main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    besides the fact that memphis bleek wishes he was cole [rapper-wise, anyway, since bleek ain't even write the hottest ish he was ever on, coming of age, which you may or may not know, though if not, read Decoded. spoiler alert] [except that bleek is paid for life without doing ish cuz jay] + the two are completely different duh,

haven't listened to it yet.

2. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    made a slew of purchases relevant to this thread:

Marvin Gaye- What's Going On
    Bob Marley- Legend [first marley cd- thought about going with Exodus, but started with the greatest hits instead]
    DMX- It's Dark and Hell is Hot
    DMX- Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood
    Rakim- The Seventh Seal

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I've listened to The Seventh Seal a few times now. It's not bad. It's not great. It's decent. lol

EDIT: KREAYSHAWN GOT COMPETITION

4. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    cole/jay song was ok.

they shoulda picked a different beat.

it was kinda sick sorta.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I went to a Wale concert here at my university Thursday night. I am not a huge fan of his but its one of the rare hip-hop concerts that come to this area. He did not hit the stage until about 3 hours in, it was a lot of local rappers opening for him and they were pretty good. Wale did a nice job too, good concert overall.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Moments like this make this thread worth skimming. [face_laugh]

7. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Saw him when he came up here to school, def puts on a good live show. I'm hoping when Ross comes here in 2 weeks Wale pops up.

8. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    STILL got my nike boots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I1QxABdYYc&ob=av3e

"nobody rep for the skins/ they busy cheerin them stars/
    it's ironic/ it's the same for the artists/
    rather than buy our songs/ they busy cheerin them stars/"

9. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    A couple of years ago before he dropped his major label ish, two of my dudes opened for him. He put on the most lackluster and disinterested show I've ever seen and I've lost almost all interest in him since. I bought the album, it was aight. Otherwise, Wale is no more interesting to me than any of these other new kids. That's to say, not very interesting at all.

10. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    yeah. I agree. attention deficit had some high points and low points, but overall it was just aight. mostly I like him because he reps DC and because of the song I just posted.

11. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    ROFL this Ray J Fab beef is the funniest ish in years hahahah

lol at Ray phoning the radio saying he wont swear, and then still dropping N and F bombs
    http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/09/ray-j-fabolous-involved-in-fight-in-las-vegas-audio/

hahhha

Even if Ray did punch Fabo, major smh @ Ray for thinking he Nasir Shakur ranting on the radio haha
    also Ray buggin thinks if he got more paper than Fab, the only plaque he ever got is for like one single lol.

12. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    yar, that be pretty funny.

13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I'm from the DC area and currently live in town. The dude isn't reppin' DC anymore than anyone else at this point. He was okay in my book with the Go-Go influence, but since then he's just generic. Nike Boots was aight, but it wasn't much more than local shout outs, and really, how interesting is that after more than a couple listens?

I think my main thing is, personally meeting and being around the dude, he struck me as lacking any drive to be great and also of thinking too highly of himself. Plus he's got some serious mudmouth. Stop slurring so much, that's not how people from PG talk.

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5NXlIlygts&ob=av2e

HOLLA HOLLA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnwWGAulLM&feature=related

classic banger. smh at how bad the audio quality always was on that video.

15. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    this is the best 50 Cent song by far.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=802m4HPvXas

Disco D shouldn't have killed himself, that beat went HAM

The Massacre was such a bad album, this saved it.

16. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    I got Memphis Cole album.
    I'll give a fair and honest review when I've heard it several times during the week.

All I'm saying is, make or break. I ain't heard any of you mention Lupe since his last fail. Cole the same way? He is billed as the second coming of Nas or Jay. Let's see.
    smh @ being on Roc Nation, and producing 95% of the album. If this album fails on beats I will lol. He shoulda got some good NY producers.

Honestly, I hope it's good. We need a great rap album this year. We have had some half decent once, but no real quality start to end.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  18. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    why does Cole switch between electro and piano beats so quickly, sounds dumb

19. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

This song is awesome, easily the best song on that album though Baltimore Love Thing comes close. I used to seriously dislike this album, I'm sure some digging would prove that lmao but it's really grown on me over time. There's a lot of filler on there, I think if he chopped it down to say 15 songs it could've been an excellent follow up, and the production is awesome.

The Cole album is a problem, he really stepped his production game up for this one which is what was kind of lacking before. From top to bottom the album has a cohesive feel which I like a lot, I've only given it two full spins so I'm reserving full judgement but so far I think we might have a contender for AOTY...

20. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    It is overly long though.
    On the other hand his production is pretty good. I just don't get the mish-mash of the soulful and the electro.

The interlude is brilliant.

There is too much material on the album to give an instant judgement on it though, but I'm sure it will be getting spins for a couple weeks before I decide.
    He needs a vocal coach though, sometimes he does really dumb things with his voice like on Work Out.

Finally, I would actually want to here him on some Premo, Ye, Blaze, Buckwild, etc production. I mean it's cool he has his own production, but ... I don't want to see De Niro only in Scorcese films if you know what I mean.

21. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Interesting. I'm pretty over him now that you've said all this.

I agree he seems to lack motivation, just hearing his songs. Like he could do better. Like he could say more. There were a couple great cuts on AD tho.

db:

about lupe: I may be wrong, but I don't think I ever hailed lupe as the greatest or anything. That said, the dude is sick, and I give him a pass on the last album- which he did a decent job with [the lyrics were good] despite the generic crap he was given. I'll be copping the next album, barring terrible reviews.

about cole: dude. I hate that you get albums so early. I almost didn't want to read your posts because I'm semi-trying not to know to much before I hear it. Anyway, I'm glad to hear the album is long. I was semi-upset that he decided to put a couple old songs on there, like Light Off, even though I get why he did it, on a certain level. His mixtapes have tended to be on the long side, too, btw.

voice coach? maybe. yeah on work-out I like the first verse, but when he does the same vocal thing with the second it doesn't sound awesome.

edit: for clarification, the part where he's like 'fresh on the sceeeeeeeene" "damn girl ya meeeeeeeeeaannnnnnnnn" except I like the "ugh" right after that. lol

22. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    This is my favorite Wale song.

I agree about the, he could do more. His songs seem like they could have used just a smidge more work and they would be taken up a knotch

23. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    real quick: j. cole ft. bobby valentino [?] can't get enough video

https://www.jcolemusic.com/us/videos/cant-get-enough-ft-trey-songz

cole makin some dope videos. formula for success: throw a bunch of FINE chicas in it.

+Rihanna

makes me think about the sextape again. lends to it being true [especially with the situation they're in and how they seem to get on well- plus... why is she there?], but also to it being false, them being together during that time could've led to the rumors.

24. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    edit: for clarification, the part where he's like 'fresh on the sceeeeeeeene" "damn girl ya meeeeeeeeeaannnnnnnnn" except I like the "ugh" right after that. lol

Deception that's exactly the part I meant, really annoying when he does it

25. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    yes. I feel similarly. That's the only part of the song I don't like, really. I dig the first verse ok tho- "She like them boys with them big ol chaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnsss/ ride around town in a big ol raaaaaaaaange/ I knew her when I rock big ol chaaiiiiiiiiinnnss/ now the little ***** doing big ol thaaaaaaaaaangs/" and then the change up "would you look at that/ I came back for it/ just to give it to ya/ like ya ask for it/"

but even so, not his best decision. even rhyming chains with chains is.. ok at best.