main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official 'Indiana Jones on DVD' Thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by eclipseSD, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm pretty excited about this set. I'm really looking forward to that 4th disc.

2. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes I heard about Spielbeg not doing audio commentaries, but I was hoping he might make an exception with Indiana Jones. And even then, we could have gotten one from Lucas and Ford.

3. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I can kind of understand why they wouldn't do audio commentary tracks. Supposedly, the 4th disc will handle all that stuff.

4. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The lack of commentary really doesn't bother me. I'm used to it with Spielberg, as he prefers his films to not have commentaries. I would have been surprised had there been any on this set, and I certainly knew Spielberg himself would never do one. My way of looking at it is that if someone doesn't want to do one, they shouldn't, as listening to somebody talk who doesn't want to talk is very rarely interesting.

Really looking forward to this set. I just want the movies, and as far as I'm concerned, the extra disc is an unnecessary bonus. I don't need these discs to be feature packed for me to get excited about them. I'm excited about them just because of the movies themselves, which is all that really should matter to begin with.

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree with you. I'm really looking forward to seeing the quality of these movies. I think we can get a good idea how Star Wars will look when it's remastered by checking out this Indiana Jones set.

6. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Finally!

Thing I'm happy about: No commentaries! I hate the things. Why watch a perfectly good movie with someone speaking over it when you can watch a feature about it instead?

Thing I hate: No. Individual. Discs. [face_plain] I just wanted Raiders, now it looks like I'm stuck with ToD and TLC. [face_plain]

7. Ultimate_Jedi

Ultimate_Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2003
    I have officially found out that all three movies will come out in a box set along with a fourth disc of bonus materials. It will be called the Adventures of Indiana Jones and is set for a Nov.4 2003 release!!!!! Yay!!!!!

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No way!

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

"...I'm glad you're here to tell us these things..."

10. JangoxFett

JangoxFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    Thing I hate: No. Individual. Discs.

I think they will at a later date be out as single's. but knowing lucasfilm it could be a few years later. IMO.

I am glad to hear about this box set. I look forword to Nov. And my B-day is in Nov too! It's like a Gift to Myself. :)

11. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Why the heck did they change the name of the first movie? The movie I saw in theatres was called "Raiders of the Lost Ark," period. Good old George "revisionist history" Lucas is at it again!

12. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    Probably some of these DELTED SCENES will make it onto the Bonus-DVD.

RAIDERS-DL

DOOM-DL

CRUSADE-DL

I also would have loved to listen to a Lucas/Kasdan ROTLA commentary track, but you can´t have everything ... :(

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Someone reads too much Aint it Cool News... don't they? What's the big deal about adding Indiana Jones to the title of Raiders?

14. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    They already did it on the VHS set released four years ago. It's still just called RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in the title sequence, so relax.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Why the heck did they change the name of the first movie?

Because they want all the films to have consistent titles in the manner of the old action seriels they pay homage to. So calling it "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" makes perfect sense because otherwise, it would be the only film without the name "Indiana Jones" in the title.

As for being "revisionist history", do you people even know what that term means?

16. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    From the IMDB trivia page for TOD:

While filming the whipping scene, the crew played a practical joke on Harrison Ford. Chained to a large stone, Barbra Streisand appeared, dressed in a leather dominatrix outfit. She proceeded to whip him, saying "That's for Hanover Street (1979), the worst movie I ever saw." She continued whipping him for Star Wars (1977), and making all of that money. Carrie Fisher then threw herself in front of Ford to protect him, and Irvin Kershner chided director Steven Spielberg. "Is this how you run your movies?" This entire sequence was filmed.

I dunno about you guys, but I'd LOVE to see this on the discs. Too bad it'll never make it.

I'm really disappointed by the lack of extras. No commentaries (come ON Steven!), no deleted scenes, and according to TOS it'll be "10 hours of material including the movies" :_| So in other words, we'll be getting a whopping 5 hours or so of extras. If The Phantom Menace can get over 8 hours of material, I think they can manage to give THREE of the most beloved movies of all time the deluxe treatment they really deserve.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    As has been said the "Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Arc" title is on the ARTWORK only, the film itself is still just "Raiders of the Lost Arc".

It has been this way since the VHS release several years back.

18. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Hey

jp-30

Its Raiders of the lost ark not arc

PS:Anyone know what the bonus disk contains?

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey

indy3

It's Bonus Disc not Bonus Disk

:p

And it contains;

It includes newly produced, exclusive documentaries that explore the making of these memorable films, including brand-new interviews with the cast and crew ? including Spielberg, Ford and Lucas ? plus scores of other surprises from all three films...

Paramount and Lucasfilm also scoured their archives to find just the right material to add to the DVD. "We knew we had to deliver the goods Indy fans wanted with a quality beyond anything they expected," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "In addition to the films themselves, of course, this collection explores every facet of how the films were made ? from stunts to visual effects to the music and sound. We take viewers around the world to explore the history behind the Indiana Jones legends. It?s been great to work with Steven and George on a project that means so much to them, and having them involved on the DVD collection really makes it special."

20. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    but isnt it
    spelled disc and disk
    or is disc a compact cd and disk is like a floppy disk

uh??

LOL

21. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I was hoping more info on the extras. Sure they say they'll cover everything, but how about how many featurettes and on what specific topics. Back when the movie came out there was a special on the stunts for the first film, is that going to be included or a new one made?

And yes having no commentary is a bit of a downer. Even if you don't have Spielberg and Lucas doing them you can always get cast and production people like Harrison Ford, Phil Kaufman, Lawrence Kasdan, Dennis Muren, etc. There are several movies like that (JP3 commentary come to mind).

22. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    From E! Online:

"One highlight is a deleted fight between Indy and a Cairo swordsman
    that Spielberg spent days choreographing only to have Ford--under
    the weather because of a stomach virus--improvise and just shoot the
    baddie, which wound up in the finished Raiders and was one of the
    best-remembered moments. The full scene has been resurrected for the
    DVD."

COOL

23. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    Definitely! That poor stuntguy had to train for months to wield that sword. After all these years he finally gets his show off in the big scene.

24. SnorreSturluson

SnorreSturluson Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Well I´d be happy with "just" 4 hours of extras too, if that´s not just some cheap promo crap.
    Well, the "extras all on one disc policy" worked with the godfather set too, so Paramount obviously didn´t think about changing it.
    IMO it´s better not to spread the extras.
    Also LFL and Paramount will be under a lot of pressure. If those DVDs aren´t worth the money they´re boned.
    Why do people always say ToD or TLC are worse than Raiders. Yeah, Raiders is a bit darker and Indy´s not even (really) the good guy, but IMO the others are equal to that. Indy´s dark side is shown there too.

25. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    Yeah, Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie. It has my favorite quote:"Mola Ram, prepare to meet Kali. IN HELL!!" Indy is more of a real hero in TOD than in Raiders because he saves all those kids. In Raiders, despite all Indy's efforts, the Nazis still get the Ark of the Covenant. Only the power of God was able to defeat them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.