main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Cast of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Galileos

Galileos Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm still disappointed with the casting : no french actor for a film about "resistance"... I mean, this is clearly a reference of the WW2 (New Order >< Resistance)
    Anyway, what a joy to see Mads Mikkelsen and Forest Whitaker.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

You have the name for the character, let's hear it please.

3. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    I think Rebels are more a nod to American Revolution against the Empire/ English.
    Lei Organa was somewhat inspired by women of the rebels of the Villa revolution.
    While the Empire visually and thematically clearly alludes to much of the rise of the Third Reich, rebellion and resistance cropped up throughout Europe, France and many more, as well as US beginning with the international Lincoln Brigades, which were a very multicultural group similar to the idea of this cast.

4. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    Nice straw man, quote me anywhere I even suggested that.

I pointed out if Biggs had the Death Star plans to begin with, it diminishes the set-up and plot of ANH, and Leia's desperate mission to get the plans TO the Rebels. If the guy[Biggs] who already had the plans is ALREADY standing right there amongst the Rebels.

I think if the Diego Luna character (and his group)'s last desperate act is to transmit the Death Star plans to Leia, ,so that she can somehow risk all to deliver them to the Rebels.
    The idea of having him already standing there with the Rebels when she get's there, is idiotic!

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    o_O I'd be happy to discuss things with you in a constructive manner if you'd relax. We're just talking about a movie. I don't care what you think of my speculation, but it's difficult to take your thoughts into consideration when you've got the angry all caps / bold thing on full volume.

6. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    So of the 9 featured, if this film is like the Dirty Dozen (more a half/dozen not a one to one). One of these guys has to be the Lee Marvin (Major Reisman) type character that is asked to put together the team. Who might it be?

-Alan Tudyk we know is a CG alien character, that could be odd as the commander, but why not, we had Akbar.
    Although, he's probably to much fun to be a gruff Commander, he'll probably be part of the mission crew.
    -Ben Mendelsohn was he confirmed as the villain?
    -Mads Mikkelsen is likely the most obvious to play a villain, but maybe they'll go against type, and cast him as the heroic commander. Who are we kidding, he'll be the independent . hunter hired by the Empire.
    -So that leaves Forest Whitaker as potentially the Rebel Commander who puts together the Rogue One team.
    Thoughts?

7. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

So on set - we've pinpointed Jones, Luna, Yen, Wen and Tudyk.
    Of the main cast announced, missing most obvious from the established Rogue crew is Ahmed (unless someone else spotted him in those pics.?)
    And Mikkelsen, Whitaker & Mendelsohn. (Who are more likely in Rebel "Commander" type positions, since they weren't part of the official released Rogue portrait. Or they Are on the Imperial side.

Some fun speculation-
    Reasons(guesses) as to why wear a creepy long black hooded robe on set?:
    - It's an actual costume, hey this is one franchise where people actually do wear long hooded robes, but no, this one seems to be sashed at the waist, not very Jedi or Sith like.
    - It's a personal robe brought from home by the actor(or extra), ok, cozy, but waaay creepy! Who just hangs out in such a thing, no.
    - It's a film dept, provision for:
    --- Random actors to just hang out in while they wait, ...so only one person on the whole set decided to wear his/hers?
    --- More specific to protect a delicate costume and/or make up from the elements, until their actual screen time.
    --- A Soldier coated in something to be flammable or sensitively rigged to be fx blown-away, (the set is full of explosions and fire dept.)
    --- It's a recognizable character from previous instalments, whose presence would give away plot points. - So Who?
    --- It's one of the actors listed, in a uniform and makeup, who spotted would give away plot points. - So who?

More speculation?

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Isn't there water nearby in these scenes...? The black hooded person may just be wearing the robe because they are wet/cold. I much prefer speculating about him/her being something mysterious though :cool:

9. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    Yes the whole crash site, bunker, and the tent where mystery guy is, are all right near the water.
    You are right, he may just be wet and cold LOL! ....still a spooky robe is still spooky. :p
    He is in this pic too... You can see how near the water it all is. So you are probably right.
    [​IMG]

And Django Fett pointed out, he did see Troopers wearing them, on the Force Awakens set. -http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cember-16-2016.50028179/page-69#post-52696325
    Anyone have a pic. of that?

10. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    Bechdel warning!
    I love that Jones is the lead, and how diverse that cast is, but could Rogue One use at least another female main character?
    That's an 8 to 1 cast.
    [​IMG]

11. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
  12. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    As far a s
    It'd be fine if a mod moved it to that thread.
    As far as white males I think they are covered with Mads Mikkelsen, Ben Mendelsohn, Alan Tudyk(probably doesn't count since he's alien) .
    Honestly it's not so much about %quota as you suggest, but about character.
    Amongst these "slightly morally murky characters" there is likely going to be a narrative of character evolution,. From some tension, mistrust, and animosity - To a bonding, empathy, and strong emotional connections and trust. As they try and accomplish the mission. All the characters and bonding she has to play off are male, just tends to be the usual lopsided cliche we get in film.
    The original trilogy ended up with a similar dynamic. Could be nice to see two women connect on mission, in one of these films.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've decided I will just wait and see who these characters are. I'd love for Luna to play Biggs, but I guess I could go any which way. I'm sure when we finally see a trailer that might help abit.

Not long now!!

15. Breogan

Apr 20, 2015
    Was this ever confirmed/denied?
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/27/sherlock-actor-jonathan-aris-rogue-one