main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    The movie Scratch is phenominal if you like Q-Bert and stuff like that.

For just turntabling, DJ Saheky Bones is different. He's a memeber of the Kottonmouth Kings and DJ's solo cuts, Bobby B also.

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Buy "Wavetwisters" now.

I just picked up the most recent Hiero cd. Wow, what a let down.

3. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Ender_Sai Way ahead of you mate, checked them out in Geelong last month. EXCELLENT stuff. Its great to hear them on the radio too, even if it is just the one song. :p

Got tickets to the MadLib and Peanut Butter Wolf shows yet? :D

DarthBane420 Scratch is absolute gold! I saw it in a movie festival a couple of years back and hassled my local dvd dealer until it came out last year. That guy was so relieved I was off his case! I just love DJ Shadow's tour of the basement, and the bit where Cut Chemist is talking about every town in the US having the record's page ripped out of the Yellow Pages! [face_laugh]

4. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    I just picked up the most recent Hiero cd. Wow, what a let down.

Every compliation Heiro kind of sucks, I'll take a Del or Casual solo with a few Heiro guests instead of a full Heiro cd.

5. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Really? Third Eye Vision is actually one of my all-time favorite records. Something like 20 tracks, with only two or three weaker ones. This new one is exactly the opposite though. After a few listens, only "Classic" and "Let it Roll" really stood out to me. Even the last track, which was obviously supposed to be the "skills showcase" of the album, didn't measure up to anything on Third Eye.

6. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    ***** CD REVIEW by BarryBonds25 *****

This is meant to be a helpful and informative cd review to let people know about artists they might not have heard and/or want to listen to.

Album: God's Son
    Artist: Nas

Get Down - First track on the album. Old school beat that Nas raps over. Very strong intro to this album, sets up the listener for other tracks well. 9/10

The Cross - produced by Eminem, this song is one of several where Nas draws parallels between himself and Jesus, hence the name of the album "God's Son". Nas lyrics and flow on this song are some of the quickest on the album. 10/10

Made You Look - First single off the album, this track is a blazing street joint. If you've seen the video you know what I mean. The video takes you on a tour through several street scenes, including Rucker Park in Harlem and the Bronx. One of several tracks on the album that are produced by Salaam Remi. "You a slave to a page in my rhyme book...This ain't rappin, this is street hop" This track also had Nas continue rapping with no beat at the end of the song. 10/10

Last Real N. Alive- One of the more creative songs on the album, Nas spits his tale of his dealings with the Notorious B.I.G., Raekwon and Jay-Z. Definitely a strong track. 10/10

Zone Out (F Bravehearts) - This track is admittedly weak as it's the generic "I have my posse on my album" track. His younger brother Jungle and G-Wiz make a decent group (the Bravehearts), but you can tell that their rap skills aren't on par with the King of New York. 7/10

Hey Nas (F Kelis and Claudette Ortiz) - Another weaker track, although compared to Nas' skills anytime he teams up with someone else it seems to drag his skill level down. One plus for Nas was to work with his future wife, Kelis. 8/10

I Can - The second single off of a stellar album, this is a song that empowers youth. This song is probably my second favorite on the album. Nas preaches to the masses about youth not growing up too fast among other topics. Nice hook with a chorus from little kids. Piano stylings in the background of Beethoven's Fur Elise. 10/10

Book Of Rhymes - This song produced by The Alchemist details Nas' journeys of writing in his book of rhymes and coming up with his raps and having to start over and decide what is good. A very ballsy and creative maneuver to put one's first editions, trials, out in public. 10/10

Thugz Mansion (F 2Pac, J. Phoenix) - This song is a very melodic guitar background with Nas rapping over part of it. It includes a verse 2Pac recorded before his death (RIP), and a verse by Nas. A rare collaboration between 2 of the greatest rappers of all time. 10/10

Mastermind - Good Alchemist beat. This song has Nas rapping very slowly over a nice slow beat. A lot of rappers aren't capable of rapping over different speed beats, Nas manages to slow down quite remarkably. 8/10

Warrior Song (F Alicia Keys) - This is by far my favorite track on the album as it is a collaboration between my currently two favorite artists. Nas rapping very quickly over an Alicia Keys produced beat including her piano stylings as well as some drum and cymbal stylings. Alicia Keys also lends her voice to sing the chorus. Nas begins to speak of his love for his recently deceased mother. 10/10

Revolutionary Warfare (F Lake) - Towards the end of the CD, Nas starts to think about his mother's influence and his raps reflect his thoughts on her. Another track produced by The Alchemist. 8/10

Dance - Very slow beat that Nas raps over about his life and his love for his mother. Nas gets very deep and reflective of his love for his mom and opens his heart on this and the last track of the CD. 9/10

Heaven (F Jully Black) - How would you act if heaven was a mile away? Would you change your actions if you knew by changing you could walk into heaven? Nas reflects on death and his actions in life. 9/10

14 Tracks - 128/140 - Solid album, definite must for Nas fans, very good album to think about his lyrics for rap fans in general. Cop this album now!

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've heard a few songs off of God's Son and they're great. darth_boy would agree with you on the review since he is also a huge Nas fan. Too bad he doesn't post that often nowadays.

8. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    God's Son is a great album, I agree. Can't remember who, but someone did an album called God's Stepson . I'll look up more info on it, unless anyone out there has it themselves (I'm only going on a mate's rantings with this :p)

9. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Gah, took to long to respond! The guy who did "God's Stepson" is NinthWonder (from Little Brother)

10. OGOneKenobi69

OGOneKenobi69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    The Goats-Tricks of the Shade.

Sage Francis-does rule!

Atmosphere-Second big hip-hop artist on Epitaph.

Del tha Funkee homosapian

Tribe called Quest

Jungle Brothers

Black Sheep

The Pharcyde

Gang Starr

The Roots

Beastie Boys

De La Soul

Nassir Jones(Nas)

Biggie(when puffy's punk ass ain't tryin to have cameos)

All freakin kick ass, and there are more to come!

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is it just me, or is Can I Kick It by TCQ one of the phattest songs around? :D

E_S

12. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes ya can!!!!!! Well I'm on-----go on withit!

Tribe reunited! they are working on a new album. Save me from this mass-media 50-cent Bull-spit!

13. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Well let's hope it will be good. Everything since Midnight Marauders has been subpar.

14. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    True, but I got a feeling on this one. Of course I thought Phife Dawg and Q-Tip's solo albums would be good.

15. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    You didn't like the Q-tip album?? Huh, I thought it was aces. Although, I thought Z-Trip was great too... *shrugs*

16. LandoColt45

LandoColt45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2003
    50 cent SUCKS! 21 questions my arse! I got one question? Who likes his crappy music?!

17. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    "You didn't like the Q-tip album?? Huh, I thought it was aces. Although, I thought Z-Trip was great too"

It's no that I hated either of their solo albums, but I don't think they where up to par with Tribe's albums.

18. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    What I've noticed with a lot of established rappers is that they start to settle into this style of "smooth" production. I wouldn't call it selling out, I don't really know what it is. But it happened to Wu Tang, it happened to Tribe, it happened to Ice Cube, the list goes on and on really. In fact, it's exactly the problem with that new Hiero record. What these acts seem to forget is that so much of hip hop's vital energy comes from the beat. The emcee is important of course, but the emcee's energy comes from the beats. Even the greatest emcees have a tendency to sound boring if the beat is boring. That's why the beats should always be raw and bumpin', and even on slower tracks they should have changes, progressions and breaks to keep them interesting. Sometimes you can get away with letting one loop roll, but it has to be a damn tight loop.

19. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    I've heard many an M.C. rip it up with no beat whatsoever.

20. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Sure, but spoken word, acapella rap, or whatever you want to call it is really a different beast. I'd say it's easier to bust a dope flow acapella than over a wack beat.

21. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    No doubt, beats and flow are very important. I'm just saying that real M.C.s know how to improvise. I can't believe I forgot to add KRS-One on my earlier list. He is a prime example of what I am talking about.

22. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    I'm just saying that real M.C.s know how to improvise.

True. And while I'm sure that probably still comes through at a Tribe show or a Wu Tang show or a Hiero show, it's their overly smoothed out, lazily produced records that I have a problem with.

And actually, as much as I hate to say it, Del isn't very good live these days either. Too much ego, too little energy.

23. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    I haven't seen a DEl show in a few years, but I hear what you are saying. I saw the Beatnuts and Mos Def a week apart at the same club like 2 years ago and they where both horrible live. I'd seen them both previously live and they ripped it up. I love both of these artists and it was very dissapointing to see them give a poor show.

24. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Hip hop live can be really hit and miss. I saw the Beatnuts last summer (I think) with Non Phixion, and I was actually pretty surprised at how good they were. I was there mostly for Non Phixion. But with Del I know it goes beyond one bad show. I saw him two years ago and it was bad, and I've talked to quite a few friends who have seen him since and they all say that he's been even worse. Luckily when I saw him Blackalicios opened and they were amazing.

25. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    2 things...

1. BarryBonds25 has just set the standard for a definitive Hip Hop review. That was better than anything i have read in the Source, XXL, or even my fav Murder Dog magazine.
    Outstanding job.
    God's Son will be remembered as a classic album in years to come.

2. "50 cent sucks, I have just one question.."
    One of the reasons I don't like 50 and a lot of the popular rappers is because people not into the scene tend to think that all rap is being represented by what is commercially dominant. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    Rakim, KRS-1, DJ Shadow, Q-bert, Eric Sermon, etc. etc. are all phenomenal musicians who have never sky rocketed in popularity but still have a tremendous amount of respect in the community.
    I agree, I have no love for 50 either, but please don't think that he represents "good" rap music anymore than the Darkness represents Death metal.