main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    I've been around the JC in one form or another long enough to know that there are hip-hop music fans in the JC. I am proudly one of them. I am starting this thread because I think there should be a place at the JC to appreciate hip-hop music. Feel free to talk about your favorite artists, inspirational lyrics, artists you think other hip-hop fans would dig. Personally I like a wide variety of hip-hop music. Some of it I like more than others. For instance, in my collection of CDs that I own I have:

The Diary of Alicia Keys - Alicia Keys (technically I consider her a Soul artist with hip-hop influence)
    Dark Days, Bright Nights - Bubba Sparxxx
    Deliverance - Bubba Sparxxx
    Resurrection - Common Sense (since shortened name to Common)
    The Chronic - Dr. Dre
    2001 - Dr. Dre
    The Slim Shady LP - Eminem
    The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
    The Eminem Show - Eminem
    Ghetto Fabolous - Fabolous
    Street Dreams - Fabolous
    Get Rich Or Die Tryin' - 50 Cent
    Beg For Mercy - G Unit
    Every album except Vol. 1... In My Lifetime - Jay-Z
    Word of Mouf - Ludacris
    Chicken and Beer - Ludacris
    Breaking Atoms - Main Source
    Every album - Nas
    Greatest Hits - N.W.A.
    Life After Death - The Notorious B.I.G.
    Word...Life - O.C.
    Aquemini - Outkast
    Stankonia - Outkast
    Big Boi and Dre Present... - Outkast
    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below - Outkast
    Doggystyle - Snoop Doggy Dogg
    G.H.E.T.T.O. Stories - Swizz Beatz
    Get In Where You Fit In - Too $hort
    Can't Stay Away - Too $hort
    You Nasty - Too $hort
    Chase The Cat - Too $hort
    What's My Favorite Word? - Too $hort
    Married to the Game - Too $hort
    www.thug.com - Trick Daddy
    All Eyez On Me - Tupac
    Hand On The Torch - Us3 (another soul group)
    My Way - Usher (soul with hip-hop influence)
    8701 - Usher
    Restless - Xzibit

I'll talk more about my favorite artists and other hip-hop stuff later.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

2. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik -- OutKast
    ATLiens -- OutKast
    Aquemini -- OutKast
    Stankonia -- OutKast
    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below -- OutKast

Ghetty Green -- Project Pat
    Crazy n dem lazy dayz -- Tear Da Club Up Thugs
    When the Smoke Clears -- Three Six Mafia
    Hypnotize Camp Posse -- Three Six Mafia

Chronic 2001 -- Dr. Dre
    The Slim Shady LP -- Eminem
    The Marshall Mathers LP -- Eminem

There are more, but OutKast takes the top spot in terms of being able to put on any of their albums and not changing tracks at all. Just jamming to them.

The Cloner

3. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I like Outkast and Nas a lot. Jurassic 5 and Talib Kewli are quality. Not much more, though.

4. TABARNAK

TABARNAK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2004
    Hip-Hop I like:

Beastie Boys

DJ Shadow

The Streets

Outcast

Busta Rhymes

5. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    Hip-Hop doesn't deserve appreciation.

6. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    No you are.

7. I_AM_A_CLONER

Jun 13, 2003
    Raincloud, people like you make me angry.

8. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I_AM_A_CLONER: Yes people with a different taste and opinion of their own make me angry too. [face_mischief]Regardless if they posted that view in the wrong thread or not. . .

<[-]> Saber

9. I_AM_A_CLONER

Jun 13, 2003
    Saber, I should probably clarify my post before it can be misinterpreted. What I meant was, people who post in an appreciation thread about the topic deserving no recognition is what makes me angry. I understand everyone has their opinion and tastes and I respect that, it's just that when someone does soemthing like that they come off as a grouch to me. I don't care for some threads or topics on the JC but I don't post deliberate negative messages in them for the hell of it. What also makes me angry is people who don't consider a different kind of music as "music". To some people Hip-Hop/Rap music is how they express themselves and others relate to the stories within the songs. Now, granted I think alot of Rap/Hip-Hop is terrible mainly because its a bunch of people talking about how much money they have and how many women they have slept with and to me that does not define a person's character. But then again there is some Hip-Hop/Rap songs that just sound idiotic and dumb but those songs get me crunk and put me in a good mood. Like I listed above I like OutKast. I like their music alot because they are constantly redefining Rap as we know it. They are experimenting with new things and ideas and branching out to new levels. And their music comes from the heart. Especially their first 3 albums. Those albums tell a story. It just angers me that some people don't consider Rap "music" simply because they don't like it. I don't like country but I consider it music. Music is universal and one of the things that all people of this world and any culture can identify with. They might not enjoy the same kinds of music but everyone listens to music. Everyone has a favorite song/songs that they can get lost in. It's just a shame that people cannot be more open minded toward others' taste in music. I used to think like that. But then this past year I decided I wanted to expand my collection/exposure to different kinds of music and now I listen to things that most people laugh at. I don't care that they laugh at it cause I enjoy it. Would you tell someone from Nigeria that his tribal chanting and clicks and sounds and drum beats aren't music because you don't like it? Do you know how ignorant and offensive you would sound to a Nigerian if you said that? I enjoy tribal chanting. I also enjoy Chinese Bamboo Flute music and Japanese Kyoto music. It's relaxing. Same thing for Tibetan monk chanting and Gregorian chanting. I find it relaxing. I guess my point is that every song has a message and if you give it a chance you might find that message. I have found the music that tells me the messages that I like to hear. It saddens/angers me that others can't feel/appreciate the variety of music that I and others do. Expand you horizons. Think outside the box. Variety is good.

The Cloner

10. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I've been really digging Sage Francis and the Non Prophets lately. Also the new Lyrics Born, well anything Quannum really. Mr. Lif's new album is good. Also Busdriver [shameless plug]who we just opened a show for[/shameless plug] is AMAZING. If you haven't heard him you should check him out.

11. Boba_Fett_2004

Boba_Fett_2004 Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2004
    My favourite artists are N.W.A., Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Nas, and Eminem. Recently I've been getting into Classified and Jedi Mind Tricks.

12. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    deltron: You opened for busdriver? That's sweet. You got an album out?

I hope you don't mind if I just copy and paste the PM I just sent you. :p

Yeah, we opened for him in Olympia, Wa on Jan. 29. :D

Our band is called Log Hog and we've been making music in some capacity since '94. We did small releases of records in 98, 99 and 00, and then sort of refocused after that. Most recently we put out a four volume set of unreleased stuff last summer called "Stuffing the Bald Caps" and a split 7" with a band called The Jesus Chords.

We don't have much on the web, and nothing new, but you can check out a few older songs here if you want.

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Oh, Jesus Christ...

14. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
  15. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Big up del for the Sage Francis endorsement, I've been checking out Hope recently too.

Can't we all get a long stick and beat the **** out of each other with it. -Sage Francis

Legend has it that Sage defeated Mr. Lif and Akrobatik in a freestyle contest in Cambridge MA.

Legend also has it that Non Prophets is doing an album for release on Epitaph.

16. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    I like all the old school stuff mainly:

RunDMC
    TLC
    Beastie Boys
    Older Ice Cube
    Older Puff Daddy and Biggie smalls stuff
    Outkast isnt too bad
    What ever Korn does(except one song they did with some guy from some rap group ive never heard of on Follow the Leader)

Now it just sucks. Like said earlier, all the mainstream stuff is jsut cash, women, shinny ugly lookin things in peoples mouths, and annoying little noises in the songs that make it get stuck in your head.

17. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Why do people insist on saying Hip Hop today sucks? It's great right now, the last few years saw some quality releases, did you miss those? Talib Kweli? The Roots? RJD2? Common? Jurassic 5? Blackalicous?

MTV does not represent Hip Hop, when will people figure this out?

18. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Legend also has it that Non Prophets is doing an album for release on Epitaph.

Really? Very interesting. I went looking for info, but couldn't find any. I did find a pretty cool looking forum here where it looks like Sage himself posts, and actually has over 4000 posts. I don't know if I'll sign up or anything, but it's cool that he interacts with "the fans" like that.

19. Liana_Joppa

Liana_Joppa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I not particularly a hip-hop fan, but i think the lead singer in OutKast is kinda cute. :p

20. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Seagram, del:

Dug up this link for ya.

21. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Awesome, thanks Tobie.

22. I_AM_A_CLONER

Jun 13, 2003
    Um Liana. OutKast consists of two people. Big Boi and Andre 3000. There really isn't a designated lead singer since they both contribute equal amounts of music and talent to OutKast. Hence that is why they are sometimes referred to as "The playa and the poet". Big Boi is the playa and Andre is the poet.

The Cloner

23. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    More on Sage being signed with Epitath.

I was the first hiphop artist to sign with Epitaph. I signed a 3 album deal with them. The first Sage Francis album on Epitaph should be out by late spring. Hopefully. That label intrigued me for a number of reasons. One, Bad Religion. Two, they treat their artists very well. Three, they approached me in a very respectful way and continue to be overly-supportive of everything I do. Four, I liked the idea of being the only rapper on a punk label (which wouldn't last too long.)

source

24. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Jedi Mind Tricks- "Violent by design"

download or cop

great album :tup:

25. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Geto Boys "Mind Playing Tricks On Me"