main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Standing ovation to Alden for a job well done. His performance was in the same ballpark as Harrison without falling into the Sarlaac pit of trying to mimic him directly.

@MotivateR5D4 -

"So let's hope for a couple more decent performances and flesh out younger Han's days."

You mean additional Solo films?

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Different than Harrison's Han, but just as good.

MotivateR5D4 and darthgator1217 like this.
  3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This would be awesome!

4. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I thought he was the highlight of the movie. Han and Chewie had great chemistry. The part where he meets Chewie and is speaking wookie was classic.

Padme501st, jaqen, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea. This is clearly the first of what will probably be three. Unless of course the second one absolutely bombs. But I doubt that would happen. Even if it's mediocre there will still probably be a third. Can you imagine what a cash cow this will be for all the young kids getting into this hot young new hero named Han Solo? And with the overall warm reception of the first one as well as Alden's performance, they're definitely going to milk this for all it's worth. And that likely includes another two films coming.

Also keep in mind the whole competing with Marvel thing. I hate that that's now always something to consider, but it's the reality of the market now. So to compete with that, they kind of have to keep making sequels to these movies. I'm not going so far as to say they are all going to have interconnected story lines and it will be built up into this one single universe like the MCU. But I think it's likely to see sequels to some of the anthologies when it's doable and well received.

6. Smooth.cat

Smooth.cat Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2016
    Great job kid! I hope we see more of him as Han.

7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I like him a lot for this universe. He fits with SW. I hope they make more movies with him, even if I have trouble seeing him as Han. He’s very entertaining. After seeing Solo, I’m more enthusiastic for another movie in this time period, with Han showing up but not being the star.

jaqen, JawaShuffle, Ren Kylo and 4 others like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ehrenreich absolutely crushed it. I wasn't watching Harrison Ford. I was watching Han Solo.

Padme501st, jaqen, wobbits and 15 others like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo should propel Alden to stardom. I hope the entertainment media, smelling blood with the low OW Box Office, doesn't use that opportunity to tarnish Alden's reputation. This film shows what a huge talent he is, and his career should benefit significantly from it if Hollywood rewards merit.

10. manybothans

manybothans Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Alden is Han now. He earned it. People were't necessarily wrong to be skeptical, but hopefully his performance changes minds.

SunStar, wobbits, JawaShuffle and 5 others like this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    He really owned the role. I was happy when he was cast, and I am delighted by enthusiasm was rewarded!

wobbits and RiddleMeThis like this.
  12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Alden was great. He really was, and it was not an easy task. The only thing that threw me off some was that his voice is nothing like Ford's. And when Glover sounds SO MUCH like Billy Dee Williams, it is a little jarring. Maybe it's because Alden in general just talks faster than Ford?

I wonder if there's something they could have done in ADR to deepen his voice or something. IDK. Not asking for an imitation, but just an ever so slightly deeper register I think would have done the trick.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    And he owned it from the very first scene, too.

wobbits, RiddleMeThis and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I think Alden did great as Han Solo.

wobbits and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I loved Alden. But I'm wondering if that very first dialogue we hear from Han (when he's attempting to hotwire the speeder) even was Alden? It sounded like someone much younger. It made me thinkt they were digitally manipulating his voice to sound younger in the flashback but he sounds normal in the rest of the scenes.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    He really was great. I just hope the BO performance doesn’t mean it’s a one and done for him. Would love to see him again.

He could definitely appear in the Boba film (if that goes ahead). However, because of the restrictions of ANH he can’t really appear in Kenobi, or interact with any Jedi or Sith.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Generational Fan likes this.
  17. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Alden killed it as Han Solo. I want to see future adventures with him in the role, whether it be a smaller role in a future film or a direct sequel to Solo.

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think interacting with a Jedi or Sith would be much of a problem. He can't see anything that would convince him that the force exists, but interacting with a Jedi/Sith doesn't necessarily require that. In some ways he could even see some parts of the force in use, as long as it works in a way that he can attribute it to luck. It's definately something pretty delicate though.

He can't really interact with Kenobi though, as that wouldn't really work to their dialogue in ANH. Which means I don't see how he would fit in the movie beyond sitting somewhere in the background (=cameo).

19. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    There were moments in the movie when I thought Alden sounded exactly like Harrison Ford.

There's one in this clip for instance, when he's introducing himself to Lando, about 30 seconds in.

wobbits likes this.
  20. Kylo_Ben

Kylo_Ben Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2017
    Han was my favourite star wars character before Solo.

Han is my favourite star wars character after Solo.

Outstanding job. More enjoyable than Return of the Jedi Han.

Fwiw Chewie was always in my favourite few characters but TFA and Solo have projected him into 2. Hoping he gets plenty to do in IX as he was fairly minimally used in XIII.

wobbits likes this.
  21. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    My second viewing was even better than the first. I loved seeing Han's beginnings and Alden nailed it. Like many others, I was skeptical and I was happily proven so wrong.

Padme501st and wobbits like this.
  22. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    He was great. As I've already said elsewhere, he impressed me even more than Donald, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Here's a question though, do you guys think Alden will return as Han in the Boba Fett movie?
    It would make a lot of sense, to build up their dislike of each other, and since it will probably be set in the fringe criminal world perhaps we can continue the story of Han and Qi-ra and Crimson Dawn? Somehow that gets mixed up in Fett's bounty on Maul, set by Jabba who wants to take out a competitor. Could it work or would that be going too Marvel Universe?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Immortiss and Generational Fan like this.
  23. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I dearly hope that Alden does return as Han in a Boba Fett movie. Alden was brilliant as Han and it would set up the great rivalry between the two. Because when the skiff battle breaks out in ROTJ and Han says "Boba Fett ! Where's Boba Fett ?", I get the feeling that Han really knows this guy and has crossed paths with him before.

And we need more movies with Alden as Han because I feel he got better and better at being Han as the film went on. He's just getting into the groove now. I would like to see Alden's Han in every anthology film that deals with the Star Wars underworld because he will be a great supporting role to the "focus character" of that Anthology film. Actually Han and Lando would be great. And no, I don't think this would be too "Marvel" because LFL would still develop the personalities and traits of multiple characters - not just the one superhero.

Bor Gullet likes this.
  24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I do think SW is going to double down and have Han & Chewie on screen again, either in a Lando movie or a "Underworld" movie with Fett, Jabba and all the bounty hunters, and maybe Han confronting Qi'ra again....

Smaller budget for sure. And probably an August or December release date instead of May.

Solo is a good movie, even though the box office was not great, but it has a very serial feel to it, like a Marvel movie or good couple episodes of a sci fi streaming series...It needs to be followed up with a sequel or spin off to give it more context and legs, and that'll help Blu-ray sales in the long run, and help the 25% of fans who didn't like it to reassess it in a few years.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Darth Smurf and Bor Gullet like this.
  25. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I find it interesting that this theory showed up as a main article on this website as explanation for Solo not hauling as much at the box office. That, Lucasfilm/Disney "did not sell us on Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo." Just as my friend was telling me after leaving the theater, "I just can't see that guy as Han Solo, good actor but not Han." Then this thought occurred to me. When we think of Han Solo, it is virtually impossible for me or you to think of another face than Harrison Ford. Alden neither looks like Harrison nor does he sound like him, like many of you I found it hard to suspend belief. The two men have different facial structure, brow line, (not including Harrison's distinctive scar on his chin, for example).

Then another thought came, everyone remember Rian Johnson's "Looper," right? Joseph Gordon Levitt looks nothing like Bruce Willis, and the filmmakers noticed too. They could remedy this through a prosthetic or cgi or just get another actor. They went the prosthetic route and the payoff was quite good. Not just, Joe's performance but with the prosthetic he even looks like Bruce. I totally bought it. Here is my question, why did this idea not occur to the producers of Solo, as a viable solution? [face_dunno]