main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Official Horrorfest Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Toymaster, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    OK gang, Horrorfest is just a little over a month away, so it's time to get serious!

First of all, just so everybody knows, Horrorfest is a comic/horror show that will be taking place at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds on October 11 & 12. There will be several guests there and we will be helping out and also hosting a fan table. This will be a great opportunity for us to let people know about our group and hopefully recruit some new members!

The show is being put together by Marc Ballard of Outer Limits Comics and Larry Underwood, "Dr. Gangrene" of Chiller Cinema. Marc has had some Star Wars guests at some of his shows in the past (Peter Mayhew, Phil Brown, + others), so hopefully if there is a strong enough showing of Star Wars fans at Horrorfest, then maybe he'll look at bringing in some more SW guests sometime in the near future!

I spoke to Marc earlier today and we will be having a meeting at Outer Limits Comics with him on Tuesday, October 23 at 7:00 to discuss all of the details.

Now, here are some areas that we need to concentrate on:

Scrapbook. Shannon has volunteered to compile a Nashville After Darth scrapbook. For anyone who went to Dragon*Con, the Hothlanta Rebels had a really nice scrapbook with pictures from all of their different activities. This is the kind of thing we're shooting for. If anyone has any pictures from any activities (cookouts, parade, Dragon*Con, Line Party, etc.) that they would like to donate, please bring them to the meeting on the 23rd.

Banner. I am currently looking into the possibility of having a generic Nashvile After Darth banner made. This would be something simple and would probably just have our name, website and "Middle Tennessee's Source for the Force" on it. Something like this will probably run around $60. If anyone would like to pitch in a couple of dollars to help pay for such a banner, please let me know. I should have a definate price in the coming weeks.

Promotion. If anyone has one of the fliers that I brought to the last two picnics and can make copies for free, go for it! I dropped off a couple hundred at Dragon*Con, but most of the people coming to this show will be local. I don't plan on putting any up around town until a couple of weeks before the show because they will just get torn down or people will forget about it. A couple of weeks before the show would be a good time to start hitting the "public access" bulletin boards and dropping off stacks around town. I'm also working with Marc and Larry to help get some guests on our noon show at 4 the Friday before the show.

Costumes. We'd like to have as many members as possible present in costume (hey, it is a Halloween event!). If you don't have a costume or don't want to wear a costume, then a Nashville After Darth t-shirt will be just fine. If you don't have an N.A.D. t-shirt, then I'm sure someone would be wiling to loan you one (except for mine that says "Toymaster" on it ;) ). I do not know what kind of changing facilities will be avaiable for those that need them. We will go over this with Marc on the 23rd.

Schedules. I know that not everyone will be able to be present all day for both days. Heck, I even have to split out early on Saturday to go to a wedding. What we need to determine at this point is who will be available on what times on what days.

Fan Table. We will have our scrapbook on display as well as our banner, but we want to make sure that everyone remembers who we are! Jeff, would you be able to make us up some cards with our web site address on them? This will be a great way to bring some new folks to our site. I also have lots of cool freebies that we can hand out (stickers, etc), and I thought my old Return of the Jedi bed sheets would make the perfect table cloth!

OK, this is just the general overview and I'm sure some things will change before the show gets here. If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up! This show should be lots of fun for all of us and will be

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You can expect me to be there in my Chewbacca costume. Mike, how is your Solo costume coming.

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    this is a wonderful opportunity for this group to move ahead.there will be alot of people coming to this as outer limits will be flooding the TV and radio with ads for it.
    the hours are very short (10-4 sat. & 10-3 sun.)so anybody that can come out and help work the event will get lots of enjoyment,as an exhibitor you can usually get to the celebs a little easier for one thing.
    the 501st/RL is also going to setup there and it would be great to set up with the FF and to really give the SW fans something to check out.

One of our 501st guys maybe helping us out with the FF banner.i get banners from jennifer's work and im going to see how much it will cost to get him to make the lettering for us,then i can apply it myself.that should be alot cheaper than buying one from a store.i know whenever somebody mentions having to raise money to buy something for the group it gets real quiet so ill PM toymaster with that info,or just take care of it.

as its been stated before alot of us are 501st members AND FF members.this would be a good event for all of us to work together.the 501st has been asked to work the event in costume and man a table.this means we cant also run a FF table.i would be more than happy to help setup a joint 501st/RL/FF area but we desperately need some FF members to be there to work the event and answer questions.
    at the 501st tables our wives usually talk to interested people while we are in costume.they can answer most questions about the 501st but wont be able to do the same about FF so its imperative some FF members be on hand.

at adventure con in knoxville the TSWCG setup a really cool display of stuff.ranging from rare figs to vintage stuff.they used those cheap black plastic shelves from walmart.the display looked wonderful,i think this would be a good way to go for the FF.perhaps a couple of those units with various figs and ships or anything else you guys might have.i know you guys have TONS of awesome stuff you could bring.combine shelves of SW with a banner and a table of literature and your set.

Im looking forward to seeing all 3 groups make a strong presence.so if you can be there sign up and show up!

4. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    have some greatideas for set up as well..mike, call or e-mail me asap so I can do my part!

5. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    I already PM'ed Mike, but thought I would at least do a public post. I should easily be able to do Saturday and some on Sunday (church first though) so we'll at least have some FF representation. I'm also willing to kick in for the banner to cover my share of the expense. It would be great if we would have an image on it too. To avoid any trademark infringment, I wonder if we can use the Nashville skyline or at least the Bell South building.

6. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    This is going to be a blast!! So who's going? If your not you'll be missing a good time. Looking forward to suiting up with you fellow Nashville area Fan Force, 501st, Rebel legion members.

7. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Since it is a "HORRORFEST", is anyone planning to wear an actual Halloween costume?

8. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Everyone who has a costume is encouraged to wear it!

Banner Update: Minacia Brightstar gave me the contact info for the people that made the Hothlanta Rebels banner that some of you saw at Dragon*Con (see the front page of their site for a picture). The company is called Image Signs and they can do a 2' X 5' banner for $53 + tax, with the shipping costing approximately $15 - $20. Keep in mind that we can get a lot of use out of this banner well beyond Horrorfest (parades, shows, Ep. 3 premiere, etc.). I'm willing to pitch in twenty bucks toward the banner--would anybody else be willing to pitch in? Or does anybody know of a place that we could get one for cheaper? Skip, I know you mentioned getting a banner through Jen's work--any word on that? We need to decide pretty quickly as Horrorfest is just one month away!

Photo Album: Also don't forget, Shannon is compiling an N.A.D. photo album/scrapbook. If you have some cool pictures from one of our events but do not have doubles, you can always bring the negatives to the meeting at Outer Limits on the 23rd and we can get prints made. Jeff has some great pictures from both Dragon*Con and our last picnic that I saw just last night. We could still use some pictures from Celebration 2, the Christmas Parade, the Ep. 2 line party, etc.

9. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I can send our logo to them in whatever format they need. I have the pretty Photoshop version with lighting & shadows and I also have the more simplified version saved as vector based artwork, which means I can save it as an .eps, .ai, or .pdf I also have the "Nashville after Darth" scrolling logo in the same format as well. Evidently the Atlanta chapter overcame the copyright issue as both "Star Wars" & the Rebel logo are copyrighted by Lucasfilm. Still, you might want to send them the logo first and ask them if they can work with it. Don't ask them if they have a "problem" with it for copyright reasons. Let them bring it up IF it is an issue for them. Just make sure you have a back-up in case they say it is. At worst, we'll be able to produce the lettering. I'm in for a few bucks.

I don't know if I'll be able to make Horrorfest or not. I'm so busy doing work on the side right now that I can't commit to going at this time. I'll just have to play it by ear.

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i heard back from my 501st guy today,he can make us the lettering abd we could apply it to a banner.but your price sounds very reasonable.plus i was only going to do plain lettering.
    id go in for 10 bucks on it at least.
    thats about half so who else is in?

and yes scruff,i am wearing a non- SW costume at the horrorfest.of coarse vader will be there too.

11. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I'll pitch in $10.

12. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I can't make it Saturday due to the wedding of a close friend. I will be there in stormtrooper armor all day on Sunday.

13. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    at this point I plan on making the 11th.

14. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    According to the flyer I have, the hours are 10-6 on Saturday and 10-4 on Sunday. Right now it looks like I will be there for the set-up on Saturday, then I have to go to a wedding but I may be back before the day's over. I'm working on getting Sunday off all day so I'll have to see what happens.

As far as ideas for the table, I also have the sheet that tells how to make an oragami (did I spell that right?) X-Wing. Might be cool to do like the Fan Force table at Dragon*Con and have some pre-cut sheets of paper so people can make them. Just a thought.

Scott, I have e-mailed the lady about the banner to find out which format they will need our logo in. According to Mandy, they are really great people to deal with so I think we'll go with them. Glad to hear we have some folks willing to pitch in!

15. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    just realized I can't go to the horrerfest meeting if it's as far away as I think- kylie has dance that night out in antioch until 7 so if anyone wants to bring me pics, you will have to do so by either mail- pm me for address- or maybe dylan, if he goes, can collect them for me as he lives near me-I have to also say to make a quality album...I need more than a couple of days, it culd take me a week's worth of work, and I don't have a prob doing it- I love that sort of thing- but I would like to make it something we can be proud of, so the earlier i can get pics, the better-
    please include names,dates, and places of the events so I can do captions...
    call or pm me!

had to edit because ralized what a horrible typist I am!

16. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Since some of us were talking about swapping some Dragon*Con pics anyway, maybe we could get a small group together sometime in the next week so that you can get started. How about a lunchtime thing on Saturday?

17. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I have put in for the weekend off, so I plan to be there in costume both days.

Toymaster- I will throw in $20 for the banner.

18. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Just a little FYI for the banner:

Our "official" logo uses several shades of blue (in other words, its shaded). Image Signs can do shaded logos on banners, but it will cost more. We simply decided to use one shade of blue for our banner logo and it worked out just fine. We are extremely happy with our banner.

If you have a logo that features more than two colors prominently, you may have to modify it, as the $53 + tax cost is only for two, non-shaded colors. But, as I said, that worked out just fine for us. At any rate, Image Signs was the cheapest and friendliest sign folks I ran across when we began to get quotes for a banner. And the quality of the banner is just as good or better than many other banners I have run across.

Okay, I'm done rambling now. ;)

19. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm in for the banner (whichever options is best for us) and can swing at least $10. If we needed to get together this weekend to compile pictures I'm cool with that. Just give me a time or place.

Don't necessairly have a costume in mind yet, but I'm wondering Scruff if you think Delta needs to make an appearance?

I should be able to do all day on Saturday (Mike let me know how I can help with set-up) and at least Sunday afternoon.

20. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    just saw that the horrorfest is having a costume contest sunday that will be judged by the celebs.i guess ill have to wait till sunday to debut my latest creation.

that will be a great day for everyone to wear a costume.regardless of its caliber,there are alot of talented costumers around here that can give you pointers without insulting your efforts.so dont be afraid ,come on out and have fun.

21. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    who's availible for lunch sat afternoon to discuss horrerfest and swap pics from dcon and other nashvillefoce events?

22. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Well today kinda snuck up on us...how about tomorrow at 1:30 at the Opry Mills food court? Can anybody make that for a photo swap?

23. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Sunday afternoon would be better for me.

24. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    I guess that's ok, I was hoping for Sat as I have the day off- but I don't have to work until 3:30 sothat should work out...

25. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    I was wondering if the Saturday meet was going to happen? :) But anyways, Sunday would be fine for me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.