Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Handzik why don't you spit some fire in Polish, it would be neat to see rhymes in another language.
  2. TIE1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    I like, however I would appreciate it if we could keep the hating to other threads and the appreciating to this one(I'm all for appreciating in other threads too, btw).

Hmmm, I hope that wasn't in reference to me especially considering how I defended the thread. I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from, but all I'm saying is that I don't like what rap has become while "hip-hop" seems non-existant these days. Granted, there's the "underground", but just how underground is it when you have a world wide audience? If you ask me, the word "underground" is just a gimmick, though it seems to offer the best overall package. Don't get me wrong, I grew up on rap/hip hop/RnB and appreciate all forms of it up until the last half-decade or so - perhaps that's why it's saddening for me to see what it's become.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    If you don't like Gangsta Rap that's fine with me but you cannot deny its influence over rappers today. Take N.W.A. for example. They were exactly what Gangsta Rap is about. Violence, drugs, hoes etc but they are regarded as one of the most influential rappers of all-time.

It just so happens that most people who truly appreciate hip-hop music(rap) prefer the more underground artists and those who are not commercially played out. I have seen endless bashing of rap on these boards and for the most part I try to stick up for a genre of music I like, however I would appreciate it if we could keep the hating to other threads and the appreciating to this one(I'm all for appreciating in other threads too, btw).

I agree about underground artists, they're great. However, there's lots of popular artists which are good too. Now it may be different for me because I live in Canada and even the most mainstream Canadian rappers don't get exposed anywhere else. That's mainly because most of them are like underground rappers. Pretty much none of them rap about bling, hoes, and drugs and people up here still appreciate them even though they do play videos of artists like Nelly and Chingy.
  4. OGOneKenobi69 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know if he was refering to you or not, but I believe what you said can sum up the way a lot of Hip-Hop fans feel. The radio and MTV have comercialized the hell out of certain kinds of rap, and left others in the background. So-called "Artists" that shout "what" and "ok" 50 times in a song and then have a guest m.c. drop all the rhymes in the jam have saturated the airwaves.

I have nothing against gangsta rap, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's not that I've changed, it's the newer artists that perform gangsta that turn me off. It's this kind of Hip-Hop that I refer to as Rap. I know I'm not the only one that does that, so I'm not going to apoligize for it. Like I said I don't hate the Gangsta genre, but it's just not for me anymore as IMO it doesn't have any style or substance. Gangsta Rap was so fresh and a very exciting concept to me when I was younger, but it used to be about survival, now it's about the bling. My uncle was a distributer for Priority Records which was the distributor for Ruthless and Death Row when they first came out. I came up around gangsta at it's infancy and I can assure you that today's gangsta has nothing on the OG's.

I liked OutKast so much better in their pre-stankonia, I liked The Black-Eyed Peas so much better pre-Fergie. Those are the only Hip-Hop acts that I can stand that get any radio play *excluding the Beastie Boys).

There are so many talented acts in Hip-Hop that have been around for so long that deserve the success that "here today, gone tomorrow" acts are recieving. I would think it unfair if I didn't believe that most of the deserving acts are content with their level of success.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I liked OutKast so much better in their pre-stankonia, I liked The Black-Eyed Peas so much better pre-Fergie. Those are the only Hip-Hop acts that I can stand that get any radio play *excluding the Beastie Boys).

Well there's Nas too. :p

But it seems like the only song they play by him is I Can. It's a great song but he has other good ones. I actually saw the video for Made You Look like two weeks ago! I think it was the second time ever I saw it.
  6. OGOneKenobi69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nas gets very little radio play here. "I can" while not a horrible song, is the worst song on "God's Son". That is a trend here in the U.S., the worst song on the album usually ends up being the radio single.

While "Made you look" is definitely one of the best songs on the album.

Nas is definitely on of the best M.C.s on the planet. I wish he could have released another album as strong as "Illmatic", which has to be one of the BEST HIP-HOP ALBUMS EVER!
  7. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    To respond to all who have posted since my semi-rant...

DB420: It's hard to differentiate Rhymes from Beats because they are so intertwined.
    The purist will say the rhyme, the layman is usually drawn in by the beat. To quote the RZA, "The dumb are intrigued by the drum."
    It IS hard to differentiate rhymes and beats because they are so intertwined. It's supposed to be that way as you know. There are producers out there who can drop great beats for a record and some rapper can come and still drop below average rhymes on it. Same as a really talented rapper can blaze over a poorly produced record. The best of both worlds comes when the two meet and meld perfectly. This however, very rarely happens. Good luck on your hip hop opera of sorts. Keep the fire within and continue to spit venom and much love goes out to you.

handzik: I'll keep thinking of more recommendations and I'll try to PM you with them. I also agree with DB420 about spitting verses in Polish would be dope, however, if you aren't really comfortable rapping then it's cool.

TIE1138: Much love, I wasn't referring to you hating, but I've seen a lot of hateration proliferation on these boards in the past, so I get tired of it sometimes. It is saddening for a lot of us to see what is popular in hip-hop/rap these days is commercialized up the ass and crappy to boot. Many hip-hop heads don't like what rap has become and try to search for the good in the bad.

B_F_2001: I like some gangsta rap. And I am definitely NOT trying to take away the influence that NWA had on the rap game either. If you look back to the first post I made in this thread, I own NWA's Greatest Hits album. That is one of my favorite CD's to listen to. Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, MC Ren, Yella, and Ice Cube is the best rap group(supergroup) ever. No group like the St. Lunatics, or D12 can even compare. I don't believe that there will ever be another rap group of 5 or so guys who are all as talented as NWA was. There are talented rappers among the popular and underground today. IIRC correctly isn't Kardinal Offishall a Canadian rapper? Nelly and Chingy embody the current trend of Midwest rap. While I don't own any albums by either of them, I have heard a lot of their music due to its played out status on MTV and commercial radio. I swear commercial radio pimps rap so hard these days its insane. I can understand how songs by these artists have become popular, that doesn't mean I have to like them. Maybe if I actually listened to all of their music I could find a record or two that I like, but I somehow doubt it.

OG1K69: I think it's funny that you refer to Lil Jon shouting what and ok 50 times a song. Lil Jon however is not a rapper, he's a producer. Dave Chappelle has actually made Lil Jon even more famous than he already was, I think. I think some of the beats that Lil Jon has produced are fresh, but he's no rapper that's for sure. The OG gangsta rap, like NWA, was where it was at. Death Row records when The Chronic came out and Snoop's 1st CD, Doggystyle, came out, had the market cornered on gangsta rap. Those were classic joints that represented gangsta rap. Nowadays, 50 cent and G-Unit are really popular. These "gangsta rap" artists are nowhere near as talented as NWA and early Dre and Snoop. But, it's popular right now, and played out, so whenever I turn the radio on a station that plays hip-hop/rap, I hear it. I am a big Outkast fan. I have most of their albums and my favorite is Aquemini. I think they have continued to be cutting edge and different, and right now they are getting much more airplay than they ever were before. Personally, I hate The Black Eyed Peas. Not because they produce bad music necessarily, but as an avid watcher of SportsCenter on ESPN, that damn Let's Get It Started song they used to pimp the NBA playoffs was played out so much I couldn't stand The Black Eyed Peas anymore. The only song I like of theirs for some reason is "Hey Mama", and I don't really know why. I think I just like the beats on that track. I also don't
  8. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    IIRC correctly isn't Kardinal Offishall a Canadian rapper?

Yes he is Canadian and one of the most popular up here. Although it seems like he's disappeared for a few years now. Everyone's just waiting for his next album, Firestarter Volume 2, to come out. He worked with quite a few people on it like The Neptunes and Pharaohe Monch.

One last comment I have to make is that I really think Kanye West is a very talented producer/rapper, and I really like his music from College Dropout, but he's the epitome of MTV and radio pimping something way too much and playing it out. I get so aggravated to hear Kanye on the radio these days because it lessens his impact on me, it almost makes me think of him less. I just really wish that a talented individual like Kanye wasn't getting pimped by the music industry. [shaking head]

Kanye has said that he's always liked commercial music. Hell, he even said that he liked Vanilla Ice.

As far as To The 5 Boroughs goes, I have not picked it up but would really like to. However there are a few other albums I've been meaning to get for quite some time. As always for me I don't have money so it might be a while before I get anything. Hopefully I'll get a job this summer.
  9. handzik Force Ghost

star 5
    I also agree with DB420 about spitting verses in Polish would be dope, however, if you aren't really comfortable rapping then it's cool.

How about I just give you an example from one of my favourite artists?

Znam pare grzechów, zyja w czlowieku,
    ojcze wysluchaj, bo mam pare tu.
    Jestem pyszny, bo bywa,
    ze pycha wypycha mój mózg kiedy slysze tomy,
    rymy z ust.
    A to atut - nulizmatyka,
    sluchaj grzesznika - chciwego meczennika.
    To mna to to notatnika wtyka rymownika.
    Pragne wiecej, dokladnie wiecej pragne,
    ojcze skaz mnie, bo wlasnie na tej tasmie
    zakazilem w calym pasmie bity brudem.

That's from Wiecej Grzechów Nie Pamietam by Trzeci Wymiar. Just don't ask me to translate because it completely looses any sense or meaning than.

Edit: and I've been trying to get my hands on any Nas CD but so far haven't been able to find any here. I'll have to order some online which is extremly frustrating.

10. DarthBane420 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Even though I don't understand a word of it that is dope my man. Hell yeah.

As far as Canadian rappers go, Kardinal is ok but whenever I talk to my mates in Canada they tell me people are still loyal to the band I loved also.
    Swollen Members
    Those guys spit some fire.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Even though I don't understand a word of it that is dope my man. Hell yeah.

Hehe, yes I agree. ;)

Swollen Members are great. I don't know one person, who likes Rap, that doesn't like them. They would be the most likely group to get exposed in the USA.
  12. comet1440 Force Ghost

star 4
    rap is getting bigger and bigger .
  13. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I picked up Jedi Mind Tricks' Violent By Design Deluxe Edition CD last week and it's awesome. I wanted to get Visions Of Gandhi but the store didn't have it so I said "What the hell I'll get it" plus it comes with a DVD too. Their new album, Legacy Of Blood, is coming out Sept 21.
  14. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just bought tickets on Sunday morning to go see Nas perform at the historic Fillmore in San Francisco on November 16th.
  15. Darth-Bradius Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    when is the new Nas album out , heard the new song yesterdy on radio1
  16. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    according to Nas' official website, the album is scheduled to be released November 30. However, as with all albums, the date can be pushed back or moved up to combat bootlegging, I originally heard that the album was supposed to come out in September, but it obviously didn't.

I'm not sure if this will be accurate, but I got a tracklisting for Street's Disciple and some cover art.

Street?s Disciple Tracklisting:

1. Get Up
    2. Nazareth Savage
    3. Play On Playa
    4. Just A Moment
    5. Serious
    6. Rest Of My Life
    7. You Know My Style
    8. Titalating
    9. Reason
    10. American Way
    11. Sekou Story
    12. Suicide Bounce
    13. Street's Disciple PT. 1
    14. Rakim Bio
    15. Remember The Times
    16. Perfect *****
    17. Getting Married
    18. Bridging The Gap
    19. War
    20. Me & You
    21. No One Else In The Room
    22. Live Now

BONUS TRACKS:
    23. Disciple
    24. Thief's Theme
    25. Thief's Theme UK Remix feat. Rising Son

Cover:
    link
  17. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Why is Thief's Theme a bonus track if it's the first single? :confused:
  18. BarryBonds25 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have no idea. I'm not even certain that this is the official tracklisting or cover art, but my friend got this information from another site so I thought I'd put it here.
  19. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I was thiking the same thing. Thief's Theme is the only Nas song I've heard on the airwaves down here so far, so I guessed it was just the first single, but it seems strange to put it as a bonus track.
  20. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    The JC's biggest NaS Stan is in the house.

Basically Theifs Theme was a street single, which had nothing to do with Street's Disciple. But it got alot of hype, so they threw it on the album. The first single is Bridging the Gap Ft. Olu Dara, Nas' father. The video has been playing for like a month now. His dad is a Mississipi (sp) Blues Hall of Famer, so its a very old school blues type track. Very different.

Anyways cop this album nov. 30, its gonna be the album of the year.

=============
    Comic Book Guy
  21. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    Do we have a ranking of greatest mainstream rappers? Here's some of my ideas in no particular order...

1. Nas
    2. Eminem
    3. Dr. Dre
    4. Eazy E
    5. Snoop Dogg
    6. Mase
    7. Tupac Shakur
    8. Jay-Z
    9. Ice Cube
    10. Chuck D
  22. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I wouldn't put Mase on that list.
  23. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    Busta Rhymes and DMX belong on that list before Mase and Dre do. (I love Dre, but he's a much better producer than he is MC)
  24. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    He's the one I expected controversy over, but I think Mase is tight. He's probably the best lazy rapper out there with the exception of Snoop, and that counts for a lot.
  25. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Well the word mainstream kills the whole thing, because then you have to add Ja Rule and MC Hammer.

Nas is number 1 though, because no one else has a better balance of mainstream, political, gangster, and conscious rap better than him.

===========
    Comic Book Guy