main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It'd have been a mistake to cast based on resemblance. Recasting works best when the new actor can capture the spirit of a character, not when they're simply looking as much like the established character as possible.

I'm still a wee bit sceptical about a Han movie with a recast Ford, but at least doing it the way they're doing means that we will just have to buy into the characterisation, not spend the film saying "well, he looks a lot like Harrison"
    I'm sure there are some outraged people who want that guy who does webcam impersonations to have the part, but I'm not at all convinced he'd have the chops to carry a film.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, he was really great in Hail, Caesar. I've been in his corner since he was first rumored.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    His name is an anagram of Han Reclined Here

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    This is how I see Alden in my head when I close my eyes, which means this is how he looks most of the time:

[​IMG]

Meh. No resemblance to Ford whatsoever. Could have casted a black or asian guy instead. As long as he captures the SPIRIT of Han, right?

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think no matter who is cast it makes little difference to the huge challenge ahead for all involved in making this work. This is arguably the trickiest of the spin offs to pull off, purely because of the actors shoes he will be stepping in to. It will also be a good tester for Disney in terms of future plans to make films about any of the other iconic characters in the saga using a recast. I'm lookingforward to it and hope it works.

corinthia, Alison Organa and Dewback like this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree with the idea that capturing the spirit of the character is more important than external resemblance. But he really does remind me much more of Brando.

Not that I care, but that's what I imagine when I see his pic.

I honestly don't mind them carving out something slightly different with some of these new films.

7. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Yep, definitely more of a Marlon Brando type.

[​IMG]

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Young Brando playing a young Han would also work, if time travel were possible...

9. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm still not on board with this movie in general even existing.... But if it's going to, I'm fine with Alden! He was by far the best candidate out of the proposed considerations. I enjoyed his work in Hail, Caesar quite a bit.

Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  10. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm gonna repost a quote from SWNN by Bifash:

"I think people complaining that "We don't need a Harrison Ford impression" will get exactly that. So not only will this new guy look nothing like Ford, but he will be doing impressions ( without which he'll likely be entirely devoid of any semblance to Han Solo ).

Would be much better to go with someone who looks like Ford in the same way they got the young Mon Mothma actress to look like the ROTJ Mon Mothma actress. One could argue that it's much, much more important to get Han Solo closer to Harrison than to get Mon Mothma ( a minor character ) right.

And let's also remember that this movie Young Han is not a reboot, but is in-continuity, so how Han can go from a short, square-faced, button-nosed man to the 6 foot plus Harrison Ford in the space of a few months or years, is just not believable."

So, yes, I'm still hoping this rumor is false.

Baron_Papanerd and HanSolo29 like this.
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I can hear a dog whistle

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Here's another quote from Page Six, the original article that "confirmed" Alden's casting, which makes me doubt the casting:

"The film won’t start shooting until January, but reports are that the early casting is because the new Solo will have a cameo in “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” which is now shooting. That film is said to be set between “Episode III” and “Episode IV.” Reps for Ehrenreich didn’t get back to us."

There's no way Han Solo will have a cameo in Rogue One. I'd say Page Six has successfully fooled the entire world. I'm keeping my fingers for Disney/Lucasfilm to debunk this.

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  13. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    The Young Indys managed to be much more believably convincing.

It should not have been that hard to find talented actors who have some semblance of similar facial shape and height (that's not asking for a clone!). Sorry, I just can't get past how much they'd have to do in the makeup trailer and a massive pair of lifts to pull this off. And yes, Young Brando would be a much better choice for this young actor. He does seem to be a good actor, but that is one button-nosed square, short face there. The '70s hairstyle will hide the widow's peak/receding hairline not matching if they go with a longer forehead-covering shag cut with bangs, but there's only so much light brown hair dye is going to do. Something with the eyebrows might get rid of another big facial dissimilarity.

Back in the '80s-'90s, they managed to find actors who, while weren't doppelgänger (believable compromises!), were both decent actors and had something even slightly facially/physically similar. Why not now?

[​IMG]

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really don't like this casting... I won't be watching this film. How jarring will it be to see this guy as Han a few years before we see him in ANH! Good lord.

Alison Organa and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  15. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Even Ansel Elgort looks more like Ford than Ehrenreich, and I thought he was a terrible choice.

I'm still shocked why they didn't pick Jack Reynor. This guy screams Ford.

[​IMG]

16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

A cameo in Rogue One has been rumoured for several months. IMO that line makes this MORE likely to be legit.

17. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    The Han Solo film will take place about 10 years before ANH, while Rogue One takes place immidiately before ANH. Which is why the Han-cameo seems a bit off.

Besides, lots of characters have been rumoured to appear as cameos in Rogue One. But, again, it's just rumors. If they really wanted to shoehorn Han into Rogue One as a background cameo, they would probably do it using CGI to de-age Harrison Ford himself, since he should look exactly like his ANH self.

Dewback likes this.
  18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Just kill me now

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I hope Han doesn't make an appearance in Rogue One, it seems unnecessary to me.

AshiusX, Boski and Dewback like this.
  20. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I can't wait to see this, although this news is 2 days late. No cameo in Rogue One, it would be Ford, as this is months before A New Hope.

21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm betting his tests were great, that's why he got the part. Whatever Miller and Lord imagine Han to be Ehrenreich nailed it, I'm sure, so bring young Han forth and let's see. Looking forward to it.

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope there's a secret appearance by Leia (played by a young actor) in Rogue One so that all the sceptics can go "The recast Leia in Rogue One wasn't to bad maybe the new Han Solo will be good too"

23. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I hope we see different bounty hunters like Dengar, Fett, etc. Also a Dash Rendar and Outrider appearance would be nice.

Boski likes this.
  24. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Ehrenreich is also good friends with Steven Spielberg, who's an important aspect of Lucasfilm.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    In what way is Steven Spielberg an important aspect of Lucasfilm?