main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Diego Luna (Captain Cassian Andor) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, May 13, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ah, yeah, the "6 years old" line jumped out at me because he has to be referencing the Clone Wars. Unless he started fighting the Empire at age 6 on Empire Day but him taking the Clone Wars into account makes a lot more sense.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

what vid was this?

4. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    ¡Gracias Diego!

Representing the Latin-American Fan Nations with pride and then some

A mixed performance, for a mixed character--he nails it, right on target in my opinion

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think Cassian's rank insignia means? I know that Imperial rank insignia's were a mess in the OT, but they had to have put some thought into it while making RO. What rank do you think that it indicated? (Sorry if someone already asked that somewhere.)

6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Do people really need dialogue to understand that Cassian is conflicted when he's aiming at Galen? It's about as obvious as a jackhammer. If you didn'nt see that in Diego's performance, you're either dumb or not paying attention.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I'm starting to understand why they added the "Nooooooo" at the end of ROTJ now. Maybe people actually were confused...... Oy Vey

Revanfan1, J7Luke, Blue 5 and 2 others like this.
  8. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I thought Diego Luna was fantastic. Cassian wouldn't be the same as anybody else, and it must have felt great for Diego being selected so early in the casting.

I thought Diego had one of the most dynamic performances in the movie. I like how Cassian was a serious character, too, and not a character who always cracked jokes or was overly dramatic.

Avnar and J7Luke like this.
  9. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I liked Cassian. I liked him a lot.

He looks like a man nearing his limit. He's done terrible things in the service of the rebellion. Things that would normally be against his nature ("Does he have the face of a killer?" "No, he has the face of a friend"). As he kills his informant on Kafrene, the look on his face goes from worry, to compassion to blank as he kills him. He stays a moment to collect himself. Then he leaves. He didn't want to do it, but he had no choice and the man's death obviously weighs on him as does everything he has done.

His orders to kill Galen from General Draven are barely acknowledged. To kill Jyn's father is one death too many for him. When he fails to kill Galen, he's done and he knows it. One wonders if he had survived Scarif would he have been of any further use as a field operative. He went with Jyn to Scarif, not because of her, but to try to keep the positive meaning in all the horrific things he'd done for the Rebellion. He's a man fighting to hold onto his soul.

As for the actor, he played Cassian expertly and understatedly. As a real man in that position would be. A man with secrets, a man under tremendous self-recrimination, a man wound tight. I was thinking, "He's hot." and "Have I seen him before?"

Someone mentioned his filmography and the movie "Frida" was listed. I love that movie and have seen it several times and I know all the actors in the movie. I wondered how I could have missed him since he is so attractive. Going over it in my mind, it suddenly hit me. Diego had a tiny role, but it was memorable. He was school-girl Frida's handsome young boyfriend she was making out with in the closet at the beginning of the movie. Nice.[face_love]

BigAl6ft6 and J7Luke like this.
  10. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    Could someone post a picture of the Cassian page out of a Visual Dictionary? I am curious what it says. Thanks!

I'm asking because I want to know what these cylinders were:
    [​IMG]

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

As I said in my post which you quoted, "you have to read a lot into Luna's performance (which is there) as opposed to what is in the script itself". So this is a case of the actor being better than the script.

12. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    It's a good example of Show, don't tell. No need for dialogue to explain Cassian's conflict. In fact if he had said "I don't know if I can do it" it would have been lame

Revanfan1, Jim Smith, Blue 5 and 4 others like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    No. The quality of a script does not have to do with how much dialogue is shoved into it. I'd argue that 2001: A Space Oddysey has a great script, and it's very, very sparse on dialogue. A screenwriter that shows restraint and minimalism can be a much better screenwriter than one who spells everything out in dialogue for the audience.

So I'd say Rogue One has a good script that trusts the audience's intelligence, as well as a great director and great actors that are able to convey a lot without words.

Movies should not be treated as merely filmed plays. They are a uniquely visual medium, and Edwards really understands that.

Exactly. Which is why "more words" doesn't equal "better script." The script is, indeed, better because it doesn't give Cassian dialogue in that moment.

Jim Smith likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oswin Oswald likes this.
  15. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Blue 5 likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't believe he wasn't Biggs. I thought for sure he would be... :p

17. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Brought much needed grittyness to the film. To be fair they all did. Bring on the violence, the violence of war. None of that war is great malarck that even the OT did. Has the tendency to sanitize war. That's exactly it the war scenes are designed to express on to people the realities of armed conflict and the fragility of life.

18. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Cassian doesn't get enough credit for getting those Death Troopers who went with Krennic into the vault. He blasted the one on the right and then headshotted the second one...the one that took a long tumble.

Avnar likes this.
  19. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Cassian is actually one of the more interesting characters we've had in SW (good combination of writing and acting). The more I watch Rogue One, the more I'm impressed with Diego Luna. His non-verbal acting is quite good and sometimes fairly subtle.

Avnar, Jim Smith and Gigoran Monk like this.
  20. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    A theory of mine is that Capt Cassian was well on his to becoming a Bounty Hunter. He was in the pay of the Rebel Alliance.as a professional Assassin. In Rogue One his job was to be a hitman sent to gun down Galen and those Imperial informants.The Rebel Command could at any stage disowned him and he would have found the pay of a Bounty Hunter good.

21. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Huh?

Cassian: "I've been in this fight since I was six years old."

He was in it for the cause, through and through. The exact opposite of what you're describing.

What about Cassian suggests bounty hunter?

22. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Right on. If Captain Andor would've had some voice-over dialogue as he was pointing his blaster at Galen Erso's head it most definitely would've been lame. We are all not 4 years old anymore, we don't need stuff spelled out for us that much. Remember folks less is more. ;)

Revanfan1 and Porkins2099 like this.
  23. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

He may have been but to the Rebel Alliance he could become a liability overtime. Specially if they are recruiting volunteers. Come join the Rebellion and become an assassin. "Forget that i'll chance my arm as a Bounty Hunter, i hear Jabba's paying top sums for a head of rival."

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    But Cassian clearly wasn't interested in money. The entire film paints him as deeply committed to the Rebel cause. To the point of being willing to kill informants if they might jeopardize the cause. In that context, what is it about Cassian, as a character, that leads you to make this unsubstantiated assumption? I'm legitimately curious.

25. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

The Rebellion disowns him seeing how the Senators are already surrendering to the Empire. Cassian ends up working for Jyn which showed his disdain with what the military commanders were up to. Bounty Hunters in the Star Wars Universe is a respectable profession. Get himself hired out to shoot Imperials for good pay and security. It's a job that pays the rent. The problem with the Rebellion is that once those measly mouthed Senators have their way the Rebellion will be made up of pacifists that want to cave into Imperial demands. The likes of Cassian won't stick long in that line of work.