main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope, we're not starting with stuff like this. You can be unhappy with the casting, but learn to express your opinion without insults, and disparaging remarks.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If Han Solo movie is set 5 years before ANH then Alden is a recasting of Han Solo not a guy playing a younger version cause we all know the younger version was Harrison Ford in 1977....

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Based on...what, exactly?

I will forever be skeptical of fan concerns about casting because of the Heath Ledger as Joker example. Fans aren't collectively hired as casting directors for a reason. They suck at it.

ZY-Fighter and CEB like this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This happens time and time and time again and nobody seems to ever learn from it.

"Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? That washed up drug addict?"
    Iron Man rises from C-List to A-List almost overnight, almost entirely due to Downey Jr's. performance.

"Heath Ledger?? The Joker?? Yeah, right, okay."
    Wins an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, quickly and enduringly becomes the most iconic incarnation of the character.

"Ben Affleck? As Batman? Christian Bale must be rolling over in his future grave."
    His performance is perhaps the best reviewed part of the poorly reviewed movie, garnering near unanimous approval.

And perhaps the most relevant to the current discussion:
    "How could they possibly recast the original Star Trek characters? How are we supposed to buy them as slightly younger versions of the ones we know and love? Shatner and Nimoy are Kirk and Spock, and that's that."
    The new cast is consistently regarded as the single best thing about the new movies, even amongst their harshest critics.

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Amen. A debate-ender, really.

ZY-Fighter and PymParticles like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015

None of those examples you gave are recasts within the same canon/timeline. Not only does this guy have to be good (which I'm sure he will), but we also have to buy him being the same person played by someone else a few years later. That'll be tough, I'm eager to see this guy in costume.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Star Trek is an alt timeline but that doesn't "excuse" some characters looking like completely different people. Some of them would have been born before the timeline split. And yet, when both Spocks are on screen together in the first film, you buy it. When Spock takes out a photograph of the original cast in Beyond, you accept they're the same people.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    That's splitting hairs. The point is that after lots of teeth-gnashing, fans will generally accept recasts if the actors are great and capture the spirit of their respective characters.

And in any event, recasts within the same timelines and canon have been successful before as well. Game of Thrones is a famous example of this, where nearly every single recast has been ultimately viewed as a positive thing based on the strength of the new actor (The Mountain, Tommen, Myrcella, Daario, etc).

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It's all about suspending disbelief. I have absolutely no doubt that there are people already who are so affronted by the idea of another actor playing Han that they will sit in the theatre with arms folded with the intention only of taking mental notes about how many ways they can describe what was terrible about it.

But, ultimately these films do involve suspensions of disbelief that range from trivial to significant, and how jarring they are comes down to how much of a pass we give the film. It's the film I'm least excited by on the grounds that I want the universe widened, not the further adventures of people we already know. But my hopes for the film are; Lawrence Kasdan writes a great, witty script, and Alden captures the spirit of the character.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also do I think that the majority of the GA, who don't knitpick things to death, will care about Alden's physical appearance if he's good in the role and captures the spirit of Han. No, I don't and I have plenty of past precedent to back that notion up.

12. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Dumbledore in Harry Potter was recast midway through the series and nobody battered an eyelid.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The original actor died after COS.

14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I know, but the recast was a major success.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh. He had his moments but the original was better imo.

16. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016

HARRY DID YE PUT YA NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYAH???!?!??!!!??!??!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly having read the books, Dumbledore 2.0 (aka Michael Gambon) fit the role much better imo. Sir Richard Harris (the first guy) was good, but he played the role as too much of an "old man."

18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think Michael Gambon was miscast, misdirected and uninterested. Dumbledore should be grandfatherly but mischievous and with a steel core; Gambon played him as distant and aggressive albeit ultimately good.

I don't think Harris was particularly good either. Really, McKellan's Gandalf is closer in character to Dumbledore than to Gandalf, but I think Stephen Fry would have made a good Dumbledore

19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Harris fit the role better in the first two films, because they were more like kids movies. I liked Gambon in 3, 6 and 7 - but honestly, in 4 and 5 he made Dumbledore look like a huge d*ck. Sure Dumbledore was a tough guy alright, but he was always a kind man in the books. They made Gambon act more soft and kind in 6 and 7 though, possibly because of backlash.

20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    But that's a writing issue, not a casting one.

21. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    ^In that case, I could counter-argument by saying that Harris "too kind"-acting in 1 and 2 was a writing issue aswell. Seriously, you have to look at the actors.

Anyway, you can't really compare Dumbledore's recast with Han Solo.

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I really didn't want Obi-Wan to be recast, especially with some guy out of Trainspotting. I've already been through the seven stages of grief for recasting in Star Wars, and I reached "acceptance" circa 1998.

23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/.../?hootPostID=ddb9f58738945433e30fad8bd15d7124

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014