main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official 'Indiana Jones on DVD' Thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by eclipseSD, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Excerpt from article in Wall Street Journal:

Q. "E.T." is finally out on DVD after a long wait. Fans of Indiana Jones are hoping "Raiders of the Lost Ark" won't be far behind, but Paramount is mum. Can you fill us in?

A. We're aiming for next fall. George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount. Paramount wants to come out with all three [Indiana Jones] movies in one package. George [writer and producer of "Raiders"] and I want to come out with one film at a time and then come out with all three movies, and maybe even the fourth one, in one package later. (Paramount says there is no argument and discussions are ongoing.)

[color=indigo]Thread title changed by request[/color]

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Sounds like Lucas and Spielberg are going the way which would make more money, while Paramount is doing the opposite. What odd behavior for a studio.

Amazing.

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Either way, I just wish they would hurry up. I saw the first three in a package today and really wanted to get them there and then.

4. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Sounds like Lucas and Spielberg are going the way which would make more money, while Paramount is doing the opposite. What odd behavior for a studio.

Actually, Paramount's plan would make more money for them. Consider last years Godfather collection set. By packageing all 3 GF films on DVD together, it's forcing customers to buy GF3 which is considered the weakest of the series. If Paramount released each film seperately, sales for GF 3 would decrease. It's the same situation with Indy. More customers would buy Raiders than Temple of Doom and Last Crusade if released seperately.

5. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Actually, Paramount's plan would make more money for them. Consider last years Godfather collection set. By packageing all 3 GF films on DVD together, it's forcing customers to buy GF3 which is considered the weakest of the series. If Paramount released each film seperately, sales for GF 3 would decrease. It's the same situation with Indy. More customers would buy Raiders than Temple of Doom and Last Crusade if released seperately."

That's true, but you know there are people out there who'd buy each one as it came out, then buy the full collection once it was released, if they did it that way. They'd also probably include extras in the complete set that wouldn't be included on the individual discs, so as to entice people to buy it.

Amazing.

6. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    That's true, but you know there are people out there who'd buy each one as it came out, then buy the full collection once it was released, if they did it that way.
    They'd also probably include extras in the complete set that wouldn't be included on the individual discs, so as to entice people to buy it.

Yes, but these people would be outnumbered by the many others who just want individual films, or just one (Raiders). Besides, there's no proof that the box set will include more extras, except possibly Indy 4 (which will no doubt be sold seperately.)

Amazing.

No, not really.

7. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Yes, but these people would be outnumbered by the many others who just want individual films, or just one (Raiders)."

Outnumbered, yes. But they exist. And why do you assume people just want Raiders? Last Crusade is incredibly popular, too. And there's something to be said of having a complete set of anything.

"Besides, there's no proof that the box set will include more extras"

Have you ever known a boxed set that didn't include more extras? Just think of what the boxed set of Episodes I-III will have included to make us fanboy-folk buy it in addition to already owning each individually (for those who own Eps. I and II, of course). To not include more extras would be foolish. More extras means more people buy it, which means more money.

Amazing.

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The extras in the boxed set are rarely different editions of the DVDs. Usually it's just some extra DVD with "making of" documentary footage.

9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Selling the films as a boxed set is a scam; as others have said, it forces you to purchase all three films even if you didn't like one (or two) of them. For example, I would only buy ROTLA and TOD, not LC, because I didn't like LC. By putting them in a boxed set, you don't have a choice...I also question this whole argument between Lucas and Paramount; it could be just a rumor, as is a lot of things reported on the Internet....

10. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    So I'm guessin the DVDs are already done and these money-hungry fools are just deciding on how to sell them?

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'd be happy if they released a 3-pack of DVD's.

12. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    There is also a rumour that the OT DVDs are coming out next year. The rumour comes from some comments made about Hasbro releasing new action figures next year because of the possible release of the original films on DVD.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    In most cases, when a multipack is offered, the individual DVDs are also offered. You can see this with Bond and Star Trek collections.

Typically though, buying the multipack is cheaper than buying each individual DVD separately, and if you only don't like one, it's not a big cost difference from the collection versus the individuals minus one.

15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think this argument between LUcas/Spielbeg and Paramount has to do with extras.

Paramount probably wants to sloppily release a boxset, that is basically a barebones set just to make as much money as possible.

With Lucas' recent track record with DVDs, he is definetly pushing for releasing them individually so they can make each release as special as possible with a ton of extras that are great just like TPM and AOTC DVDs.

Lucas only strives for the best presentation possible.

16. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That's agood argument about the extras and Paramount, just see the abysmal work they did on the new special edition of the Star Trek DVDs, which are supposed to be one of their tentpoles.

17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Actually I think Temple of Doom would be the weakest seller.

18. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Steven Spielberg is dropping more Indy DVD hints again
    thedigitalbits.com

Well... director Steven Spielberg' is dropping more Indy DVD hints again. This time, he suggested to Variety that the release of Indy 4 to theaters would be "synchronized" to the release of the first three films on DVD. The article further mentions 2005 as the theatrical release year for Indy 4. So the idea seems to be that Raiders hits DVD in 2003, Temple of Doom arrives on disc in 2004 and Last Crusade shows up in early 2005, just before the new film hits theaters. This would be supported by previous Spielberg comments about the first film arriving on DVD next year. Keep your fingers crossed...

19. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Very cool. I forsee the OT going through a similar phase after Episode 3.

20. McCoy

McCoy Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2002
    They will probably make a a DVD six pack of the Star Wars movies.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Well... director Steven Spielberg' is dropping more Indy DVD hints again. This time, he suggested to Variety that the release of Indy 4 to theaters would be "synchronized" to the release of the first three films on DVD. The article further mentions 2005 as the theatrical release year for Indy 4. So the idea seems to be that Raiders hits DVD in 2003, Temple of Doom arrives on disc in 2004 and Last Crusade shows up in early 2005, just before the new film hits theaters. This would be supported by previous Spielberg comments about the first film arriving on DVD next year. Keep your fingers crossed...

Looks like they listened to me. ;)

22. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Do we know what Indy 4 is going to be called yet.
    I have the Indy trilogy on video.
    If they release the 3 on DVD a year apart that would just pi$$ the fans off. THey should just release them all seperatley or in a boxed set with a space for Indy 4 on DVD just like the big Bond DVD set.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The 3 Indy movies represent a big hole in my DVD collection :( But let's hope 2003 brings us some more good news!

I agree with what Amazing said about releasing box sets. Stores can justify a higher price tag on a box set because of the spiffy packaging and all, plus it theoretically take up less shelf space than 3 separate titles. I know I wouldn't have bought Back to the Future 3, so in a way, I ended up spending $45 on two movies in that set. Same goes for the Godfather movies. However, I love all three IJ movies, so the box set won't really be an issue for me.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    IMO, Last Crusade would be the worst in terms of sales. I watched this night before last. I don't think I've ever seen a worse movie.

Brody seems to have suffered some sort of mental breakdown, the female lead is more irritating than anything else, the Nazis really don't seem all that dangerous, and I'm sick of seeing these "Bunch of Arabs out in the desert protecting the ark of the covenant/holy grail/world from mummies/back issues of Mad Magazine" groups in films. Even the music isn't as good as the last two films.

25. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I think all the Indy movies are great.But they are all different.

Raiders is the greatest adventure movie ever. It is a crowd pleaser.

Temple of Doom is a darker adventure with serious overtones and not as much humor as Raiders.

The Last Crusade is more like a screwball comedy adventure. With the differeces between father and son providing much of the humor.

I don't care how they release them. One at a time or three pack. All that i hope for is that they just release them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.