu after Grievous gets through with him ("He killed my father. ... Let me kill him."). Creepy... You should be able to find a copy of the story through google. It's still on the fanfiction dot net site and the writer's own website, as far as I know.

5. Subach

Subach Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    I just hope that Grievous's back story is respected by the series, seeing that it's truly awesome as is, and I would truly enjoy a story(arc) showing it, and I'm not even a big fan of the guy.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wow I didn't mean to start a Grievous/Padme fanficathon. Wayyyy too much information there.[face_hypnotized]

7. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    A Grievous back story would be cool, but I think we'll just have to keep dreaming.

8. The_General_Onslow

The_General_Onslow Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Grievous is male period. That's like saying Leia is female "in canon". If some person made a fic or something in which she was male, it would have no bearing on anything at all and it should be left out of "Official Leia In..." type threads.

Amen! This is supposed to be the "official Grievous in TCW" thread. Let's please leave it at that and stay on topic!

BTW, I have to 100% co-sign your last post about the General's performance in the last episode. Great observations. I too enjoyed Grievous "hanging up" on Dooku. [face_laugh]

YES!!! That was great! Sometimes in life you meet some older cat who uses some interesting slang or phrases and you wonder where he picked them up. It's cool to think that Obi's "Hello there!" from Episode IV was spawned from his encounters/rivalry with Grievous!

9. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    It would be cool, although I would hope they would incorporate various aspects of the original to flesh out the vagueness of this version...to me, TCW version leaves so much for intrepretation.

10. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    Well, they did mention the infamous shuttle crash Grievous suffers in the Visual Guide...that's hopeful. There just wasn't any mention of the Separatists having anything to do with it. If used, I suppose you could take the shuttle crash as the starting point for Grievous's transformation, the same as before. It just may be more of a business-like transaction Grievous gets into with the Separatists, more of a "Look! Use your technology to make me a cyborg and I'll work for you. I'll lead armies for you. I'll even hunt down and kill Jedi for you--I hate the &%##@! Just point me at whoever you want destroyed and whatever planets you want leveled, and I'll do it, as long as I get the tech I want." sort of deal he arranges rather than the Seps making all the decisions. That would fit the personality we've seen on the small screen so far, I think, and certainly be a little more palatible than taking what's been set down on paper so far ref. Grievous's background at absolute face value.

On the other hand, it may just turn out to be one source simply contradicting another...the Visual Guide did come out quite a while ago. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened either. Oh well, they've got years yet to work with the character and straighten out any internal discrepancies. If we're still moping and groaning about this by season three, that's when I'd say the series has a real problem with its story editing.

11. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Agreed, but the only aspect I truly don't like about this TCW version is that he becomes the cyborg because he covets the Jedi's abilities...I think they could say he respects their abilities and I could accept that better.

That is promising to hear that they mention the shuttle crash, but you pretty much have toi go with the rest of it for it to make any sense to me.

12. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Honestly, I just really want the definitive backstory for Grievous, whether it be cheesy, or not. I'd much rather know the official, canonical explanation rather than always be wondering (though I must say, I much prefer the old backstory over this new one). The two can coincide, I suppose, but I would really love a full, no-mistake-about-it backstory which cannot in any way be misinterpreted.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, people can always misinterpret things, otherwise we wouldn't need these endless debates, would we? ;)

Guys, great reference to Eclipse, but we were getting off topic there. Thanks for getting back on.

I too liked the original backstory; the reason they can sort of weld the 2 together is simply making Grievous' jealously of the Jedi coming at least partially from the Jedi/Republic taking the other side in his conflict, and the fact that they are unparalleled as warriors.

The writers really seem to enjoy Grievous so far, and I've enjoyed their rendition to date.

He is, to me, a great mix of the deadly Grievous we were introduced to in Genndy's Clone Wars, and the mustache-twirling villain we saw in ROTS.

14. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Only thing I don't like about the TCW GG is 4 fingers instead of 6 :eek:

15. Meet_Solace

Meet_Solace Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2008
    Lol! Me too, though it seems a bit trivial.
    12 fingers are all the better to thrum with. I wonder how they are going to divide up his hands for when he uses four lightsabers . . . But it is a nice throw back to his organic anatomy

16. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Watch him duel in the Preview Special, he splits into 2 fingers. Watch out! SquidFace! =D=

17. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    On that note, I like how the artists mixed aspects of his ROTS appearance with his CW 2-D cartoon appearance...well done, I think!=D=

18. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    But no split pelvic plates o__o

It's a talking point. I would really like a scene where Grievous is using the stasis pod mentioned in Labyrinth of Evil, hooked up on wires. I have a fan music video idea that would make use of something like that.

19. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, maybe we'll see something like that in 'Lair of Grievous':D

20. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    I'd rather not see Grievous use a stasis pod or any sort of regeneration chamber if only because I associate such things too much with Darth Vader--even now, many years later, I still have a very clear memory of the big 'reveal' scene (at the time) in which you got a glimpse of Vader's horribly scarred head and first realized that there was a human or at least a humanoid inside the suit. If they used the idea again with Grievous, I'd just be ticked and find myself thinking "seen it!"

What I'd rather see is something unique to Grievous and brand new. In fact, given that he's being presented as a goofball villain again and has no dignity anyway, I wish they'd just go all out and have some fun with the guy when it comes to his maintenance and repair sessions. Show Grievous reclining on something midway between a bed at a blood collection drive and a garage bay lift while a bunch of service droids have at him after his latest escapade. Bags hung up to run fluids into his body ala blood bags except that they have stuff like 10W30 and SAE40 stamped on them. Battery cables attached to his sensor panels and lots of typical garage noises as the droids work on his various extremities. Meanwhile, Grievous is reading casualty lists or a Soldier Of Fortune magazine to pass the time...

The thing I'm liking most about the new look of Grievous so far is that his eyes are definitely luminous now. Proof of how artificially enhanced they've been? It's not eye shine--it's the irises that are glowing. For that matter, has anyone noticed whether his irises still work at all or are his slit pupils always fixed in the same position? They always look fixed to me. Dunno if that's also because of enhancements or because it's natural for his species, though...

Edited to add:
    To Glymphid_Warlord: I almost hate to ask you this given that you're obviously such a keen Grievous fan, but you DO know all about the extra articles about Grievous that Abel G Pena has posted on his website, right?

Also, could someone confirm for me whether Grievous is in the new upcoming 'Rookies' episode? I was going to skip this one because I assumed he wasn't...

21. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The scene I have in mind for Grievous's repairs...is a dentist's office with Dooku as the dentist. Sorry, reference to you fic :X
    But seriously, it would be more like Grievous and multi-coloured wires, lying down (there was a line in the lyrics I sent you that goes "the pattern's laid out...in dozens of colours of thread"). Possibly, shock-therapy would be involved. The Vader chamber is a bit bleached for Grievous. Perhaps there's a portrait of the Late Qymaen jai Sheelal to one side of the dentist's chair.

22. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Yep. :)

There's all the proof you need. ;)

23. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Great, now I got this image of Grievous, getting his faceplate cleaned(ala dentist's office) while relaxing in a recline chair, his taloned feet propped up as Muzak is playing in the background:p

Yeah, I had no idea Grievous was going to be in this episode...hey, it just makes it worth more to watch it.:D

24. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Seeing as I made this thread (with another account), I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan. [face_peace]

25. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Grievous...ran away again. Crikey, this series is really degrading his integrity, strategy-wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.