main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Official Info] Director Josh Trank no longer on for Anthology movie

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well then thank the gods we were spared more Dash Rendar.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    He just tweeted me directly and said the 4chan selfie was photoshopped.

3. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  5. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I have to admit, though, it was nice to briefly live in a topsy-turvy world where Disney were prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to make a big budget, live action sequel to Shadows of the Empire.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I fantasized about a Shadows of the Empire movie from the moment Disney announced they'd be doing films set outside lf the saga. Hopefully (despite the validity or lack thereof of this post, I really do feel bad for Trank) they're working on something similar.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Shadows of the Empire was the very first thing that came to mind when I heard they would be doing anthology films. I thought it was the obvious choice for them to do a film on. And was quite disappointed when I learned it wouldn't happen because Shadows is now considered not canon.

Although a live action film is out of the question, I'm still hoping for a Clone Wars style animated movie.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I personally think SOTE will be one of the first bits of the pre-ROTJ era to get very clearly overwritten. Marvel will be writing a new story for that time period--that's my guess.

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  11. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    So what was Trank's anthology movie going to be about? I heard it wasn't the Solo one that was just announced.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    According to the Hollywood Reporter it was the one about Boba Fett.

13. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
  14. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Down to 9% and reviews indicating that Trank is very clearly to blame for a lot of the problems.

Seems like a shrewd move to get rid of him, frankly.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Up to 11%. I feel bad, honestly. Chronicle showed a lot of talent and promise from Trank, and I'm hoping he can overcome whatever personal problems or vices he had on the set of this movie to rehabilitate his admittedly fledgling career.

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    never wanted him near a SW movie, glad he's gone,
    so what does this say about Simon Kinberg who wrote the screenplay.....

17. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

And then he deleted it 10 minutes later.

starocean90 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The fact is, this is a Frankenstein's monster of a movie, cobbled together from original footage and reshoots as a salvage job. I don't think it says much of anything about Kinberg.

19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Kinberg, on average, is just an okay writer. The best thing he's done is Days of Future Past, but when you have Bryan Singer on an X-Men film, I think a lot of that success has to go to him. The rest of Kinberg's writing filmography is not good (XXX, Jumper, This Means War, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter). Certainly, F4 shouldn't be a huge surprise based on that record.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think his work on Rebels indicates that he's a decent SW writer at least. His filmography is fairly average, it's true, but one of the themes of the F4 reviews is that it feels hollow and somewhat schizophrenic, and I wouldn't hang that on the feet of someone who apparent did his best to stop it from being a complete trainwreck.

21. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    TV is a different animal from film though. It's one thing to write a good script for a 20 minute cartoon on Disney channel, totally different to write a good 2 hour movie with $120 million riding on it.

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Kinberg is average and I thought the story for X-Men DOFP was also written by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn,with Kinberg writing the screenplay....

as for Rebels didn't he only write one episode and the rest he's just involved since he's a producer and part of the story group???

23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, though. Every interview I've seen him do regarding SW indicates to me that he has a good grasp on the universe; what's more, he's most likely writing the Boba Fett film, which doesn't really demand a lot of complexity.

Edit: starocean90, Kinberg wrote Spark of Rebellion and Fire Across the Galaxy, and co-wrote Call to Action and the Zeb short.

24. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, I don't really care if the Boba Fett movie sucks anyways. At the moment, the only Anthology I'm invested in is Rogue One and more for the fact that it's a woman in the lead role.

25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    just seems to me like he's one of those writers who needs good and experienced people with him otherwise.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.