main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Greedo in TCW thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by IG_2000, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Before everyone starts bitchin about him speaking basic without even watching the episode, lets look at the realistic side of things here.

Not everyone in the Star Wars galaxy understands Huttese, in the same way not everyone on Earth knows how to speak Spanish. I don't think an assassin sent to kidnap a high ranking official of a totally different nationality would interrogate him in German.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't care about "characters speaking Basic" anymore. They won't use subtitles in the show. Jabba could speak it because he has a droid. Poggle's dialogue is almost inexistent, therefore no need for translation. And in the cell scene he has a droid too. For Bossk, we couldn't say he can't speak basic just because he hissed in TESB. For Greedo, if he has many lines, it's understandable that he has to speak Basic.

3. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    Well, for all we know they could be using that good old movie formula where everyone speaks English, even though in-universe they're speaking their own language. English with a German accent = the guy is speaking German. And so on.
    It's been around forever and while I always liked the different alien languages we get to hear in SW, it's understandable why a show like TCW would choose to simplify things a bit.

And...uhm...from what I gather Greedo isn't even supposed to be born during the Clone Wars? Or is this Greedo the Elder?

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'll wait until I see the episode to pass judgement. But the basic and continuity problems aren't encouraging.

5. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    If it is Greedo the Elder...then it's all good.

I've actually enjoyed the Rodians speaking basic so far so it doesn't bug me.

6. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    It's gotta be Greedo the Elder. I'm pretty sure Filoni and crew know that Greedo isn't born until AFTER the Clone Wars.

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    For the sake of my sanity and enjoyment of the show, I'm 100% sure this Greedo we'll see in the next episode is Greedo the Elder, since the Greedo Han killed hasn't been born yet. Of course he's not known by his full name in the show because he hasn't had a son of the same name yet. There's no way that the episode will go so far out of its way to make sure there's no possible way this Greedo can't be the father of the Greedo we know from Ep4.

Since this thread is thus discussing Greedo the Elder (henceforth known as simply Greedo, for ease of communications), I have no qualms whatsoever with him speaking Basic. Makes perfect sense, as far as I'm concerned. I hope we see that rodian in some very cool scenes, and maybe we get some foreshadowing of why his son will be so poorly trained to go down like a punk one day.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm not too worried- only a flat-out declaration by Lucas that they're the same can change anything, and there's no reason for him to do so that would improve the episode any.

Because, really, it comes down to the simple fact that, even though he's a Rodian, there's no way the Greedo in ANH is in his 50's/twenty-plus years older than Han.

I could buy Farr being in his 50's, but not Greedo.

At worst it'll just be one of those things you can take either way, like the TPM Greedo scene.

9. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Cartoon Network caused quite some confusion in te preview by stating Greedo was involved. Perhaps the episode guide will clarify which Greedo we're dealing with.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Speaking of episode guides: Please Lucas Online, bring back the full sinopsys.

11. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Indeed, they're getting lazy. What's the point of an episode guide if you don't even have the plot in it. But I suppose there is no way someone involved in the making of these guides will read these posts, neither is there a way to let Lucasfilm know about our issues.

12. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    The casual viewer is going to assume they're the same guy, as the Greedo the Elder retcon is only known to EU fans. Most viewers will see two rodians, one name and think it's the same guy, so to all effects and purposes it is the one guy. hell, what does an old Rodian really look like? Onaconda Farr was probably over 45 and didn't look particularly different to Greedo.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the way in which they act, the way they sound and how others react to them, that suggests their age. Greedo carried himself young, inexperienced and is treated like a little punk by Solo and Jabba.

Meanwhile Farr, who is definitely older than either Greedo, carries himself slower, weary and is looked up to as an Uncle/elder by Padme (herself only 5 years younger than Han Solo was in ANH) and his senate associates/rivals (including a rather old Kaminoan).

Also, the cartoon renderings might make them seem younger than they actually are- compare the live action Farr to Greedo:

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060917163024/starwars/images/3/38/Onaconda_Farr.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080812184646/starwars/images/c/c6/Greedo.jpg]

Farr definitely looks older- longer in the face, more hollowed cheeks, paler skin, more subdued, uh "spikes", etc.

And, from what we've seen in the movies, Rodians do seem to mirror humans in that the younger ones have rounder heads, which them oval-out as they age:

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060629205619/starwars/images/e/e2/GreedoTheElderTPM.jpg]

14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm not gonna lie. Between a Greedo of ambiguous age and an ass-kickin Baron Papanoida, I have a very bad feeling about this.

15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ugh..Greedo (if not Elder) in TCW is horrible. [face_tired]

16. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Good points, well made :)

However, I do think that the wider population viewing this wouldn't probably notice those points - I didn't really notice them as a passionate Star Wars fan (though one who doesn't really follow the EU much). So I wouldn't put it past GL and the Clone Wars team to make this Greedo be Han's Greedo.

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm pretty sure in GL's mind this is Han's Greedo. However, since that contradicts what we saw in Episode IV and other EU, and the episode itself most likely won't exclude the possibility of this being Greedo the Elder, it IS Greedo de Elder.

The funny thing is, I can't think of any way that they can, in the episode, make it undeniable that it is either Han's Greedo or Greedo the Elder.

The Episode Guide or interviews with Filoni, on the other hand...

18. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Unless they suggest that this Greedo has a son or will have a son...

19. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Meh, I'll wait til Greedo's episode airs in order to pass judgement. [face_thinking]

20. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    If the Greedo in the upcoming episode is actually a badass...then we'll know it's Greedo the Elder.

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Maybe he dies and then we'll be [face_hypnotized] ...now what?

22. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Wasn't Greedo the Elder's death already described somewhere?

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yes. And it would help if he actually fathered Greedo II before kicking the bucket.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Although he's not named as such (IIRC), his death is in Greedo's tale in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina and was later visually depicted in Pablo's webstrip adaptation of that story for Hyperspace a few years ago.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051005100542/starwars/images/a/a3/Greedoelderdeath.JPG]

Also, given what happens to Greedo Jr's body, it's amusing, if a bit creepy, that Jabba is also involved in this episode... all we need now is a young Wuher and a blender made out of an old IG droid's head ;).

[face_laugh]

25. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    You know, this is just my opinion, but they could pull off ANH Greedo if in Sphere of Influence he was a rowdy youth of maybe 13-15 years old. That would make him maybe 35-37 by the time he's shot by Han.

If humans can have growth spurts, why not Rodians? I myself was almost 6 feet tall when I was 13.

Sure its a stretch for a 13-year old Rodian kid to be involved in the kidnapping of the Chairman's family. But its not impossible.

Personally, I'd rather they be the same person, so that hardcore fans and casual fans are both talking about the exact same character. Don't know why, but I'd prefer it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.