main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    No wrong on both counts. He had no beef with The Source when SSLP and MMLP both dropped. Also The Source have always gone back to revise reviews for albums what they feel have become classic, such as Chronic 2001 recently getting its 5 Mics. They can admit to their mistakes. Everyone knows that illmatic is seen as the greatest hiphop album of all time, its not seen a something "subjective". You can say what you like about the source, Interscope has tried to make their name mud, but it is a fact that it really is the hiphop bible, and until a few years back (with the Made Men fiasco) it was the most comprehensive reviewer of hiphop albums. XXL, Rolling Stone, or Vibe hold no weight.

How do you know he didn't have beef with Benzino when SSLP and MMLP dropped? I have read many issues of the Source and often agree with their mic ratings and I agree that it is the most comprehensive reviewer of hip hop albums, but I wouldn't call it the hip hop bible. Illmatic is definitely the greatest hip hop album of all time and is a classic, which is not subjective, but I'm just tryin' to say not everyone agrees with the mic ratings.

The problem i have with a thread as general as this is that everyone starts riding Eminem, and every other rapper is seen as worse. Mosh is too little, too late. The song has absolutly no snare. Also the video came out last week, doesnt he realise that voter registrarion ended weeks back. Most people here think Eminem is amazing for doing a political track, well no offence but the likes of Immortal Technique, NaS and Pharoahe Monch have been doing it for years. Jadakiss has made it "cool and acceptable" for political songs in recent months, and Eminem is just jumping on to the bandwagon. Having said that, cant wait for his album, will probably be one of the better releases (although probably not as good as Red Light District or Street's Disciple).

I didn't create this thread to be a place for Eminem ****-riding, I created it as a place where people could come and intelligently discuss hip hop music and avoid the rest of the people who hate on what they don't know. I agree that Mosh is a good video, but why couldn't this have been the first single, released in August or something? I don't think Em is amazing for doing a political track, but the millions of teenage white kids who want to rebel against their parents think Em's amazing doing whatever he does. It's like Eminem has a bunch of sheep that follow him. From what I've heard of Em's album so far(Just Lose It, Mosh), it seems wack. I have been anticipating Street's Disciple for so long now and am going to see Nas on Nov. 16th in concert, I can't wait for that. Em knows how to put out ish that will move units, but with the skills he has he still doesn't care enough about putting together a classic album. I am a Fab fan and am looking forward to hearing his album, but when I clicked the links you provided none of them worked. I really liked Fab's first CD, and Street Dreams was ehhhh like a 3.5 out of 5 to me while I thought Ghetto Fabolous was a 4-4.5 out of 5 album. Luda better come correct with his next album, because after how much I enjoyed Word of Mouf, Chicken and Beer was mostly wack. I bought Chicken and Beer when it came out and was pretty disappointed with it.

I'm also really feeling Bridging The Gap. I like the blues influence on the song. The video is old school too.

2. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    The new Nas collabo with AZ from Street's Disciple, Serious is lyrical FIRE. We goin' back to Nasty Nas with this one.

LINK

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    As Barry said, the links aren't working and I'm having no luck downloading it myself.

4. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't know how long this link will be active for but HERE

I am a big fan of Fab's first album, but after listening to this once, I don't like it that much...maybe if I listen to it another couple times it'll grow on me, but I doubt it.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Looks like I'm too late. Thanks for the link though I just wanna listen to Breathe. ;)

6. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Barry ill reply to your post in depth later, cos im listening to the new Snoop album, that just leeked:

http://www.sohh.info/audio/Snoop_Dogg_R&G_Rhythm_and_Gangsta_The_Masterpiece-2004-ult/

Props to me :p

I got that Nas/AZ yesterday, song is a banger. Also Nas and AZ have confirmed they are doing an LP together, its gonna be straight classic. Theyre shopping for a deal at the moment.
    Jazzy i'll hook you up with Breathe on MSN sometime son.

=============
    Comic Book Guy

7. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    BTW both this album and Fabs is not confirmed as the final album, but its about 90% right. They may add more tracks/change the order of tracks.

I also got the new Ja Rule, R&B lol. I had high hopes after hearing New York (excellent track).

Sorry bout the Fab links yesterday, but there is a download limit. I posted them on another forum as well, so they got leeched.

============
    Comic Book Guy

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Jazzy i'll hook you up with Breathe on MSN sometime son.

Okie dokie but I'm not your son. [face_plain] :p

9. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    Man, if Nas and AZ put out an entire album of material half as good as Serious it'll be an instant classic. Nas and AZ murdered this Serious joint, and it's almost as good as Life's A Bitch. Now that it's November, only 15 more days until I see Nasty Nas in concert!

10. -VAMPIRE-

-VAMPIRE- Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    How many doods you know roll like dis???

Not many ... if any ... not many ... if any.

11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Fab's Breathe was the joint of the year.......for about 4 listens, Fab's whole style gets played out faster than JLO's husbands. Dude is a tired out Ma$e clone who couldn't say something original to save his life, his new album sounds like he's covering his favorite rappers tracks or something.

New Nas should be dope, latest Kweli & Mos's are both trash (seriously Mos, 5 years and this is all you could come up with?).

Eminem is beyond pathetic (Michael Jackson? Little boys?) and Dre needs to get back together with Snoop and ditch 50 & them for Detox, Game's alright though.

Speaking of Snoop, he needs to get back together with Dre if he wants me to keep on supporting him; Drop it Like it's Hot is fire but word is that his latest album sucks.

12. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    How do you know he didn't have beef with Benzino when SSLP and MMLP dropped? I have read many issues of the Source and often agree with their mic ratings and I agree that it is the most comprehensive reviewer of hip hop albums, but I wouldn't call it the hip hop bible. Illmatic is definitely the greatest hip hop album of all time and is a classic, which is not subjective, but I'm just tryin' to say not everyone agrees with the mic ratings.

Actually Benzino barely had any say in the Source back then, and back in those days Eminem had beef with XXL. Peep Em's lyrics in MMLP, something like "XXL XXL, i said your name, your magazine might sell". And now XXL is riding shady/aftermath/g-unit. They on the cover every other month.
    You lucky bum, i wish i was going to a Nas concert...even if he did have one here, I wouldnt have anyone to go with . Bla
    Chicken and Beer is much better on 2nd listen actually. I went back to it recently, and its good. Red Light District will be much better because he is going back to all his old producers, as well as Neptunes, & Timbo who he makes great songs with.

Less than a month for Street's Disciple. Scratch magazine just rated it 9 out of 10, cant wait. We had to wait 2 years for this album. The good news is he is releasing another album next summer, a sort of Street's Disciple 2...alot of the songs on this album were cut, because they didnt fit the tone of this album.

Okie dokie but I'm not your son.

you in denial son.

Meh at all the Fab hate, I also used to think he was a Mase clone, until i actually bothered listening to his flow. No other rapper can flow double sylables (sp) like he does.
    Game is gonna be the next 50 Cent/Eminem/Dre type artist (i.e. sell millions of records on that lable)

I dont really get the Snoop hate either, people saying this album sucks. But all his albums have sucked since he left Death Row, and he hasnt worked with Dre for 2 albums now. I think its time to move on and accept he will drop a few hot singles every few years.

============
    Comic Book Guy

13. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    As for Talib and Mos, both are meant to be dissapointing albums. I really loved Quality, but i honestly have not had the chance to listen to his new album. Mos' album is good, but alot people don't get it, its just way too different. He doesnt really rap that much, he's sort of doing what Andree did on the Love Below. Critically this album is getting great reviews. Personally i prefer Mos Def the rapper.

Anyone heard Cormega, The Sage Remix? Amazing track.

Also for anyone interested these are the tracks that have leaked from Street's Disciple (or have been released), I'll hook you people up with any you havnt heard:

The Thief's Theme
    Good Morning (love this track)
    Disciple (old school goodness)
    Bridging the Gap Ft. Olu Dara
    Serious Ft. AZ
    You Know My Style

Other Tracks Nas has released this year:
    On The Real 2004 (from Illmatic re-release, dope)
    Star Wars (amazing track from the re-release)
    Imagine Ft. Pitbull and John Lennon (this will never get released because of sampling problems, but its great. You probably wont find a good quality version though)
    Breathe and Westside Story Freestyle
    Also the 4 remixes from Illmatic re-release. I Love The World Is Yours Remix.

I'm probably forgetting a few.
    Also i probably got every Nas unreleased Nas track ever, as well as Remix tracks, collaborations, and Mixtapes, i got a several hundred Nas songs on my hard drive.

============
    Comic Book Guy

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Mwuahahah, i just found Obi_Frans on SOHH.com/forums, he even using the same J Lo diss on Fab :p

http://www.sohh.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1051206151&postcount=2

LOL sweet talking Geniey:
    http://www.sohh.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514942

Atta boy.

============
    Comic Book Guy

15. Gabriel-Sama

Gabriel-Sama Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2004
    Anyone here like any rappers from NY?

16. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    WTF? Most of the rappers we talk about are from NY...

============
    Comic Book Guy

17. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Anyone every listened to rapper/poet Sage Francis? He's the only hip-hop I'll allow myself to listen to considering he writes about ISSUES and most rappers talk about "cash money", degrading women, and are anti-law enforcement. [face_whistling]

<[-]> Saber

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Also for anyone interested these are the tracks that have leaked from Street's Disciple (or have been released), I'll hook you people up with any you havnt heard:

The Thief's Theme
    Good Morning (love this track)
    Disciple (old school goodness)
    Bridging the Gap Ft. Olu Dara
    Serious Ft. AZ
    You Know My Style

Other Tracks Nas has released this year:
    On The Real 2004 (from Illmatic re-release, dope)
    Star Wars (amazing track from the re-release)
    Imagine Ft. Pitbull and John Lennon (this will never get released because of sampling problems, but its great. You probably wont find a good quality version though)
    Breathe and Westside Story Freestyle
    Also the 4 remixes from Illmatic re-release. I Love The World Is Yours Remix.

Bridging The Gap, On The Real, and Star Wars are all at Art Of Rhyme

The latter two are near the bottom of the page.

19. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    most rappers talk about "cash money", degrading women, and are anti-law enforcement

God i am so sick of this ignorant statement that people who dislike hiphop always say. If you cant be bothered to get of your lazy butt and look for decent artists, dont moan about the ones you see on MTV. Pick up Mos Def. Pick up Talib Kweli. Pick up Immortal Technique. Pick up dead prez. Pick up KRS-One. I dont go around saying that all rock groups are crap compared to 1970's rockers, because the only rock i see is the stuff they put on channels like MTV. Or I dont complain about how all rock groups make music which is neo-suicidal because their white, middle-class angst is about to kill them. Music evolves from the lifestyles of the artist, if you dont like it, thats up to you. Just dont go around telling people who dont care.

============
    Comic Book Guy

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    ^
    Well said. Breathe is not bad. :)

21. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    Breathe is such a dope song, it's sad that Fab can't put together an album of fire like that.

On a side note, for all of you who have seen the "Drop It Like It's Hot" video, how much you guys think it cost to put this video together? It looks so plain on a white background, they probably spent less than $1000 to put it together. Not many visual effects, just Snoop and Pharrell standing around in front of a blank background for the majority of the video. It's still a hot song, but like most hot songs, it'll get played out quick.

Fab verses: Like most men I love to catch up with a model// But I ain?t used to movin? slow like ketchup in a bottle

You know I'm that type that be crushin an merkin
    Have ladies touchin the herkin and, blushin and smirkin
    Early in the morning rushin for work and

So Into You --
    I can't really explain it
    I'm so into you now, I want to be more than a friend of you now
    When they ask, I mention my baby girl in the interviews now
    And I don't bring the problems from the 90's into 2 thou'
    There's no reason to have a friend or two now
    'Cause the kid's ready to tell you how he feel in a few vow's
    Maybe, I'm speaking general now
    But girl I'ma do whatever just to keep a grin on you now
    Where I go, they wear bikini's in the winter too now
    What you think about, tan lines on the skin of you now
    Why wouldn't I wanna spend a few thou'
    On 5th Ave. shopping spree's, and them dinners to Chao's
    I ain't concerned what other men would do now
    As long as when I slide up in you, you growl
    And any dude with you, he better be a kin of you now
    And I ain't jealous it's the principle now, I'm so into you

Come on ma, it's more than a flashin'
    I woulda traded it all, in orderly fashion
    My villa in Florida we crashin'
    Just off the shore, so you can hear when water be splashin'
    The drop top three and a quarter we dashin'
    The flawless diamonds, and the border we flashin'
    The money, we oughta be stashin'
    I make sure every quarter be cashed in, I can't really explain it
    My friend be thinkin' I'm slippin', these girls be thinkin' I'm trippin'
    What kinda **** he be smokin', what type of drinks he be sippin'
    Sweet thing, just to think of you dippin'
    Would have me with the blue's so hard, you would think I was crippin'
    Now, you relaxin' in the Benz, credit cards with no limits
    So you don't worry about maxin' when you spend
    Ever since you've been askin' 'bout the friends
    How'd you like it if, both our name's had Jackson on the ends, uh

I don't wanna trip, but truth is
    Girl the way you cook a steak, remind me of those strips in Ruth Chris
    You love my smile, no matter how chipped my tooth is
    With you, it ain't because my whips is roofless
    Or sit on chrome dipped dub deuces
    And you ain't flattered by Canary envy es dipped Jesus'
    Other ballers look dumb when they press you, five and sixes
    You don't let them kinda numbers impress you
    Even though I was somewhat successful
    Bein' a player was becoming too stressful
    But every since, the superwoman has come to my rescue
    My winter's been wonderful, my summer's been special
    Let's fly to St. Bart, while the villa be painted
    Just so we can get really acquainted
    The love is real, there's no way it could feel like it's tainted
    But I can't really explain it, uh, yeah

Can't Let You Go --
    Uh, Uh, Uh
    Baby girl
    You know my situation
    And sometimes I know you get impatient
    But you don't put on a show to get ovations
    Take it to court and go through litagations
    And I respect you gangsta
    Treat you like a princess
    And put something on your neck to thank you
    She's my pinch hitter
    When the startin lineup ain't playin right
    I come off the bench with her
    It might sound like I'm gassin you
    But it take time to get from the back seat to the passenger
    We been creepin and sneakin
    Just to keep it from leakin
    We so deep in our freakin
    That we don't sleep on the weekend
    Wifey's a little bit uptight
    Wonderin why I keep coming home in the middle of the night
    It'll be alright if y'all bump heads it'll be a fight
    But I said it'll be alrigh

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Truly, it is sad. :p Sorry, the only Fab I've heard are his singles and I've been told his best stuff are his songs that don't get played on the radio or TV. Who am I to be dissing him, I'm listening to Mase!

(Breathe, Stretch, Shake it's a guilty pleasure ;) )

I saw the video for Mosh and it's also not bad. The art style is cool.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    On a side note, for all of you who have seen the "Drop It Like It's Hot" video, how much you guys think it cost to put this video together? It looks so plain on a white background, they probably spent less than $1000 to put it together. Not many visual effects, just Snoop and Pharrell standing around in front of a blank background for the majority of the video. It's still a hot song, but like most hot songs, it'll get played out quick.

Yeah now that I think about it, it does seem like a low budget video.

24. BarryBonds25

Nov 26, 2003
    You know all the stuff that looks/is expensive in that video, Snoop and Pharrell already own. They didn't have to rent anything it looks like. Probably all they had to do was pay some hot women to dance and the short visual effect background.

25. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    LOL wait till you see the new Destiny's Child B&W video, even more low budget.

Also RIP to Yay Area legend Mac Dre, who was murdered yesterday.

============
    Comic Book Guy