main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Like GAP said the Grey Album is a pretty cool concept, but the execution is mediocre at best.

Oh and everyone should go pick up Mac Lethal's "The Love Potion Collection" if you haven't already. A sample: Pass The Ammo.

2. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    Good looking out deltron. That Pass the Ammo song was pretty awesome.

3. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Bonds,
    Have you heard "Secret Agent Man" by Nas? It's off the hook man, good stuff.

4. OGOneKenobi69

OGOneKenobi69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I saw Mental Chaos the other night. It was a pretty good show.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Good looking out deltron. That Pass the Ammo song was pretty awesome.

I agree, it's pretty good. :)

6. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    Well All it's a big week, Flip is set to drop another album in 6 days titled..U gotta feel me.
    I am sure a lot of people have caught the "Game Over" single that's been in heavy rotation on BET of late. It's the song with the Pac Man enhanced beat.
    The album should also feature and outstanding colaboration from Cam'ron and Flip titled "Hustle Hard" if we are lucky.
    I will be getting the CD this weekend and releaseing a review hopefully Monday.

In other news I have heard several tracks from the upcoming Nas CD that are all outstanding, Secret Agent Man comes to mind. This will be a must buy no doubt.

The real question is what CD will be the music of this summer, any predictions?
    I would guess the new Cam'Ron which is set to release in early July.

7. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    I will be coppin' that new Nas joint on Tuesday with a quickness that will have heads at Best Buy spinnin' like The Exorcist. I will produce a comprehensive review(a la God's Son) for the upcoming Nas album as soon as I have it in my stereo. I'm out.

8. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    Atmosphere is going to tour with the Vans Warped Tour!
    Yeah!

9. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    Hey, this might seem like a slightly strange question, I listen to hip-hop and rap a lot but mostly Polish. What I'm wondering is what is more important to you all in hip-hop, the music or the lyrics? Because I've noticed that when I listen to anything in Polish the music is way more important for me, a song has to have a really good beat to get my attention, but when I listen to American or English or whatever rap the words and what's being said is what I really listen for.
    Another thing is I really don't know a lot of worthwile American hip-hop so nothing has ever really impressed me much. I mean I know what they put on MTV and so on but I want to know what in your opinion is really worth listening to, what albums are worth buying. The only American rap artist that I'm really into is Tupac, he's surprisingly popular here in Poland. Like I said, I've mostly been into Polish rap so any advice and so on would be nice.

Just in case, sorry for any mistakes and so on, I know my English isn't exactly perfect.

10. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    YoYoYo, off the hook yo! Word! Booty! Make dat money money money money money! I'm from da schtreet, yo, I'll blass yo' ass, foo! Yo yo yo, pass the couvoisier, cuz it makes so much sense to drink cognac, yo, gimme tha clip, Ima put one in dis foo!

Or words to that effect. Peace!! Mort out!!

11. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    Hey, this might seem like a slightly strange question, I listen to hip-hop and rap a lot but mostly Polish. What I'm wondering is what is more important to you all in hip-hop, the music or the lyrics? Because I've noticed that when I listen to anything in Polish the music is way more important for me, a song has to have a really good beat to get my attention, but when I listen to American or English or whatever rap the words and what's being said is what I really listen for.
    Another thing is I really don't know a lot of worthwile American hip-hop so nothing has ever really impressed me much. I mean I know what they put on MTV and so on but I want to know what in your opinion is really worth listening to, what albums are worth buying. The only American rap artist that I'm really into is Tupac, he's surprisingly popular here in Poland. Like I said, I've mostly been into Polish rap so any advice and so on would be nice.

Just in case, sorry for any mistakes and so on, I know my English isn't exactly perfect

To me, lyrics are way more important. Good production(beats) is good to have also, but not necessary for a record to be awesome. Handzik, I'm a huge Nas fan, and I would recommend buying some of his albums, I could also give you other recommendations by PM.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

IMO Rap is all about lyrics but music is important too. I might like a song because of the beat or I might like it because of the lyrics. And of course some artists are able to have both with their songs.

13. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    What are your thoughts on the new Beastie Boys album? There is a thread that covers the new album, but I wanted to see what some of you that frequent this thread have to say about it.

14. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I find it funny how there's no longer a seperation between rap and hip hop. I haven't been into either in years, but I was wondering if this is just the way it's evolved, or if it's just people's ignorance that that lops these two and seperate forms into one category. I laugh when someone calls Snoop Dogg a "Hip Hop" artist, or when someone important to the hip hop movement is looked upon just as a rapper. Maybe I'm just from an older time period when it comes to rap and hip hop, but I can't stand what it has all become.

15. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    I think there is a very fine line between Rap and Hip-Hop. Anyone that takes Hip=Hop seriously will agree with me on that. It's more that just a coastal thing as well. A lot of people think that Hip-Hop is strictly East Coast, and that is just wrong.

16. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Hip Hop is a culture. Like any culture it has it's dress, it's taboos and norms and it's music. Rap music is the music of Hip-Hop culture.

Sadly Rap is being pimped by the music industry right now.

Bring back the days of Boogie Down Productions (KRS-1), X-clan, Special-Ed, Run DMC, the Force Md's and all that. That's the real stuff to me.

17. OGOneKenobi69

Jul 2, 2003
    Don't forget the, Digable Planets, The Pharcyde, Black Sheep, Anotha Level, Eric B. and Rakim, Jungle Brothers, and the slew of other groups that were under-appreciated and should all make comebacks.

18. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    I think there is a very fine line between Rap and Hip-Hop.

I disagree completely. As ManoWan has pointed out, Hip Hop is a culture. Anyone remember the five elements of hip hop? What does rap have to do with that? Granted, Hip Hop music uses MCs that rap, but that does not make the two genres similar.

19. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    *resists the overwhelming urge to troll this thread*

*bites tongue*

20. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    It might be just me, but I've always thought there was a distinguishable difference between rap and hip-hop. It isn't so much in the music as it is in the lyrics and the intent of the song, though. They're similar styles, but I've generally viewed rap as the "ganstas and ho's" type of music, while hip-hop has an actual message to convey. That's probably just me, though, being an Aussie I wouldn't have a clue about US "hip-hop culture".

21. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    *resists the overwhelming urge to troll this thread*

*bites tongue*

No matter how crappy rap and hip hop has evolved into, a really arrogant comment like that deserves a: [face_plain]

Hawk, you're pretty much right. The most basic formula I've got is this:

Hip Hop = substance (and not the type rap talks about ;))

Rap = NO Substance

22. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    hip-hop n.
    1. A popular urban youth culture, closely associated with rap music and with the style and fashions of African-American inner-city residents.
    2. Rap music.

rap n.
    1. A form of popular music developed especially in African-American urban communities and characterized by spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a syncopated, repetitive rhythmic accompaniment.
    2. A composition or performance of such music.

Definitions from dictionary.com that are suitable to describe hip-hop and rap. Like others have said before, hip-hop is a culture. Rap music is closely associated with hip-hop culture. Nowadays, certain types of rap music are becoming more and more popular, no matter how bad some people think they are. For instance, gangsta rap. Gangsta rap is a style of rap music associated with urban street gangs and characterized by violent, tough-talking, often misogynistic lyrics. Dirty South rap(Crunk rap, Southern rap) right now is becoming more and more popular and according to Lil Jon, is about a state of high energy referred to as "crunk". Lots of people don't like these styles of rap, however popular they may be. It doesn't make them any less rap than any other types of rap. However, to differentiate between the currently played out rap on the radio, and good, slept on, underground rap, personally I choose to refer to more socially conscious rappers' music as hip-hop music. Technically, Snoop Dogg is as much of a rapper as Talib Kweli. Most people who care about hip-hop/rap tend to think that Talib Kweli is eminently more talented than Snoop. And so we like to set apart those artists we appreciate as being socially conscious wordsmiths and talented artists, like Talib and others previously mentioned, from the played out crap on the radio(also rap, I'm not denying it). However, you've got to realize people, there are different TYPES of rap music, and not all of it is commercially played out, not all of it is crap, and it takes a lot of talent to do something, like rapping, well. There are people out there like Mortimer who apparently have a hard time resisting the urge to troll this thread, who are making absurd generalizations about all rap music based on a select few rappers music(no matter how popular the select few currently are). I created this thread so that people could come here and APPRECIATE hip hop music. It just so happens that most people who truly appreciate hip-hop music(rap) prefer the more underground artists and those who are not commercially played out. I have seen endless bashing of rap on these boards and for the most part I try to stick up for a genre of music I like, however I would appreciate it if we could keep the hating to other threads and the appreciating to this one(I'm all for appreciating in other threads too, btw).

23. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Amen to that.

I strongly recommend Hilltop Hoods for anyone looking for a slightly different style of hip-hop, their new LP (well, not that new, last year) is fantastic. Can't wait to see them perform.

24. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    It's hard to differentiate Rhymes from Beats because they are so intertwined.
    The purist will say the rhyme, the layman is usually drawn in by the beat. To quote the RZA, "The dumb are intrigued by the drum."

For me it's both. I consider myself an amateur MC, and I will work out versus at work often times. Now I warn you people will still give you a hard time about this, one of me mates was just the other day.
    I was outside the building, spitting fire as usual when this one git comes outside and says,
    "420, that's pants. What are you trying to construct something massive?"
    I just kept spitting fire ignoring him, I am working on a large production I hope will be a Hip Hop Opera type thing, it would last for about an hour and have the characters rapping all there lines.
    Anywho this git keeps coming at me getting all arsed likes he wants a punch on. So I tell him to "sod off" and he leaves me to it. Off he goes sure as Bob's your uncle.
    This same bloke LOVES techno music, he loves the beats and to dance, he just hates lyrics with them.

25. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    Hey, thanks ya'll for the answers to my question. The hip-hop/rap diffrences thing is also something I was wondering about. I've had people ask me before and I've never been able to explain it completely. This is especially difficult since in Poland there is a totally diffrent distinction, the music is called hip-hop while the people making the music are rappers. There is no such thing as rap music here.

BarryBonds25 thanks for the advice, I'll check it out as soon as I can, any other recommendations you can give would be great.