main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    I'm just curious, but did it bother you when Ewan was cast as Obi-Wan in the prequels? I get that it's not like for like as Alec Guinness was only in Ep. IV, but he was a major character nonetheless.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I really doubt that we will see Luke and Leia recast for "young Luke" or "young Leia" films. Han is different because he was older when we first meet him in ANH, so there's about a decade to play with when he was an adult but before the OT began. Luke and Leia were around 18 or 19 in ANH, so if you go back to an age that makes sense to recast, you're talking about 10 year olds, and Disney does not want to repeat the The Phantom Menace with a 10 year old at the center of this massive film. Although I do think Luke as a small boy will have a cameo in a Kenobi movie on Tatooine.

Glover's casting is perfect. I hope we see young Lando in another movie besides Han Solo.

3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    @ Mister Bones You raise a very fair point. But I have spent decades watching and reading Han Solo with Harrison Ford as that character, and visualized him as Harrison in the novels. Obi Wan as Alec Guiness has much less mystique and representation as Obi Wan. The big difference here is that we got Han as a younger man with Harrison in the OT. Not the same with Guiness as Obi Wan.

I am not a fan of the prequels, but I did enjoy Ewan.

Mister Bones likes this.
  5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You know, if the prequels had been made first, audiences would have been attached to young Obi-Wan just like they were attached to young Han Solo. And when the next trilogy was made, audiences would have been similarly shocked when old Obi-Wan died at the hands of Vader, just like Han's death.

6. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    After seeing "The Lazarus Effect"

I do not like Daniel Glover as Lando... even if he received a bit of plastic surgery and fixed those teeth.. he just doesn't extrude that jive suave 'ol Billy D did

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yes because perfect teeth are the corner stone of any good performance :rolleyes:

8. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    hard for me to take a gap toothed nerd seriously as a swashbuckling womanizing gambler....

and to be clear.. I said "even if he received surgery and fixed those teeth" in other words... his appearance has no bearing on my feeling... and I only bring that up because watching him in interviews... he seems to have corrected some of his more "unique" physical features...

But if you've seen him in lazarus .... one of his more recent feature film appearances... he plays the role of nerd/dork much too well... I just don't see him as the clasic lando... I think in this case the individual making the casting decisions is trying too hard to appease younger (and geekier) fans by casting him

I would have even preferred Anthony Mackie (who I think gets a bad rap.. he can act pretty damn well in character when he's allowed to) to Glover

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So, you were tossing in the worthless insulting assessment of his looks for no other reason than to be ignorant. Got it.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Why is it that every time someone new is cast in any of these films, people here start obsessing over their looks down to the minutia?

JediLight likes this.
  11. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    Fair enough..... I admit I sounded like a D*ck there
    Some of us are very visual .. I often imagine, with a lot of films, who I would have cast in roles.. and often imagine which actors could play roles not yet translated to the big screen

as far as physical appearance, I'd be lying if I said I judge people I meet in real life the same way I judge actors.. but two things

1) in the limited time frame/scope of a 2 hour movie.. physical appearance tells us just as much about a character as the backstory/acting does.. so appearance is very important.. I doubt anyone would cast Anna Kendrick (although a fine actress and singer) as Rey in star wars even though she could pull off the age and proly act the **** out of it...

2) unfortunately, in film... physical appearance dominates casting choices (and for a reason) ... there is a reason actors and actresses have very definable features. Whether those features be pleasant to the eye or repulsing... Donald Glover by no means is an ugly man.. But his "aura" (a better term escapes me atm) doesnt really match up with what I perceive a young Lando Calrissian to be ... to me Donald Glover looks more like a young executive, computer programmer.. or even a music/rap producer/mogul...

But Lando (for me) is different.. he embodies that old school 50's-60's "jazz" persona.. a delicate balance of charm, wit, cynicism, selfishness and heroics....I would have liked to see an actor who manages to capture all of those things ..

I've seen Donald in several roles.. The lazarus effect, the martian, to do list, alexander and the ...(blah blah) as well as the tv series atlanta..So I have an idea of his range..

But to be honest, I'm sure once he adjusts and dons the role I will probably end up liking him or in the least accepting him as Lando

P.S. excuse my typo earlier in the thread ... typed "daniel" meant to type Donald.. I guess I have the more famous Daniel name stuck in my head.. I know the guy from predator 2 wont be lando

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL recent pic of Glover
    [​IMG]

he's getting that Lando stache.:p

13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think Glover is a fantastic choice to play a young Lando.

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

I ****ing love this

He's going to NAIL the part

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Now for the real question: WILL WE SEE HIS LITTLE MANEUVER AT TANAAB?

:p

11-4D likes this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

or what Han pulled

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    So Glover just won an golden globe right. He seems to be getting hot as an actor. Can anyone recommend a film he is in?

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Not a film but you could check out Atlanta which is the show he won the Golden Globe for. It's really good. Community is also great.

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Atlanta's phenomenal. Its awards so far are well-deserved.

Oh, and here's a doctored image which does a good job of convincing me that Glover can do a great Lando:

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk and JediMatteus like this.
  23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i don't know much of glovers work, he seems to be a comedy guy can he do drama? I know atlanta is drama.

24. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Not exactly. It's like Louis CK's tv show on drugs.

25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Like Louie, it's a comedy, but it's also rather realistic. Glover seems very capable of pulling off the more dramatic elements of the script.