main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON *Official* Harry Potter Thread (warning thread may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by AmberStarbright, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I know, I might stay up until I finish reading it now as it is so late lol

2. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    OK, I have finished the book! I am going to post a review. In case you haven't done it yet, I will use the lighlight function.

OK, so in comparison to the last one (which lots of people I know did not like, I loved it) I say they are pretty equal.

In the last one, I really liked the tension with Harry at the Ministry. I have noticed that many of her elements in the book resemble Star Wars, in this case, being the Senate's weaknesses being shown. Even though I hated Umbridge, she was an excellent foil. Slugworth in this book he not really a noteworthy character besides the info he gives to Voldemort.

In this one, the highlight was definately the view into why Voldemort is bad, a little like vader, but more sinister and sped up. I don't quite understand what was going on with dembledore and the cave's drink unless the point was to torture him to show he could not have drained it without Harry, although it almost looked like a shocker of a memory was going to be revealed.

As for the death....I was surprised, because Dumbledore was supposed to die last time that I forgot he may get killed. This was sadder than Sirius, and I wonder who she will bump in the next book to make it more tragic. I was just looking at the list that someone posted about revelations and it looks like a lot of things will have to wait to the probably NY phone book sized last book...

OK....Snape....the HELL? I have always wanted to know why he was trusted. When I read chapter 2 i thought he must be faking. Snape was always a red herring for so long, maybe that was the trick? The idea that he is on the side of the Death Eaters for REAL is shocking to me. Unless....Snape hates Dumbledore because long ago he was told by him as part of the promise to james, he must kill dumbledore over harry if something with voldemort happened again. And Snape resents Harry because he thinks dumbledore is great for giving him the potions job, liked he helped him long ago. And the reason he yelled "Don't call me a coward Harry" as he escaped was because he had to fulfill this, may be to prove for sure he was loyal only to voldemort. and he is somewhere continuing to be on both sides. that was why dumbledore always trusted him.

3. Firewhisky

Firewhisky Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    Hi there all, I've been directed here by the brilliant Grey Starr. I was wondering... hi-light-->now that AD has been murdered, and has a picture frame up in the Headmaster's office, might he still be able to continue helping Harry in his quest to detroy the remaining Hecruxes? And, though this is not my insight, but a question asked by someone else, is it possible that AD knew he was going to die, but made an Unbreakable Vow with Snape so that if the time came for him to be killed, Snape could keep both promises? <-- end hi-light

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    might be that he made a vow with snape, never thought of that, how much do portrait images actually know though, that would be interesting if he could still help harry, but harry's not going back to school, that is if the school even re-opens, the wait for the next book is going to be way too long, i was thinking, since harry isn't going to school next year, will there be an eigth book where he finihses the last year of school

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I think the portraits know everything he would know.

AD knew he was going to die, remember what he said before he drank from the basin? that Tom would want whoever drank it to live long enough so he could get answers from them, I think that whatever he drank was going to kill him anyway. To be honest before he even left Hogwarts I think he knew he was going to die.

6. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    There's a book out?

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    You know that is considered spamming ;)

8. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    sorry, my hilighting skills aren't quite there yet :p

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Don't worry, everyone on the YJCC has been having fun with highlighting text.........in the end everyone got fed up with it and did a new thread so they didn't have to highlight anymore as everything was blocked out :rolleyes:

10. Firewhisky

Firewhisky Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    pick a color, and then highlight in the same color.. it took me a few minutes to figure out.. blue

11. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    oh good, i gave up trying to read that thread cause there was just so many new posts and it was a pain to hilite all of them to catch up

12. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    i have decided i have no idea how i feel about that book. i have obeservations to make but i cannot do this highlight thing, to tired, all i can say is i agree about the foreknowledge, that Amber mentioned, i had a feeling since the very begining.

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    does that mean you've finished it?

14. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I agree with the picture theory. I recall reading in a previous book (don't remember wich one) that the portraits of the former headmasters were there so they could continue to give advice to future generations of heads

btw, I almost cried. SO GOOD!

15. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Just finished it today, after reading the first 5. I have to admit I was crying by the end. Always the sign of a good book (I cry if it's happy too.)

One thing I found very interesting is how the DATDA position IS cursed. And Harry has a curse that could potentially kill a person (as long as Snape's not there to fix them).

I was in shock when Dumbledore was killed, I couldn't believe it. And for the first time, I feel sorry for the Malfoys (except Lucius). I was bawling when I read about the funeral though, I could hardly see the words! It was very touching that Grawp, the Centaurs and the Merpeople all attended as well. Although Scrimigour doesn't seem to be much better in his position than Fudge was.

If the school does open for the next year, I wonder who the head girl will be, because I'm pretty sure Hermione was down for that position.

I'm going to have to read the book again, and more slowly, so I can get a better grip on what happened, though I'll probably cry through it, knowing what happens in the end.

16. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I just thought I'd post this here.... I found a page a year or so ago that shows you how to make felted "pointy hats" which are suitable for the aspiring witch or wizard. I don't know if anyone else is planning on dressing up to see the Goblet of Fire, but I was planning on making something. (or maybe it's just an excuse to make a fancy robe that's not brown....)

EDIT: I forgot to include the link.... http://www.geocities.com/sallypointer/Pointyhats.html

17. CaptainBiggs

CaptainBiggs Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    You guys are high from potter, or so I think...

18. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    no, I'm always like this. Harry Potter is a minor obsession, started because I liked the costumes in the first movie (didn't care much for those in the third movie though.)

19. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    saw a newMoody pic that looks way better than the one we saw before, but his eye looks funny, which its obviously supposed too :p not not weird like i'd imagined

20. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    It is odd, but better than I thought. The first picture I saw (I think it's the movie poster) it looked like he had a patch over the eye.

21. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    I knew there was a reason I loved Harry Potter so much! Check out the similarities to a little series of films we also love, other than their overwhelming influence on pop cultureand rabid fandom (and proving I have too much time on my hands).

HP Our hero is Harry Potter, who turns from innocent/naive to wise/mature as he grows up and survives battles while using his extraordinary talents. He is full of angt because he is an orphan forced to live with family he thinks is horrible.

SW Our hero is Luke Skywalker, who turns from innocent/naive to wise/mature as he grows up and survives battles while using his extraordinary talents. He is full of angt because he is an orphan forced to live with family he thinks is boring.

HP Harry's friends are Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid. Ron comes from humble beginnings and has a quick wit. Hermione is bossy, brave, and very intelligent and discovers she has talents to be a wizard even though she comes from a Muggle family. Despite their constant spats, they have a thing for each other. Hagrid is a hairy giant who is difficult to understand because of his Scottish accent.

SW Luke's friends are Han, Leia, and Chewie. Han comes from humble beginnings and has a quick wit. Leia is bossy, brave, and very intelligent and discovers she has talents to be a Jedi even though she was raised by a Royal family. Despite their constant spats, they have a thing for each other. Chewie is a hairy giant who is difficult to understand because of his Wookiee accent.

HP Harry's mentor is Dumbledore, a great old wizard who dies to save others. Hw watches over Harry from afar. Will he still come back from beyond to continue to help Harry? Harry relies on occassional help from Dobby, a small elf with unusual talking patterns who at first he finds irritating but later learns can prove useful. His surrogate father, Sirius Black, is a controversial wizard who dies at the hands of the villain's servants. MacGonagall is a witch who is very stuffy but powerful and is a leader at Hogwarts.

SW Luke and his father's mentor is Obi-Wan, a great old Jedi who dies to save others. He watches over Luke from afar. He still comes back from beyond to continue to help Luke. Luke's father relies on help from Jar Jar, a creature with unusual talking patterns who at first he finds irritating but later learns can prove useful. His father's surrogate father, Qui-Gon, is a controversial wizard who dies at the hands of the villain's servants. Mace Windu is a Jedi who is very stuffy but powerful and is a Jedi Council leader.

HP Voldemort is the evil villain, a wizard who lusted for power and fell to the Dark Side, committing mass murder. He left his parents at a young age and despises Dumbledore because he feels he held him back by preventing him from beoming a Dark Arts teacher. Voldemort is disfigured because he was destroyed by love. His henchman is Snape, who plays for both sides of the war and we may not know which side he is really on. The Death Eaters are his supporters, while the secret Order of the Phoenix attempts to find and bring them to justice.

SW Darth Vader is the evil villain, a Jedi who lusted for power and fell to the Dark Side, committing mass murder. He left his parents at a young age and despises Dumbledore because he feels he held him back by preventing him from beoming a Jedi Master. Vader is disfigured because he was destroyed by lava. His master is Sidious, who plays for both sides of the war but we know which side he is really on. The Empire are his supporters, while the secret Rebellion attempts to find and bring them to justice.

HP At Hogwarts, children are discovered and brought very young away from their parents to study to become wizards and witches. They use wands as weapons, and Harry's wand is made from the same tail feathers of the phoenix that Voldemort had his wand made of. The students go through grueling exams before they graduate. They wear distinctive robes. The Ministry of Magic oversees activity but it is thought by many to be incompetent.

22. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I just finished reading Half Blood Prince the other, and am writing this assuming that the spoiler policy period has now finished.

I started reading the first chapter before even touching the other 6 books, and it was so good! Until I got it taken away and told I had to read Goblet of Fire and Order of the Pheonix. I really enjoyed Goblet of Fire and didn't think much of Order of the Pheonix, though I was so sad when Sirus died :(

Now onto the newest book, I though it was just brilliant, without a doubt the best so far IMO. I think that Voldermots history came together so cleverly with the things that we already knew about him. I really enjoyed the moments of humor, and that now matter how popular the books have become that JK Rowling never submits and keeps to her vision of keeping the kids, well, british and not changing terms to "americanize" the books, even just little things like "Trainers" as opposed to running shoes or sneakers.

The last chapter with the attack on Hogwarts was so well written and vivid, while reading it honestly seemed as you were there with them.

As odd as this may seem, one of my favorite bits of the book was actually Tonks and Lupin hooking up, and that being "canon" as that were, for some reason to me they work really well together. Lupin is such a nice man, very smart and quiet, but at that same lonely becuase of his condition. I think that its good that he has Tonks to bring him out of that, Tonks has definately become one of my favorite characters ^_^

23. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    There were some interesting parallels between Star Wars and Harry Potter, though I was a bit surprised by the relationship between Vader and Dumbledore. (I know that was a typo, but I couldn't resist)

I thought of one the other day... In Episode III, Palpatine has his speach about the only thing the powerful fear is losing their power. That reminded me of Fudge, especially in the OoTP, Fudge is VERY afraid of losing his power. Which he does, in the end.

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    New harry potter trailer looks amazing :D

25. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    *squeal* That looks fantastic!! I generally try to avoid seeing the movies because they ruin the books for me, but this one looks great even just from a film stand point! I can't wait to see it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.