Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    i enjoy Beastie Boys, but that's about it for my hip-hop liking
  2. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Thanks to my brother, I've had my horizon expanded into hiphop recently. Been to see recent Mr Lif, Afrika Bambataa gigs, been listening to a lot of DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, J5, many good artists from the DefJux stable. Going to see MadLib and PeanutButterWolf soon too. All good stuff. I also really like the Aussie stuff I've been hearing lately. But yeah, I never used to like hiphop, I pretty much pidgeon-holed it as crap, but there's so much variation within the genre, I'm always bound to find something I like! :D

3. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can feel the love for my thread coming back. Just to let you all know, I performed at an open mic spoken word Lyricist Lounge tonight. I performed "I Can" and "One Mic" by Nas.
  4. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Man finally a thread I can thirve in as an expert.
    I have to much stuff to list, I started collecting Hip Hop tapes if anyone remembers those back in 86 and was the world's largets UTFO fan.

Currently I am listening to Kayne West, new DJ Clue mix tape, leaked Rakim tracks from his album which is constantly delayed, Kotton mouth Kings, Swollen Members ( I am still a Canadian at heart but don't care for Kardinal) and Slum Village. When I want to flip it to the old skool I go no furtehr than Eric B and Rakim.

Some stuff coming out...
    Nas "The Lost Tapes: Vol. 2"
    Petey Pablo "Still Writing In My Diary: 2nd Entry"
    Royce Da 5'9 "Death Is Certain"
    Soopafly "Dat Whoopty Woop"
    Tony Touch "The Piece Maker II"
    Lil Flip "U Gotta Feel Me"
    Knoc-Turnal "The Way I Am"
    Mobb Deep "Amerikaz Nightmare"
    Pastor Troy "By Any Means Necessary"

5. BOBAFETISH Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Legend has it that Sage defeated Mr. Lif and Akrobatik

Akrobatik's last album is awesome.

Why do people insist on saying Hip Hop today sucks? It's great right now, the last few years saw some quality releases, did you miss those? Talib Kweli? The Roots? RJD2? Common? Jurassic 5? Blackalicous?

GAP and I know all about this.

GAP, Gang Starr just toured with support from Guru and DJ Premier (lovely guys, helping themselves out like that! :D). So did Blackalicious with Lateef.

Did you check out Les Nubians last album? Temperature Rising, with Talib Kweli, was an amazing track.

I love, in no particular order; Jurassic 5, The Roots, Quannum/Solesides, Blackalicious, pre-Elephunk Black Eyed Peas, Les Nubians, Musiq, Ugly Duckling, Guru, Common, DJ Shadow...

PulsarSkate, check out Hilltop Hoods.

I don't like Gansta Rap, I prefer backpack/thoughtful hip hop...

And as for G-Unit, I heard one song called "My Buddy", which had gunfire samples. Woo. [face_plain]

E_S
  7. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The G Unit and 50 have set the game back ten years, worse than even Eminem.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Swollen Members ( I am still a Canadian at heart but don't care for Kardinal)

:eek:

How can you not care for Kardy?? :p

I think his next album, Firestarter Volume 2, could be pretty good considering the people he worked with on it.
  9. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Eminem set Hip Hop back? How?

Anyway, Sai, no, haven't heard the new album =(, to be fair, I've not been listening to a lot of Hip Hop lately (been pumping most of my money into Post-Rock (G!YBE, Mt. Zion Orchestra...) and Stoner Rock (Kyuss! I only discovered them about 2 months ago (December 2003...) but I already bought their entire catalogue...my new favourite band next to Zeppelin and the Roots...)

Next Hip Hop album I'm planning on buying is probably Dead Ringer by RJD2, but I am an impulse buyer when it comes to music, so I might come back with, oh say, Little Johnny From the Hospitul: Breaks & Instrumentals, Vol. 1 (Company Flow!) instead, hah. You never know...

Oh, everybody, check out STARFLAM! Belgian Hip Hop represent yo! (=P) If you understand any French you will WANT to hear this Sai, their lyrics are completly ANTI-Gangster Rap (The album is called "Donne-moi de l'amour", who'd have figured hah.) Great album, seriously, if you want to listen to some mp3's, they are online on their website...here:

Check bottom-left on the page, you can click on two tracks, "Marseille-Liege" & "Mister Orange" (not the best of the album IMHO but eh, still great tracks though!)

EDIT: Wow, on the site, check "Starflam corner", it has mp3's and videos of some of their best songs, great! Check out Amnésie internationale and Donne-moi de l'amour!
  10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
  11. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    As a general rule I am not a fan of hip hop and rap,
    however I am not a hater. Let me dwell on the positive.
    There's one act that I really love
    and that is OUTKAST!

OUTKAST is one of the most creative and talented
    musical forces I have seen come along in a long time.
    Their videos and songs are BRILLIANT. They draw from lots of influences,
    they're genuinely entertaining and their music overall is just plain fun.
    I'm impressed and apparently so were the Grammy voters.

I can't wait to see what OUTKAST does next. :)
  12. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Outkast is great because they keep coming back with something different.

Mastamind from Detroit has a new album out if anyone's interested.

Did anyone pick up Kayne West this week? If so please post a review, if not I will be getting a free copy soon and I will.
  13. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    If so please post a review

That's a GREAT IDEA DarthBane420. I've been around the JC for a while and I know there are at least a few hip-hop heads out there. Posting reviews of rap albums would be a great idea for those of us out there who are considering buying them. A friend of mine told me the new Kanye CD is pretty good although he hadn't listened to all of it. I've heard Through The Wire and Slow Jamz. They're ok, but I don't think the two of those by themselves would motivate me to cop this album.

Edit: I can't wait for Nas' new CD to drop.
  14. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ah, the lost Tapes volume 2, should be interesting.

Today I am listening to the new D.J. Clue Mix CD.
    One of the best trax is Nas and Rakim Allah on Streets of New York

I am finding that I like the A-team to some extent, and also the Dip set.
  15. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I'm partial to most genres, hip-hop included, but something I've been quite intrigued by of late is the emergence of Melbourne/Aussie hip-hop. I admit, initially I laughed at this prospect - can you honestly imagine someone with an accent like Steve Irwin doing hip-hop? - but I have to admit, I've been impressed with some of the stuff that's come out recently. 1200 Techniques is fast becoming a personal favourite, along with the Cat Empire (though they're a mix of jazz and hip-hop that work quite well IMHO). There's a few other good ones that I've heard on Triple J amongst the crap, but I'll be buggered if I can remember their names right now.
  16. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Not a single person took the effort of downloading anything by Starflam? Yet there were plenty of people whining about the state of Hip Hop?

How much easier can I make it for you guys? [face_plain]
  17. Mr_Mwindu Force Ghost

star 4
    good to see other fans of outkast. they rock
  18. Darthfunkasourous Force Ghost

star 3
    Ghetto boys-we cant be stopped
  19. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry GAP. I don't understand French.

It's nice to see people in this thread I created that appreciate Outkast, but what other artists do people appreciate?
  20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey, I only understand half of it myself, but that doesn't stop me from listening to it. Besides, it'll be great for your language skills.
  21. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What's the next hip-hop CD you are going to purchase?
  22. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    CD's on the horizon I am looking forward to.....

Lil Flip Presents the Clover City G's
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/ultimatecdlink/flip.jpg]
    Flip, the premier student of DJ Screw, is set to debut his crew in what will hopefully be something remarkable. I am a huge Flip fan, and also Screw, but I have doubt's about any "Posse" CD, they tend to have only a few brilliant tracks and many forgettable, I hope this CD is the exception to that rule.

Mobb Depp: Amerika's Nightmare
    I am a huge Mobb fan and I hope QB's finest do it up right this time and help us all forget the terrible R&B crap they had on the last album. The fresh single should be the title track Amrikas Nightmare.
    I have heard a few tracks off this already including Bidadadat, which is superb.

Lil Flip: U gots to feel me
    2 CD's coming in late March guest starring 3-6 mafia, Ludacris, David banner etc.
    This could be bigger than Flips last CD.

Nas: Lost tapes Volume 2
    Mr. Bonds will be happy to know I am eagerly awaiting the real King of New Yorks next album. Little is know about this CD but many say it will be legendary, but then everything Nas does is legendary.

Mastamind:Street Valu
    Supposed to be released this week but now pushed back. Living in Michigan and having met Esham and the gang a few times it's hard not to support the local horror-core scene, which is no doubt what this CD will represent.

23. I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Master

star 4
    Damn time OutKast starts to get some recognition. They have been around for a decade and are constantly bringing new funk to the table. I haven't been with them since the beginning, I've only been a fan since 1997 or so. But my love for their music has grown significantly since 2001. It's nice to put on their albums in order of release and listen to the progression of each album, yet at the same time they still keep the same sound on each album that defines them as OutKast.

I've been trying to break into listening to Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, Rakim, and some others. I have to admit though I'm not a big fan of rappers from New York. No offense to anyone, but they just don't have anything interesting to say. Ok, I take that back. The rappers from NY that MTV plays constantly have nothing intelligent to say most of the time. Rappers like Ja Rule and the whole Murder Inc crew really annoy me. The constant feuding between Nas and Jay-Z is annoying. But I'm trying to listen to new things and I've have gotten into a little Kanye West and some others from NY that could be considered not the mainstream. We'll see what this year brings in terms of new people I listen to. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, though someone did on page 1, Blackalicious is off the hook. Same for The Roots and Jurassic 5.

The Cloner
  24. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the Roots never get the respect they deserve.
  25. somethingfamiliar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What's some good dj/turntablist stuff? I really dig this one Beat Junkies track I heard. What else is out there that sounds... trippy?