main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I hope you're kidding. Spielberg is a long-term collaborator and friend with Kathleen Kennedy (the president of Lucasfilm and big boss) whom also produced the Indiana Jones films. Spielberg is even going to direct the next Indiana Jones film, also to be produced by Lucasfilm. Also, it's pretty well-known to everyone here that Spielberg has been a good friend and adviser to George Lucas when it comes to Star Wars during all these years.

Even though I'm not directly suggesting that Ehrenreich got the part solely because of this, his friendship with Spielberg certainly helped a bit.

You'd be naive not to admit that's how the industry works. You need contacts, that will help you succeed. For instance, Tom Holland asked Chris Hemsworth to put a good ear for him to Marvel - certainly this helped a bit on his way to get the Spider-Man part.

Baron_Papanerd and Luke02 like this.
  2. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Congratulations to Ehrenreich on getting such a coveted role in the Star Wars anthology... Now let's see how he pulls it off and at the same time, any chance of seeing the Millennium Falcon in that movie?

I may have been a long-serving spacecraft of Han Solo's but I do have my doubts that I ended up with him at such an early age!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Nope, I'm not kidding. But what you've suggested is untrue; he isnt an "aspect" of Lucasfilm - he has had worked for them in the past, and will do so in the future.
    "Aspect" doesn't describe Spielberg in relation to Lucasfilm, and Spielberg's relationship with Lucasfilm doesn't put him in a position where he could have influence above and beyond offering suggestions - basically there's no reason whatsoever to think that Spielberg contributed to this casting at the hypothetical expense of someone more suited to the role in the opinion of creatives within Lucasfilm

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    But you're so wrong. You're a very categorized person, not being able to think outside the box. Even though his not part of Lucasfilm permanent staff per se, he IS and has always been an influence on them. Heck, Spielberg even recommended JJ Abrams to Lucasfilm as director for Episode VII!

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm sure he is an influence, but yeah, I'm a stickler - he's not an aspect of Lucasfilm, and the distinction is important; if Spielberg is "an important aspect" then the implication is that he has some "say" or is someone who needs to be kept happy to some degree. When you're talking from the point of view that Alden shouldn't have been cast, this implication becomes even clearer.

So it is worth making the distinction that a friendship with Spielberg is in no way something that can be said to have got him the gig at someone else's expense; Lucasfilm will cast who they want to cast - if you simply meant that Spielberg could have suggested it, that's fine - that's not something I'd doubt. But you seem to be implying something negative.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well that was the rumor or at least the speculation for a lolling time. There have been various rumors of cameos in Rogue One that basically equate to Boshek (or Hugh Jackman in first class).

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm intending on having Han on my contribution to the banner thread - here's a preliminary sketch combining Harrison's face with Alden's - as you look, just as in the earlier image, the left side is Harrison, the right Alden

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and smudger9 like this.
  8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Only Pagesix reported on the cameo. Other big sites did not. Which leads to believe it's just that site trying to stir the rumor pot. Han really has no place in this plan, and where would he show up in a cameo that makes sense? He's most likely on Tatooine, seeing as how this takes place a day or so before ANH. Maybe he was off on a smuggler's run, but how convenient would it be for him to run into Jyn and the gang...?

I'm ok with this casting. With the press surrounding this casting for a while, no doubt Lucasfilm put a lot of thought and effort into nailing young Han. In a certain way he does look a little like Harrison, so as long as there is SOME resemblance I'm fine with it. But again, casting off looks alone shouldn't be the only factor. I'm excited for this one. And let's remember this film was George's idea.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Good choice. He looks the part.

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Woah! Alden is great - I can live with this if I have to.

Good luck and MTFBW well ... Han....

(He can do cowboy tricks like no other)...

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    This would be a great time to use the same sort of CGI they used on Tarkin to try and actually make the actor look more like Harrison Ford. Ehrenreich may be able to nail Ford's mannerisms, but he still wont be Han Solo in my eyes. I need to hear and see to believe and to accept.

I accepted Ewan's portrayal of Obi-Wan, but in general, I think DISNEY should avoid Anthology films if they can't actually use the original actor at a believable age in the Star Wars timeline; except where the actor's face is permanently hidden behind a mask throughout the film.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Scepticism is usually the first reaction with casting, especially with iconic roles such as this. But I'm sure Alden can do a good job. He wouldn't have been cast otherwise. I'm just glad a new Star Wars film is coming.

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think it's ridiculous to suggest he got the part because of some kind of favoritism from Spielberg. Thus far casting has been a strong element in the new Lucasfilm era. His tests came back as the best fit for the imaginings the directors have for a young Han Solo and not a young Harrison Ford. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

14. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002

More Alden / Hail Cesar here .. (plus non-space horse)

15. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    He's only 5'9"! The new Han Solo is now the same height as Luke. That's just going to seem weird to me since so many scenes in the OT revolve around a much shorter Luke and Leia while Han towers over them. I guess they'll put lifts in his shoes?

Edited to add: I know the newer more diminutive Han Solo will not be interacting with OT characters, but for those who say Han's height was never focused upon, it's a huge part of Harrison's physical presence, and having a shorter actor play the part really changes things on a subtle but very real level. Han's a big guy, and even in his late teens/early 20s should have been at his adult height.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm psyched that Alden Ehrenreich is going to be in a Star Wars movie. I wish it wasn't a completely unnecessary young Han Solo movie but hey if the powers that be are hell bent on making a young Han Solo movie then I'm glad they picked an actor I like.

Now what the heck are we going to see in this film? Will Han be wearing his iconic vest right from the get go? Will the movie show him getting the Millennium Falcon for the first time? Is it a story about him meeting Chewie? Will we see Lando? Will there be a Greeto reference in there? How could there not be?

Skydoll likes this.
  17. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
  18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    "Good luck, you're gonna need it" :D

Han Soloism

19. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    The cameo has been thrown around a lot. The various drafts have had various characters in cameo roles, all the way from Yoda to Jabba. It could be just that Pagesix is pulling from the old rumors and the other sites don't bother.

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Only just discovered this on the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...r-2500-actors-auditioned-20160506-goo4kd.html

'Hans' Solo? And yes, it's in the headline itself, at the time of this post.

Fairfax really needs to take a horsewhip to the idiots working for them, the moronic mistakes like this that crop up every day are beyond a joke. One flub like this - give the 'journalist' a lump of stone, a hammer, and a chisel to submit whatever they've found from the web for a month.

After, of course, the dingbat has been forced to destroy the smartphone or tablet he relies upon for spelling and grammar into a thousand pieces with his new 'devices'. Idiots.

Oh, and as far as the casting is concerned - we'll see. I guess someone has to perform the impossible. Could be fun, could be garbage.
    The only such full-blown recasting in the SW universe we've seen so far was Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, and regardless of the general perceptions of the PT overall, he was, I think, a success, particularly in ROTS. It can be done.

21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Some of you do realize we're talking about entertainment, right? These films are supposed to be fun, so why hold such rigid rules about a particular actor playing a character?

Maybe Alden can be better than Ford? Or just different and entertaining?

The OT is not the bible. It really isn't.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Burn the nonbeliever.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Exactly!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Agreed. I find the Harrison worshipping from the SW community way overdone, and it kinda makes me not care for the character with how overrated he is. People praise Harrison yet th guy can't stand the role and no doubt mocks fans in the dark. Not to say he wasn't great in the role. He is Han. But that's only because he's the only one we've seen as Han. No doubt some people thought only Alec could be Obi-Wan, yet Ewan owned the role, becoming Obi-Wan and to me being the face of the character now. This guy might just impress. I think he will.

Artoo-Dion and Dra--- like this.
  25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm pretty happy with this casting. For me, it's not about looking like Ford, it's about capturing the essence of Solo, which, by the way, nobody does better than Lawrence Kasdan. That's the real key to all of this. If you can't write Han Solo, your actor can't become him either.