main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I've worked on this sketch a bit more. On our left side is Harrison, right side is Alden.

[​IMG]

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Lucasfilm has given this fandom the greatest gift of all: something to always be upset about.

What's funny to me is how much Harrison's appearance changed. He seems way different to me in ANH than he did in ESB, ROTJ (and Indiana Jones).

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Disney is not making this movie. Lucasfilm is. Lucasfilm has the same level of creative control over what they make as Marvel Studios has, which is more or less absolute. And Lawrence Kasdan was hired to write this movie by George Lucas himself, based off of Lucas' own ideas, before the company was even sold to Disney. Let's not write off the film as "any old rubbish" or "bad" over two years before it comes out, before we know anything substantial about it or they even start shooting. All we have to go off of in terms of the quality of Lucasfilm's output is The Force Awakens, which the vast majority of critics, fans, and audience members responded to extremely positively.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Kasdan, the guy who's written Han very well in two movies, separate by 35 years, at two very different stages of his life. So why shouldn't I give him the benefit of the doubt that he can do so again, he's given me no reason not to. And with Lord & Miller involved, I have even less reason to be pessimistic.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hmm well Luke was nineteen during A New Hope so presumably a young Luke movie would focus on somebody younger than that. In that case they'd likely cast a child actor. If that happened my main problem wouldn't be so much about another actor playing Luke but rather that I wouldn't want to watch a movie about a 13 year old Luke doing chores on his uncle's farm.

LoveThis likes this.
  6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, why wouldn't I? I think there is a biiiig difference between "looks like" and exact clone. Enrenreich looks like Han.

As long as who ever they cast for Luke or Leia, "looked like" Mark or Carrie, I'd be fine with it. I don't need every detail to be exact, I don't need them to be a twin lost at birth, I just need a passing similarity.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

You think so? Fair enough. I don't think Ehrenreich looks anything like Han. The thing is, a lot of people are saying that it doesn't matter if the actor looks like Han. My question was to those people

8. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    We've had four (five? six?) Anakin's, 3 obiwan's, a smattering of other characters recast between TCW and the movies. Yeah, I have no problem with more great stories about these characters if they must be recast to do them. To me, if the actor's got chops and the story is there, no problem.

Let's not strangle a project in the cradle because it *might* suck.

Skydoll, TX-20 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Yeah, but if they made a Luke or Leia movie, that takes place just days before A New Hope, would you have a problem with actors that look nothing like them being Cast in their Roles?

10. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Only after watching the movie and determining that it didn't work.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    I'm just sayin'...
    • Alec Guiness - 5'10", Ewan McGregor - 5'10"
    • Hayden Christensen - 6'0", Sebastian Shaw 6'2", David Prowse 6'5" (but to be fair, by the time Anakin is Darth Vader, his legs have been cut off, replaced with prosthetics, and he's essentially a cyborg.
    • Harrison Ford - 6'1", Alden Ehrenreich 5'9"
    It's like the move should be named the adventures of a slightly younger Han Solo who goes through a belated and yet significant growth spurt after his early 20s.

12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    All depends on whether there's an interesting story to tell. My main Han film reservation is that his story prior to ANH has never really intrigued me. If they've got a Good story, cool

13. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm ALL IN on the casting choice! Listen to TInk and 'GIVE HIM A CHANCE!'

[​IMG]

Most of my faith is being put in the writers/producers/director rather than solely on Alden Ehrenreich himself.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Films have literally no problem making characters seem taller or shorter than they are if they need to. Ewan didn't play Alec because of his height.

TX-20 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  15. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Fair enough. [face_peace] I just get passionate about this Topic, because I just wont be able to accept a young Han Solo if he doesn't look like OT Han. The Han Solo anthology is not a Reboot, so there needs to be a physical continuity between the 20 something Han, and the 30 something Han.

LoveThis likes this.
  16. LoveThis

Apr 18, 2016
    clinteastwoodbradfield, no Ewan didn't get cast as Obi-Wan because he was the same height, but the fact that he was about the same size did work well for continuity and for the general physical presence of the character.

17. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    How old is Han supposed to be in the Han Solo movie?

Is it true he's going to make a cameo in Rogue One? Because if that takes place right before ANH, it's going to be totally jarring that in the continuity Han looks like a completely different person only a few weeks before ANH.

LoveThis and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  18. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Exactly this.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    If anything it shows that height isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day. They've been making actors look taller since the beginning of film.

20. LoveThis

Apr 18, 2016
    You're kidding, right? Darth Vader is the one character where a height change can be motivated by reasonable narrative developments... like getting your legs cut off and needing to replace them with prosthetics!!!! When you're more than half machine already does it matter?

Han on the other hand has no other narrative device to explain growing four inches from age 19-29 other than a late growth spurt. I suppose anything can happen in the GFFA!

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    What is your narrative for him going from 6'1" to 6'5" in the same movie?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    It's not like he's going to be walking around next to a ruler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. Thrilled that the Ingruber option was rejected. I imagine he was probably ruled out early in the casting process. No way he could compete with accomplished young actors like Ehrenreich.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Better example. Tom Cruise comes across as quite tall in Magnolia. This is one of the easiest issues to get around with a film. And it's not as if Ehrenreich is THAT short. He's 5 foot nine. He's not a hobbit.

25. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    I'm more worried about a Han Solo cameo in Rogue one for story reasons. I can't think of a reason for him to be there other than a "hey look it's Han!" moment.