main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Spielberg helped reel JJ to direct Episode VII after he first said no since they are friends and have worked together. Just like anything in life, it's often not what you know but who you know.

And I am fine with the casting. There is no way anyone can play the part as well as Ford did (it's iconic period never to be touched) but Alden as the ability to do a fine good job with it. That said, I am still not that excited about the project. Sure I will go see it since I am a Star Wars nut but this might be the first Star Wars movie I might not see Opening Day (or night).

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    By the time this movie is made Alden Ehrenreich will be a whole two years younger than Harrison Ford was in A New Hope. So get ready for the slightly younger adventures of Han Solo!

11-4D likes this.
  3. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Slightly younger and completely different looking and sounding. The guy is great, but I still think this movie is a terrible idea.

4. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Good luck Alden Ehrenreich! I wonder if it'll later be revealed that they'll get Harrison Ford to "bookend" the movie, telling the tale from an older Han's perspective? That'd work like Nimoy did with Quinto in Star Trek 09. Might help with acceptance of the new actor in the role - "passing the baton," so to speak.

TBH, what I'm actually not sure about is the choice of it being the tale of Han meeting Chewie. Do we really need to see that? Memories of, "Anakin Skywalker, this is Obi-Wan Kenobi," come into play.

Show me the Kessel Run!

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it would be good at a start if this time they actually use some of the storyline that Lucas left them for the solo Solo movie.

No one knows Han better than the man who created him and for a time in his life in effect was him.

One wonders if that could even be part of Lucas' storyline since they did that overall in the Young Indy series and Ford himself did that for the series for one episode:

Shamear likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I hope you're not referring to the idea that Han was an orphan raised by Wookiees on Kashyyyk.[face_sick]

11-4D likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope when they announce him they have a picture of him in costume like they did for Rogue One. I really want to see his look for the film.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Same. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy is great but instead of making a young Han Solo movie I wish he was playing a new character in a non prequel Star Wars film.

It's funny, everything about this movie sounds great except the idea that it's a Han Solo movie. The directors have made great movies, Kasdan writing is great, Ehrenreich was great in Hail Caesar! All of this sounds like the perfect recipe for a great Star Wars movie...until you add in the young Han Solo part. That said, and I'm going to totally contradict myself here, I do think this movie could end up being a hell of a lot of fun. It could be the 21 Jump Street movie all over again, i.e. an idea that sounds terrible on paper that ended up paying off in the end.

9. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Wait till they pull an Eric Stoltz BTTF stunt..."This isn't working. I'm not buying it in these dailies. Somebody get me that YouTube guy on the phone!"

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Haven't seen this guy in much but good for him for winning the role and base on what I've read about him it sounds like he will do just fine. I just have such weird feeling about seeing someone else play Han Solo.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I could see a comical photo shoot in Entertainment Weekly with Alden holding up Han's vest while giving it a quizzical look.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if this is what people felt like when Roger Moore first started playing James Bond.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually I like that one but obviously it didn't make the movies.

[​IMG]

Thousands of things considered never make the movies.

Well as The Saint he sort of had being playing Bond for years.

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Welcome to the 21st century where Millennials pilot the Millennium Falcon!

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I was thinking about that and I know that other actors can take over a character and do a good job but in this case it's like my favorite movie hero ever so I'm having a more difficult time with it I think.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think we'll see that for a while. When they announced Felicity Jones last year at the annual investor's conference (or whatever), along with the title, they just had a headshot of her. The picture of the characters all together didn't get released until the start of production announcement given at D23.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Good point. Maybe we'll see something around this time next year?

18. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    I'd be more inclined to buy Alden in this role if he were four inches taller! It's not just the height, but the physical build of someone who is tall is different from someone of unremarkable height. (Lifts! He'll have hidden platforms in his shoes!) Plus he doesn't look that much younger than Harrison did in ANH. People use Obi-Wan as an example, but Ewan was much, much younger than Alec. There's more room for the imagination there!

HanSolo29 likes this.
  19. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I would love if they managed to get Harrison Ford to do that. That way we could see him in the role yet another time, even if it was for a couple of minutes.

Now I'm waiting for the official confirmation of the casting. I was rooting for Jack Reynor, but Alden may be fine for the role, we'll see.

20. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    I think this guys performance will be fine, it's his complete lack of resemblance to Harrison Ford that will throw me off. It's not like Obi-Wan going from Guiness to McGregor, where the 30 odd year gap could be considered believable. Seeing this is set only five or so years prior to ANH, I'm going to find it very hard to accept that this is meant to be the same person.

11-4D and HanSolo29 like this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    In regards to his age, it's pretty easy to make an actor look younger or older (as needed) on-film. Happens all the time. Heck Daisy Ridley looks noticeably younger/more innocent when she plays Rey than she does normally.

So I'm not concerned in that regard.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  22. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    This is all a farce. Disney is going to make Han Solo a female.

LoveThis likes this.
  23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Great choice! I was hoping either him or Taron Egerton would get the role.

24. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016

It would go a long way to 'selling' the new guy in the role.

Personally, I liked Anthony Ingruber, who played a young version of Harrison Ford's character in The Age of Adeline - but he didn't even make the shortlist! Shame. He even did the voice.

Whatever. In spite of my initial misgivings about the idea of doing a young Han Solo movie, I say good luck to all involved. I hope it works, i really do. Gotta remain open-minded about these things!

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    My thoughts exactly. That's the real issue I'm having with this. I understand that this guy can be great and this could really turn out to be a fun film, but like someone else said, not with Han Solo. Looks are not everything, sure, but this is supposed to take place in the same canon, so there should be some kind of resemblance. Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing it here. Maybe slightly. I would love to see him in costume with hair and makeup. That sort of thing is a lot more excusable with a larger gap in the timeline between films, such as what happened with Obi-Wan.

Of course, if things go south with this, I could always shut it out of my memory and continue to think of Harrison Ford as the only definitive Han, so there's that.