main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I was into it. It felt like Glover was striking the right balance between recreating Billy Dee Williams's mannerisms while also expanding on them. I actively felt like I was learning more about Lando just by watching him.

And I enjoyed the Lando-Han dynamic.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was shocked at how well he did with Lando and I want more.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He and Alden did a great job of making us feel like we were seeing Han and Lando from their highschool days, with all the awkwardness that comes with that.

5. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Loved the wardrobe. The shoes the bag everything.

I may start wearing capes when I go to work on monday

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Somewhere, someone's going to write a review of Solo titled "needs more Glover."

Cave of Erised and Gamma626 like this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Is one of the capes that Qi'ra tried on the cape Lando was wearing in Empire Strikes Back?

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    And this is the reason why C3PO later in the OT has this jealous expression on his face
    [​IMG]

Glitterstimm likes this.
  9. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    People want to label everything now, as if they're desperately hoping everyone identifying as label will be drawn to a movie by that alone.
    Glover's manner-of-speech was just right, particularly in his first scenes playing Sabacc (and the second one) and then presenting the Falcon. I've only seen him in "Community" and "The Martian" so I wasn't sure about how Lando would be presented.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Glover did a good job I felt, but I heard a lot of people saying how he would 'steal the show'.
    For me, he definitely enhanced the show, but Alden has proved more than capable of stealing back any show that might potentially of been stolen. Let's say they both did a great job and complimented each other really well.
    The scene with Han putting his arm around the despondent Calrissian's shoulder as they look at the Falcon was on the money.

One thing though, when L3 insists 'it works', does she mean.........

...woah, go Landonis !

AV-6R7 and Siphonophore like this.
  11. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Lando: "YOO-hoo."
    Hilarious.

Just as Billy Dee is a pitchman for Colt 45, Donald could sell Yoo-hoo with the motto "It works sometimes!"

Count Yubnub likes this.
  12. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    So, has Landonis always been his full first name, or did I dream that L3 called him that?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The subtitles definitely said Landonis. And I don't think any previous Legends or Newcanon source has used it.

14. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah, in the French subtitles that's what it said, but sometimes there can be typos so I wasn't sure.

Well, I guess that's his new name now. Sounds a bit like 'adonis' so that fits maybe?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It could be her pet nickname for him, I suppose.

16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I've actually heard some complain about Glover's performance, but I thought it was solid. Glover and Ehrenreich were fantastic, in my opinion. Lando is still the most debonaire swindler in the galaxy.

Siphonophore likes this.
  17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Donald Glover was spot on, as a young Lando Calrissian.

And by the way. Anybody who thinks that Lando was having sexual relations with his droid co-pilot L3-37, is just projecting their own insecurities onto the Character.[face_thinking]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I think Donald Glover was perfect in this.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I've been trying to figure out what has been the Lando/Han relationship between Solo and ANH, and I've been trying to figure out why they are friends.

Han shows up in Solo and becomes like the biggest moocher ever. He costs Lando his ship and his droid and Lando gets *nothing* out of this arrangement. And my other confusion is why is Lando cooperating with this. I get that in the beginning he has a relationship with Qi'ra & Beckett already, and he feels grateful to Beckett for taking out someone he owed a lot of money to. He is generous in spirit, so he decides to help. I get also why he is like "I hate you" to Han after he loses L3 and Han has significantly wrecked the Falcon. I don't get why he is willing to engage with Han again at the end of the movie. He said he doesn't want to see him again on the refinery planet and he left once Enfys showed up, not wanting to have anything to do with the mess that this was turning into. I get that he feels a bit bad for leaving the others behind, even though I don't think it was really wrong of him to do so (on a personal level one would feel bad about it, at least a little). But he lets Han the moocher back into his life so Han can rip him off again. Naturally, he didn't know that Han had stolen his cheat cards, but still.

So what is their relationship? Is it consistent Han mooching? Because in ESB, Han shows up again asking to rely on Lando's help, resources and generosity. As always, Lando is doing much better than Han is--he now has an entire successful business. Han's course of course brings the Empire to Lando's doorstep, which destroys his city/business. Han has been a force of destruction in Lando's life. But it makes sense that Lando responds by fighting the Empire, because now that he's gotten to deal with Vader firsthand, and learned that the Empire would not have let Cloud City alone, there is no course left to him. He must fight them directly because they make life impossible for everyone.

My suspicion is that Lando cares about hard luck cases. Cloud City is not just a business but a safe capitalist haven that offers protection from both the criminal underground and the Empire, and Lando cares about those people (he cares about people). He cares about setting up a system of win-wins where everyone can benefit as opposed to what the Empire and criminal syndicates set up (they win, you lose).

One thing I wish that Solo showed more was Lando's entrepreneurial spirit (I mean it does show it, but it could have done more with it). He's a sort of capitalist visionary in a way. And it's funny because Beckett calls himself an entrepreneur (lol) but he's not. *Lando* is the entrepreneur.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    chrcharcor2 and Count Yubnub like this.
  20. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    The Falcon being impounded when we first see it -- and Lando's "surprise" outrage -- is a big clue to me. Lando isn't nearly as well off as he pretends to be. He puts his butt on the line for Han and Co. because he needs the money more than he lets on. He may not be broke, but he's not actually rich. Hence his willingness to go on a risky mission and accept just 25% of the take.

I do agree that there's an unspoken soft side to Lando (briefly glimpsed when he and Han talk about their parents). A telling detail is the way he calls Han "kid" despite being roughly the same age. Did Lando have a brother and/or sister? What happened to them? I feel like a sequel would explore Lando and Han's family more, and it'll be a shame if we don't get a full-on Han & Lando buddy movie. That would be the perfect sequel.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    It would indeed be perfect. I also think it's possible. People seem to LOVE Donald as Lando. A straight up sequel to Solo seems kind of impossible, but a Lando film, with Han/Chewie co-starring the way Lando did in Solo should frankly happen, and happen immediately.

oncafar and ComfortablyNunb like this.
  22. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    It would be such a shame -- and a long-term financial mistake -- NOT to keep Donald in the SW universe somehow. I'd pitch a Lando-centric "backdoor sequel." For the sake of argument, let's call it Scoundrels: A Star Wars Story.

Begin the first act with Lando -- see his daily life, romantic escapades, family issues. Then he finds out his little sister is in trouble and enlists Han & Chewie to save her. But it turns out she's something of a hell-raiser herself and gets them all captured. Maybe Han falls for her along the way, creating comedic tension between him and Lando. Eventually, they all have to come up with an elaborate scheme to break out of jail -- the SW equivalent of a super-max prison. The End.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    20% :) This is a good point. I agree. Though I didn't think Lando was rich in Solo. He's doing better than Han though. He has managed to acquire some resources. By the time ESB rolls around, Lando HAS actually managed to find success. I don't know if I'd call him rich in ESB either, as I don't really know how to evaluate "rich" in GFFA. He's definitely prosperous though (prosperous as long as the Empire doesn't find him, and as he says that fear looms over everything--but luckily Han old buddy has arrived to keep the Empire out of there for good!).

But I agree. I think that I fell a bit for Lando's illusion

That's what I was really surprised about--Solo didn't do much with their relationship. But I suppose as a trilogy set up that is fine. The relationship would be more explored in the later movies. (But Solo is flopping...)

24. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I thought I would share the latest SW Instagram post:

OK, I understand that L3 has been put into the falcon. Still, this comment from Lucasfilm just doesn't sit well with me.

First off, it seems as if Lucasfilm is doubling down on this weird relationship b/w Lando and the awful L3. Additionally, they are trying to retcon the destruction of the second Death Star to give L3 credit here, which is rather absurd.

My feeling here is that despite having their buts handed to them in what is easily the worst performing SW movie to date, that nothing will change.
    I have been a fan of SW since I was 7 years old, and I really don't know how much more of this non sense I can take.
    They have essentially ruined the original characters, especially Luke, and now they are making Lando into some sort of sexual deviant. Am I supposed to believe that this is why Lando loves the Falcon? Its pointless and stupid.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    It continues to only be as sexual as you perceive it. The first R2 fell, and that was all thanks to Luke and R2. L3, for a time, was Lando's co-pilot and best friend. Yes, he cares for her, the same way Poe cares for BB-8, Anakin for R2/3PO, and Luke with R2. Sexuality is certainly one way you could read it. I'm not sure how him having a potential relationship with a robot makes him more of a deviant than when he flirted with Leia, or Qi'ra, or the twi'lek women at the end of Solo. Lando has, and always will be, a sexual man.